RECESS! (Open To Ponyville Fillies and Colts)

Pretzelparty

sNUC2FJ.jpg

*Tick*

"C'mon ... C'mon...", thought an anxious little filly staring intently at the clock on the schoolhouse wall.

*Tock*

"Just a little bit more..."

*Tick*

"WOULD YOU HURRY UP ALREADY?!"

*Tock... RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!*

No sooner did the recess bell sound did the little brown filly jump out of her seat and make for the exit with incredible speed, Celestia help anypony who got between this filly and her recess. Before she left the building though she was sure to snatch her saddlebag from line of others hung on the wall and taking it in her teeth, despite the weird feeling of fabric between her teeth as she held it by the strap.

At this point Bebop had only been in Ponyville for about two weeks. She was still having a bit of trouble making friends at this point though, having grown up on the road with her successful musician parents had left her constantly moving and perhaps the tiniest bit inexperienced when it came to the finer points of socialization. Right now she had managed to find a companion in a local filly by the name of Haywire, having met her at a small music shop opened up by the famous cellist Octavia Melody. Another friend she'd managed to meet was a filly named Wind Walker. The only problem with being Wind's friend was that she didn't go to school to ponyville and mostly they had to be penpals for the time being except for the times they had the chance to see eachother.

Oddly enough for a youthful filly like Bebop, she had elected to use a portion of her recess for studying of a different kind than what they had scheduled in the classroom for today. Today's lessons sadly didn't include one of Bebop's favorite things; music class!

Rifling through her bag she took out her favorite Harmonica and lifted the instrument to her lips before playing a cheerful tune for everypony who exited the schoolhouse in search for fun on the playground!

9DmcOs.jpgHaywire

Bebop wasn't the only one in class watching the clock. Haywire stared at the clock with equal anxiousness and when the bell finally rang for recess, she was very close behind her unicorn filly friend. Seeing Bebop take out her harmonica to play inspired the blank flank filly to do the same.

"Hiya Bebop! How's about I help ya with that great tune?" Haywire asked as she began to play, closely following Bebop note for note. As she played, the blonde filly began to dance around on her hind legs, allowing herself to get carried away by the music she and Bebop were playing. Haywire was very happy that she and Bebop shared a love of music in common. There were other things to do during recess, but Haywire was very pleased to start the time off with a song!

Recess.

Sweet glorious recess. If it was a class, Guiding Light would not only deem it his most favorite one but he'd ace it. Sure the filly liked school, but recess was that little moment of freedom that he had the chance to stretch his legs after being in his seat. Most importantly, he had a chance to play with he friends and perhaps even try to practice his light magic.

After bounding out of the schoolhouse, the colt's desire to get a jump start on the fun began with hearing the sound of a nearby harmonica being played. Following the sounds, Guiding sees a brown filly playing the sweet tune. Soon after, another filly, this one a red earth pony followed suit.

"Hey that's a neat tune you two. You really have a great talent for playing. Do you think that'll be your cutie marks?"

Why did I make Guiding a filly before? Fixed him as his true gender now as a colt.

Diamond enjoyed recess. Unlike the rest of the school day, she wasn't under Miss Cheerilee's watchful eye. She could speak more bluntly and get away with a lot more. it was a nice little break from all the sucking up and trying to be a good girl she was forced to do elsewhere. Usually it just meant doing something fun with Silver or teasing Apple Bloom and her silly little friends, but sometimes it was the highlight of the day.

That day, she wasn't sure what to expect, but soon an unusual sound reached her ear. it was the sound of music, played on a harmonica. Then it was the sound of two harmonicas playing in tandem. It was kind of interesting and unexpected, so Diamond moved toward the sound until she spotted some of her classmates, blank flanks Haywire and Bebop. Now, these weren't her favorite blank flanks, the cutie mark crusaders, so she might have just moved along without saying anything. After all, playing music was a better thing to do with their time than what most blank flanks did. She probably would have left them be and gone to look for Apple Bloom, but she just so happened to overheard a set of words uttered by another classmate, Guiding Light.

"Hey that's a neat tune you two. You really have a great talent for playing. Do you think that'll be your cutie marks?"

Well... if he was going to bring it up, she couldn't very well stop herself...

"Oh, I'm not sure you should be filling them up with hope. After all, it could be years before their marks show up at this rate. You never do know with blank flanks," she said through a sigh, shaking her head.

She laughed deviously and looked right at Bebop. "Of course, I guess it would be kind of funny if our chatty friend here got a mark for making awful noise," she said, turning her head upward. She did actually have a few things against this mute little new girl. The two of them had been a part of a special field trip to Canterlot together, and had had a few exchanges of note...

HappleBloomBanner_zps996468fa.png

Apple Bloom took a deep breath of that fresh schoolyard air. Well, sorta fresh. Not as fresh as Sweet Apple Acres but they did the best they coould with their air they had, she reckoned. Nothing was as good as back home and all day long she longed to either return to her family or crusade with her friends. There was always something to do at home, whether that be help her family and earn her spot as the best Apple of all time- a lofty position considering who her siblings were- or simply learning the tools of the trade that she had set upon as her future...cutie mark notwithstanding, of course. That was the second passion of hers. Finding her cutie mark and where she belonged with her two best friends, a task that took up much of the time that would be spent otherwise on homework and whatever it was else that Cheerilee asked her to do that didn't involve going to and from school.

Now, don't get Apple Bloom wrong. She loved Miss Cheerilee and she liked learning, and Miss Cheerilee was even a pretty great teacher. She tried her best when she was in school but the moment the clock struck and her time was done, she immediately switched gears. She went to the farm to be an Apple and with her friends to be a Crusader, but there were times at Recess where she wasn't even that. Sometimes, Apple Bloom was just fine being a filly and having some fun and there were few times like recess to show that. If Cheerilee ever had a class about being a filly or having fun then Apple Bloom would get the biggest A plus in the history of A pluses. She did very well in physical education! Maybe she should teach some real markatable skills like farming. Then she'd get even better grades and be the teacher's pet. That phrase never made any sense to Apple Bloom- pets wore leashes and Apple Bloom didn't know a great many ponies who wore leashes.

But in any case, Apple Bloom immediately hoofed it to a ball and started kicking it around lightly, playing one-pony soccer with herself for a while. She had an excess amount of energy, spending it as she waited for her friends. As she played single-pony games, kicking the ball up in the air and having it bounce off of her head repeatedly, sending the filly up on two legs as she extended herself to continue the impressive streak before going back down on all fours, a sweet harmonica tune resonated across the whole playground. Didn't take long for Abby to move her head subtly in tune with it and miss the ball, sending it careening off the left side of her face and rolling towards the group. It came to a rest across from a Diamond Tiara in the throes of mocking some other blank flanks. Uggh. Apple Bloom had picked her spot to be clear out of that lazy little shrew of a minx, her degenerate attitude clashing with her attractive colors. Put any attitude other than hers there and she would be the queen of every ball. With that attitude, she was the final boss in every comic book ever made. Oh well, she needed her ball.

Apple Bloom trotted energetically into the fray, crossing in front of Tiara's field of view like a small buffallo in front of a hungry griffon. Apple Bloom had a sneaking suspicion that Tiara's barbs and arrows would find their hooks under her pelt soon enough and drag Apple Bloom to the point of either tears or hooficuffs, but such was the price she paid to ensure that others wouldn't get harrassed too much. Too bad she wouldn't get a hero cutie mark. And that she could get her ball back, which was more important by a considerable stretch.

"That's a fine tune thar, Bepop! Ah bet that with a bit more practice ya could fill up 'bout ten concert halls. Ah reckon Ah couldn't do a tenth as good," She offered up a sacrificial lamb for Tiara's pyre, rolling the ball under her hoof and on top of her fetlock. Now was the time to put the ball in Tiara's court- literally.

"Hey Diamond, catch!" Apple Bloom bellowed before hitting the ball towards the prima donna with only a little force, hoping mostly just to take her mind off of whatever evil she was conjuring. And maybe it'd smack her in the face, also a good outcome.

iEJLBzK.jpg

"Hiya Bebop! How's about I help ya with that great tune?"

No sooner did she start playing did Bebop's close friend, Haywire come and join her. At this point in their friendship, Haywire didn't have to ask whether or not she could join in on any musical performances her friend started up, she was welcome to join in at anytime.

Levitating her notebook into everypony's view she managed to write down a quick statement saying Haywire could join in any session she started playing! While her pencil quickly wrote down her message, the filly who was controlling the pencil was still doing quite a job at her playing; she made sure to look at who she was talking to though so as now to appear rude. While she and her friend continued their little jam session She realized that already some of the other foals in the classroom were getting drawn to their musical prowess. One such Foal was a classmate Bebop hadn't gotten much of a chance to talk to; Guiding Light.

To accentuate her now cheery mood her playing began to increase tempo, hoping the feeling of the music might carry over to her written greeting to the newcomer, she began to write, "I Sure hope so. My parents are already super awesome musicians. One day I wanna play on stage with them!" In this little filly's there were few pony's she admired more than her parents but they were really busy touring so she wasn't seeing much of them. There was little that could sour Bebop's mood, she was playing jaunty tune with a friend, in the process of making a new friend., and her favorite super awesome aunt was coming to town soon! The only possible thing that could mess up this moment was...

"Oh, I'm not sure you should be filling them up with hope. After all, it could be years before their marks show up at this rate. You never do know with blank flanks, Of course, I guess it would be kind of funny if our chatty friend here got a mark for making awful noise,"

Oh, sweet Celestia. It -had- to be her didn't it? Obviously Diamond Tiara would be attending recess, she was a fellow student after all, but it didn't mean that Bebop had to like it. Just hearing the pink earth filly talk was supremely annoying and was slowly making the tempo of her playing drop a noticeable bit. Since Diamond seemed to always make it her business to make Blank-flanks like bebop and her friend Haywire, she was in no way on good terms with Bebop.

Looking at the Tiara wearing pony she gave a sigh through her hamonica and looked at her with a mild scowl on her face before writing down a message for Diamond tiara to read. On this note was ,"Mind if I ask what your mark is and what's so great about it?" Whether or not the local bully replied, Bebop didn't care too much as soon another familiar (and this time friendly) face appeared.

"That's a fine tune thar, Bepop! Ah bet that with a bit more practice ya could fill up 'bout ten concert halls. Ah reckon Ah couldn't do a tenth as good,"

Applebloom was always a welcome sight. She and Bebop had originally met during the Running of the leaves, where they enjoyed a picnic with a strange green pegasus who seemed to have been waiting for someone but not opposed to company. As she waved to Applebloom she beamed proudly at another compliment from the growing audience, levitating another page to the red maned earth filly she wrote down that maybe Applebloom could try and that could be her mark! Bebop Wasn't a part of the crusaders so she had no knowledge of what her friend had tried already for in regards to her and her two friend's previous crusades.

"Hey Diamond, catch!"

Once Applebloom made her declaration to Tiara and threw her ball at the pompous pony, Bebop couldn't help but break a cadence in her performance... a break in the show that would only grow longer if the ball actually hit her in the face whereupon Bebop woudl erupt into a fight of silent laughter.

Haywire stopped playing her harmonica when Diamond Tiara insulted Bebop. She was her friend and using sarcasm to make fun of her wasn't a bit nice. She put her harmonica away as she began to growl at her.

"Hey ya crown wearin' snooty filly! Ain't no pony gits away with makin' fun of mah friends!" the rust colored filly snorted. Haywire was very tempted to punch this upstart right in the snoot! That's what her big sister Haymaker would do, but she quickly dismissed that notion. Haywire was about to reach for her slingshot to put a rock right between Diamond Tiara's eyes when Applebloom's ball headed straight for the wisecracking filly. Seeing this caused Haywire to wait to see what would happen next. Looks like AppleBloom was going to do the 'job' for her!

The happiness of listening to the filly play was shattered by none other that Diamond Tiara. Light knew that this filly was not the nicest pony in his class at all, especially with the way she treated ponies that did not have their cutie marks like the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Oh, I'm not sure you should be filling them up with hope. After all, it could be years before their marks show up at this rate. You never do know with blank flanks," she said through a sigh, shaking her head.

She laughed deviously and looked right at Bebop. "Of course, I guess it would be kind of funny if our chatty friend here got a mark for making awful noise,"

"Hey, I thought that she played great. An who knows, she could even get her cutie mark today."

"I Sure hope so. My parents are already super awesome musicians. One day I wanna play on stage with them!"

Light read the note as he was used to the way the filly communicated. It was strange at first watching her write while every other pony he knew could speak. Maybe she was just shy or maybe she couldn't speak from birth. For whatever reason, Light wasn't going to judge.

"That's neat having parents as musicians. I wish I can play, but I'm not sure if I can. Never really tried to sing or play an instrument. Did your parents teach you how to play or did your learn the harmonica on her own?"

Scootaloo bounded out of the schoolhouse, almost knocking over a few of her fellow classmates in the process as she made her escape to temporary freedom. Granted he loved school, but any chance to get away from sitting at her desk and stretching her legs was fine for her. As she made her way into the yard he saw... her. Diamond Tiara was a perpetual thorn in her flank as was it was the same as the other Cutie Mark Crusaders. Not a day went by that the pink pony found something to poke fun of no matter how trivial it was. The continual struggle to Scootaloo was less of a threat and more of an annoyance like flies buzzing around her.

The orange Pegasus caught a glimpse of her friends Apple Bloom kicking a ball towards Diamond Tiara. It wasn't a hard kick so Scootaloo didn't know why the earth pony decided to kick it towards Diamond Tiara unless to make her flinch like the scared pony she was.

"Hey Apple Bloom. What do you want to do today?"

"Mind if I ask what your mark is and what's so great about it?"

Diamond stared at the page that was thrust before her and just sighed. She shook her head as she looked at Bebop and tsked. "Tch, well, isn't it obvious? My tiara is a symbol of my class, of my luxury, of my poise and of my superiority," she said in a haughty voice, tossing back her mane and then pointing the same tiara that was represented on her flank forward.

"My Daddy bought this for me in Manehattan. It's a precious thing, that proves I'm a filly who knows how to get exactly what I want, and not still some dumb indecisive baby blank flank foal," she added with a huff. Seriously, all of this should have been obvious to anyone. Blank flanks could be a little thick though, she supposed.

"Hey ya crown wearin' snooty filly! Ain't no pony gits away with makin' fun of mah friends!"

To absolutely nopony's surprise, the other blank flank decided to stick up for Bebop. Diamond just rolled her eyes at this and gave a short snarl.

"Yeah, yeah, what are you going to do about it exactly?" she challenged, eyes narrowed.

"Hey Diamond, catch!"

She was going to say more to the two in front of her, but suddenly she heard a call from behind her. She turned toward the voice as quick as she could, but it was a little late. A ball was moving directly in the direction of her face. She didn't have time to do anything but brace herself before it slammed right into her muzzle. Now, it wasn't moving very fast. Had Diamond been prepared, even an otherwise not very athletic foal like her could have been able to hit it back. It was only in the suddenness and the surprise that she was unable to get to it in time. It didn't exactly hurt when it slammed into her face, but it did sting a little. Moreover, the sheer indignation of the act itself quickly had her enraged. Her eyes settled upon the guilty. It of course was her. Apple Bloom. The blankest of the blank flanks. Diamond didn't entirely understand what it was with this filly, but there was no other she had ever met who provoked her more profoundly. She was physically incapable of letting her be. It was like she just begged for Diamond Tiara to tease her. If she intended now to play chief blank flank and protect her little classmates by calling attention back to her, well, who was Diamond to deny her that?

Diamond gave a low growl and then kicked the ball she had been hit with herself, only not at Apple Bloom. She kicked it clean in the opposite direction away from the schoolhouse. If the blank flanks were going to throw their toys at her, she was just going to send them off to who knew where. That way no one could play with them. Served them right. She laughed and then stepped away from Bebop slowly, Apple Bloom in her sights.

"You have a lot of nerve, blank flank...You must think you're so funny," she said, her tone growing deeper. "If there's something you want to say to me, say it to my face!" she added angrily, coming up right into Apple Bloom's face.

The ball smacked into Tiara's face with all of the good luck that Apple Bloom could have deviously wished for. She didn't want to hurt the filly...badly, at least, but seeing her normal snarky, sarcastic, cruel demeanor brought low with some good ol' honest anger did Apple Bloom's heart a lot of good by way of schadenfreude. The ball bounced not too far away and it worked out pretty well, Apple Bloom having to feign a bit of sorrow. Well, she was sorry. Sorry mostly that Tiara's tiara remained whole. That piece of her was a mystery. How did it stay on all the time? You may as well have told her that it was glued on. Was it glued on? probably not. Tiara cared far too much about her appearance to weaken it by gluing things to herself. In any case, it didn't take long for Tiara to have a foalish little temper tantrum as befit a pony of her....uhh, raging intellect.

So she kicked the ball away. Well, no real harm there. The school had other balls. Plenty of other balls. Maybe Tiara didn't know that because the thought of sports and games were as foreign to her as thoughts of spending all day examining your mane and pelt were foreign to Apple Bloom. The games would continue eventually. Of course, maybe not for Apple Bloom. She may have sacrificed the rest of her recess, but oh well. She'd have some more time later. She basically existed outside anyway- recess was more like school, when she could relax inside instead of baking in the open sun. So in a sense this was a good thing? Nah. But at least self-rationalization was alive and well. Tiara stomped her way over and ended up yelling snout to snout, her well coifed and perfumed appearance shining with a brilliant pair of eyes that shined with a malovence that was so very rare in Equestria. Apple Bloom had stared down chimeras- Tiara was nothing.

"Ah wanted ta play catch. Didn't figure yahad tha reflexes of Granny Smith!" Apple Bloom added jovially, turning her back on Tiara and trotting back a few steps. She was sure that Tiara would continue this fight for awhile and what could annoy her more than not taking her up on her offer of fear? "Geeze, wouldn't hurt ya play some sports, ya know. Yer probably fit enough and you sure kicked that ball far," she added positively, hoping to turn the knife in a few turns more, "sorry ya got hurt though. Get any scratch? Maybe you need tha doctor. Does yer dad take ya ta the doc when you get a bruise?" topic now on Tiara, more little pokes while being friendly. Apple Bloom didn't hate Tiara, after all. But she also had absolutely no illusions about Diamond's chances at developing into anypony pleasant.

Speaking of pleasant, Scootaloo found her way to the festivities. Now there was a pony worth her good nature. Scootaloo was one of Abby's good friends and they shared a lot of common interests, like playing sports and getting cutie marks. Probably more but those two were more than enough. She came up to Apple Bloom and asked what they had planned- simple answer.

"Oh, Ah dunno. Go get a ball, we'll come up with somethin' Ah bet!" She stated as she imagined her and Scootaloo repeating epic kicks back and forth. They were both fairly athletic little ponies. Apple Bloom had the reach, Scootaloo the flexibility for a quality exchange. Speaking of exchanges, Bepop's little message was sweet. That would be an interesting way to get a cutie mark-

"Why, Ah never imagined bein' first cellist in a symphony before!"

Apple Susie had just recently join the Ponyville school but one thing that she knew for sure was that she LOVED Recess. Once the bell rung Apple Susie rushed out of her seat and out the door she was greeted in the face by none other than a ball to the snout, "AAAHHH!", she fell and somersault rolled for what felt like a minute into the dust before ending with her rear end planted down and her mane looking like a crows' nest. She shook her head to clear the fuzzier that we're zooming in her head before glancing around, " wha in Celestia's name up an jus' walloped me in the nose?", she glanced around before finding the squishy culprit. She got up and walked over to it and slightly tapped it with her hoof ," we'll I guess whoever sent ya flyin' ova here must be needin' ya back somethin' fierce huh?". Apple Susie then proceeded to pick up the ball with her teeth, making sure to keep spit off of it before placing it on her back. She glanced around and then heard somepony talking about needing a ball, she trotted over to the voice and saw her cousin AppleBloom talking to another filly , "hey cuz! was that you that i heard talkin' about needin' a ball?". She kneeled down and let the ball slide off of her back, over her mane, and then stood up to watch it roll towards her cousins' hooves.

iEJLBzK.jpg

"Tch, well, isn't it obvious? My tiara is a symbol of my class, of my luxury, of my poise and of my superiority,"

"My Daddy bought this for me in Manehattan. It's a precious thing, that proves I'm a filly who knows how to get exactly what I want, and not still some dumb indecisive baby blank flank foal,"

"Hey ya crown wearin' snooty filly! Ain't no pony gits away with makin' fun of mah friends!"

Bebop didn't even try to hide her rather obvious if silen fit of laughter, in fact it seems she was willing to make it obvious by having her harmonica mimicking laughter. Smirking a bit she took her pencil and notepad once again wrote down a message. Sliding the little page to the pink pony she was shown to have written down, "That is possibly the most absolutely BORING Cutie mark ever. Really I'd rather stay a blank-flank than get a lame talent like yours." In order to get across just how much emphasis she wanted to put on her thoughts on Diamond's cutie mark she not only wrote the word 'Boring' in big block capitals but also underlined it. It still seemed that Haywire had something to say to their prissy little bully as well, obviously Bebop was happy to see her friend so willing to stick up with her... although she thought the slingshot and rock was a bit much. Before she could write down an objection to launching the pebble at Diamond's snout she found herself slightly distracted by the voice of a colt also speaking up in her defense.

"Hey, I thought that she played great. An who knows, she could even get her cutie mark today."

"That's neat having parents as musicians. I wish I can play, but I'm not sure if I can. Never really tried to sing or play an instrument. Did your parents teach you how to play or did your learn the harmonica on her own?"

The filly blushed a little bit hearing the colt's kind words and then got off her seat and looked to her flank. Shrugging a bit she levitated her pencil and paper to her side and showed what she said to Guiding light. On the paper she admitted that her father taught her to play the harmonica but she also said that she knew how to play the guitar and was learning how to play the saxophone. For the guitar she wrote that her mother was responsible for teaching her that and that she didn't bring it along to school because the harmonica was easier to carry around. as a small post script on the bottom of the note guiding might be able to see what appeared to be a sloppily erased post script that said that it was nice to hear that a cute colt liked her playing.

Soon though the filly took notice that behind guiding, Diamond had taken the ball to the face. For a slightly awkward moment the filly made an odd face before falling over and laughing in an over the top manner, the fit of quiet laughter lasted about two minutes before she got back up to her hooves and brushed a tear from her amber colored eyes. It seemed that Diamond and Applebloom were once again having some words. Walking over to the pair she noticed one particular part of the exchange that gave her an idea of what to say.

"Ah wanted ta play catch. Didn't figure ya had tha reflexes of Granny Smith! Geeze, wouldn't hurt ya play some sports, ya know. Yer probably fit enough and you sure kicked that ball far,"

Swiftly writing down another page she levitated another page to the yellow filly, hoping that Applebloom would read it, it stated on the first page,"I think that's a bit much, Applebloom." below that statement was an arrow that seemed to imply she should turn the page. On the next page it read,"I think even My Grandma would've been able to catch that throw. you need to respect your elders!" if Apple bloom looked towards the source of the note she'd see that from the look on bebop's face she was probably kidding about the very last part.

Haywire could now see that it was a lot funner to use her words to 'attack' Diamond Tia rather than using punches or slingshot propelled stones. AppleBloom was handling the situation perfectly, so the rust colored filly decided to follow up on her comments first.

"Best ferget ol' crown filly thar, AppleBloom! Even if'n she wanted ta play ball, she'd holler fer her bulter Randolph ta do all the runnin' an' kickin' fer her! Ain't that right, Diamond Tiara? Oh yeah, ya can't talk cause yur gonna git Randolph ta talk fer ya too! Maybe Randolph's gonna do yur breathin' fer ya, right? Hay Diamond Tiara, I play in a band, bet if'n YOU played in a band, ol' Randolph would be the one playin' and singin' fer ya. Yur dad orta give'm a big raise fer all the aggravation you put'm through."

Haywire then turned to Bebop, "whatcha wanna do next? I'd be happy ta keep playin' music with ya, er maybe we kin git up a game of hoofball!"

The blonde filly then turned to Apple Susie.

"Thanks a heap fer bringin' that thar ball back to us! By the way, SHE'S the one that bopped ya with it," Haywire said, pointing a hoof at Diamond Tiara. "Don't be too harsh on'r though, she can't throw straight unless her butler does it fer her!"

Guiding Light, no longer focused on the snarky comments from Diamond Tiara, became interested in what Bebop was feverishly writing on her paper. Obviously the pony could hear him speak, but the fact that she wasn't talking still troubled him. Still he was on the cusp of meeting a new pony and possibly forging a friendship. Asking about her possible disability could end things before they began. After waiting for a few minutes he carefully read the filly's words about how she got her mark, nodding in understatement occasionally. But there was something else there that although attempted to be erased by the unicorn still was readable. To his surprise Bebop called Guiding cute.

"Y...you think I'm cute?" he said trying to not fall back into the shy mess that he once was while his face turned a shade of red. Well it was now or never to say what his heart felt, but before he could the filly was distracted by Diamond Tiara taking a ball to the face. He felt like he was about to lose the chance to say something, forever closing the door on any possibly friendship or otherwise. Suddenly he blurted out loud enough for her to hear, "I think you're cute too and i like you."

He immediately put his hooves over his mouth, realizing that perhaps everypony in the yard hear his confession. A storm of fear went though his mind like the other ponies thinking he was some kind of silly pony. The worst thing though was his wonder what Bebop would say in return. Would she like him, or would she reject him?

scootalobannerLux_zps79c43853.png

The ball that Apple Bloom kicked hit home on Diamond Tiara's face, making Scootaloo surprised that the filly couldn't react in time to catch it. It was almost like diamond Tiara didn't know how to play sports, a thought that sent a shiver down the orange Pegasus's spine. What pony didn't know how to at least catch a ball? For an athletic pony like Scootaloo what she saw was unfathomable. But the reaction was swift and severe as Diamond Tiara suddenly kicked the ball with a forced that caused it to sail away.

"Hey," Scootaloo shouted, "Apple Bloom was just trying to play catch with you. It's not her fault that you couldn't catch the balll in time. And speaking of ball, why did you have to go and kick that ball we were using?"

Before she could go and retrieve another ball, Scootaloo saw a filly carrying one on her back. She proudly announced that she was one of Apple Bloom's many cousins and rolled the ball to the yellow filly.

"Hey thanks for getting the ball back. So you're one of Apple Bloom's cousins you said. How many cousins do you have exactly AppleBloom? Like three hundred? Anyway I'm Scootaloo. What's your name?"

While waiting for the reply Scootaloo noticed another classmate holding a piece of paper. She was an odd pony, communicating using text rather than talking but the filly was very kind and that made her a great pony in Scootaloo's book. Seeing the jab at Diamond's failed attempts to catch the ball made the Pegasus snicker a little.

"Good one," she said patting the pony on her back.

• 2 weeks later...

"That is possibly the most absolutely BORING Cutie mark ever. Really I'd rather stay a blank-flank than get a lame talent like yours."

Diamond had to give Bebop some credit. She was more willing to play the game and fight back. For a pony with no voice, she sure didn't hesitate to speak her little mind. It was just too bad really that the things she had to say were so useless. Really, what was she trying to get out of this? Probably was just trying to convince herself desperately that her life wasn't completely pathetic.

"So it's boring to be in control, to have class and to possess nice things?" Diamond started scrupulously, staring blankly at the filly who was trying to get a rise out of her. "Well, it's probably a good think you think so. I doubt a pony like you'll ever be experiencing any of those feelings for yourself after all," she said with stinging sass, flipping back her mane.

"Ah wanted ta play catch. Didn't figure yahad tha reflexes of Granny Smith! Geeze, wouldn't hurt ya play some sports, ya know. Yer probably fit enough and you sure kicked that ball far, sorry ya got hurt though. Get any scratch? Maybe you need tha doctor. Does yer dad take ya ta the doc when you get a bruise?"

"Hey, Apple Bloom was just trying to play catch with you. It's not her fault that you couldn't catch the balll in time. And speaking of ball, why did you have to go and kick that ball we were using?"

Diamond stared at the two thirds of the premiere blank flank trio she was faced with and gave a little groan. They both thought they were so clever. Or, Apple Bloom did at least. Miss flightless pegasus was probably actually dumb and naive enough to think her friend was just trying to play nicely.

"Very funny, blank flanks. It has nothing to do with ability and you know it. I'd like to see you catch a ball with your back turned!" she started with a huff, looking right at Apple Bloom. "I'm not stupid. I know your game, blank flank. All you blank flanks can do is band together like this and protect each other, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm right."

"Best ferget ol' crown filly thar, AppleBloom! Even if'n she wanted ta play ball, she'd holler fer her bulter Randolph ta do all the runnin' an' kickin' fer her! Ain't that right, Diamond Tiara? Oh yeah, ya can't talk cause yur gonna git Randolph ta talk fer ya too! Maybe Randolph's gonna do yur breathin' fer ya, right? Hay Diamond Tiara, I play in a band, bet if'n YOU played in a band, ol' Randolph would be the one playin' and singin' fer ya. Yur dad orta give'm a big raise fer all the aggravation you put'm through."

Diamond frowned as yet another blank flank joined into the act and tried to put her in her place. She glared as Haywire and shook her head.

"Hung up on my butler, are you? You really must have been impressed," she said, sighing. "I suppose it's only fair. A common little hayseed like you won't ever know what it's like to have good hired help after all."

"It's all irrelevent anyway," she said. "I could have caught that ball myself if I had seen it. It's just that i thought it was funny to throw it at me when I wasn't looking." She glared back at Apple Bloom.

Bepop's note was pretty funny, enough s that Apple Bloom had to stiffle a fierce giggle. She had a really nice sense of humor about her and Apple Bloom was sure that of all the fillies in the class that Bepop had the most unknown potential, even ioncluding the Crusaders! Someday she'd d something great based on nothing but her own merit and ponies would have to recognize it or face the consequences. She looked at Bepop and nodded fiercely to let her know she agreed. After all, it was pretty true- even Granny Smith could have probably caught it. Diamond just had the reactions of a statue. Yeah, that'd work. She was a silly little statue pony unable to play catch. On account of being a statue. Of stone.

What wasn't stone was Haywire. She had a motor mouth that ran a thousand and four hooves per second powered by an endless array of friendly mischief and fireworks and all combinations thereof. But she did seem to have an odd obsession with Diamond's butler. Did Randolph eat Haywire's lunch or something? She seemed awfully focused on the whole butler aspect. It was sort of funny and sort of weird, so all Apple Bloom could give was a chuckle. And seeing Diamond get more than she was giving was both weird and a little uncomfortable. Heck, she had said maybe only half as many hurtful words as the others. Made her feel a little bit bad about kicking that ball in the first place. If Babs had taught her anything, it was that bullying the bully didn't help matters any.

At least Scootaloo was more on point. Of course it was up in the air whether Scoots believed what Apple Bloom was selling but she figured it didn't matter entirely too much either way. If she did, she'd wise up fast. Also joining the fray was her cousin, Apple Susie. Apple Bloom was always happy to have a relation stop on by and join the school system for a bit.Susie was a fine little pony to have around and one Bloom was happy to call family. She also had an uncanny streak of luck and arrived with the ball! Well, Apple Bloom would have loved it and received the ball warmly. But she had a better idea for it- and promptly lightly tapped the ball towards Haywire.

"Thanks Susie but Ah figure that Haywire, Bepop, Guidin' Light and yerself should tighten up yer Hoofball game up some. Then maybe y'all could hope ta take me on tha field!" She winked, seeing the image in her mind's eye: the day that a pony was within sniffing distance of her on the field. Hey, fantasies were awesome. She then pivoted back to Diamond.

How to handle this? Being snide wasn't her thing and she couldn't ignore her, being the main target of her attack. Honesty would have to work. Apple Bloom sighed tremendously.

"Ah'm sorry, Diamond. Ah just wanted ta get yer mind off of makin' fun of Bepop an' such since it ain't a nice thing to be going around makin' fun of ponies. You do a good job of getting under mah pelt, no need ta be such a tick ta everypony else. I can see it worked," Apple Bloom ended smugly. Whether she would admit to it or not, Tiara had to know that she was right- Apple Bloom had taken her attention. Always a very useful skill to have mastered around the prissy pony of personal pain.

iEJLBzK.jpg

"So it's boring to be in control, to have class and to possess nice things?" Diamond started scrupulously, staring blankly at the filly who was trying to get a rise out of her. "Well, it's probably a good think you think so. I doubt a pony like you'll ever be experiencing any of those feelings for yourself after all," she said with stinging sass, flipping back her mane.

The brown filly gave a huff and rolled her eyes at Diamond Tiara. Really she had figured she had gotten some sort of annoyed reaction from her seeing as she was being glared at for the moment. It was without a doubt fun to see Diamond trying to defend her "talent". Rather then prolong this confrontation any further she just decided to write down one word in the dirt with the tip of her hoof. After gesturing for Tiara to look down the pink filly would see just a singular word,"Yes."

Bebop was fine with not being able to control everything in her life, if she got everything she wanted and everything went her way life would be incredibly boring! In regards to having class She felt it was more fun to work to become classy ... and for some reason Diamond's definition of having class seemed to include being a snob. Last time Bebop had checked she could have sworn that being 'classy' required having good manners and by extension being polite; so honestly in a way this pony was possibly the least classy filly she'd ever met.

For now though, this pony had much better things to do than waste her precious recess time on Diamond. Besides so far she was already getting noticed by other foals who would appreciate her for who she was more than the prissy pink filly she now had turned her back to.

"Good one,"

And with a light bump on her back she'd already met another one! This one was a filly with an orange coat and magenta mane. In reply to Scootaloo's appreciation of her bit of wordplay at Tiara's expense, The blond maned filly gave a bow as if accepting praise for a wondrous performance on stage. Once again levitating her helpful Notepad and pencil to her side she wrote down something and hoofed it to Scootaloo. On the paper it Introduced her as Bebop slide, the new foal. While she was communicating with her new friend she practically froze up as she heard one colt suddenly blurt out something that took her by surprise.

"I think you're cute too and i like you!"

Blinking a few times she looked over to the yellow colt and then to scootaloo before writing down she'd be back in a moment. Galloping over to the colt she started writing down something something hastily, all the while blushing and smiling nervously. Writing down a note she showed it to guiding. On the paper she asked if her meant what he said and if he did perhaps they could meet after school.

"Thanks Susie but Ah figure that Haywire, Bepop, Guidin' Light and yerself should tighten up yer Hoofball game up some. Then maybe y'all could hope ta take me on tha field!"

Haywire then turned to Bebop, "whatcha wanna do next? I'd be happy ta keep playin' music with ya, er maybe we kin git up a game of hoofball!"

For now though it seemed that Applebloom had a good idea. Bebop loved Hoofball! She could only really play goalie though due to her lack of communication skills. Looking to her friend haywire she drew an arrow in the dirt pointing to Applebloom showing she was for the idea of hoofball.

-Silver Spoon-

Silver Spoon was late to recess, as if a normalcy. She had been caught up with talking to Winter Dazzle who was now sleeping on her desk for some reason. No matter how Silver tried she could never really understand that pony, her personality went straight from being hyper as ever to being a silent statue. Oh well it wasn't much to think on now. She walked outside of the school building and noticed that she was of course late to all of the fun that was happening. Some sort of game of hoofball was starting to unfold. Not that she would play but it was nice to sit and watch the other ponies play. Maybe she could be a cheerleader, that would be fun!

"Well well well, what have we here?" Silver walked up next to Diamond and gave a HUGE grin.

At least Guiding Light could breathe a sigh of relief knowing that thankfully none of the other ponies seemed to mind his outburst. Granted he never was a pony that liked to be ignored, but in this case his little emotional slip didn't make him the object of being teased. The real concern though was seeing how the filly named Bebop, whom his comment was towards, understood what he said amongst the crowds of ponies discussing hoofball and more importantly how she would react. For a moment the filly stood in surprise before then writing down something. There the colt stood waiting to see what she was going to say, or in this case write.

Finally the judgement came and it was revealed that she was unsure about truly what he meant, but if he meant that he liked her then the door was opened for meeting afterwards.

"Ok... I mean yes I meant what I said. Want to meet after school today?"

His reply had to wait as Apple Bloom announced a little hoofball practicing for some of her friends. Light wasn't the most athletic of ponies, but that didn't stop him from trying.

"So, what do you ponies want to do then? How about hide and find? It's kind of like hide and seek but one pony puts an object somewhere and the other ponies need to find it. Whoever finds it gets to hide it next. How does that sound?"

"Very funny, blank flanks. It has nothing to do with ability and you know it. I'd like to see you catch a ball with your back turned!" she started with a huff, looking right at Apple Bloom. "I'm not stupid. I know your game, blank flank. All you blank flanks can do is band together like this and protect each other, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm right."

"Whatever," Scootaloo said rolling her eyes. She wasn't blind to the fact that she knew that Apple Bloom kicked the ball at the smug pony. Why her friend did so was something only she could guess, although Scootaloo knew that Apple Bloom hated to see other ponies take the brunt of Diamond Tiara's bullying, preferring if it were her taking the teasing. She had to give Apple Bloom credit that she was tougher than most in the same situation.

Scootaloo then watched as Bebop introduced herself.

"Oh hi there Bebop. I'm Scootaloo."

Before she could say anything else Bebop turned her attention to a pony named Guiding Light. In doing so Scootaloo noticed something, or rather something that wasn't there. Bebop did not have a cutie mark. This was something the orange Pegasus had to put into her memory for later as considering a certain club Scootaloo was in it may useful.

"Thanks Susie but Ah figure that Haywire, Bepop, Guidin' Light and yerself should tighten up yer Hoofball game up some. Then maybe y'all could hope ta take me on tha field!"

"I can use the practice myself actually. Gotta get ready for the next game. How about we have one pony be in the goal and each pony try and get the ball past that pony? Then once everypony had a shot, then we switch goalies. Everypony gets to be a goalie and everypony gets to try and take a shot. How does that sound?"

"Hoofball! What a great idear!" Haywire cheered, seeing Bebop's writing in the dirt as well as the chatter from all of the ponies around her. "Let's go play! Betcha we kin all have a humdinger of a fun game!"

Haywire then turned towards Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

"You kin come an' join us if'n ya wanna, Silver Spoon, but I know if'n I ask ol' crown filly thar, she'd send out that poor ol' butler of hers ta play in her place. Poor ol' stallion would have a heart attack tryin' ta stop mah super wild swingin back kick! Well anyway, have fun bein' annoyin' all by yurself, Diamond Tiara!"

Haywire rushed out in front of her classmates:

"Ok, who wants ta play some hoofball with me?"

(OOC: Sorry for being such a dunce and forgetting my email and account password, sooo anyways BACK TO EQUESTRIA WE GO! :razz: also for some strange reason my computer wont let me use the quote thingy or the letter coloring option so if you get a bit confused I'm sorry!)

Apple Susie smiled at the warm greeting she received from her fellow ponies.

"Thanks a heap fer bringin' that thar ball back to us! By the way, SHE'S the one that bopped ya with it," Haywire said, pointing a hoof at Diamond Tiara. "Don't be too harsh on'r though, she can't throw straight unless her butler does it fer her!"

Apple Susie glanced at the current filly speaking and smiled at her comment about hurting the supposed culprit who had hit her in the snout with the ball. “Aww well it’s no big deal or nothin’ just gave me a big surprise is all I guess not every pony is as athletic as the next”. Apple Susie then turned her head to look at another filly that had just started talking to her

"Hey thanks for getting the ball back. So you're one of Apple Bloom's cousins you said. How many cousins do you have exactly AppleBloom? Like three hundred? Anyway I'm Scootaloo. What's your name?"

Apple Susie tried to hold in her giggle at the comment about her family but just couldn’t do it, “Well yeah I’m probably about cousin 140 by now, by the way my name’s Apple Susie nice ta’ meet ya Scootaloo”. Susie always loved making new friends. She looked back at Apple Bloom to respond to her statement.

Apple Susie slightly blushed with embarrassment, Apple Susie never really found out how to play Hoofball even though she had always wanted to learn. “Ahhh well the thing is AppleBloom….I don’t really know how ta’ play Hoofball to begin with….”. Apple Susie scuffed her right hoof in the dust as a way to distract herself, “But I would like ta’ learn while we play…if’n that’s ok with the rest of you…”. She glanced up at all the fillies and one colt around her and was slightly anxious about what they would think about her now that she just told them that she didn’t know one of the most basic games know to pony kind.

• 3 weeks later...

"Ah'm sorry, Diamond. Ah just wanted ta get yer mind off of makin' fun of Bepop an' such since it ain't a nice thing to be going around makin' fun of ponies. You do a good job of getting under mah pelt, no need ta be such a tick ta everypony else. I can see it worked,"

Diamond had to admit she was surprised by the earnestness of her favorite target. While Bebop and Scootaloo had responded to her barbs with curt responses before turning their attentions elsewhere, Apple Bloom was surprisingly straight forward with how she felt. It was somewhat disarming for Diamond and gave her pause. She didn't regret anything she had said, of course, but she did wonder what the use of it had really been. Was the amusement she had gotten from the act really so great? Well, almost. Bebop had been pretty delightful. That one gave good responses for one who couldn't speak. She had a lot of sass. On the whole though, what really was there for it all? Apple Bloom and her ridiculous friends really were more fun. If Apple Bloom didn't want her off teasing the others, she supposed she could do her best to try. She furrowed her brow and turned her muzzle upward.

"Apology accepted, blank flank," she said haughtily. She then smiled and laughed a little as she stepped toward the other filly. "I'm sorry too. I didn't know I'd make you so jealous if I had my fun with somepony other than you and your friends."

"If you want me to spare it all for you, I'm sure I can try my best to oblige," she said with a smirk as she looked Apple Bloom in they eye.

"Well well well, what have we here?"

Diamond gave a small huff as her dear friend Silver Spoon came upon the scene. "Where exactly have you been?" she asked with a small laugh.

"The blank flanks are all really bold today. I was afraid for a while they were going to swarm," she added dryly, as if in jest. There was some truth to her words though. One filly against many had little power, even if the one was Diamond and the many were silly blank flanks. With her and Silver together though, they were more of a force to be reckoned with. The two of them could rule over their classmates like they deserved to.

"You kin come an' join us if'n ya wanna, Silver Spoon, but I know if'n I ask ol' crown filly thar, she'd send out that poor ol' butler of hers ta play in her place. Poor ol' stallion would have a heart attack tryin' ta stop mah super wild swingin back kick! Well anyway, have fun bein' annoyin' all by yurself, Diamond Tiara!"

Apparently, Apple Bloom wasn't the only blank flank that still had something to say. Diamond frowned deeply at Haywire's words. She glared at the pony contemptuously. She wasn't going to let go with the butler thing was she? Randolph was talented, willing and loved to entertain. Moreover he was well paid. What did this ignorant hayseed know of anything? It made her boil over hearing her blather on about it like Diamond was some sort of incapable imbecile. She didn't like exerting herself. She loathed it, but that didn't mean she was some fragile little flower. If this pony thought she could stand there and speak this way about Diamond, Diamond was ready to do anything to shut her up.

"You really have a lot of nerve talking that way to my face, blank flank!" she started bitterly, getting up close to Haywire. "You don't think I can do anything without my hired help? I suppose thoughts like that might give you comfort about your own upbringing. Whatever. It's all nonsense. I can stand on my own four hooves, and though I loathe too, I will play your silly sport if I must to shut you up!"

Diamond tried to sound especially articulate in contrast to Haywire as she steeled herself. She only vaguely knew the rules of hoofball and she was not especially physically fit, however, if this was how they were going to talk to her, she was determined to at least prove to them all that she could compete.

Apple Bloom couldn't help but facehoof at everypony not getting the hint or message she had been giving out like candy. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were made to make ponies suffer one way or another, creatures with redeeming qualities being that Diamond was pretty and Silver was occassionally not so cruel. But that was where the train line ended and the horror began. Playing with them was inviting panic and disorder. Eventually a fight would break out and somepony would get kicked out because they couldn't outwit her. So she had tried to take Diamond Tiara away from them and deal with the terrible two herself- or at least with Scootaloo's help. They'd banter back and forth and eventually Diamond would get her fill like an overbloated tick and Silver would feast on the corpses like the vulture she was. Everything would be just fine. But now Tiara wanted in and she was getting offered by Haywire who couldn't help but push for no real reason. Apple Bloom liked her just fine but uggh, hard to play the game when everything was unbalanced!

"Okay, okay everypony. We should play the game then! We'll play hide an' seel after school, Light. Silver Spoon, Diamond Tiara, an'...Susie, y'all be one one team. Scootaloo, Bepop, an' Haywire, y'all be the other. Ah'll be tha ref. Tha game is simple enough ta play so we'll be able to play pretty easy," she said, physically separating Diamond from the rest and putting her on one side of the playground's open area. For all of her strengths, strength was not Tiara's strength and Abby moved her like a feather. She then leaned in and whispered, "and Ah wasn't jealous. Your insults are gettin' boring now an' Ah can take it," she pulled back, "time ta have some fun!" she trotted onto the jungle gym, giving her a vantage point. The teams were strategically made- Susie was on Diamond's team so she wouldn't be the target of any of Diamond's jabs during the game. She also liked to win, so Abby doubted Susie was in line for any problems. On the other side, Scootaloo, Haywire, and Bepop could help the others learn how to play...and Diamond would be a quick learner if she wanted to win.

"Alright, since we don't have enough players for a full team we won't have a full team with positions or nothin'. You can kick the ball or you can hold with yer hooves, but only for a few seconds. You can play rough but Ah'll call it close- don't go around hitting ponies for tha sake of it. Scootaloo Team, y'all are tryin' ta get tha ball into Tiara's side with the two tire wings, through the holes. Tiara, yer team is tryin' ta get tha ball into the exit of the slide on Scootaloo's side. Now put tha ball in the middle and everypony step back. Ah'll count down from from five...okay...ready? Five...four...three...two...one...GO!"

"Great! I'm ready ta play!" Haywire neighed as she walked up to Diamond Tiara. "Gotta admit, ya got a lotta guts wantin' ta play hoofball with us. We'll try ta not rough ya up so much. See ya out on the field!"

Soon, the blank flank blonde filly joined Scootaloo and Bebop at the starting line.

"We kin take'm! We got the best hoofballer in school with good ol' Scootaloo on our side! Right Bebop? Let's do this!" Haywire shouted as AppleBloom began the countdown. As the count ended, Haywire darted off after the ball in the open field. Though the rust colored filly was quite speedy (all those years of running away from adults trying to catch her after she did mischief), she was not as fast as Scootaloo. Galloping at top speed, she now waited to see where her winged teammate was going to kick the ball.

Guiding Light let out an audible groan when he heard which team he would be on. For one thing he'd be playing now against Scootaloo who was way more athletic that Guiding ever imagined he could be and that his new friend Bebop was now playing against him! But the worst this was not who he was playing against but who he was playing with. He knew little about Apple Susie so she wasn't the issue. It was Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon that were. When they how bad he was at sports he'd be the target of their jeering for a long time. Well there was no used fighting it, hoping that this was a good idea.

"Alright so, let's get ready then. I'll try to get it to you three as much as i can."

Meanwhile down the other side of the field Scootaloo couldn't help but grin at the way the teams were set up. She knew that Haywire was a bundle of energy, and Bebop looked eager to play as well. Even though the other team had four members to their three, the orange Pegasus knew that they were not likely to win the prize of most athletic team.

"You got it Haywire," she said as the red filly pumped up the team, "Just keep charging forward and when you see that ball get in the other team's hooves you try to get it away from them as quickly as possible."

Scootaloo stood focused on the ball in the middle of the makeshift field, letting everything else fade away. it was just her and the target, and noting would come in between those two.

"Everypony charge!' she said as she galloped off to the center of the field, kicking the ball towards the side hoping that one of her team-mates would be there to intercept.

Archived