Bronies using MLP via Patrion to gain money?

I for one am starting to notice that a LOT of the youtube bronies I follow (VoiceOfReason AnYpony, Tony Oliver) are starting to ask for support for making their videos, which are often reviews/analysts of the show...and I sort of find this iffy, you are asking for support to make money off of someone elses property and I am not so sure I can really support that...

Granted there are many Patrion things that I do support funding, online comic strips for one so the owner can make some money, Studios that make animations (The Cracked comes to mind but they make animations with other peoples work too)

So tell me what are your thoughts on the uprising trend for brony analyzers to as for Patrion support?

Many people use Patreon to support their work; it is not just restricted to the pony fandom.. I am subscribed to several youtubers who do video game reviews, let's plays, and competitive match recordings who use Patreon.

They make their content unique through their production and presentation, even if their medium is someone else's IP. In my opinion, it's a fine trend and a great way to support independent content creators.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Many people use Patreon to support their work; it is not just restricted to the pony fandom.. I am subscribed to several youtubers who do video game reviews, let's plays, and competitive match recordings who use Patreon.

They make their content unique through their production and presentation, even if their medium is someone else's IP. In my opinion, it's a fine trend and a great way to support independent content creators.

I can see that and I am all for independent creators getting their work funded/ getting payed for what they love.

(I could go without 50+ videos about it in my subscription feed though)

I remember two different posts on Tumblr regarding this. One was Tommy Oliver saying that he really was in a financial mess and although he wasnt trying to beg for money, he could use the help. The other was Digibrony specifically saying that he rather make money off of his videos rather than get a job, despite not being in a financial struggle. So I guess it really depends on the motive. The only brony reviewers/analyzers I support on Patreon are Drowning in Horseshoes and TBBBAP.

I remember two different posts on Tumblr regarding this. One was Tommy Oliver saying that he really was in a financial mess and although he wasnt trying to beg for money, he could use the help. The other was Digibrony specifically saying that he rather make money off of his videos rather than get a job, despite not being in a financial struggle. So I guess it really depends on the motive. The only brony reviewers/analyzers I support on Patreon are Drowning in Horseshoes and TBBBAP.

Lol Digibrony, just when I thought that guy couldn't get any MORE unlikable he shows that he can.

Content creation takes effort, whatever it is (if you want good content at least). If a content creator feels like they're not getting enough back from what they put into something and feel the need to set up a means to get extra support, I'm perfectly fine with that. And as a consumer of content, I think it depends entirely on whether the content is important to you as to whether you should put money towards it. It will always be your choice, so if it isn't important enough to you or it doesn't feel like the creator deserves your money, then you can just ignore it when they ask and leave it for people who think otherwise.

Personally, if I had a little more money to spare I'd probably do the Patreon thing for Sherclop Pones, as their content is special to me and no one else produces anything like it.

I enjoy Digibrony's stuff, but not as a person in the least. I enjoy Tommy and all the other big name reviewers (AnY, Voice of Reason, etc) as well, but not enough to give them money. I support Drowning in Horseshoes and TBBBAP because they're good at what they do, don't get near enough exposure, and are likable guys (to me at least, their personalities and my own are extremely similar).

Pretty much what I have been seeing. I know in the atheist community (which I am part of), also had this trend recently among the "Internet advocate" set who popularity. It's exploded in furry among artists (I have toyed with the idea, I admit), so I am not surprised the pony fandom has taken up the general trend.

Archived