Official Discussion Thread - S04E03 Castle Mane-ia

Alright, it is time for the discussion about Castle Mane-ia, the third episode of the fourth season! Sure it has been leaked, and thus so many people already know the story, but that doesn't mean we can't still talk about it. :) We just ask that if you want to discuss said spoilers, please use the spoilers tag. For the rest of us, the episode is of course at 9am (CST) November the 30th.

Enjoy!

640px-Applejack_reused_animation_S04E03.png

ROFL! LOVED the scene with RD, AJ and the bees!

One thing to quote, even insects like bees can be obedient to ponies, like the way the beekeeper pony called his bees and they followed him! Take note of this for future reference!

:D:D:D

those who have watched the leak are bad, and you should feel bad

Hey! I don't feel bad at all! Half the fun of watching MLP FiM eps is watching them as reruns too!

:D:D:D

I personally avoided the leak, but I'd have watched this again even if I did.

Cute episode! All Mane Six in attendance, with lots of fun moments. I'm not sure how many trap doors a castle can have. Fluttershy mentioned the star spiders we saw at the beginning, but nothing ever came of those. This was an all-around fun episode. The lost-in-scary-castle-with-creepy-stuff-happening was pretty cliché, but I think it was executed well.

Zecora at the end, maybe? Hmmm.

And Season Four is off to an awesome start with another solid offering of pony. I am very much excited for what to come at this rate. :D

This episode offered big on the zany castle fun. It was certainly a little predictable, but with a plot like this the point is just to enjoy the ride and be entertained. For that purpose, this episode offered big on the enjoyable antics.

It was interesting to see the rivalry between RD and AJ get put front and center again. There was that moment last week where they had a brief little shout off, but we hadn't seen them really go at it in focus since the episode that defined their relationship all the way back in season one. I think this is a good thing. Friction between the two makes sense and it's just fun to see them trying to outdo one another. This episode reminded me how fun they can be together.

Rarity was even more fun though. I love her attitude as she wandered off toward the castle; it was very much in line with how I try to RPer. She was very take charge, playful, practical, opportunistic and overall optimistic until the moment things start to get dicey. She had some of the best little moments and was a joy through out. She was paired with Fluttershy... and well, Fluttershy wasn't quite as enjoyable. This sort of episode highlights the obvious things in her personality and doesn't really tap into what I like about her. With Rarity and in this scenario, she can't really do anything but slip into doormat mode.

Twilight was amusing, though her part was surprisingly limited. She had a few cute moments. I do have to say I rather liked that glimpse into Celestia and Luna's past through the journal, however. I like the idea of them having built this ridiculous castle full of silly traps and secrets just to amuse themselves. it speaks to the serious fun streak both of them have just below the surface. Also was great set up framing for the episode.

Pinkie's part was limited, but when she was on screen she was at her very best. Just the right, pitch perfect high speed silliness I look for in a Pinkie Pie performance. She had some fun lines and was just gleefully fun.

Then there was the bigger picture stuff. It was nice to see Twi continuing to research the box, though I'm not sure what she expects to find if Celestia doesn't know about it. Even more interesting was the ending, which seemed to suggest that the letters were done and were now going to be switching to a journal as a framing device. I think this is a nice touch, and fits in with Twi's new position as no longer a student. I'll be interested to see how the journal thing is implemented in future episodes.

This episode was the first from a new writer, Josh Haber, and if this is an indicator of what we can expect from him, I look forward to seeing more. It was fun, funny and cute. It showed that the series can carry over the tonality and plot line of the opener and still stay as whimsical and fun as it ever was.

This episode had a nostalgic feeling to it.

I think it's because the new writer tapped mostly into Season 1 dynamics while writing it. I was even expecting a letter to Celestia near the end.

Given this, it was mainly written for humour, although some new elements were added to the lore, as well as that foreshadowing thing near the end.

The downside, I feel, is that this new writer had trouble making distinctions between some of the ponies. I like that Rarity was determined on fulfilling her goal to the end amidst her fear, but AJ and RD both reacted almost the same way to every scare, and I feel that ain't right. :roll:

Moreover, what's with the star spiders? They were foreshadowed a bit in the beginning, but never came back. Lost in production? Deleted scene?

There's also the scene where Rarity, FS, RD and AJ all panicked at the same time for the sake of laughs. It went on for too long for my tastes, and I would have preferred them to find out by themselves how silly they were acting instead of Twilight pointing it out.

But it's the writer's firstie, and I only viewed the episode once so far, so I'm not gonna think on this too much.

I'm kinda hoping the next episode has more background ponies. I'm missing Ponyville's citizens. :razz:

those who have watched the leak are bad, and you should feel bad

Sorry, some of us have to work.:P

Anyway, I loved this episode. My favorite since season 2. Every character was well written and funny. I could have done with a bit more distinction between Dash and Applejack but honestly that is a minor complaint. It was a very fun episode and one I could rewatch a dozen times, like a good ol' season one episode.

It was nice to see Twi continuing to research the box, though I'm not sure what she expects to find if Celestia doesn't know about it.

What Celestia KNOWS and what Celestia chooses to talk about are two seperate things. :P

Despite a lack of sleep (and pesky mosquitoes to boot, blasted Australian summers!) and avoiding the leaked episode and spoilers for a few days, it's time to provide my thoughts on the episode.

First and foremost, the episode itself.....I'll let my tweet sum it up:

"What an episode. It was definitely worth the wait. Enjoyed watching it from start to finish."

As always, thoughts on the episode itself are below (spoilered):

When the episode leaked a couple of days ago, some of the first reviews and reactions were mainly in the "must watch" range, and they were not kidding when they said that this episode was going to be a classic and they were spot on.

It was nice to see some of the classic elements of the Mane 6 from the earlier seasons being on display in this episode, especially seeing Rarity being hysterical, Twilight showing off her adorkable side and Fluttershy being concerned about Angel going missing and being worried to the point of tears.

Story wise, this episode was well written with a few scenes either having me in stitches or even a hair raising moment to boot, and also seeing some of the classic aspects of the show also returning (e.g. friendship reports) in the form of the diary is also a great addition.

Overall, this episode has to be one of my favourites in this season so far.

How is a castle able to automatically harvest fresh carrots?

You play Minecraft and you ask this?

Also peeps, spoiler tags are no longer requested as the episode has been out for hours; I think we are safe. :) Thank you all for your courtesy in that area. :catbug:

Heh. Come to think of it, only pony not wearing a suit in the bee scene was Pinkie Pie. She also was never scared during the episode either...

Sorry RD and AJ. Most daring pony = :smirk:

You play Minecraft and you ask this?

Have they figured out in Minecraft how to replant carrot seeds post-harvest, yet? XD

It actually was clever in a way making Pinkie Pie the "scary antagonist". We all know she's the pony least likely to get frightened by cheap scares, as we saw way back during the FiM pilot. Ergo, there was little point pairing her up with somepony more likely to get scared. :smirk:

I FINALLY had time to sit down at watch this (Huzzah for having the Hub and a DVR). I loved the episode. Had a smile on my face throughout the whole thing. Beyond the rather funny little script, you can't help but notice how both the animation and art in general are so much better in this season..

And...

THIS IS NOT HOW YOU RING A BELL, PINKIE!

zei.gif

I enjoyed it. The story was of course rather predictable, but for these kind of stories in such a short format, that was unavoidable. What won the episode for me was the banter and interaction between the characters, especially Rarity and Fluttershy (and to a lesser extent, AJ and Dash). It felt like a season one episode, and it opened up a new chapter in the series. We had the Twilight letters in season one, the mane six letters in season two, and now a diary that they all can share, it was a nice touch.

It felt like a season one episode in ehich all of the characters were replaced with hammy SNL imitations of themselves.

The show had been on a long, slow slide of being less and less intelligent, and this is a low point.

I respectfully disagree, the episode was zany, fun, and light hearted, there was a twinge of continued storyline and brought us a new method of getting the "Moral" across. It's not the best episode ever but it was enjoyable.

It's not "less intelligent" you just seem to have abnormally high standards :P

I respectfully disagree, the episode was zany, fun, and light hearted, there was a twinge of continued storyline and brought us a new method of getting the "Moral" across. It's not the best episode ever but it was enjoyable.

It's not "less intelligent" you just seem to have abnormally high standards :razz:

And what was the moral?

Archived