Official Discussion Thread - S04E03 Castle Mane-ia

I think what the writers would probably point at and say the moral of the episode is in Twi's lines at the end about how knowing about the castle kept her from freaking out about anything going on like the others did--that our understanding of things can help set our perceptions and help us deal with problems.

This wasn't exactly at the focus of the bulk of the episode, of course. Personally, I'd say that not every episode needs some big core moral that it's built around. Entertainment can be worthwhile even when it's goal is nothing more than to entertain.

"Don't trespass" ?

Celestia gave her permission to go there, and it's Celestia's castle. Twilight wasn't trespassing.

I would disagree about episodes not needing a moral. It needn't be a huge heavy handed affair, but every story should have something to do with a value. It's very difficult to think of any well-regarded story that doesn't explore something.

As I said over at That Other Board That Shall Not Be Named: Great humor can make up for poor storytelling. Average humor cannot.

I don't think revealing the diary at the end necessitated a moral. That being said, the moral of the story would be not to allow unfounded paranoia or fear of the unfamiliar guide your decision making. Twilight was as unfamiliar with the castle as the rest of them (all being there only once before), but she didn't allow that, or the castle's "spooky" nature get to her; she had no rational reason to fear, so she didn't (this is also true of Pinkie, who simply ignored any scary feature but instead just wanted to have fun with her friends). None of the others had rational reasons either, but allowed their paranoia about things that go bump in the night to cause them to panic and act impulsively.

*spins the wheel of morality*

Wheel of morality turn turn turn! Tell us the lesson that we should learn! [from this episode]

"early to rise and early to bed makes a man [pony] healthy but socially dead"

Well, there's your moral.

Starswirl proves the point more clearly than I ever could. :D

Animaniacs was probably the most entertaining and consistently brilliant comedic children's cartoon in the past thirty years. It almost never had a moral, and in fact actively mocked forced moral lessons in children's entertainment.

i don't think a story needs a *moral* to be entertaining, personally. One of my more common gripes with the show was the need to always include one, thus resulting in creative limitations *or* a half-assed moral that didn't really make sense. (See: A Dog And Pony Show)

A Dog and Pony show had a great moral. At its most basic: don't judge a book by its cover. In a deeper level it was an affirmation of the strength within feminitity (described in the episode as "being a lady"). Rarity solved her problem completely with her own wit, without ever being untrue to her gentility.

On the 'Everfree Radio' Podcast, they did a review of the episode and also had the episode's writer (Josh Haber) on as well. Lots of interesting facts..And yeah, the bee-suit was a result of the censors....And really, would you want bees crawling all over your naked body? :???:

Archived