The Earth Pony Way (Closed: Applejack)

SteelEagle

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

"Oh, well, actually, Granny made that there treat yer eatin'. She probably made most of this stuff, with me being busy outside all day." Applejack was slightly confused at Twilight's understanding of Applejack's business. Perhaps the alicorn didn't actually know as much as the orange mare thought she did about the workings of apples in Ponyville. Applejack swallowed a bite of a fritter. "About the Cakes, you do know I send them a bushel of apples every other day, right?" Applejack smirked. A chance to teach Twilight something was curiously entertaining. "Our agreement is that we give them a special rate for their non-stop sales, as long as the treats they make give our apples a good name. And, I mean, you've been at Sugarcube Corner. When was the last time an apple tart of theirs ever made you sick?" Applejack scratched the back of her head, ruffling her own mane a bit. "Except of course that time I made muffins with Pinkie."

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SparkleforSteelmedium_zps4c73fc7b.png

Twilight would just have to table the discussion with Applejack, no pun intended. The mare didn't seem to quite get what Twilight was saying. Sweet Apple Acres made pennies where it could make bits when it came to the produce they sold to Sugarcube Corner. Twilight would know- Twilight had seen their books as she went about earlier in the week trying to come up with a feasible new tax plan to both maximize the town's profits while not becoming a burden. If it worked in Ponyville, propose expanding it. Not a subject the Mayor liked the Princess stepping into, but that was an entirely one sided debate for another time. The Cakes treated Applejack fairly and even cut her a good deal compared to others, but the produce that was spent making what was made in relation to the profit that the farm made from it was inefficient. Twilight had crunched a few numbers a few times during the boring hours of pre-dawn as her mind wandered off into fantasy. A full-blown shop run by the Apples would not advertise the brand any better than it was being advertised, but that was a moot point either way: Everypony in Ponyville knew the Apples.

Better advertisement was thus not the real goal of Applejack's kind offer- it was a friend helping a friend and beyond that, an enterprise helping a small business. Noble and wonderful an indicative of all the things that made Applejack, and indeed the Apples, special ponies. But it was bad business for them. A shop would not help there, no. Instead, it would see the farm's profits increased as instead of working through others, they could sell direct and had a far superior aility to manage heavy traffic in the marketplace and quality storage for unsold produce. Solid growth off the bat would continue for anywhere from twelve to eighteen quarters, where it would start to taper off until growth stabilized anywhere from twenty four to thirty months. An initial investment of some six thousand bits would yield, after all taxes and consideration, twenty-eight to thirty thousand bits per year. This was in addition to their normal offerings which, if planned properly, would be unaffected. Of course the Apples weren;t like Twilight- they didn't plan as effectively. That was why she had drawn up the whole business model while in the bath, just in case.

But still, she'd let Applejack get away this time.

"Well, I guess I'm not as familiar with your business model as I thought, Applejack," Twilight smiled, scarfing down Granny's fritter until nothing remained but crumbs, "and apparently I'm not familiar enough with your cooking. I had no idea Granny Smith made this! To think that at her age..." a sudden thought struck her, though she did not immediately jump on it, "is this a recipe that many of the Apples know? Who made it? How old is Granny Smith?" She asked, the pad and paper in her saddlebag jiggling around. The question seemed asinine- she was quite ancient and the last remaining original settler of Ponyville, which made her between the ages a million and billion in foal years- but held the kernel to an answer that she was seeking.

• 2 months later...

Applejack felt only slightly satisfied with being able to trump Twilight's understanding of Apple family business. But unlike her rainbow friend, Twilight wasn't too anxious to come back with a competitive rebuttal. Instead she asked about the cooking knowledge on the farm, and Granny's age. "Well, Granny has taught me just about everything she knows about cooking. Big Mac doesn't really know much about cooking, but he'll sometimes help the other family members out with a stir or a spill. And Apple Bloom..." Applejack looked down, as she realized right away that the knowledge of cooking in her family ended with her. Her little sister was inspirational in many fields, and on sometimes imaginary all of them at the same time. But Applejack still had the faint taste of those blueberry muffins Apple Bloom tried to make a couple moons ago--they were awful! "AB doesn't cook much either. But she still has a lot to figure out and learn!" Applejack finished with confidence.

As for Granny's age, Applejack was a little put off that Twilight would ask such a question, but in a non-offended, Granny-would-be-upset sorta way. Truth be told, Applejack herself didn't really know how old she was. It was around the time that Applejack got her cutie mark that she lost count of her elder's years, but that also Granny was more and more reluctant to explain her age to anypony anyway. "Well, Twilight. She's older than Ponyville, I know that much! You see all those trees in the fields? Yeah, none of those were even saplings when she and her family came to the area. So I reckon you could find out her age by finding the oldest tree in the orchard and she'll be a few years older than that. She said she was five last time she told the story." Of course, the many times Granny told the story, she was also eight, twelve, nine and a half, and three. So who knows.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Ah, so it was a skill mostly passed down the family lines. Twilight understood that well enough and respected the skills and lessons that followed families across the passages of time. Her father was just as studious as she and gave just as much concern to the details as anypony else, another little tick she got from him. If it had not been for him, Twilight could not even begin to guess who or what she would be. Maybe she would have taken more after her mother and been more invested in creative rather than non-fictional works and devoted a greater deal of time to the fancies of the heart instead of the demands of the brain? Well, no matter. Spending time with Applejack certainly satisfied both requirements. It was a little surprising to hear that little Apple Bloom didn't have the same way with cooking as her siblings did, but there was always hope- no matter what Applejack's pauses stated.

"Well, with the help of Granny Smith, yourself, and Big Mac, I'm sure she'll grow up to be just as good a baker as anypony else. You really don't give yourself half the credit you deserve when it comes to raising her and helping her become the pony she is. I was a hooffull when I was her age as well and I had two parents and a Princess looking out for me!" Twilight left, levitating another bite into her maw which was quickly washed down by some nice cider, "I'm sure she'll learn if you are her teacher."

And it did appear as though Granny Smith's age was a mystery not even the Apples could solve. She was indeed old- it took many decades for trees of that caliber to grow, even on lightly enchanted land, and based on what she knew from Celestia Granny Smith was a young adult even when they first got their parcels of land from on high. Twilight may have overstepped her boundaries a bit by asking but it had been another possibility- maybe Earth ponies lived longer than others on average. There was little that seemed to bore that out, but the Apples seemed to be an unusually long lived clan and it would follow that perhaps their earth pony connection with the earth that they maintained had something to do with that. But if Applejack didn't know, then Twilight was barking up the wrong apple tree for her answers. Surely there were records somewhere? New research topic. In any case, she smiled and finished.

"Well, I guess I'll have to do some digging. Who knows- maybe Earth Ponies live longer. Maybe that's the Earth Pony Way!" She offered with a smile, levitating her dishes to the sink and cleaning them like any good house guest.

"So, what do we do next?"

She could only hold them back for a few seconds as Twilight affirmed Applejack of family baking being able to be passed on. It wasn't ever really that much of a concern, and Applejack was confident, but with a best friend there to stand with her in the belief that Apple family cooking wasn't going anywhere away fast, made her tear up a bit. Applejack gave her a hefty side hug. "Oh Twilight, thanks. It means a lot!" Twilight understood more than most non-apples what it meant to hold the family traits close. Applejack would have never thought that a pony who moved away from home and started a lifelong journey of princesshood would be that formidable to the importance of family. However, what could she expect from some who has been married into the royal family?

As the two started walking outside, Applejack had an idea. "What to do next? Well, since you are so close to the family, Twi, you should plant your own tree! We let all of our kin grow their own trees when reunions come around, and over the years of their visit, they git to see how it grows. Some of Granny's aunts and uncles who are gone now still have their lasting memory sprouting out over the farm, and they yield some good fruit, too! Let's do that!"

Applejack grabbed a bucket of plant food and an apple sapling and started walking down the orchard path. She then set the bucket down temporarily in order to speak. "Uh, well. We're gonna have to go to the Southwest edge of the orchard though. That's the next available lot to grow new trees on." Applejack smirked, as she knew it may test the alicorn's endurance. That was OK though, right? Earth ponies are the best endurance ponies. "So, we'll have to walk a while. And no flyin'. I know we may not know yet what being an earth pony means, but I'm sure it aint got nothin' to do with flyin'. You can bet your bit on that."

All of Twilight's friends were affectionate in their own ways, but it was her Earth pony friends who were the most physical with their elation. Pinkie Pie would squeeze the very breath of you in one of her hugs, forcing you to return her affection before she would release you from her vice like grip. Applejack was gentler and warmer with her side hug, owed in no small part to a certain country love that was a bit more tender and heartfelt. Twilight returned her friend's hug, happy to see that her kind words had been able to penetrate the often times obstinate mare. The best part was that Twilight had meant every word of it. Applejack had been more than a great big sister but also a surrogate mother for the little filly, and through successfully enabling Apple Bloom to live as great a childhood as she had, Applejack had shown more than she thought she had. She was a great sister, was destined to be a great mother, and was a teacher without peer. It always felt nice when you could tell somepony that.

Twilight followed Applejack out of the house, the rest done and the day still young. There was so much left to do, so much for Twilight to learn still as the Earth Pony Wat evaded her. Maybe it was affection? It was a flimsy basis for a thesis, but she was running out of options and grasping at straws. It would put a real crimp in her schedule if she had to to return home empty hooves and full stomached, as she would be forced to spend the rest of the night pouring over medical data from local hospitals that treated majority Earth pony patients. That was a fun hobby but only if she was in the mood; such tedium wasn't always preferable to a bath, after all. It was at that moment that Applejack brought up the possibility of planting her own tree at Sweet Apple Acres, the very foundation of Ponyville and the Apple family, and Twilight didn't even need her friend to tell her why that was so big.

The Apple family were very sweet and kind, but their land was their land and their land was their family which was their livelihood which was their land. You could just as readily remove one part of the equation here as you could the royal sisters from Equestria. You had to ask permission just to travel through their land, let alone use it or make an imprint on it. Applejack's offer was as close to an offer to join her family as she could get, and Twilight was touched. Her tree would stand strong and proud for however long the Apple family controlled the land, which with Twilight watching over as well, was sure to be as long as Equestria was more than dust and dreams. She stopped in her tracks for a second as Applejack made the offer, stunned and surprised, before she picked up the pace and trotted with haste to catch up to the well-toned farm mare. Twilight shook her head in wonderment before replying, Applejack already moving on with the plan as she grabbed a sapling and some supplies.

"Applejack, I don't know what to say! This is such an honor. I'd be- well, honored, to plant my own tree here. How many ponies outside your family have ever been offered?" Twilight offered wordlessly as Applejack laid out the law of the land on their way to the southwest. Twilight smiled and raised a confident smile.

"No worries. I'd much prefer walking to flying. Wind currents are no fun," the Princess assured the farmer, tightening her wings against her body dramatically to emphasize her commitment.

In response to Twilight's immediately willingness to trek the journey on hoof, Applejack slapped on Twilight the saddle bag which contained the necessary ingredients for successful apple tree planting. With everything neatly tucked in a small pack, minus the sapling which sprung its pre-mature height out of the bag lip, it would not jostle easily even for a bumpy ride.

"Hmm? How many... well, let's see. You got the ones in Appleloosa..." As Applejack muttered on, the words became less and less audible. And then she spoke clearly when she had an answer. "Ah, yes. There was one other one. Candy Corn." Applejack paused and then realized her mistake. "Oh wait, nope, that's cousin Caramel's sister-in-law. Huh. Well, I guess this means you're the first one, Twilight. And don't be so surprised, Princess. The honor is all mine anyways."

Applejack quickened her pace to a canter. Despite the haste, Applejack spoke clearly with the strides. "You know, Twilight. Something started troubling me this year. When you finished fifth that one year in the runnin', it taught me a lesson I'll never forget about how easily somepony can get caught up in the action in the race. But ever since then, I haven't been able to pull it off, and more often than not, I'm losing to exactly what you used to be. A unicorn. Are unicorns' smarts really that much better that they can beat and earth pony in their own race?"

• 2 weeks later...

Twilight gulped down her astonishment at Applejack's words. She was the first in the history of the family? That was huge. The Apple family's history was long an proud and not at all closed off or isolated from the company of others. They were social and well known and most of all, incredibly large. There were more Apples than there were any other family in Equestria and they owned more land than any other by a considerable margin. To be told that in their long history here at Sweet Apple Acres and with all of the ponies they had known that not a single non-family member had been given the honor of a tree wasn't much of a shock. To find out that you would be the first to be forever enshrined in the soil that was their birthright was something of a shock. Twilight had dealt with enough shock in her life and covered it well, and it didn't hurt that it came from Applejack. If there was anypony whose offer wouldn't shock her, it would be Applejack.

"Thank you, Applejack. I can't wait to plant my own tree here! I know that many of your trees are very old, due to the care and attention you give them. It's an honor to have my own tree with such care," Twilight replied lowly, excited but humbled by the prospect of being par of the Apple family.

But that would be saved for another day. For now, the athletic mare had a question that honestly stumped Twilight. No doubt, Applejack was the best athlete in Ponyville, at least on the ground. Rainbow Dash probably had something to say if she didn't qualify that statement. But the fact remains that Applejack had no good reason physically to not win every race or competition she entered in Ponyville. But she didn't, and it was happening more frequently. Was it physical? Applejack would never say so and Twilight knew it was not true. Applejack had taken more than her fair share of bumps and bruises working at the farm and her body definitely went through a lot more than an average mare's, but the result was a physically imposing mare with legendary endurance and stamina. Her body was one ling, coiled, smooth muscle ready to pounce, fibers of muscles pulsating beneath her soft coat belied only by an adorable little cider belly. So no, she was physically one of the most imposing athletes Twilight had seen with no weakness to be found. That meant it much be mental, and it wasn't Unicorn smarts that won the day.

"Well Applejack, I wouldn't say it is Unicorn smarts that win the day. Just luck. Earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi can all gallop just as fast as one another on the ground, it all depends on the individual. You are the most physically gifted mare in all of the town, maybe beyond, and I've no doubt that in an equal setting you'd win. But the Running of the Leaves has many hazards and happenings, and you have such a big heart that I am sure you find yourself somewhat slowed down by them. At least that is my theory- I haven't raced the past few years. Who knows? Maybe I could have won both and repeated," Twilight ended with a wink as the pair continued.

• 2 weeks later...

Applejack expected the response from Twilight as she felt honored to be a non-blood relative to plant her own tree. But to Applejack, she had practically been part of the family already for the past year or so, and unlike a lot of rumors Apple family members might retort in the future, it had nothing to do with her being a princess. "If anyone asks, just tell 'em your Apple Bloom's godmother or something."

As the two made their way down the often traveled harvesting path towards the rear of the orchard, Twilight explained that she figures most of Applejack's losses in the running was due to luck, or rather a lack of. Stating that unicorn and pegasus legs are just as strong as earth pony legs was something Applejack had to giggle at though. "Now wait a minute, I know Rainbow Dash can outrun most of Ponyville, but you have to admit, us earth ponies can run faster than most pegasi and unicorns. A pegasus pony could train to run, sure, but an earth pony has no choice. We have to run to places if we want to get their quick. Still again, earth ponies don't have the ability to train to use magic or fly." Applejack tilted her head. "At least as far as I'm aware." It wasn't always so easy to expect the obvious, Applejack knew that as vast as Equestria had become the last couple hundred years, a flying earth pony or a magician earth pony wasn't completely out of the question. And it made Applejack respond with a good question back at the Princess. "Say, Princess. I mean, Twilight. You're a unicorn and studying magic and friendship allowed you to hold the power you have now. Do you think an earth pony could do the same without the ability to wield magic?" Applejack's own answer was that she assumed that an earth pony with no magical skill whatsoever would never be considered for Princesshood in Equestria. SHe thought these things, as if Canterlot was hoofing crowns out like candy.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Twilight turned her head away from her friend for the sake of secrecy. Then she commenced with a large eye roll- and it was well deserved. Applejack was proud of her and her species and she should be, as they were a valued part of the Pony triumvirate that made Equestria possible. But what she said was inaccurate, if not wholly wrong. On average, Earth ponies were not faster than others. Pegasi she may have had a point again, but unicorns had the same physical capabilities as earth ponies in terms of what they were required to have to survive in Equestria. They could run just as fast as Earth ponies and could be just as strong. On average, of course Earth ponies were superior in these aspects but that seemed entirely cultural and not at all racial. However, they did have an advantage when it came to endurance, which should have played into an advantage for Applejack. Sadly however, luck betrayed her.

"Well Applejack, you're not entirely wrong, just half wrong. It is true that pegasi tend to be a little slower and weaker on the ground, but they do have a superior endurance to Earth ponies. As for Unicorns..." she smiled and stuck her tongue out, "there is no evidence that on average there is a great difference between us- them- and Earth ponies. A unicorn can be just as strong and just as fast as an Earth pony with no special training or conditions. There however, Earth ponies have a sizeable advantage in endurance over their horned brothers and sisters. You'll just have to admit it, Applejack- you are a very fit pony who has lost due to luck, not because of any other reason. Unless you want to believe Rarity is a better physical specimen than you..." she trailed off, allowing Applejack to realize the folly of arguing with science.

Speaking of arguing with science, Applejack brought up the possibility of an Earth Pony becoming an alicorn by understanding the fundaments of the magic of friendship. There, Twilight could not argue with science herself.

"Well...I don't know. I think so! When I was a unicorn I had a special connection to the element of magic, which led me to think that maybe it was possible for any of us. But I was also specially situated for my role, as befit my eventual destiny. Would that mean that the Element of Magic, and therefore a unicorn, is the only one able to harness the Magic of Friendship effectively enough to field such potent magic and eventually come to an understanding that ends in transformation? Perhaps. Perhaps not. There really is no way to be sure. However, I do know that becoming an alicorn and a Princess is not limited to only those that were unicorns. Princess Cadance was born a Pegasus and raised by Earth ponies, so who knows what may happen? Though if my Goddaughter became a Princess, Celestia help us!"

Applejack and Twilight were only about halfway to their destination at the moment, and Applejack was hearing the cold facts Twilight always liked to give. These facts, although coming from not only a princess but a trusted friend and brainiac, we hard for Applejack to swallow, and on most days she wouldn't even give it a gulp. "Half wrong? So what part am I half right about? The part where earth ponies are naturally faster on hoof because they spend more time on the ground?" Applejack rolled her eyes this time. However she was annoyed a bit. What Twilight was suggesting was that despite the fact Applejack should be proud to be an earth pony, being an earth pony didn't promote any physical advantages whatsoever, and only proved to limit them by way of having no horn and no wings. And if Twilight knew all these things with supported scientific data, then what exactly was she trying to figure out with earth ponies. Applejack considered the fact that maybe Twilight wasn't measuring the species' advantages, but instead was trying to count the ways in which they were inferior. And should she be successful in her findings and share them with Applejack, she may develop an inferiority complex she's never had before.

Still though, Applejack knew Twilight wasn't out to get her. And Applejack's question proved to be a tough one, as Twilight wasn't exactly sure. Twilight spoke from her personal experience in rising to her current status, but it didn't really convince Applejack of anything. "So, what you're saying is that if there was a Celestia's School for Hardworking Earth Ponies, which there's not, and if an earth pony succeeded in her studies in the agricultural division, which there is none, and she had abilities bestowed upon her because she's an earth pony, which there are none, she would be a candidate to be a princess. Twilight, I have many apple trees that grow in our vast orchard, but not one o' 'em is blue. Some things just aren't meant to be." Applejack wasn't upset that she probably never would become a princess. She was pretty sure it would never happen anyway. Her little sister on the other hoof--Applejack laughed out loud. "Come on Twilight, you know Apple Bloom is already a princess. Just not officially."

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Sometimes Applejack could be as stubborn as three mules and more set on the negative connotations of what Twilight had said and not on the positives she had laid out. It didn't shock Twilight that being informed that she just couldn't outrun everypony who wasn't tied to the ground would be upsetting, but Twilight didn't know what else to tell her besides the truth. If she could both outrun an endure beyond what others could, then she never would lose a race in her life to a unicorn or pegasus. Yet for two of the past three years, she was beaten by a unicorn. What conditions could that have taken place in reality if she and her kind were able to outperform all others so devastatingly? It couldn't happen. Luck couldn't work against all earth ponies after all, and considering they made up a very healthy number of participants they would have had to be struck by the worst luck in history. None of this was true. They were no faster. They endured more.

Twilight gave an exasperated sigh as she turned back Applejack's sarcastic response.

"Applejack, no need to be offended. Earth Ponies are not faster by nature but, as I told you, they can endure much more. If there was an endurance race across Equestria I am sure the top ten would almost all be Earth Ponies, but the Running of the Leaves is much shorter. Your natural ability to endure more doesn't mean much in that race. Now, YOU are one of the fastest and most athletic Ponies in equestria regardless of your race. Your defeats are about luck. Unicorns have no special advantages in a race," She finished before giving her favorite mare a deadly serious look.

"And you need to listen to what I say. Earth Ponies have all the chances that every other race has of becoming an Alicorn or a Princess, or an Alicorn Princess! I just told you that Cadance as a Pegasus, remember? She had her own unique path to becoming an Alicorn and a Princess, and it didn't include going to a specialized school. I had my own unique path and it did. An alicorn contains elements of all three species, and I know of two of the three that became Princesses. Logic dictates pretty clearly that believing it is impossible-" she levitated an apple off of a tree to her friend, ending with a soft and gentle smile, "-is like believing Apple trees are blue. Even Princess Apple Bloom knows that."

Applejack had grown annoyed at the conversation about how bad luck was the reason why she had lost four straight years of the running. It was only slightly more upsetting from there to imply unicorns had no disadvantages in the same situation. Applejack just couldn't come to terms with that. Although she was very superstitious about certain things and rituals, she would never want to use it for an excuse for why she had failed. Although, because of Twilight's persistence, it might just go into that direction. Applejack kept a straight face and looked forward into the direction of the walk without looking at Twilight while she lectured. And when she finished talking about luck, Applejack decided to chime. "I don't know. I still think earth ponies would have the overall advantage over unicorns in a race like that...," Applejack paused in her statement before contemplating the end of her thoughts before she spoke it. She was only hesitant for a bit. "...unless they cheated." The audacity of Applejack only stretched this far when she was talking with somepony she thought could take the criticism. And Applejack knew that Twilight wouldn't take it personally more on the level of speaking for everypony who ran the race true and fair. She just wanted to be honest with her.

As Twilight struck a different cord in her lecture, she wanted to get through to Applejack that earth ponies were definitely an equal third of the alicorn blessing. Something that Applejack might not agree with, but she would accept the analogy for what it was. It wasn't like it was going to make any difference in who Applejack and Twilight were as ponies and friends. But it brought forth a question that shifted from theoretical conversation to a more personal assumption of character. And Applejack was just curious enough to come forth with it. "Tell me, Twilight. And be honest. I don't care if you say no. But, do you think I would ever be able to become a princess?" Again, Applejack never expected to be a princess, however since Twilight became one all of a sudden that one fateful day, Applejack realized it would become a little bit of an obstacle for their friendship. A alicorn would certainly have many important things to do before talking to and earth pony who can't even win a footrace. Applejack considered only for a small moment that if she would ever behold that title, maybe she would be able to commune more with Twilight. Of course, that would then distract her from family. It could never be perfect.

Applejack wouldn't get off of her chosen subjects of revolt, even if the anwers had been laid out in front of her. She was nothing if not famously stubborn and tied to her own ideas of right and wrong, willing to give little ground in her own mind even as logic and the right answers sought to claim real estate. Twilight had seen it again and again and again and every time she had seen it she had hoped that repeat use of it would dull the effect, but it never did. It always took a second for Twilight to come to terms with it, a realization that once again Applejack rejected reality and substituted briefly her own. The only way through her defenses then was to either hit her over the head with information until she submitted through the sheer deluge or abandon the effort and let her own silliness claim her roadblocks one by one. And she was nothing if not a silly, stubborn mare with a sense of dry humor that would rival that of the great comedians of the time. All the Princess could do was smile mischievously after Applejack leveled cheating allegations dryly at her, Twilight more than used to her friend's playful instigations.

"Ahh, well there is always the chance that Rarity managed to cheat during the race and you never saw it. Of course that would mean that she is just so much smarter than you that she was able to pull it off and you didn't know, but I suppose anything is possible," Twilight responded playfully, trotting ahead with determination. Her jokes were the best jokes, Celestia trained and honed!

Of course, it was at her moment of great comedic triumph that he was brought low by a serious question. Could Applejack become a Princess? Twilight had asked herself that very question. She had asked it of all her friends. Could they? She knew that the answer in terms of would they was no. The numbers did not favor even the remote possibility of them ascending, even if the calculation took in the relative blossoming of the Alicorn population recently. But then again, her foalsitter had been an alicorn princess. There was always that small chance, no matter the odds. The real question was could she, and Twilight didn't doubt for a second it was possible. Applejack contained many essential Equestrian virtues that helped form the bedrock of both her own personal morality and the image she ritualistically upheld around town and nation. Why couldn't she be? The answer was simple. She could be. She wouldn't be, but Twilight was no better than her friend. Besides, there was always one surefire way to elevate her to Princesshood, even if it meant she wouldn't be an Alicorn as well.

"Yes. You could definitely become a Princess. You are a fine Equestrian pony and one of the Elements of Harmony. I may have been Magic, but each is as important as the other. The Element of Harmony is as vital as Magic. Beyond that, as I told you, becoming an Alicorn Princess isn't predicated on being a unicorn first. Cadance is proof, and pegasi are no more magical than Earth Ponies. So yes, the possibility exists for you to become an alicorn princess. There is also always marriage to a Prince or Princess, which would make you a Princess by marriage. Granted, you wouldn't become an alicorn but you didn't specify in your question," Twilight replied lightly as they reached the position where a strong tree bearing her lineage would be best suited by her calculations.

"Is this a fine spot?"

Twilight was hilarious. She couldn't tell a good joke though. Instead of laughing out loud, and instead of shaking her head in frustration, Applejack just cracked a weak smile and giggled in support. And she was annoyed with the actual response, but Applejack had exhausted her end of the discussion concerning the race. Apparently it was a lack of luck. The next time Applejack would bring it up, would probably be in the comfort of Twilight's library, asking in confidence if she had any ideas of magic spells to increase her luck before a big race. She would definitely give it a shot, since she had pretty much tried everything else. But for now, she would lay the topic to rest.

Applejack was saddened a little by realizing Twilight was pretty sure Applejack could, but wouldn't become a Princess. Applejack felt disheartened to think that from here on, her relationship with Twilight would be forever change to that of a Princess and her constituent. Applejack had all the respect and more for Princess Celestia, but she could hardly call her a friend. It always worried her how far Twilight would be distanced from her, even though it had yet to be measured by an actual distance. And as a side thought, she felt compassionate for Shining Armor. How he must have felt when the best baby sister in the world moved away. Twilight sure was a great pony.

And speaking of being a far distance away, Applejack looked around as Twilight suggested the spot. "Yup. Here we are!" Ponies would be shocked if they found out there was an opening in the abyss of orchard trees at Sweet Apple Acres. But ponies rarely came out this far. Applejack took out a couple small efficient shovels and stuck them into the ground where the sapling would be planted. "Well, let's get started." Applejack grabbed a shovel in hoof and started pushing dirt out in a circle, attempting to make it deep enough for a sapling.

151182-animatedapplejackdiggingpinkie_pie_zps91c2dc71.gif?t=1395097527

Twilight was excited to final get to the work at hoof and prove herself a worthy addition to the farm's lifetime of sweat and labor. Of course, she had helped Applejack many times but rarely had she thought twice about using magic. After a few initial disagreements about her role in using magic, Applejack had seen the error of her ways and never gave her much trouble about it. But this was a little different from Twilight's point of view. She was here to learn about Earth ponies in order to find out what made them special, and while they had innate advantages over others and had some sort of connection to nature, neither was innately connected to their magical aura. In many ways, what defined an Equestrian Earth pony was what helped define Applejack and what made Applejack arguably the definitive Equestrian Earth pony. A love of good, solid work on good land with friends and family. In that vein, using her talents at magic would be untoward of her and Twilight was nothing if not polite.

So she took her shovel and went to work as best she could. She lacked the skill of Applejack and even the strength...for the most part at least. Twilight had certainly gotten better physically ever since she had abandoned the confines of her Canterlot abode for the sweet outdoors of Ponyville. And recently, her transformation into an Alicorn had afforded her a tighter and springier muscle mass as well as more of it than before. This could not compare to a lifetime of hard work and good Apple family genes of course, but Twilight could more than hold her own. Shovel in mouth, she went to work clearing a circle. Head down, shovel down. Head up, shovel up, dirt flew. Rinse and repeat for a while until she could feel the tightly wound muscles in her neck pulsing with effort. After what seemed like forever, she spit the shovel out with enough force to send it over her hole and allowed her aching teeth a break before pulling herself out.

"How'd I do, Applejack?" Twilight asked as she observed her friend's much greater success. That mare could dig!

Applejack took a short breather in her digging, and watched the princess take her end of the deal. But why was she not using her magic. Applejack decided to entertain herself as she waited for Twilight to wear herself out of digging out the hole with her mouth. Applejack smirked and held in laughter as Twilight got herself more dirty than any princess ever. When she finished, the proud princess asked for an evaluation. "Heh, Twilight, why didn't you use yer magic. You don't gotta go gettin' yer wings all dirty and your hooves sweaty just because you want to prove to me you can be like an earth pony. You're a princess, you gotta look like you haven't done manual labor in years. Once we're done here, I'll set you up with a nice cool shower behind the barn."

Applejack pointed at the bag with the sapling sticking out. "Ok, Twi. Just set the tree in the hole like you're tucking it into bed. Then mix in some of those tasty plant food from that cup into the soil and push the dirt back around and over the sapling. You can use magic this time." Applejack gave Twilight a silly look.

All Twilight could do was give Applejack a sly smile and a wink. Of course she wasn't going to use her magic at length and breadth when she was trying to learn more about the workings of the Equestrian Earth pony species. Using her magical spells and pegasus flight ability would have allowed her to do the job easier, but not better. And it would have ruined the pint of her trip, and she was not a fan of ruining her research expeditions out to visit Applejack. She valued their time greatly and reacted rudely to anything that ruined her perfectly timed and prepped plans for them. In short, no magic this time. She had done a fine enough job anyway. Her hole wasn't as wide or deep as Applejack's, instead tighter and decidedly less experienced. It would have to do.

"Well Applejack," she started with a smile, trotting away from the hole for a second, "even Princess Celestia got her hooves dirty digging ditches to prevent flooding of urban centers when the Great Strand Flood threatened to overtake Manehattan and the Aether Flu disabled her magic," she dabbed her head with a towel and soaked up a good amount of sweat, "so Princesses certainly get dirty when they must. Besides, this is for research! If you are trying to learn about the Earth pony might as well act as the natives do," she ended with a joke, smiling to herself. See? She should have been the Princess of comedy!

Or the Princess of Planting, though if Applejack ever did become a Princess she assumed that would be her title. Twilight listened to her farmer friend and created a checklist so easy, even a Princess could follow it. She nodded after Applejack's silly face and went to work. First came putting the tree in position. Easier said than done, but easier done all the same. She placed the innocent young sapling in the hole gently, imagining she was tucking a certain dragon assistant to bed. Check. What followed next was the plant version of a fried hay sandwich, delicious plant food coming in via cup and mixed in with the soil that was then dispatched back and over the sapling, finishing the job. Check and check. Huh, not the largest checklist Twilight had ever made but certainly the quickest she had ever gone through one. Probably. On second though, maybe top ten. She had some pretty efficiently tackled checklists sprinkled throughout her life. The Princess of Mathematical Efficiency didn't have the same ring to it as Magic, though. In any case, she stepped back to observe her work.

"Looks good to me, even without needing to use magic," she finished, emphasizing by levitating a drink over to the both of them.

Applejack smiled eagerly as Twilight placed the sapling in and gave it fresh food soil and such. But as Applejack watched, she dropped her smile a little to that of a little displeasure. That sapling was crooked! If it were to growing from that stance, it would buckle with a weak trunk. Instead of Applejack giving another piece of overly honest advice to Twilight, she decided to solve the issue with more dignity. "Hey Twilight, look over there!" Applejack pointed towards the fresh water river that ran next to the southwestern border of the farm. While the princess looked away, Applejack quickly re-positioned the sapling straight up, and made perfect ninety degree angles around tree to the ground. If she could list directions again, she would have asked Twilight to pull out her emergency protractor, but she thought it was pretty self explanatory than. Another earth pony learning curve.

Hopefully, by the time she looked back, Applejack would have pulled off adjusting Twilight's tree in place before she would notice. It wouldn't be the end of the world if Twilight wasn't looking during anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Twilight followed Applejack's advice naively, her gaze falling on the water nearby absentmindedly. She didn't see any of Applejck's silly machinations as she trotted over to the water. It seemed rather normal and all together unremarkable, but Applejack must have told her to look for a reason. So she inspected the water further. Color was right. Bad water could sometimes change to a slightly metallic color near the Everfree as the unnatural magics gave the surface an odd gloss that couldn't be overlooked. Her horn lit up and checked it for poisons. It was clean, or at least as clean as it could be. No odd runoff. Taste? She levitated a droplet onto her tongue as her taste buds formed up to investigate withour investment. It tasted normal enough. Now in her mouth, Twilight's magic started to comb over it. Applejack probably needed help with something so why not do it all the way?

After a few seconds, she started to understand. The pH level was too low, making it somwhat acidic. The alkalinity was fine enough to counter it but it seemed as though the net result was water that did little more than average to help crops grow. A more stable pH level could see a large improvement in the condition of the water that Twilight could only assume was being used for irrigation. Hyrdrogen levels could be controlled relatively easily using certain compounds without interfering with natural production of acidic variables. With the proper investment, Twilight surmised that Sweet Apple Acres could see an immediate return on investment and thousands of bits in the future by utilizing a few simple steps. All of this was accomplished in about as much time it took for Applejack to set the tree about right.

Twilight turned around excitedly, gulping down the water.

"Applejack, I think I found a way to increase your net profit for the farm by two to perhaps three percent annually!" Twilight shouted excitedly, talking a quick look at her tree- yep, just as perfect as she had left it!

Applejack looked cheekily as Twilight turned back. And with Twilight's sudden burst of enthusiasm, something about improving the farm production, Applejack wasn't sure what she had in mind, but figured she would let her speak on it. She smirked, "Oh yeah? What's that?" Applejack valued Twilight's ability to over-think things. She was pretty positive that this would lead to an oversight that would bring Twilight a bit distant from what Apple family farm values usually entail, but at the same time, Twilight's noggin was definitely intuitive from time to time.

Partly, Applejack always afraid of what Twilight would say when she had these eurekas. Was she about to imply more family trees be planted from towns ponies? Because if so, it would violate the special-ness of the family planting ritual, which was something that hadn't even finished. Twilight still needed to talk to the tree. "Oh, and since you're done placing the tree and burying the sapling, you need to speak to it and promise it your protection and love and care." Applejack would expect a snag from Twilight, since she was far more scientific that most of the Apple family members. In fact, most of them didn't even ask questions about this sort of thing.

Applejack only seemed half-intrigued by Twilight's excited declaration, but it didn't come as a shock. Applejack was often wary of Twilight's suggestions in matters between them and Twilight's history didn't always lend itself well to being considered a serious farming authority. Even in matters of the household she was often found lacking in comparison to Applejack's experience and aggressive nature in all things. But when it came to the workings of the mind there was none better than Twilight and Applejack had been awed more than once and seemingly hypnotized by the subtle spell of Twilight that could wash over and bowl over even the strongest of mares. And when it came to science, nopony knew more than Twilight and this farming issue was a simple matter of science and understanding the basic laws of water management. Applejack for all of her experience and intelligence on the issue couldn't have a way of deducing what Twilight had just found out and while Twilight was an expert in Sweet Apple Acres fluids she had never a reason to taste this particular brand.

"Well, I tested your water. Your pH levels are low. More stable levels could be irrigated efficiently to increase crop growth as well as reduce the amount of water needed. It is a relatively small amount in both areas, but two to three percent increased profit annually over the course of a lifetime for Sweet Apple Acres would be a fortune for the Apples. Of course it would require a slightly improved irrigation system to be implemented as well as a pH filtration delivery system and would probably end in the first year breaking even, but the long term financial potential is huge for you and the Apple family- us," Twilight ended on a blush, reminding herself that symbolically she was now a member of a family she had felt like a member of literally since her first day in Ponyville.

Speaking of being a part of the family, the ritual was not done. The Apples had a strange set of ceremonies that Twilight had once contemplated as part of the Earth pony way. The general connection with nature shared by the Earth ponies was multiplied seemingly a thousandfold by the Apples to the degree that orchards that had existed for as long as the Acres had produced only half as much as they. There were other reasons as well, not least of all the terrifying Everfree forest nearby providing a bit of ambient magic, but the Apples were the ones responsible. Twilight could only surmise that familial connections with the trees helped them grow and as such it was good for her to talk to the tree as now, being an Earth pony, her special connection with the tree would be helpful to its growth as well. Too bad unicorns and pegasi could become as close if theur cutie marks demanded it or else her job would already be done!

"Oh! Uhh, I see. Okay!" Twilight cleared her throat as she approached her little sapling.

"Hello little Twilight tree! I am the one who planted you and I just wished to tell you that you are very important to me. I love you so much and I am going to protect you from anything that wants to hurt you by doing whatever it takes. I will always care for you and make sure you are the happiest little tree you could be," and with that, Twilight kissed the ground beneath the sapling.

"How was that, Applejack?"

Applejack smiled warmly with a chuckle as Twilight made her promises to the tree. It was adorable and not embarrassing in the slightest. Applejack, however, was amused that Twilight decided to give in a name. Twilight Tree seemed a bit bland, but something witty would have probably already been taken by somepony else anyway. In addition to the awkwardness of the ritual, not that Applejack would point it out, she smirked when Twilight kissed the ground next to the sapling. When she was finished, Applejack gave her a convincing side hug in recognition of the bond Twilight and the tree shared, but had to add, "You didn't have to kiss the ground, you know." Applejack smiled wide as she thought how humorous it was to have a Princess be a part of the family line of trees. Applejack would make a note to make Rarity kiss the ground a few times if and when the white unicorn ever decided to be a part of the family officially as well.

Applejack started walking in the direction of the river, picking up all the loose supplies and empty bags to take back to the farm. "So about this water. You're saying it's low in peaches or something. I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. Is this another science kajigger?" Applejack was immediately resistant to changing the water supply. Applejack knew Twilight's intuition could easy make the farm more efficient. But the water supply hadn't been altered in years. With as fruitful as the farm has always been, Applejack would be reluctant to try anything new in fear that it would make it less effective. Ponies needed to control the natures of Equestria for generations, but the natures around the farm seemed to give a lot of it's own, and the river and water quality, which was very tasty, Applejack might add, never needed treatment. "I'm not so sure that's necessary. That water is great water."

Twilight shot Applejack a half-lidded look as it was revealed she didn;t have to kiss the ground. Well then, Applejack had been cheeky enough to not stop her or say otherwise. That was Applejack's sense of humor though and it was one of her better traits amongst many very good ones. She never let a joke die before it lived and they were never too boisterous or demanding of their time together. It was good to be able to laugh without feeling forced like with some of her other friends. Of course, Twilight wasn't one to go down without a fight. She had a sense of humor more mischievous than some believed and with a friendly liner of schadenfreude caressing her mischief. Other times against ponies like Applejack she preferred more simple forms of humor if only because Applejack's honest expressions and mannerisms made them all the more enticing for a reaction. Like today, for example, even if what she said was less a joke rather than a saucy statement of fact.

"Oh, it was no big deal. I'm used to kissing earthen things," She stated with a wink, falling in line trot by trot with Applejack and helping to pick up supplies. The day was not nearly done but she had a feeling their meeting was drawing to a close soon.

On a more serious topic, Applejack seemed resistant. It was partially due to ignorance and mostly because she was a stick in the mud when it came to change. Of course, Twilight knew she was guilty of the opposite. She liked dynamic and near constant change in her life for all the good and ill that could bring. Changes individually were hardly permanent but the fact was that change as a concept was. For the Apples, change was both a blessing and a curse as they rarely seemed to do so willingly and became victims of circumstance rather than masters of their own fate. Left to the whims of what chance came for them they seemed to firm up on aspects of tradition and what the olds ways said. Eventually things would change but someday they'd have to take charge ad become the puppeteers of their own destiny instead puppets. Applejack would have to play a crucial role in changing the mindset.

"For now, yes. The water is...well, not great, but good. It'll do the job. But it isn't being treated to take care of the pee and aitch levels-" Twilight spoke slowly to sound them out phonetically, "which can be trouble. Left untreated, low pH water becomes acidic and acidic water destroys crops. Ever have a lemon? The lemon juice inside is around two point two pee aitch. Your water is a little bit above a six. You want it around a seven. That makes it easier to grow crops using it. Also, improvements to the irrigation can preserve the pee and aitch levels. I'd estimate that you are losing point two pee aitch due to the length of time it takes to get the water from the river to the crops. Better irrigation will preserve the levels better. Higher and more stable pee aitch levels leads to crops that will grow faster. Stretched over time, you may have entire crops that wouldn't have existed otherwise. In the long run it could be a huge financial success for the Orchards for only a small initial cost," Twilight finished her proposal, stretching out her wings as some of the feathers gently lay on Applejack's back.

Applejack enjoyed her walks and talks with Twilight because they always seemed to meet each other on the same level. Neither of them expected a favor from the other, yet they both knew they could count on them when it was needed. In conversation, Twilight was always entertaining as she was not completely escaped from being able to make a witty remark at Applejack in response to Applejack's own. This made everything feel better, as Twilight would make a witty comment that would make Applejack almost blush, the orange on her cheeks faintly showing signs of red.

But where Applejack was completely lost at was when Twilight decided to spill out facts and science to explain a problem, or how something could be better. In this, case, the water was the subject and while Applejack was reluctant to do anything about it, Twilight insisted on improving the water with a few changes in the irrigation. "Pee aitch? That sounds like the name of a rash foals get when their diaper needs changin'. What do you suggest we do, then? How are we supposed to raise the number up like you said?" Applejack was sure that Twilight was just meaning to poke Applejack in the side whenever she would list off scientific properties and theories. The words and numbers never meant much to Applejack. She was far more visual and would never be convinced of a change until she bit into an apple and tasted it for herself.

Archived