“the thing” survival

augercorn

berry was at the end of the room, doing a math problem. ignoring everyone else till they were all here.

lightning looked up when he saw Rift starring at him, he replyed to his question

"ehh it'll be a while before I can do a routine with the wonderbolts, ... but i'm fine for now. what about yourself man you ahhh seem a bit ...pale?"

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rift straightened himself and scoffed at Lightnings words.

Rift toke a deep breath and pointed his finger at him. "You were the one who jumped in front of everyone, got shot and I'm the pale one!?" He slammed his hand against the wall and glared angrily at him "Did you have a death wish or something!? 'Cause I'd rather you go off yourself somewhere I don't have to watch you die."

he bit his lip and turned his head away to stop himself from saying anything more he may regret and exhaled slowly to expel his angry demeanor before returning to his slouching position.

"It's fine if you believe no one likes you, but please try to remember that someone is bound to care about your well being" he was purposefully trying not to look at lightning, and instead observed what Berry was doing.

Ash put away what he was doing and went to his clothing drawer, switching out his heavy jacket for an old bomber jacket with flame designs on it. His clothing changed for something more comfortable, "Ugh those heavy jackets, I love the heat but hot clothing sucks." He soon made his way to where everyone else was gathered and flopped down into a chair, "Listen I know what this is about, we're picking a name for the new dog right? I vote we call him Pupperoni, it's cute right?"

Black sighed at Lightning's words, leaving the doctor in the freezer is not a good idea. He felt like it would only be a slightly better idea than sleeping outside. Hopefully he wouldn't be in there much longer. Black simply walked back to the lab with Lightning, giving a small laugh at his question.

"No, I don't think they are. And it's only gibberish to you because you don't know their language. I don't know what's up with this dog, but the elks obviously didn't want it to survive for whatever reason." He replied before Rift started speaking. Black simply went back to his chair as he awaited the others.

lightning looked at rift akwardly it felt half like he was being scolded and half like he was being counsled.

this scared off Black, who he followed and sat silently next to.

then Ash came in and sugested the name "uhh that makes me hungry, for a name that is"

Berry saw Rift come up to him and ignored him, staying with the map and doing a few math problems

Ruby came into the room and held up a hand before anyone could speak to her. " Lemme guess, we're all 'ere to decide whether or not ta cap dat pooch, or call it Captain Runny McBoomBoom and chuck it in th' kennel with the other mutts for Iditarod ta fuk aroun' with, am I right? "

She moved further in and leaned against the wall, finishing off he last of her smoke, she took the stump from her mouth between the knuckles of her pinkie and ring finger, while retrieving her pack from her bag with her magic and her lighter with her free hand. As she flicked the stub from her hand into the waste bin, she already had another cig in her mouth by her magic and lite, and returned the two items to her bag as she removed the cig with her other hand, this time with the palm facing outwards as she held the smoke between the knuckles of her middle and ring finger, blowing out the smoke she'd inhaled before replacing the cig and crossing her arms and moving one leg up to brace er hoof on the wall, a bored expression on her face.

Berry turned around his chubby face in an angry frown.

all right team lets begin.

Lightning raised his hand and said “sire what about Iditarod and doc, they got a say in this too?”

Berry responded in a with a bulldoggish ”I said 10 minutes there not here, and not part of this operation as of now!”

Lighting gave him a look and said “aye aye cockmaning offsucker.”

what?

what?” replied lighting like he said nothing

Berry thought for a second and continued

all right team we have 2 dead elk, 1 dog of unknown origin and status, and a storm coming in 6 hours. We have no contact with Thule or the our superiors in amyest station.

I purpose we all work together to send out a signal to amyest and get investigation team before the storm.”

Lightning raised his hand “sir none that’s hopeful thinking at best even if we can reach them what’s the chance we can actually get help”

Berry frowned “we got no other options.”

Lighting shrugged “Sir I can fly us there in the huey, is that map to scale”

Berry looked at him in thought, “are you up for it lieutent?”

Lightning replied “chh course I am! I can get us there and back in like 3 hours we figure out whats going on, get home for coco and watch that tape of rarity’s fancy underpants fashion show by the end of the night.”

Berry looked at the map and thought

“o.k if your up for it, your not going alone though, any volunteers to investigate Thule, it could be dangerous.”

Ruby made a 'tch' noise and raised her hand. " Fuk it, I'll go. It'll give me a chance ta get away from most of you d!cks for awhile, plus maybe the Elk will all be dead an I'll get ta ravage their technology for myself, never played with Elk tech b'fore. " She withdrew the cig from her mouth with her magic, twirling it lazily in the air as she blew out some more smoke before replacing the cig with a shrug.

" Or maybe they're still alive an I'll just jack somm'a their sh!t, or 'ave Lightnin' ask real nice If I can play with it a little bit, whateva. Regardless, a'm in. "

Black listened in silence while Berry and Lightning talked. Eventually it was decided that Lightning would fly over to the elk base and check it out. Black remained silent as he thought about if he should go or not. He wouldn't really be much help with anything dangerous, but he could be helpful in helping figuring out what was going on. Actually, he might be more useful staying around in his own lab. He just had to get something to work with first.

"I think I'd be better staying around here." Black said after Ruby volunteered to go on the trip.

Ash immediately raised his hand, "If we're gonna get hit by a storm soon I might as well go with you and comb Thule base for supplies, see if they have anything useful." He was eager to go somewhere really, staying cooped up in one place made Ash jittery, which really wasn't good for anyone on the base.

Lancet blearily opened his eyes as Black shook him for a moment, but then the door shut again leaving him in darkness, which was thankful. The brief moment of blinding light had already burned through his bleary retinas and into his thumping head. He tried to go back to sleep, but now all he could focus on was the pain reverberating through his head as he choked on his ashen tongue. He gave it a few more minutes before he finally gave in and dragged himself into a sitting position. He was dressed in full Arctic gear, a very warm parka jacket with a face mask and thick gloves and boots. There was no telling how long he'd been in there, but the fact that he was wanted still thrashed around his skull. He lowered the mask covering the bottom of his face as he fumbled for a cigarette with his gloves then raised it to his mouth. His hands were shaking terribly. Another hand reached for a match and struck it before lighting the tip.

The good doctor sat there and smoked for another few minutes, trying to find comfort in it and recover his wits. As he finished he got the energy together to stand up, using the wall he was sitting against to help him slide upwards. He took a final drag then tossed the butt onto the floor before heading back to the freezer door. He grabbed the large metal latch and pulled it to him, opening the door and sliding out before closing it behind him. The door shut loudly and Lancet shook off the ice on his coat before finding a silver canteen in the pocket, lifting it out, and then taking a swig. The warm liquid flowed through him, and it took the edge off of the thumping. He stumbled out of the kitchens and to the hallway. There was the sound of voices coming from the lab and he slowly started to stagger towards it.

Berry nodded. But then turned to Black.

Overruled your going with them, they need someone with brains on that team.”

He looked around and nodded.

“so here is our plan, we send the team out to investigate. Meanwhile. Myself Iditorod and the doc if he wakes up, will examine the dog, between the 3 of us we should be able to find any abnormalities, …. Disease, magic, find out why they were so intent on killing it.

Durning this time Rift will work to try to engineer communications to Thule, and amyest.

I want my helicopter team to be well armed and prepared for anything. Who knows what could of happened there.”

SHOTGUN! …. I call that shotgun, I want it.”

Shouted lightning exited.

Berry rolled his eyes and pointed to ash “get them geared up with whatever they can carry. Ill close up after you.”

He turned to lightning “don’t push yourself. We need you for this mission, don’t give me any of that macho pegasis bull#$#@ I want them out of here before 15 minutes.

He turned to Black “Black boom, you are in charge of the team out there. Make sure they stay safe, on schedule. Also bring back solid evidence of whatever happened out there. We’ll need something to prove what happened for the committee.”

He pointed to Ruby “don’t …. Don’t …. Don’t kill yourself.”

Berry gently put his hands together and said “all right we all have a job to do everyone get too it. … Doctor Lancet. You stay here!”

Lightning jumped up next to Ash and said “Hey I get the shotgun right?”

Black sighed slightly at Berry's words, but he made no effort to dispute it. Guess there would be no lab work for him right now. Wait, he was in charge? Well, he was the smartest out of the three for sure, but he wasn't sure he was the best choice as leader. Oh well, he would just try his best, he supposed. After everything was said, Black sighed again before standing and going over to Ash.

"Not really sure what would be good for me, or if I really should take anything aside from what I already have." Black said simply, rubbing the back of his neck slightly.

Rift raised his hand into the air "Hold up, Berry. I think I would be of better use on the helicopter." After cracking his knuckles he toke a deep breath to press his opinion.

"Our communications can be easily adjusted to just about all wave lengths but as you said, anything could've happened and if the communications is damaged on that side... No point me doing anything here." He exhaled the last of the breath and awaited his verdict.

When Lightening began harassing Ash for the shotgun he started muttering about Pegasus macho under his breath.

Ash laughed when Lightning asked for the shotgun, "Are you kidding? I'll give you a shotgun when I have a death-wish and no sooner! You want a gun then I'll give you a revolver, I'd suggest the same for you Black." Ash chuckled at the very idea of giving Lightning something as deadly as a shotgun. The stallion sighed as Rift spoke up and asked to go along on the helicopter, "We don't need more than three Rift, since you're such a worry wort, why don't you help doctor whiskey get sobered up?" Ash pantomimed lifting a glass to his mouth and laughed, poking fun at doctor Lancet who wasn't in the room yet.

Doc Lancet chose that exact moment to stagger into the room out of the corridor. The others were all embroiled in some kind of argument about something, and the raised voices made his head throb. He ignored them all as he headed to an empty chair and sat down, before pulling out his canteen and taking another swig. He didn't have a clue what any of them were talking about, but their voices were just angry stinging in his head as he didn't make out any of the words. He took a second gulp of the amber liquid in his canteen before sealing it up again and putting it back in his pocket, then sitting back in the chair. He blearily looked at Berry. "So wass going on ere?" he slurred.

Rift was pleased with Ashes response to Lightening's annoying begging and ceased his muttering. He had always liked Ash a little more then most, he was hyperactive while maintaining command sense. But as Doctor Lancet entered the lab and the thick stench of alcohol followed, his happiness was sapped away as his stomach turned on him. He hated the liquor from the first moment he encountered it, and the dislike had only grow stronger with every year.

"Help that drunk sober up? I'd rather cut myself and go skinny dipping with piranhas. You should know by now I hate the idea of alcohol any where near me!" He looked slightly uneasy and uncomfortable. He didn't dislike Lancet personally but the his constant habit of drinking put a dampener on their relationship as colleges.

He swallowed hard to keep himself from feeling sick "And while I do agree that three is enough to scout out Thule and I may worry a little to much for my own good. That storm is coming in mighty fast and the more people that are there, the quicker we can search it and get out"

Berry shrugged his shoulders.

4 men makes a fire team. If your interested in going I see no need to stop you. besides lighting shouldn’t be doing to much anyway, its technically only 3 men.”

Now all of you hurry up and go ill brief the doctor.

Lightning stood up and said” he looked to black boom and said“aww come on man I’m the pilot what if I need to shoot and fly at the same time! Or if ..you know. The helicopter pilot always gets it the worse! Right next to the black guyd “not you ..you know what I mean! … I need the firepower!”

Berry pointed his finger to the door and said “hurry up and get ready if your not off the ground in 15 I’m aborting the mission.”

He then looked at doc and slowly shook his head

“boy do I have a briefing for you.”

A revolver... That could work, he supposed. Black said nothing as the others spoke, raising an eyebrow at Lightning's words, shaking his head with a sigh when he finished.

"Lightning, I'd appreciate if you focus on flying when we're actually up there." Black said, standing up and walking towards the armory so they could collect their weapons. "Come on then, let's get this done."

Ash stood up and trotted off towards the armory with the others, "Easy there speed racers, try not to rush in before the quartermaster!" Ash laughed as they made the trek. When they finally got there, Ash used his keys to open the armory door and slipped inside, grabbing a markspony rifle, "Alright everyone get geared up and let's get moving."

Rift nodded to Berry before following Ash and Black out of the room and sighing in sweet relief as his stomarch settled down. He wasn't sure how he felt the search was going to go, many things could go wrong while they are down there, far to many questions lingered regarding recent events and Rift felt he needed to find them himself and protect everyone in his immediate bubble.

"So black, you in command. What do you have planned out for us once we get there?"

When he reached the armoury, he simply held up his hands to Ash and said "Surprise me"

Black gave no response to Rift's question at first, trying to think about what they should do. He wasn't really sure what they should do, aside from simply searching the base. As they reached the armory, Black began searching for a handgun to use.

"I suppose we should just search. We don't really know what's happening, so I think we should stick together." Black said as he searched, finally responding to Rift.

Lancet was pretty much lost as far as the conversation went, so he stopped listening and caring, instead lying back in his chair and massaging his temples. Something big was going on, but he wasn't sure if it even involved him. He caught the word drunk being thrown about, and looked over to Rift, then shrugged. He knew Rift hated the stuff, so there was nothing new there. Lancet opened his canteen and took another slow swig and when he looked up there was only him and Berry in the room. "Hey... where'd everybody go...?" he asked Berry. Berry's gaze only intensified and he said something about a briefing. "Might need a coffee first..." he mumbled then pushed himself back up to stand, almost tripping in the process, but managing to stabilise.

Ruby sneered and raised one hand with her arms still crossed and gave Berry the middle finger at his remark about her killing herself, then staying quiet for the rest of the briefing. When the others left the room, she slipped out along with them, heading to the armory.

She grabbed a box of rounds for her revolver, reloading the two empty slots, then stared at the rifles for a few moments before letting out an exasperated sigh as she grabbed one off the rack along with an extra clip. She then checked the weapon, once more twirling her cigarette in the air lazily with her magic as she did so, then slung it over her shoulder and replaced her smoke, then mumbled something about getting her coat and meeting the others by the chopper as she left the room.

Archived