Glue in equestria

AntiPariah40k

*facehoof* oh man are we really gonna go there... lol i can see your concern cause most glue is made from part ... horse hooves (or so i've been told my 24 years of life lol) but i guess so lol i see your point

For those that haven't had a chance to work with such things and haven't used the almighty champion Google, the majority of glue products today are made from polymers. Glues based on animal parts became far less profitable when these cheap, easily mass produced polymers became available. Elmer's Glue in particular has announced that they use no animal products in their glue and use a 100% synthetic polymer concoction. Even so, the myth of horse hoof glue is also somewhat inaccurate as the main source (at least in recent times) of connective tissue that is used in glue would be from animals that were more commonly slaughtered, namely cows. Somewhat related, several people mention gelatin as coming from horses as well. Again, not quite accurate. Although it definitely can be, gelatin today is mostly from the collagen in sow skins, especially when used in food.

Also I hate this nasty topic so please move on kthnx :-| Slaughter industry is and never will be a fun place to work.

Winter's information is very helpful here. I feel it's also worth pointing out that there are countless adhesive substances which occur naturally in the world (like tree sap). It wouldn't be unfathomable for ponies to use one of those to develop glue.

Basically, anything you see in the show that you think would be made from an animal that is shown to be sentient in the show, there's undoubtedly a reasonable explanation that doesn't involving harming one of the sentient species of Equestria.

Oh my, you totally went there! :mad:

A fish died in Pinkie Apple Pie to an eagle, so food chains are definitely canon! And yeah -- I'm sure pony society has vegan analogues for products that might contain animal ingredients.

Still waiting for them to draw attention to the fact that real horses do in fact eat meat.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived