The World of Remnant (Closed)

SymphonicFire

Midnight opened her mouth as Andrea said braids looked stupid, but didn't actually say anything. She wasn't sure if she meant it or not, because she could clearly feel her making her hair into braids.

She heard the teacher, and put her hand up. She'd be surprised if any Faunus had honestly had a normal life, because humans treated her kind like crap. No! She reminded herself, some humans treated some of her kind of like that. She didn't want to let that poison her view on the woeld, more so than it already had.

".....Sad how many hands are up, isn't it?" she asked Tehengu, seeing a shift in his face as he noticed the hands going up.

"Yeah. I hate how many people judge others based solely on race." He said, sighing angrily. He looked over at Midnight, sighing again as he saw her hand in the air as well. He kind of epected it, given her behavior around others, but it was still sad to know that she had been through something like that.

Midnight looked at Tehengu, she couldn't tell if he was angry or sad or what. She couldn't read him, then again, face reading required her to actually know him. But she might as well find out his thoughts, and there was a good topic almost right there for the taking.

"What about the White Fang, you know, the Faunus who are constantly fighting despite the 'unification'" Midnight used air quotes with her hands. The unification was a bunch of hoony, just something to end fighting. It would never end in equality "What do you think of them? Are they just in their fight, or are they rebels who need to be out down?"

Midnight did her best to avoid having any emotion in her voice when asking, wanting to keep her own opinions of the Fang's private for many reasons. One is that her view wasn't a popular one at all. And she didn't want Tehengu thinking she was a fanatical who wanted everything destroyed, he was her only real friend after all. She didn't want to lose him.

Tehengu hummed at Midnight's question, looking at her for a bit before responding at all.

"I'm fine with the idea, getting equality for Faunuses, but their methods are the problem I have with them. I think they go too far at times. I would support them if they weren't so aggressive in completing their goals, and by aggressive I mean they're too violent." He said, watching her.

A flash of sadness becomes visible on her face, before vanishing behind her 'mask' which didn't give away much emotion. So that was his view, equality, but not by any means. She knew she'd need to keep some of her opinions on the downlow, least Tehengu start doubting her.

"I see....So you're fine with the concept, but..." Midnight paused, shaking her head. She had nearly pushed too hard, and probably scare him off. She had to keep quiet, be careful how much she let her opinions be known. "But...what other choice do they have?" She asked, having changed her question to one that wouldn't scare him away "We all want equality, and they've given up with dealing in rooms and meetings. Are they right in taking these actions?"

Tehengu raised an eyebrow for a second as he caught the flash of sadness across her face. He simply listened as she spoke, asking him another question.

"Like I said, they're going about this wrong. Violently acting out against humans will not bring equality, all it will do is make humans hate Faunus more, and possibly reverse the status quo. The way they act is not helping their cause at all, I don't think. I admit that the peaceful way can be difficult, but the right way to do things isn't always the easiest way." He said, watching her still.

Midnight opened her mouth, but closed it without saying anything. She was being careful now. Tehengu's views weren't wrong, many people believed that. But while parts of that she shared with him, she also viewed it differently. Probably because she had experienced part of it, being a Faunus and all.

"I....I see" she said coldly, not wanting to let her emotions cloud her. Tehengu was different to most, perhaps it was too much to hope he saw it like she did. He was compassionate and caring, and that's what she found appealing about him. But there was a huge different between caring for one, and experiencing one. She'd aimed too high, and was disappointed he didn't see the Fang like she did. A force of people who were unwillingly to give up, willing to fight against the world and not care what people labelled them.

They wore the masks of monsters, because humans called her kind monsters. Midnight rested her head in her hands. She had to be careful how far she let her thoughts go. If she kept thinking of Faunus as her kind, she'd start to become more like a Winter Fang, and that would mean her friendship with Tehengu would be dangerous. She wouldn't lose him, she couldn't lose him. He was her first friend, her only friend...... And she didn't want to lose something she'd just gotten.

"Sorry, I just...well, being a Faunus, this whole Fang and war deal gets to me.." she lied. She hated herself for doing it, but she couldn't let him know. He couldn't know, he'd judge her for it, think of her differently! Might even ask for a different partner, and all she needed to do was stay a little silent about her opinions to keep him.

Tehengu watched her as she spoke coldly before falling silent for a good long while. She was hiding something, he was sure of it. He didn't want to ask about it though, she deserved her privacy after all. Eventually, she spoke again, and he gave a hum in response.

"I want equality as much as they do, I just think they're too quick to jump to violence. I'm sorry, that's just how I see them." He said simply after Midnight had finished.

"I...no need to say sorry" she says, smiling at Tehengu "You don't have to defend your views. I was just curious, as simple as that" she pushed her mask away, putting on a smile. She needed time to think, would she tell him? Would she let the others know? Too many questions, ones that hadn't even considered, coming up all because she'd made a friend, and now all the complications that came with friendship.

She looked down at her book. Could she tell him? She didn't want to lose him, but she couldn't change who she was, not her past. So what did she have to do? She couldn't talk to anyone about this, no...she'd have to figure it out on her own, and in due time. But for now, just hope he doesn't get too curious about her past and her opinions.

Tehengu returned Midnight's smile as she said he didn't need to apologize. He watched her for a bit longer after that, convinced she was hiding something from him. Oh well, she would tell him if she wanted him to know. He looked back to the teacher then, leaving his friend to her thoughts.

Midnight shot glances over at Tehengu, unsure what to do. Part of her thought, as her only friend, he deserved to know the truth! But there was that part of her that was afraid, he would hate her for it. It scared her, hence her hesitation. He didnt' share her views, Slash wouldn't even as a Faunus because he was too kind-hearted. Midnight hated to admit it, but the only one who might understand would be Andrea! Of all the people she might be forced to confess too, her!? Unlikely.

She was almost certain he was suspicious of her, she wasn't very good at lying. But, like before, he hadn't pressed her on anything, just letting her go by her business. But that made her feel more guilty about it all. What to do? Midnight wasn't sure, but if she was going to tell him anything, she'd make sure it would be impossible for anyone to overhear. Meaning that they'd have to do it out of the school, or late at night or during sparing or somewhere!

"....Wanna spar again tonight?" she asked Tehengu, looking over at him. If she could just spend time with him, maybe she'd feel better, and if would give her a better choice to 'confess' to him.

Tehengu simply watched the teacher, listening to his words. He had to wonder why Midnight had reacted the way she had. Maybe she didn't share his views on the matter, which was fine with him. Everyone deserved to have their own opinions. Still though, he had to wonder what her views truly were, assuming he was correct. He looked over at her as she asked if he wanted to spar again later.

"Yes, that sounds good." He said, smiling slightly at her.

"Dreadful! Simply dreadful! Remember students, it is precisely this kind of ignorance that breeds violence." Professor Oobleck said, sipping from his cup. 

"Would you like me to adjust your uniform? The sleeves seemed to be in your way while you were fighting last class" Slash asked in a hushed voice.

"I mean...I mean...I mean, just look at what happened to the White Fang! Now, which one of you young scholars can tell me what many theorists believe to be the turning point in the third year of the war?" the Professor asked.

Andrea turned toward Slash while still fixing Midnights Braids. " Well then maybe you should keep your hands off of my lovely Golden-Err-Pink locks " Andrea turned back and continued braiding. Listening to Midnight and Tehengu conversation, Andrea chose to keep quiet but found it increasingly difficult to not inject her opinion straight in their ears. In an attempt to distract herself, She turned her attention to whatever it was Slash was talking about. " Is that really Needed though? I mean, it's not like I'm gonna fight in this super often. " Andrea grabbed Slashs hand and placed it on the braids while she fished into her bag for a band or a suitable substitute.

Midnight smiled over at Tehengu when he said he'd spar with her again. She needed to get her head straight, and a good fight to do that. Tehengu was a good fighter, and that could help clear her head.

But that's when she heard the teacher mention the White Fang. She looked over at him, gently biting her lower lip. What was the Fang being involved? She'd thought about it enough of it today, and yet, here it was again. The third year year of the war, the turning point. Midnight suspected she knew, but was silent. She was having enough inner conflict, the last thing she needed is to be called out and talk about the humans failed attempts killing and capturing her kind. Then again, it might bring some satifcation knowing humans were dumb enough to attack her kind at night. Night which is where they were stronger than humans because of their superior night vision.

"The battle of Fort Castle" Midnight said outloud "The human armies attempted to ambush my people at night, to take a position from us and kill us in our sleep" Her voice was completely void of emotion "Instead, the general was captured and his entire strike force was killed"

"Precisely! And, who can tell me the advantage the Faunus had over General Lagoon's forces?" Professor Oobleck asked. "Mr Slash Claw! Why don't you answer this question?"

Slash looked up and looked around. "Oh! Uh...Faunus are know to have nearly perfect sight in the dark. The General didn't know about this and made the mistake of ambushing the Faunus in their sleep" he said, nervously laughing while scratching his neck.

"Very good! Now, moving on!" Oobleck said as he zoomed to the other side of the room.

Slash sighed as he wiped the sweat off his forehead.

• 3 months later...

"Sounds good to me." Tehengu said, only half paying attention to the class in progress. Sure, he was more of a military man, but school didn't really seem to be his thing. Listening to lectures like this didn't seem to interest him that much. Still, out of respect for the teacher, he payed attention to what he was saying.

Midnight looked up as she heard Slash speak, she had been in her own little world for most of this class, before looking up at Slash. Both him and Tehengu wanted to pop into town? Well, no reason NOT to right? After all, this was her team and she, well, she had to get to know them, even if she'd rather spend this afternoon head buried in her book.

"Well..suppose i'm in"

Silver Ice gathered his gear and got ready to get off the boat. He had finally made it to Vale after a long journey from Atlas. He finished gathering his stuff as the ship made port.

'time to move.' he thought himself as he picked up his bag and threw it over shoulder.

"Your joking." Silver couldn't believe this.

"Sorry sir. Nothing we can do about lost luggage." Was all Silver got as a reply from the sailor.

"Great. just great. Now I have to resupply my dust before the tournament." Silver ranted as the sailor walked away. Sil pulled out his map of vale and began to look for the nearest dust shop.

Having found somekind of band, Andrea removed Slashs and tied the end of Midnights French braid. "Yeah I might as well go to. I'm in need of more dust. There you go Midi. Hope you like stupid hairdos" Andrea turned to face forward and ask Slash "So anyway what did I miss?"  Looking at the clock Andrea deduced that Class was probably almost over hopefully. " I wasn't even listening and I could already tell it was super boring. 

Midnight reached around, knowing what had happened to her hair, and despite that Andrea had said it looked stupid, she really really liked it. But, maybe Andrea was right, maybe it did look stupid? She turned to Tehengu, trying to get him to look since she didn't have a mirror "Does it? Look stupid I mean...." she felt bad for asking, but she had no where else to turn. Normally she never did anything like this since, loner, now the one time it was done, and she was told it looked stupid.

"Well you missed everything about the Fanus war" Slash sighed, sliding his notes to Andrea for her to copy. "You need to pay attention too, angel"

"And that's the end of class. Remember to write a summary about the war. I want it handed in by the end of the week" Oobleck said before zooming out of class.

"Come on guys, the airship will leave if we stay here." Slash smiled as he gathered his stuff and stood up.

Tehengu turned to Midnight as she asked her question about the braid. He looked at her for a few seconds, taking in the image of her with her hair like that. Then he shook his head, smiling slightly at her.

"Looks good to me." He said to her before the teacher rushed out of the classroom. Seriously, what was wrong with these teachers? Oh well, that was an issue for later. He nodded to Slash before standing and gathering his stuff, waiting for the others to get ready.

Midnight smiles when Tehengu said it looked good, her braid that is. Realizing the others were leaving, she quickly grabbed her stuff, which was mostly her book and drawing equipment, stuffing them into her bag before. Quickly standing up, her mind went to the question of did she need anything?

Well, some more books would be nice, assuming she ever got the time to finish the one she still had. Some snacks, maybe a case for her blades. Maybe even some better clothes, after all, most of her clothes consisted of black trackies, black jeans, black shirts, boots and trench coats. While she preferred the darker colours, it wasn't appealing for any of her teammates. Maybe she'd try find something? Or maybe even get Tehengu a gift? Yeah, friends give gifts right? Yeah, surely. Now, what to get him. She looked at the archer curiously, what gift could she get him to show she cared about him?

Some clothes, some books. No, she didn't know his size OR what kind of books he liked. Flowers? No, he's male, males don't like girly things like flowers. She tapped her fingers against eachother while she waited and tried to figure out what he could like. Chocolate? Yes, surely. Everyone likes chocolate right? That or, no, he didn't use dust, right? Or did his arrows use it? If so, then maybe that? There were so many things she Couldn't get for him, she wasn't sure what she Could get for him!