What did everypony think of Season 4?

Heya Canterlot, how's it goin'? :smirk:

If you remember from my intro thread (which only like 5 people read :razz:), then you know that I said I was planning on watching Season 4 of MLP over the summer. So, I just wanted to know what all of you guys thought about it. Are there any episodes that are AWESOME? :kissy: Any episodes that I should avoid altogether? :green:

Just leave a reply and tell me your thoughts! :)

I thought it was an excellent season. Close in quality to season 2.

I think every episode of MLP is worth seeing at least once, especially since different people often have different favorites.

For me personally though, I would say the episode titled It Ain't Easy Being Breezies might be better skipped. It's my least favorite not just of the season but of the entire series so far. it does kind of tie into a overarching plot for the season however, so you might want to watch it anyway.

The highlights for me were Maud Pie, Pinkie Pride, Rarity Takes Manehattan, Testing Testing 1 2 3, Leap of Faith, and of course the exceptional season finale, Twilight's Kingdom.

As much as I hate to agree with Rarity :P I have to agree that "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" is probably one of the worst in the series, and I'm a Fluttershy fan. But, don't just take our word on it, watch the whole season. A lot of good episodes, a lot of mediocre episodes, and GREAT season finale.

The finale was amazing, the premier was pretty good too, I liked 'for whom the Sweetie belle tolls' as im a sucker for luna and CMC episodes so yeah :P But overall entire season was great and i agree with both of the above, 'it aint easy being breezies' felt abit off to me, just kind of..there

This was indeed a good season. Quite a few episodes made it to my list of favorites, and of course others that didnt quite make the cut. Season finale realy wrapped it up completely. Key episodes really brought the Mane 6 to a whole new level of understanding. Season 5 is really going to be great, I can tell.

i agree with both of the above, 'it aint easy being breezies' felt abit off to me, just kind of..there

When both of the site's Fluttershys dislike a Fluttershy episode, I think that's probably a bad sign :P

It's for a number of reasons really.

• The breezies themselves I found to be obnoxious. Their voices are grating and hearing them all at once is a headache.
  • The breezies are also useless. They can't do anything on their own and several belabored minutes are spent emphasizing how fragile they are.
  • it's a failed opportunity to introduce new and interesting world lore. Not only is this new species we have introduced not worth caring about, they also live in some pocket dimension apart from Equestria, safely out of sight.
  • It has very little plot. The first half is mostly clumsy exposition and useless scenes involving the non Fluttershy mane six that add nothing and aren't funny (the bizarre Rarity sequence, where they roll her out just to show off another strangely hideous fashion to kill half a minute comes to mind). Where a lot of episodes seem rushed, this one is padded out.
  • Has the most painful Spike sequence in a while. Seriously. Doesn't even seem in character and makes you want to slap him.
  • It takes what could have been an opportunity to do something new with Fluttershy's character and just seems to retread ground with her. She needs to be firm sometimes to be kind. Big revelation there. Fluttershy stressing over how to assert herself is like 80 percent of her episodes.
  • Somewhat awkward, forced feeling ending sequence full of breezy transformations that seems tacked on.
  • Most importantly of all though, It's just not funny or entertaining. I can't recall a joke that worked. It was slow to start, and once it did start not much of interest happened.

To it's credit, I don't think the head Breezy Fluttershy has to deal with, Seabreeze, is an entirely awful character since they provided him a reasonable motivation for his behavior (even if we're ignorant to it until the end), and I really love the presence of Flitter, one of my favorite background ponies, in a small speaking role. In most regards though, it's just not a good episode for me.

Opinions will vary though. I know some people liked it fine. Despite it all, I would still encourage those who haven't seen it to give it a watch.

I agree with Rarity, the breezie ep kinda sucked though like they all have been saying, if you dont watch it you miss out on a key ep. I recommend watching the whole season at least once then if you go back through, skip the bullsh1t eps that you hated last time(Sorry for swearing)

Without giving it any immediate new thought thinking thru S4, I can tell you that Simple Ways s by far the most bafflingly stupid episode ever, comparable to the hideous grossout post-movie episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants, in which Rarity becomes an unfunny hick and throws away her personality because she has a crush on a cultured upony that is equally stupidly in love... but with Applejack.

I doubt another eatch-thru will make me appreciate it more. But it took me a while to accept it as an anamoly of a stupid epiaode that will probably hopefully never be repeated again in terms of stupid level.

All of the Key episodes are good enough, please don't skip those.

Power Ponies is not even good fanservice, unjust a disposable costume episode. Too bad for Spike.

Aside from Power Ponies, Simple Ways, Filli Vanilli, and Somepony to Watch Over Me, Season 4 is a significant storytelling and plot, and action and animation, and art and musical step up from the previous season. This show has still got it, and I cannot name eight episodes that are duds, so not even percent of the show consists of duds, if you count the two-parters as individual stories, with a current total of 85 episodes.

It has its ups and downs when it comes to some episodes, but the animation is still stellar to look at. It all comes down to what episodes you liked, disliked, and what episodes had wasted potential. You should check out the episodes that focus on the keys, but there are some episodes that you might not like.

I didn't like Power Ponies, Somepony To Watch Over Me, Rainbow Falls, and the list goes on. Overall, I liked Season 4.

As I had mentioned in my own post on season 4. Over all it was pretty good. There where interesting things everywhere also they left a lot open ends in something's. Some I would love to see closed up but I don't know how it will play out. Now the finally was epic and it had something I hope I didn't only pick up on, did the cucumber sandwich thing between Fluttershy and Discord make anypony think of Prof. Pickle from the Sonic Unleashed game?

Season 4 was great! The animation was breathtaking, my favorite song came out of this season (Apples to the Core), and there was plenty of character development. It had its flaws, one being that it left a lot of open ends, but hopefully they will clear up that kind of stuff in Season 5 :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I loved Season 4. Since Princess Twilight turned into an Alicorn, I've really been wanting to see more of how she would adapt with her new wings. I couldn't get over how dorky she was while trying to fly in Episode 1. She had a decent amount of screen time, with a handful of focused episodes, but I wish she would have had a few more songs. The finale of Season 4 is one of the show's finest episodes, in my personal opinion.

It's actually my favorite season of the show (well maybe tied with season 2 but it's close). I actually liked some of the critisized ones, like Filli Vanilli and It Ain't Easy Being Breezies. Simple Ways was very meh, and Power Ponies was my least favorite episode in the show, but overall it's a very, very good season.

Archived