Your reaction if Nintendo went third party

VGAddict

I would be tremendously saddened by the news. Nintendo was the Company that introduced me to gaming (Oh NES machine how I miss thee <3 ) and I've been with them ever since. Hell except for the virtual boy, I've owned every single one of their consoles and enjoyed them to death. So seeing such a big part of my life essentially bite the dust would be truly a horrible :carp: day

the only other system I wouldn't mind seeing some of their games on is PC, but that's just my opinion. Nintendo selling out to other companies would be the same thing as star wars being bought by disney. Crappy sequels that will be ****, and mass shut down of many departments and mass lay offs.

It would just be bad all around.

There's a difference between Nintendo getting bought by another company and it simply becoming a third party. It would still be in control of its brand, its image and characters, it would just make games that are playable on other platforms as Sega started to after the failure of the Dreamcast.

Personally, I don't see Nintendo going this route. It's not really in the image I have of the company who always seemed very firm and resolute in how it presented itself as well as committed to innovating in ways that go against the rest of the industry. I really can't see a company that made the decision to make something like the Wii in the first place giving up and pushing their popular characters onto XBox or Android or whatever platform might make them money. If they did do that, it would kind of depress me having seen the company and its product grow and evolve as I did, since the early NES days.

The Wii U was probably never a good idea and their currently paying for it. It's poorly named, poorly marketed and poorly conceived as an idea (though having never played one, I can't say if it's actually a bad product). It's not really surprising to see them hurting as they are, as sad as it is. Nintendo still does have the 3DS though, which after a shaky start has done very well in a competitive environment . That offsets the losses on Wii U to some extent, I think and will help keep the company where it is and help Nintendo survive the losses on the Wii U for a while.

Really, it's not like the future for gaming in regards to Sony and Microsoft is very clear despite their consoles selling comparatively well so far. It's hard to really speculate on what might happen, but I honestly see it more likely that Nintendo will keep making hardware. Perhaps next time they roll out a new console it will revitalize them and their image. Perhaps they'll just steadily shift their attention even more toward the 3DS and whatever innovative handheld follow ups it may have. Regardless, I can't see it happening, so if Nintendo did announce they were going third party the big reaction for me would just be shock.

I think Nintendo should embrace the mobile market in addition to improving its hardware business. Pokémon as an app would be huge, which could compliment a hardware-based game. Seriously, it would just explode money all over the place.

They are actually seriously considering that. The mobile phone/tablet market I mean.

I don't know if it makes financial sense really. Pokemon is one thing they have that has sells hardware as it is. it's a big part of why the 3DS is one area where the company isn't hurting as much. People will buy a 3DS or 2DS or whatever just to play Pokemon. Why would they put a game that sells hardware for them on a device that is not only sold by a competitor but which would almost surely necessitate them selling the game itself at greatly reduced costs as well (apps generally don't cost $40)? I really don't see how doing that would make them more money really.

The only way it might work is if they developed separate Pokemon games specifically for the mobile market which were cheaper to produce and independent of the core product which remained exclusive to their hardware. Even then, it's really not something I can see Nintendo doing, especially since, as said, the handheld market isn't the problem for them presently.

Well, look at Minecraft. It's the top selling game in the Play Store even though the computer version was doing a fantastic job on its own. I think if Nintendo did move towards making Pokémon games for the android devices starting with Gold, Silver, and Platinum, or even further back with Red, Blue, and Yellow, then it would be a major hit for sure.

I see what Rarity is saying, but really, 'if it's not broke don't fix it, but build upon it.'

Minecraft for PS3 doesn't cost anymore than the PC version though. Nintendo couldn't sell the current generation Pokemon games as apps for what they're asking for them on 3DS.

The older games though? Hmm, yeah that's a good thought actually. I suppose they could go that route and make some money without having to do anything. They could go cross platform with their library of older games while just keeping the new stuff exclusive to their latest hardware; a lot of people find ways to emulate that kind of stuff on things anyway. It might be a successful strategy for them.

I suppose mixed results... Mario in ps4? With no killing, no booze and no guns, the average ps4 player would get bored... They could ask sony to keep on making PS3's in funny colors for the kiddies, then they remake that flop that was "ps move", and presto! a lookalike wii , so nintendo fans can enjoy malfunctions.

Nintendo is already flopping in hardware sales and with rumors and specs already leaked for two new beefy consoles they are supposedly developing the company looks like it's digging itself into a hole. Nintendo is a company that wants to make games. They should've left the hardware industry after the Gamecube. Nintendo going third party would pretty much fill their pockets and let everyone enjoy their games.

I know I saw a few Wii U games I'd play, but I would never buy I wii U to play them. Just as how I'd never want to play the PS4 games I'll be getting on a Wii U.

Nintendo leaving after the Gamecube wouldn't have made a lot of sense. A lot of gamers seem to forget, but the Wii was a tremendous financial success. Say what you will about it as a console, but it sold very well for them. The Gamecube itself was a third place finisher, but it netted profits for them and was hardly a flop exactly either. Wii U is really their first major console to outright fail at the market. Considering that, I'd actually assume that Nintendo as a company is more secure and sitting on more money than we might think.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I believe Nintendo's strength has always been in the handheld market. They have always held a strong lead in the handheld console market, ever since the original Game Boy; the DS line simply secured it. Just compare how the PS Vita has done compared to the 3DS if you have any doubt, and the fact that Microsoft has more or less stayed out of Nintendo's way in that area. The Wii U was a bad idea, sure, but even if- in the worst case scenario- Nintendo bombed out of the home console market, they are developing handhelds with powerful enough specs that they could possibly continue most, if not all of their franchises on said handhelds.

It would be the best day of my life. I love Metroid, Zelda, and Star Fox, but I will not buy a console just for it to be a door stop with no games to play in the foreseeable future. System has been out for a year. Very few games worth playing. 2014 Lineup- Barren except for for smash bros. It's like steam's current state. Horrible. Wii U feels like a platform drowning in half created budget titles. I'm just imagining a PS4 Metroid title. It looks really good...

Nintendo loves their IPs and they love making games. They are their own devs and publishers, there is literally no one over them telling them what they can and cant do. Develop for the Xbox, Playstation, and PC while making special exclusive versions of their game for their handhelds.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived