Through a Glass darkly... (Investigators Wanted!)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually I'm more perceptive about clues. Guess I was trying to multitask quelling the crowd and the Changeling issue while solving the mystery.

It's alright; it wasn't absolutely essential that you find it, but it would have given a significant amount of progress in figuring out Glass' plan.

Just remember going forward, that the Conservation of Detail trope applies. If I emphasize a seemingly unimportant detail in at least two posts, it's either a clue or deliberate red herring.

• 2 weeks later...

I think 'evil' is a vague enough term that there's probably a lot of ways around that. I'm not saying it's not worth trying, just that it failing to pick up something doesn't mean there's nothing there.

Also, maybe I'm just slow on the draw and this is obvious, but if Glass set up this room for us then we're probably about to see his next show, and it's performed for an audience of four.

Sort of. He's not present, but I'm going to give you some clues in my next post about what his whole deal is. Whether or not they will make sense at this point, I can't promise.

The more the merrier I say. Might be interesting to have her try and catch up with all the insanity of surprise changelings, evil Illusionists, and general madness.

Before I post I need some clarification.

By 'missing chapter' - does it mean that it's torn, cut or at least there is sudden jump in numbering of pages? I know there isn't listed in table so I ask just in case.

There's no gap in the listed number of pages. The text, however, is set oddly; the leading is so large that there's room for a lot more words if they'd been more efficient in the use of space. You can't see anything in the gaps, looking at the pages directly.

[Note: Do feel free to ask clarification questions in this thread! This is as much a player mystery as well as a character one, and it saves me having to list everything. There may be a thing or two I forgot to mention in the posts themselves as well, so do ask.]

It hits me that I should probably double check this, am I correct in assuming that that the lack of the chapter in the book's index means what's referenced is in another book, or has Glass done something very strange to the book we're holding?

That's for you to try and find out.

[Note: I'm still trying to figure out how to give hints/red herrings in proportion as will make things not too easy, but also not too difficult. The more creative you are in asking questions or applying logic, even Adventure Game Logic, the more useful information you'll uncover, and the less it will hurt to find out. But if you apply some method and take active steps, you'll get something for your troubles.

For example, if Swift hadn't checked the book, it would have been booby-trapped. Kind of a Magician's force, which I felt was thematically appropriate.]

• 3 weeks later...

Right.   I will probably force the timeline a little on my next post; give you the librarian's answers for one thing, since that seems to be your line of investigation.

As you might have noticed, I just added something new to this thread: Dreams.  

I'm going to run this idea past you, to gauge whether you think it's interesting.  At regular intervals during your investigation, each of you will have a series of dreams.  As you progress through the series, you will be able to take actions to determine whether or not they turn out to be nightmares, or restful dreams.

If you have 5 nightmares, bad things will start to happen.  Don't have 8.

If this doesn't interest you, just consider the dreams I wrote up as fluff text.

Archived