Dragon Age: Pony Origins (Private)

Cainiam

Clover let a little smile creep onto her muzzle and she averted her gaze shyly after Sky kissed her nose back. When prompted fer her name a look of surprise realization came over her features. " Oh! That's right, I never gave my name to you. I'm Clover, Clover Mist. And you're Sky, right? I overheard someone say your name earlier I think. "

She then heard a laugh and the voice of the stallion who'd nearly turned her in to the templars spoke up. Clover frowned at his words and blushed hotly at his offer. Taken by a stroke of impetuousness, she rounded on him and poked him in the chest angrily. " How can you be so insufferable! You nearly just ended my life, and now you want to give me lessons on...o-on kissing?!? Why you...you...GUH! "

Throwing up her hooves, she spun on the spot and grabbed Sky by the cheeks, then hastily kissed her on the lips. Holding herself there for about five seconds, she pulled away and let go of the mare, then turned her nose up at Cold. " And I don't need lessons on how to kiss a mare, thank you very much! " She said, her voice bristling with indignation.

She suddenly realized what she'd done and her eyes went wide, her pupils shrinking to pinpricks. Rounding on Sky, she worriedly looked at her and began stammering nervously. " I, uhh, sorry, that was, umm, you see I, ahh...w-was that ok? " She worried at her lower lip in nervousness awaiting a response.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold smiles at the display, "There we go lass, step up to the challenge and all that wot?" He patted the side of her stomach as the three of them walked, "I assure you I mean no harm to you personally madam, I merely take my job very seriously, I have to you see, because the rest of the army is dead, it's just me and what few scattered souls managed to crawl away from the carnage of Ostagar, I have no issue with mages, so long as you're no danger to the common folk, we've no issue." He smiled and then faced forwards again humming 'Whiskey In The Jar' as they trotted along. It occurred to him that what he had just said sounded a bit depressing, after all who wanted to hear 'good day ma'am, did you know all of my friends were just ripped apart by monsters? Some of which used dark magic which makes me quite uncomfortable? Pip pip cheerio!' Cold decided the best course of action was to ignore the issue and hum his tune with as much spirit as he could muster.

Broken Stammered and sputtered as Clover Broke the kiss on her lips. "*Squeak* I..*Squeak* Gah...Uh...*Squeak*" She mustered before her face burned the hottest that day. She looked at Clover with her dialated eyes and Blush as bright as a Apple. Clover kissed her on the lips!! The Lips! This threw the mare into a Stuper and she stumbled along Gathering herself. However she didnt hear Cold as he spoke. She was caught in a trance stareing at the ground as she moved along.

" I umm...oh dear...uhh, I wasn't supposed to do that was I? Oh no...I'm sorry! Please don't hate me..." She intentionally ignored Cold, preferring to try and mend whatever wrong she'd committed against Sky. She'd figured that since Sky hadn't reacted negatively to the first kiss, that a second one wouldn't have been such a big deal. Then again, she'd been upset by Cold and had acted foolishly, not giving forethought to her actions before committing them. It also dawned on her that that had been her first real kiss, which caused her to stammer even worse and swallow audibly, as well as begin to feel the swelling of her third leg beneath her clothes, causing her to squeeze her hind legs together tightly as she walked in an attempt to hide her shame.

NPC Post: Sergeant Pike

Pike wasn't sure if his superiors would approve of hiring an assassin, but she claimed that it wasn't for profit, but out a sense of duty. Besides, when she leaned forwards to whisper in his ear, he got goosebumps. She stepped back, and looked over the ponies he had gathered, forcing Pike to acknowledge them once more too. Quite a few had been looking his way during that display, and he suddenly felt awkward about the whole exchange. He cleared his throat loudly. "Attention everyone. This is my new second-in-command. She's experienced in the ways of the ambush. Listen to her, and if she asks for something you do it, okay? We are trying to take down Wardens remember, and they're notorious for their fighting skills," Pike said to the ensemble.

The enticing mare was suddenly at his side again, and he turned to give her his full attention. "Take however many you need to get the job done. The plan was to hit them from left and right at the same time, but you're right of course, we can't have them retreat back," he said soundly, but then his voice softened once more as he added, "Anything you need, you may have." Once of his men coughed loudly and he was acutely aware they were all still standing there. "What are you layabouts waiting for! You know the plan! Get on it!" he barked hotly. He'd told them all the plan already, the mare could take who she needed, while the rest would get into position and wait for the signal.

Midnight had the biggest grin on her face as the pony decreed her the second-in-command. Bowing her head, she looked for the ponies to work on the ambush team, and quickly spotted them. One with a huge shield, an archer and one wielding a large blade.

Walking up to them, she smiled cruely, making sure to hide her fangs.

"You three, come with me, now. You will set up behind the Wardens, a minute after the fight breaks out, i want you to start firing your arrows. You two will keep him safe, keep the Wardens off him and keep the bombardment alive while we attack from the front..Now go!"

The three stallions walked off, maybe not happy, but she knew they'd be needed if they had any hope to win that battle.

Returning to Pike, smiling at him "We're in position, commander. The ambush troops are ready, i say all we'll need now are some Grey Wardens.."

Grym sighed, the group she had gathered was taking much to long to get prepared for tastes. It was to be expected though, what with them being the very definition of a 'rag-tag' group. She had nothing to do other than let her mind wander while she waited for the others. Leaning against a fence, the mare's eyes slowly drifted shut.

Rain... The sky poured like a noblepony's overfilled goblet, hammering away at the filly's body. The icy deluge ruined both her coat and her heart as it chilled both her skin and heart equally. Her heart drummed in her ears as her mind struggled to piece together the face of her attackers? The blood of ponies she couldn't even identify slid off of her fur, staining the dirt beneath her. Shouts drowned out by thunder caused the little pony's eyes to widen. Both sounds may as well have been one in the same (they were in her), seeing as the lightning brought the thunder, and only under the flash of lightning could she catch glimpses of the would be murders. Thunder was the only thing keeping her sane when the only other alternative was to listen the clatter of armored hooves as the came to extinguish her life.

She screwed her eyes shut and curled into a ball; the steel long sword strapped to her back of no use to her. Her tears mingled with raindrops such to the point that she couldn't separate her sadness from that of the worlds. She hated everything... right now her father was out there, fighting for her right to live freely while she cowered out of sight in a muddy alley...

"Over here! I found the little maleficar!"--

The sound of approaching hoofsteps caused her to jerk away. Grym cursed herself for falling asleep out in the open. Templars were everywhere, the wardens were wanted, and darkspawn could flood the town at any moment. What was she thinking? Raising to all fours, she winced and nearly buckled, but quickly caught herself. Her injured body was annoying her, she just wanted to give it all up for something better, something tougher. A pinch in the back of her mind broke her from that line of logic... those were dangerous thoughts. She gave the party a stern look, one screaming "don't touch me". Her magenta eyes scanned everyone as she limped about until the aches subsided. Everyone was present and accounted for, including the diamond dog and the obnoxious mare. When asked if they were ready, she received a chorus of nods. The go ahead had been given, so Grym wasted no time beating hooves to the road.

Out of habit, she watched all of her sectors diligently. She'd noticed the shift in tone on this section of road. The path was silent and mostly unoccupied, save for the occasional insect. That was a problem for the mare. It was too quiet. where was the chatter of the critters in the tall grasses? Weren't soldiers still trying to move from Ponyville? What of the refugees? Why hadn't anyone come up behind them?

Up ahead was a pony lounging on an old looking log. Everything was clear forward, while the area to the left remained as it had been, tall grassed fields. On her right, she observed a copse of trees. She to a moment to examine the stallion. He was decked out heavy; his shield baring the symbol of the West Hills Bannorn. Instead of focusing on him, she turned her attention to the path as they prepared to pass the resting soldier.

Pike lounged back on the log he was using as a bench. The damp wood wads a little bit slick, but it easily held the weight of the armour clad warrior. The clip clopping sound of hooves on the hardened earth came to his ears, and he lowered his gaze from the sky he'd been staring at for the last five minutes. Travellers on the road. He caught sight of them and narrowed his eyes as tried to get a good look. He'd heard from a pony that had been in Ponyville that there were two wardens sighted, but the group he sighted was much larger. There was no mistaking the description of the mare at the front however. Tall, but with a slender and muscular build. A mare with a horn atop her head and fire in her eyes who really liked big swords. The description really was spot on. He noticed her gaze turn to him for a moment, then rule him out as if he were no better than scenery. He strapped his shield firmly onto his hoof as they approached.

When they seemed about to pass him he rose to his hooves, and cricked his neck. "Ho! Travellers!" he said with a fake joviality fed by excitement. "What takes you out of Ponyville? Heading north? Maybe for Canterlot?" he said as he blocked their path by strolling into the middle of the path. He left a second for whatever answers they could muster as he tried to spot his hidden men out of the corners of his eyes. A tiny movement to the left reassured him all was good. "That's where I'd head if I was off to try and kill the regent. After all, he's the only one who was wise to your tricky ways," Pike said, his voice taking on a much darker tone. "You see, it was by his good graces that I still stand here, Warden," he finished directly addressing Grymrose. He backed up a little as he pulled the pike from his back with his muzzle and slotted it into a gap he formed between his foreleg and his chest. "Now listen, I have no quarrel with those of you are not Wardens. Feel free to walk away right now, but you, and you," he said pointing at Grymrose then Broken with his pike, "You two are staying right here for a little chat."

The pike in her face did not amuse her one bit. The fact that this pony had been sent to kill her and Sky, while expected, was more telling than anything. She hadn't expected such actions to be take so quickly, but it warmed her heart. The Teyrn was scared, so scared, that he couldn't even let his own dirty schemes play through before deploying his plan B's. She'd figured something was up, but she had no idea what. Archers in the trees? Net launchers in the field? Perhaps a flying carriage full of templars would soon reveal themselves? Whatever his game was Grym didn't have time for it.

She chuckled diabolically. "A little chat? What's there to chat about? You've stated your allegiance, leveled a weapon at me and my fellow warden, then demanded our compliance. I will not be cowed; I am no lamb to be led to slaughter. How this ends is up to you. I'll give you one chance: Leave. If not, I really hope what you were offered is worth you life." Her face never changed from it static expression.

Cold growled at the cowardly display, assassins already? He was so frightened of these wardens knowing the truth that he was willing to sink low enough to send a hot squad?! Cold pulled his greatsword from his back, letting it rest upon his shoulder, "By associating with Loghain you have allied yourself with a kingslayer, and now you dare threaten an order as honorable as the wardens to hide your masters blame?! Boy your mother will weep when she sees what I've done to you! I hope you can die honorably, because maker knows you obviously haven't lived so! Turn away now, choose to live, and sweet maker choose to live better than this." He growled at the stallion before them, this was an insult, that Loghain had betrayed their king was heinous enough, but that he would dare blame the grey wardens for his crime meant he truly had no honor left.

Midnight saw the flies walk into the web, and their leader challenging Pike. While admirable, to her, he was already looking at a pile of corpses.

That's all bandits and the such were, ponies on borrower time and it was her job to collect it.

That's when she saw him. Cold! What was he doing with them? Surely he saw what the wardens had done, why would he do something so stupid?!

She walked out over the slight ridge behind Pike, not trying to hide herself, weapons drawn.

"Cold, isn't it obvious they'd claim innocence? Like you said yourself to me, any one would. Sure, I lied to you. I killed that farmer, not intentionally, but I lied to survive. Now look at your wardens. The only difference is I killed a single farmer, they doomed Equestria to a blight! You saved my life, only to end up my enemy... You leave me no choice then, since you ally yourself with traitors, bandits. I'm forces to stand against you. I don't wanna fight you Cold, but if you want to ally yourself with traitors..."

She kind of hoped he would listen to her, see his error. He was at Ostargar, how could he be so ignorant as to believe everything he was told?

Cold's eyes went wide at Midnight's sudden appearance, why was she with these assassins? Had she been paid by Loghain's men to assist in this ambush? Her words angered him, but only briefly, for somepony not at the battle it was easy to see to believe Loghain's lies, but he'd told her who she was, and surely she would listen to reason. He approached a bit closer to her, "Midnight, most of the wardens died fighting bravely on the battlefield just as many of my soldiers did, but they were also charged with lighting the beacon at the too of the tower of Ishal, the beacon was lit, even while fighting I could see that, we held the line for minutes after it was lit before I was knocked unconscious...Loghain never marched in, don't you see? He could have charged in to aid us, we would have won! The wardens did as they were asked, but Loghain retreated, he retreated Midnight."

Just as she thought, some mare jumped up from the fields, weapons drawn and advanced on them. Apparently she and Cold knew each, but whatever their relationship was it was of no concern to Grym. At the moment, she was another enemy pointing a blade at her... And she was tired of it.

A magenta aura surrounded her horn and blades, pulling them out of their sheathe's and pointing them at Pike and Midnight."As you can see, he was at Ostagar, he saw what happened with his own eyes and chose to follow us of his own accord. Only the ignorant plebeians the with no knowledge of what really occured would believe the wardens betrayal of the king. You claim him deceived, yet you look the fool now."

Pike would never expect a Warden to beg for mercy, he expected them to fight to the bitter end, and the unicorn wasn't one to disappoint. He did not anticipate one of her companions stepping forwards however, and to speak in her favour. He wouldn't have lent it any thought if not for the fact this companions was clearly a soldier in the king's army. He must have seen action at Ostagar. Yet here we was throwing his lot in with the traitors. That made him a traitor too. "You must think me a fool, traitor. Teryn Loghain put the Therein line back on the throne. He liberated us all from the Orlesians. He's a goddam war hero!" Pike barked at the officer.

His new second-in-command then stepped forward and spoke as if she knew the pony, in fact, as if they were friends. When Cold stepped forward to reason with Midnight, Pike lowered his pike to stop him from touching his mare. "She knows the truth. She knows that Loghain pulled us out of the trap the Wardens set. It seems they must have had traitors in the King's guard as well. They promise you an arling, traitor?" Pike said venomously. He saw the unicorn draw her weapons and he returned the pike to pointing at her as he raised his shield. "We drove you treacherous wardens out once, and it was Maric who vouched for your order, and this was how you repay his only son?" Pike spat. "I'll believe a true hero of Equestria over a foreign order of traitors any day of the week! Say what you will, it changes nothing. This is a final warning to your companions, depart now before it gets ugly!"

"Say whatever you wish, there is no evidence saying one or the other, so we can believe what we want. I believe what Pile tells me, you believe what the wardens say. In the end of the day, history is written by the victory, only one of these truths will be written"

She looked at Pike, shaking her head.

"Doesn't look like they'll be leaving commander. I think that this requires some force. We tried words, and they have responses with violence"

She looked at Cold, almost upset.

"I'm sorry it's come to this Cold, but only one truth will exist. I side with the truth that will win, nothing more"

Gossan was glad they were moving again, soon they would reach that big long road the ponies called the Highway. He cast a cursory glance at the soldier he saw at the side of the road. Just another survivor from Ostagar. As they approached however he stood up and blocked their path, earning a glare from the dog. Their mission was important. They didn't have time to mess around. The pony was too well armed and armoured to just be a traveller. Then he announced his intentions. He knew the Wardens had been branded traitors. He also didn't care if they killed the Equestrian King. They had a blight to stop. That was much bigger than a single dead pony. The ponies bickered backwards and forwards about blame, but Gossan didn't care. "I'm with you," he growled to Grymrose as he lifted a throwing axe in each paw, starting to focus his rage in preparation for the upcoming fight.

“Whoa! Now hold on there sir, I think there’s been a slight misunderstanding here.” Tune called out from the back of the group, slowly easing his way forward until he was standing at the front, glancing between the stallion holding the pike, and the mare with the bat wings, his friendly smile fading for a moment, and replaced with a look of fear, giving him the impression of a stallion of a much younger age.

Tune wasn’t stupid, not by a longshot. Things that knights spoke about; honor, duty, bravery, all meant nothing when you were face down on a dirt road with the last drops of blood oozing from the edges of your armor. One could argue that these were his traveling companions and he should stick with them. But this was a profession assassination attempt, and the group seemed unperturbed. If he knew anything, if there was one, and they fought it off, which their ability to do so was questionable to begin with, there would be another, and another, and another. If he could get an out from having one more person who wanted his head on a plate, he would take it, without question.

“We’re not all Wardens here, some of us are merely travellers who want to leave this place before the darkspawn come. This isn’t my fight, so I’ll gladly take up your offer, if it’s still available, no need to throw one’s life away needlessly.” He slowly inched around the two figures, glancing up the path behind them, to freedom. “Come along Gossan, we have somewhere to…” He turned back and made a face as he saw the diamond dog preparing for combat himself, the pegasus lightly flapping his wings in annoyance, but kept his neutral tone. “Ah… well I suppose I’m off alone then… good luck, I suppose. May you all… well…” He paused for a moment, before shaking his head and galloping up the road, away from the cluster of ponies.

Midnight raised the crossbow on her foreleg, firing an arrow in front of the pony fleeing the wardens, shaking her head.

"Don't, even try it. Claim what you wish, you are assisting the Grey Wardens, assisting traitors and bandits, criminals... That means by default, you side with them. Meaning that you will fight, and die, with them as well"

Reloading her weapon, she sighed.

"I don't care what Pike said, the fact of the matter is you will die with them. Now, you can either try outrun me...good luck with that..or you can stand, fight and die pathetically with your Wardens. Normally i'd feel sympathy for bandits fleeing the sinking ship, but not today"

Sighing again, she tightened her grip on her blades. "You know, i gotta ask before you die. Why? Why follow Wardens against the world? Their history will never be known, forgotten in favor of this one"

Broken had kept silent as they shuffled along. Her cheeks blazed brightly under her white coat at the fact that Clover had kissed her. That mare was something else, She had way different morales than she had first shown. This stuper continued as she moved by the back of the group near the lute player.

She squeaked when they came across a pony on a log. He had spoke to them but then drew his pike. Broken automatically felt her blood run cold at the fear of a fight. Her legs began to quiver and she bit her lip. He was here for her and Grym! He had seemingly saw her at the back of the group and soloed her out as well as her companion. She didnt want any of this at all, she began to step back slowly as he continued to chat with Grym and the others. The situation was getting heated and she would have no part in making things possably worse.

Her eyes darted around as she pulled her hood up as well as her facemask. "Gotta get away to a safer spot! Places to teleport too..... Places to hide!" her mind squealed. She backed up slowly evermore, there were only two right now and she knew that her group could take care of them. She would cast healing spells on those who got wounded.

She was now 10 feet away from the group as she stealthfully scooched away, her breath coming in at stifled gasps of fear. "He hasnt seen me....I hope...." she thought. "I can hide! Cast magic from the safety of my hiding spot! Oh Maker dont make me fight!!" she begged in her skull. 12 feet now, She didnt see those behind her however. Watching her from their spots. She had made herself vulnterable and she didnt even know it.

Cold shook his head in disappointment, "I don't often have the displeasure of admitting I'm wrong, it is a bitter thing, your second chance was wasted Midnight, you've refused to think logically, and now you've thrown your lot in with murderous cowards. Oh well, I've killed many a bandit before, I was just hoping you weren't the same...so be it." The stallion now fully had his massive sword held in his mouth now, he truly was disappointed that giving her a second chance had turned out this way, he's hoped she's go on to do something good, now she was willing to die merely because she wouldn't stop thinking like an assassin.

Midnight looked at Cold, shaking her head.

"The disappointment is mine, you saved my life once, only to have me take your own. But enough sentiments, you side with criminals, you pay the price. Nothing personal of course, and be under almost any other circumstances, i'd let you go. But i can't. You side with traitors, murders, bandits. Your logic might be to side with them, mine says to believe what Pike tells me. And besides, with a blade like that, you wouldn't be able to hit me anyway..."

She didn't want to kill Cold, he'd given her life. But his threat to take her own life, along with what Pike had told her, make is clear that they were enemies. Her mission dictated she kill them, her personal preferences were irrelevant..or should be at least. Saving her life..

Midnight shook her head, she couldn't let her personal feeling get involved! This was duty, her duty, right? She looked at Pike, back at Cold, then to the ground. Both of them believed their causes were right, both saw the other as traitors, yet only one could be right..No! No wasn't the time to question herself, she'd picked a side and would follow it for now, if it turned out she was wrong, she'd kill whoever lied to her and start anew.

Aselia stayed quiet while the others talked, she mostly stayed with Gossan, the diamond dog, as she felt more comfortable with him than the others at this point, though she was starting to take a liking to Grymrose, and the two cute little mares were also interesting. She didn't know that there were that many other ponies that shared her...ahem...interests. That aside, now there seemed to be a little problem going on. This guard, whomever he may be, Aselia was trying to calculate other problems. Though now this...whatever he was, was wanting to kill Grym

"Don't worry, Warden, we can take this guy." Aselia said in a humored voice. "S'long as one of you has my back, I'll just tear him to shreds."

Clover didn't know what to say as Sky slowed her pace to hang back, but figured she should give the mare some space anyway. She was mentally berating herself for her actions when they all came upon the stallion on the log. When he made his intentions clear, she began to try and cast a spell as she had before, silently and without notice, but as things escalated and that mare came out of hiding, she realized she wouldn't have the time, and would need the mana for later.

Instead, she tried to calm herself, and began looking around for where she knew the rest of the stallion's and mare's men must be hiding. She'd read far too many books to not recognize an ambush when she saw one. However, as she was listening to the words spoken by her companions and their aggressors, she started putting things together. She'd heard about the disaster at Ostagar, sure, but hadn't really put it together. The two mages were wardens, and these ponies wanted them dead.

She looked at Grym, then looked around for Sky but couldn't see her. This worried her slightly, but she shrugged it off assuming a Warden would know what she was doing. It just didn't make sense to her, because for all she'd ever known or read about the Grey Wardens, they wouldn't have run nor betrayed the king, no matter what the odds against them. Which coincidentally caused her to admire Grym's body and begin to imagine her fighting against the darkspawn, which lead to her imagining what other strenuous activities she'd be good at, causing Clover's cheeks to grow red.

Shaking her head to rid herself of her fantasies, something the mare aggressor said finally registered with her mind. History is written by the victors. It was so simple, and so true. Her mind began to race, trying to think of something clever and brave to say in the face of such danger, for she knew that at the very least, Sky would support her should her escape from the templars come up, but very few others would. If these Wardens were killed, she would share their fate. if she gave up, she might be able to- her thought was cut off as the the pony who'd stated his wish to leave was cut off by the mare, who Clover now decided was a total b!tch. This of course made fleeing, had she wanted to do such a thing, not longer an option.

Clover growled and shouted at the mare. ​" You say that you are sorry, but if that were true, you would not be helping such scum to kill heroes, for that is the only thing these Wardens can possibly be. You were not at Ostagar, they were. You would take the words of a man who left the field of battle, over those that fought in it? As I understand it, Darkspawn are are the greatest threat to this world it has ever known, and Grey Wardens have stopped them each time they have reared their ugly heads! "

Her horn began to glow the color of ice beneath her hood as it undid the binding on her bow and belongings. " You say History is written by the victors, but there were no victors at Ostagar, only survivors, and Darkspawn. So who would write the history of that battle? For Darkspawn do not keep history, only destroy it. Which leaves me more inclined to believe the words of those who willingly give up their life to stop the Darkspwan, than that of a stallion who left and didn't try to fight at all. "

The cloth slid from her bow via magic, loose enough to be tossed aside at any moment, " History is written by the victors? Then I choose to write it with the wardens, for If i choose to fight against them, I am already dead. And I know that by siding with them i will be writing history, not dooming it to destruction. So I believe it is you who should give up, all of you! Because I do not believe that you will win this day, and it will be your history that never gets written, for we will not write it when WE ARE THE VICTORS! " She let the cloth slide from her bow and drop upon the ground with her belongings as she tossed back her head, knocking back the hood concealing her features and horn with its ice blue glow around it. She held her bow in her magical aura and glared defiantly at the mare, having made her decision and intending to stick with it.

Pike was glad at least one pony had the intelligence to take his offer. He nodded his head and said, "Go ahead. Get out of here." The mare beside him however seemed not to agree. She fired a crossbow bolt in his path in an attempt to stop him. "What are you doing?!" Pike shouted as he turned to face here. "You said so yourself these Wardens are manipulative. You think they all want to be here? I bet half these ponies didn't even know they were Wardens," Pike said with a shake of his head. "Be reasonable. The Teryn is only calling for the heads of Wardens. Anypony else is unnecessary bloodshed, and we do not commit unnecessary bloodshed. You're with me now, we're soldiers," he continued at Midnight before taking a deep breath and shaking his head.

He looked back to the pegasus and nodded at him. "Clear out of here if you still wish it. She will hold her bow, you have my word," Pike said sharply. The rest of the group were still proving stubborn. The boulder of muscle that was the diamond dog threw his lot in with the wardens as he drew his axes. Then the rather dainty looking mage added her voice with a surprising undertone of savagery. All were accounted for except the mare in the rags.

Then she stepped forwards, and voiced her convictions which the others had considered wasted breath. She spoke of heroism, doom, and victory. Her voice was strong, her will unshakeable. Pike actually lowered his weapon for a moment, wrapped up in her inspirational speech. She put countless officers to shame, even Arls would wish for something so poignant and powerful. Pike actually felt the cold grip of doubt for the first time. These were the Wardens of yore... and all these darkspawn... what if they were their only hope? They might have betrayed them at Ostagar, like the Teryn said, but it was said only a Grey Warden could slay an archdemon. Would their deaths doom Equestria? Was he about to doom his home? They may have killed a king, but he may kill a nation with this act.

There was a sudden cry of "Warden running for it!" from a tree to the left as one of them spotted Broken trying to move away from the group. Then another voice pitched in with "Bugger it all! Run 'em through!" The sombre silence after the mare's speech gave way to a sudden cacophony of noise as pegasi and earth ponies dove out of trees and dragged themselves out of shrubs and ditches. There was the sound of twenty battle cries echoing out as they charged the path from the left and the right side at the same time, a small group even moving up along the path behind them, completely boxing the party in. The ponies were dressed in a mishmash of different outfits, all sporting different weapons, from a young stallion with knives that probably belonged in a kitchen, right up to a greataxe toted by a Chasind. Four ponies hung back and strung their bows as they looked for opportune shots. They didn't wait for any call from Pike before getting stuck in. Everyone found themselves engaged by at least one attacker itching for the coin they'd get for their blood.

Broken was tackled to the ground by a pegasus in leather armour and a shortsword. He sat on her chest to pin her to the ground while he triumphantly shouted to his mates."I got one! I got a Warden! Was their extra coin for them alive?" he called out, but the others all seemed too busy fighting to answer his questions.

An earth pony peeled off to go for Tune anyway, even though he'd been officially let go by Pike. The rough bandit mare had a sword at his dainty throat before he could escape the scene. "Hey, pretty boy, you seemed awfully quick to try and ditch the party. You trying to scurry away with my presents?" she said with a disapproving click of her tongue.

The remaining ponies headed straight for the main cluster of five: Grym, Gossan, Cold, Clover, and Aselia. With four archers with bows pointed, and fourteen ponies armed and ready, they felt pretty confident about taking the group down. They had them surrounded and outnumbered. Now was the time to strike.

Meanwhile Pike hesitated for a moment, Clover's words still loud in his mind. His clear path was once again made hazy. He looked to Midnight for reassurance. "The Teryn has branded them traitors, but they are Grey Wardens," he said slowly. "You think they deserve a chance?"

Cold had his blade readied as the scoundrels began to surround them, he let out an ear splitting roar as he parried the first oncoming attacker and slammed his left hoof into the stallions face. The dazed thug stumbled a bit allowing Cold to arc his blade into a clean swing into the pony's neck, it didn't go clean through as he expected, but damm close. Cold gave him one last pitying glance as he fell, most of these so called 'assassins' were poorly trained at best, they had numbers on their side, but little else. He set his sights on another pony, this time deciding he would be the one to charge, holding his sword forward as he ran headlong at him, just as he reached him he jumped forward slightly, running the unsuspecting fellow through. The fatally wounded bandit gurgled a bit and tried to swing his sword to little avail in his current state, Cold took pity on him and rammed the sword through him once more, ending his life.

Now that there was a slight break in the line he turned towards Pike, locking eyes with him. Cold Iron grinned around the hilt of his blade, a deep rumble emanating from his chest, then becoming a hum, he began to him an old tune he'd heard from one of his soldiers, an old clan song as he recalled, the name was lost to him, but the deep rumble always reminded him of distant thunder, he kept this tune up as he slowly advanced in Pike, challenging him.

Archived