Wrapping up the Gala!

Manestream

I hope everypony has been enjoying the Gala RP event so far!

While I wanted to do much more with it, and ultimately could not due to pressing RL circumstances, I was still amazed by how quickly the Gala RP took off- and how successful it has been so far. In just a short few weeks, the Gala is already our second largest forum, having beat out both the East and West forums, and grown to over one-third the size of the Central forum.

Thats pretty amazing, everypony! I'm pretty impressed! Unfortunately, the Gala *does* have to come to an end, all these crazy-partying-ponies are going to drive Twilight mad-hatter if they don't get some sleep soon! This announcement is to let everypony know that the Gala RP will remain open until the morning of tuesday, July 5th. That gives everypony two more weeks to finish up the RP's they have started, and to get any other crazy hijinks out of the way before the palace guards must usher all the guests home, and begin rebuilding the palace.

As a little surprise and thank-you to everypony, I have decided to have a little round-table with my staff, and we will be picking three of our favorite, most memorable Gala moments from the RP, and will be doing something special with them. Everypony will just have to wait and see what that will be when the Gala comes to an end! The Gala RP will then be locked and tucked away for viewing, but it will no longer be open for posting. So make your memories and enjoy the best night ever while you still can!

I also very strongly encourage you all to leave feedback here in this thread about the Gala RP. I very much would like to hear what you liked about it, what you'd like to see in the future, and what was terrible about it. Please take the time, as I have so little to talk with everypony one on one- but if you write your feedback down here in the thread, when I'm up at 3am combing the site before my measly hours of sleep, I can get your opinion on the site and events, and make them even better. I will try to make fun and wonderful things for all of you, but we can do a lot better job if everypony gives us lots of feedback. Thank you in advance icon_arrow.gif

The feedback we have received from the survey has been very helpful, and due to the interest shown in it, you can all expect more special RP events like this to emerge in the near future. The Gala Rp was largely hands-off for our staff, and just a 'have at it!' for everypony- and you all ran with it and made it pretty amazing. This is exciting to me, and I hope to all of you, because in the future I am planning on introducing more elements to special RP's such as:

[*:2uwobjmp]Scripted and flexible/changing story elements based on user RP
    [*:2uwobjmp]Competitions, both competitive and team-based
    [*:2uwobjmp]Rewards, prizes, and 'spotlights' for RP'ers/OC's
    [*:2uwobjmp]'Special' RP opportunities for staff and lucky dedicated community members
    [*:2uwobjmp]Many other things i've written down and forgotten to add here!

We have had some many great ideas for holidays from the show; from Iron Pony competitions to Winter-wrap ups and festivals such as the summer sun celebration. If you have any good ideas, be sure to share them on the boards with us. icon_arrow.gif

Once again, I'd like to thank everypony for being a part of Canterlot and celebrating its re-opening; I am very excited to see where we go from here!

I will be sad to see it go, it's been super fun. It's been especially good to break our out characters out of their normal routines and put them into new situations to give them more depth/play less planned out threads in some cases.

Next time it would be fun to have in character RP channels for each area!

*sigh* I did nothing with this. Admittedly I was waiting for Silver Spoon to be approved so I could play Diamond with her. And now Shimmer Star is on vacation. And all my RP notes are on a broken PC. *sigh*

Obviously I need to app more characters and get more options, but all of my OC ideas (about 7-8 last time I checked) are gimmicky or half-baked...

Ugh, I'm whining aren't I? :scream: I admit that I followed a few threads and saw some interesting RPs, and I know that everyone had a good time with it, so I'm glad. :)

As a little surprise and thank-you to everypony, I have decided to have a little round-table with my staff, and we will be picking three of our favorite, most memorable Gala moments from the RP, and will be doing something special with them. Everypony will just have to wait and see what that will be when the Gala comes to an end!

Looking forward to seeing what happens with this ^^

*sigh* I did nothing with this. Admittedly I was waiting for Silver Spoon to be approved so I could play Diamond with her. And now Shimmer Star is on vacation. And all my RP notes are on a broken PC. *sigh*

Obviously I need to app more characters and get more options, but all of my OC ideas (about 7-8 last time I checked) are gimmicky or half-baked...

I enjoyed Diamond Tiara's introduction into the world of RP in the latest school thread, so I think you are doing a fine job. I am sure once Shimmer Star gets back, the two of your will be great together, but I think you'll do a fine job with Diamond solo before that. Just play off what the others in the thread are doing and have her act accordingly. Like I said, I thought your first post was pretty good. :)

I enjoyed the free form style of the RP for the Gala, and I can't think of any complaints to be honest. I am certainly glad you had the forethought to divide up the castle into more manageable areas.

One suggestion I have for future special events such as this is in addition to a definite beginning date, to have a preset ending date. Listening to fellow Rpers I heard some hesitation about becoming even more involved in the gala threads because they were uncertain when it would end and thus worried that their threads would be suddenly locked before they had a chance to wrap them up. My other suggestion I can think of is in regards to future events, and that is to have them run for a sufficiently decent length of time, such as a month or so (like we did with the Gala).

Well, we had no idea how this event would be taken and how long it would look or run, so it was sort of an experiment as well. The reason we've chosen the date, is because it appears that the Gala Event has begun to wind down in terms of Roleplay, so we felt that the date chosen would likely give plenty of time to allow roleplays to wrap up. However, it's not that they will suddenly get locked out of nowhere, but it will likely be that no new threads will be allowed to be created after the date has come, and any existing ones will be allowed time to finish up even after the date of the gala's end.

*Edit

I don't recommend anyone create any -new- threads by about a week before the Gala is set to close. Finish up what you have, or expand the ones you already are in if necessary, but I would strongly suggest that no new threads be created by that time in order to prevent running the Gala on entirely too long. The date is there to close the Gala, remember, and the idea is that like any party, the party is over, but because of the way RP works, naturally some threads will take a bit to write out even if technically everything would have taken place before the Gala closed anyway.

So try to ensure your threads are moving along well if they can! Keep any ideas for next year!

I enjoyed Diamond Tiara's introduction into the world of RP in the latest school thread, so I think you are doing a fine job. I am sure once Shimmer Star gets back, the two of your will be great together, but I think you'll do a fine job with Diamond solo before that. Just play off what the others in the thread are doing and have her act accordingly. Like I said, I thought your first post was pretty good. :)

Thanks Brian, I appreciate that ^^ I guess was just being a bit moody when I posted that before :oops:

BTW, Mane what happened to this:

Be sure to look out for contests such as the best dressed pony, and other fun items that will pop up during the course of the RP!

Did the contests happen and I missed them? I don't remember seeing them.

There is going to be one next year, right? Or is this going to be it? I originally planned not to participate in the Gala due to the fact that my character wasn't created when it started. That, and it added a unique plot element to Frostbite's backstory, he was originally supposed to go and due to the reasons for his... "transfer"... he's not allowed to. If this is going to be it for the Gala for good, then I want to somehow particpate in it. Heck, I'll change the reason that Frostbite's transferred to him causing something to happen at the Gala if that's what it takes.

I think we'll have another Gala again! This one was successful enough that I like the idea of a repeat Gala next year, especially with new characters and new material from the next season!

This has to happen! As well as other Special RP Events.

The competition RP's you mention intrigue me. I've been wanting to start up a Best Young Flyer's Competition and Iron Pony RP, but have been unsure how to do it.

I enjoyed Diamond Tiara's introduction into the world of RP in the latest school thread, so I think you are doing a fine job. I am sure once Shimmer Star gets back, the two of your will be great together, but I think you'll do a fine job with Diamond solo before that. Just play off what the others in the thread are doing and have her act accordingly. Like I said, I thought your first post was pretty good. :P

Thanks Brian, I appreciate that ^^ I guess was just being a bit moody when I posted that before :oops:

Be sure to look out for contests such as the best dressed pony, and other fun items that will pop up during the course of the RP!

Good questions- I will address this when I get a free moment!

Suggestion for a special RP: Princess for a Day. Something I read in a fic, there is a competition where every pony in Celestia's reign gets a muffin. They eat the muffin, and see if there is a star inside. The pony who gets a star in their muffin gets to be Princess for a Day (mares and fillys only, of course).

We could do something like everyone thinking about what they could do if they were Princess for a Day, talking to friends about it for weeks before, building up until a special RP in which a member is randomly chosen to be Princess for a Day and do what they want in RPs for a day. And then, in the fic, all major actions were undone by morning the next day!

Of course, the fic ended badly with Derpy winning, but still...

I enjoyed Diamond Tiara's introduction into the world of RP in the latest school thread, so I think you are doing a fine job. I am sure once Shimmer Star gets back, the two of your will be great together, but I think you'll do a fine job with Diamond solo before that. Just play off what the others in the thread are doing and have her act accordingly. Like I said, I thought your first post was pretty good. :lol:

No, unfortunately because of my two jobs and RL, I was unable to organize some of the events/contests i wanted to during the Gala. Dont fear though; our prizes and competitions will simply be moved and show up in different sections :'}

There IS still a mystery surprise for everypony come the end of the Gala though, so keep your eyes peeled, Pinkie Pie style!