(Ponyville) Just a normal... RUN! RUN AWAY! (Open)

Ashton

determined_scootaloo_by_uxyd-d59ohs7.png

Scootaloo

It was a typical day, nothing unusual had happened recently, of course for a certain filly that was more of a disappointment... the familiar orange pegasus stood in front of a hoop with a bucket behind it, in her hoof was a set of seemingly ordinary playing cards, she gently took one in her mouth and with a flick of her head sent it flying through the hoop and into the bucket "Man, this is too easy, why didn't I try this before?" she asked with a smile, the next card flew through the hoop and fell into the bucket as well "if only Rainbow Dash could see this, she'd be so impressed!" she smirked as she threw another card... but this card... it sailed through the hoop and kept flying... in fact it was arcing back "That's odd... I don't feel a breeze..." said Scootaloo as the card, the Ace of Spades, flashed in the light, it's edges audibly sharp and continued her way "Why is it... Oh no!" she said jumping up and running, the playing card flying after her, it closed in and she jumped, her tail cut a few millimeters shorter, "That was close! Wait,is it... NO! HELP! SOMEPONY HELP!!!" she yelled as she began running again as the card turned once more and was chancing her again... "THIS IS THE LAST TIME I USE MAGIC CARDS FOR THROWING!!!" she whined as she galloped as hard as she could...

run_away_by_deadparrot22-d5rc755.png

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this return to Ponyville would be less... Eventful than last time. While having both eyes functional had been nice, the large griffon would have rather not become a child with only what he had known when he was that old. Oh well, at least the problem had been fixed and none of his stuff had gone missing, partially thanks to his friend who hadn't been effected by the spell.

Tehengu was flying over town on his way back towards his home, decked out in his full gear. He paused as he heard a call for help, his gaze turning towards the sound to see a filly being chased by what looked like a flying playing card. The ace of spades, at that.

"So much for an uneventful return home. Oh well, I really can't expect much different from this town." Tehengu muttered to himself as he pulled out his bow and knocked an arrow, hovering in place as he drew back and aimed. After another couple seconds, he let fly, the arrow streaking down to impact the card through the middle and hopefully pierce it , pinning it to the ground.

"You okay, kid?" He called down to the filly as he came down for a landing, putting his bow away. He kept a close eye on the card in case it tried anything.

night_watcher__her_majesties__secret_ser

Night Watcher was happy to get an opportunity to enjoy some time to herself. Granted she liked the action of her new life, but she liked having moments where she could just be herself and not be on guard all the time. She broke over the treeline and into the town which paled in size to where she was used to living in Canterlot. The town she knew had its share of problems, and it was no wonder seeing that a Princess lived there. Clearly it was an unassuming yet important target to protect. 

For a moment she felt that her trip would be uneventful, that was until she heard a filly crying. She could see an orange Pegasus running away from something. Why wasn't she flying as that would be faster? Flying lower Night could see that the filly was being chased by of all things a playing card. She dove down, ready to intercept the card when an arrow shot through the ace, pinning it to the ground. She knew of only one pony, or in this case griffon, who was that talented with a bow, and it just so happened to be her leader on missions. Correcting her decent, she landed next to the filly softly, giving a nod to the griffon. 

"Hello," she said, "It's ok, the card is gone now. I'm Night Watcher. What's your name?"

The ace jerked around several times, threatening to get loose, but after a moment it fell still, then vanished, turning into a pale glow and flowing back into the desk of cards inside scootaloo's saddlebags.

The filly was hiding behind the older mare, smiling awkwardly "Sorry everypony" she said, walking back out "I think there's something wrong with the cards" she said with an equally awkward laugh "Thank you all, My name's Scootaloo" she explained "I was just practicing throwing them, but the cards sometimes act strange" she said, pulling the deck out. If any of them were historians or magic scholars they might recognize what at first glance seemed to be the insignia of Starswirl the Bearded on the cards and wooden box they were in, but upon a closer inspection the stars were turned the wrong way, and there was one too few stars... while anyone who knew magic or lore would see right through the fake, the average pony (or filly) would be fooled... with possibly dadly results...

"Most of them are harmless though" said scootaloo, pulling out the Ace of hearts, which was thumping on the card and making an audible lub-dub sound while it was outside the deck "though they can be kinda creepy" she pulled out one of the suicide kings and it instantly was screaming and blood dripping from the card untill Scootaloo put it back in the deck "They're super-cool though, they're an ancient artifact from this awesome unicorn that princess twilight never stops talking about called Starbeard the Swirley!" clearly despite all the talking, scootaloo still wasn't listening considering how badly she mangled Starswirl's name... or she was simply acting stupid to play up her 'foalish innocence' to keep out of trouble... knowing her either one was equally possible...

((Oh and just to clarify, no, scootaloo doesn't know the significance of the Ace of Spades))

Tehengu looked over at the mare that the filly was hiding behind, and was pleasantly surprised to find her to be Night Watcher. It was always nice to see fellow EPIC members outside of missions, especially when said members were ones he had worked with on missions. He returned her nod in greeting before the filly spoke up, saying that there was something wrong with the cards. Well, that was an understatement. That last one looked like it was trying to kill her.

Everything seemed alright now, so the large griffon moved over to the arrow and pulled it out of the ground, inspecting it as he listened to Scootaloo speak. After a second, he nodded in satisfaction, placing the arrow back in his quiver for later. He then turned back towards the filly as she pulled out one of the kings, which began screaming and bleeding until she put the card away. His eye narrowed at that, looking at the deck itself and the case it came in.

He didn't recognize the symbol, but there definitely was something wrong with this deck. Scootaloo then mentioned some pony that had apparently been a famous mage and one that the princess often talked about. 

"I think the name is Starswirl the Bearded. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not actually sure. Speaking of Princess Twilight though, you should probably take that deck to her when you get the chance, to avoid any more... accidents like what almost happened. My name's Tehengu, by the way." He said, looking down at the filly. He had to wonder why the young pegasus hadn't just flown from the card, as it was generally faster than running, but he decided it didn't much matter at this point.

(Sorry about the wait. Not sure why I didn't see it was my turn.) 

Night Watcher kept her eye trained on the card as it struggled being pinned by the arrow until it suddenly vanished. Although she was not a unicorn seasoned in magic, she knew that the card was magical in nature and in that case a little dangerous for the filly. The mare didn't know what the symbol on the wooden box meant although she guessed it was one of some mage, a former owner of the deck. She watched as the griffon looked over the deck, inspecting a few of the cards as the filly introduced herself. 

Thank you all, My name's Scootaloo" she explained "I was just practicing throwing them, but the cards sometimes act strange

"Well Scootaloo, I'm glad that you weren't hurt. These cards are certainly enchanted, especially that ace you threw."

Night's violet eyes went wide as she heard that the filly was in possession of an artifact owned by Starswirl the Bearded. Even some Pegasus and Earth ponies knew of the great mage who assisted the Princesses in ancient times. 

"Well I agree with Tehengu, that if this deck was enchanted by Starswirl then it needs to be kept safe, lest it accidentally hurt you or anypony or griffon else. How did you happen to get such a deck if I may ask?" 

She looked at the Griffen first "aww, but they're fun, they fly so well..." she said, a tone in her voice making it clear that flying meant a lot to her, she tried not to show it but she loved anything that flew, including cards and airships, though mostly out of envy and wishing she were the one flying, hoping that one day she would be able to... "I knnow Twilight's jsut gonna take them away, any time my friends 'an I have something fun and magic she takes it away..."

The little pegasus then looked over at the unicorn "It was hidden by ponies in ancient times during a great war in a knothole in a tree!" she explained, which sounded absurd to behin with "Trixie sold us a map that she had which lead right to it!" she added, which made the explanation not only absurd and contrived, but also clearly a scam by the Unicorn to drag in more bits... some things never changed...

Tehengu sighed slightly at Scootaloo's response, though he guessed he couldn't really blame her. Judging by the sound of her voice, flying was important to her. Perhaps she really couldn't fly. He looked at her for a little bit as she continued speaking, answering Night's question. Trixie. While he hadn't met the pony in real life, he had heard things about her. Well, this was just something he would need to make her answer for if he met her.

"I can see you don't want to give the deck up, but you should, if only to avoid anything like that happening when nobody's around to help you out." He said, still watching the filly. He fell silent for a few moments before he spoke up again. "How about this, you give that deck to the princess, and I'll fly you around whenever you want, assuming I'm in town of course. Heck, I'll even teach you and your friends how to do something of your choice."

He usually wouldn't go through so much to get something like this, but it was in the possession of a filly, he couldn't just take it. At least not before he tried to get it peacefully. Plus, it was dangerous to this filly and pretty much anyone else, and it had already shown it wanted to hurt others, so it needed to be either locked away or destroyed.

The Pegasus mare could see that the filly was sad to have to give up her deck of magical cards. Apparently in the mind of Scootaloo Princess Twilight Sparkle took pleasure in taking their things. This made the former Lunar Guard wonder what other artifacts she and her friends had. Tehengu offered to help her and her friends in exchange for the cards, and Night wanted to add something else. 

"I know you're sad having to give up your magical cards, but besides you getting hurt with no pony around to help you, imagine your friends getting hurt. I'm not a unicorn, but I know that magic can be dangerous. In return for the cards I can help you as well. How are you at flying?" 

Scootaloo seemed reluctant at first at the griffen's comments, given that she really didn't need the free flying even if it was past awesome --- even more so that she would have a personal griffen chariot (at least in ehr mind) to show off --- though the fact she often traveled with her two friends really ground that to a halt since she was unsure if he coudl carry all three of them... not that she wouldn't be more than glad to use (or perhaps abuse) the offer and try to get him to buzz Diamond Tierra and Silver Spoon when they got really nasty. But then his offer to teach them any one thing her eyes sparkled with near uncontrollable mischief, one could almost hear the gear clicking in ehr head and so many idea playing out in her mind of what she and her friends might learn... no doubt most of her expectations being crazy, but she was a foal "anything?" she asked 

Then she turned to the pegasus and her heart leapt "You can teach me to fly? Rainbow Dash never has time to!" she said, not wanting to admit how little time she got to spend with her idol 'best flier in equestia' that had nothing to do with learning to fly...

And of course neither of them knew that trixie supposedly had many more 'maps' to 'ancient treasures' that she had offered to sell the CMC... so losing one wasn't as much of a blow as it should have been...

Tehengu looked over at Night with a raised eyebrow for a second, but said nothing, simply turning back to Scootaloo to await the filly's response to his offer. Honestly, he wasn't liking the look he saw on her face, but he gave no response. He had to wonder what she thought he could teach her that made her look like that.

"Well, anything might be a stretch, but I'll teach you and your friends pretty much anything you would want to know." He said in response to the filly's one word question. He then looked at Night again as Scootaloo turned to talk to her. "I wouldn't mind helping if you intend to teach her to fly." He said, offering his assistance to the pegasus.

Night realized that she may have bitten off more than she could chew when promising to teach Scootaloo to fly in exchange for the box of enchanted cards. Not every Pegasus was born with the gift to fly fast and long, and there was no magic to improving as practice was the key. She could see that the filly's wings were small even for her age and the fact that Scootaloo didn't take off into the air to dodge the card made the mare wonder. Even Tehengu had his doubts as he raised an eyebrow to her. 

"I don't know who this Rainbow Dash is, but I would hope that her reasons are that she has more pressing matters. In honesty I can't promise that you'll be able to fly like the Wonderbolts, but I can help you to improve from where you currently are. After that though you will need to practice."

"I wouldn't mind helping if you intend to teach her to fly."

"And I would appreciate the help," Night Watcher said as she turned back to the filly, "Ok Scootaloo, will you give Twilight the cards in exchange for learning how to fly?"

Scootaloo considered "well, the cards _are_ really cool" she said, looking at the deck in ehr hoof "But being able to fly... so I can fly with rainbow dash!" she looked like she might start bouncing up and down with joy "Ok, I'll give her the cards" she said, still looking a little disappointing - after all, what pony _wouldn't_ like a magical deck of cards that, at the very least, always flew straight and landed where you wanted, that alone made them cool!

She stopped though with a look of horror on her face "ohmigosh!" she said, borrowing one of her idols catch-phrases "You dont know who rainbow Dash is? How can you NOT know who she is! She's the most awesome pegasus in equestria, in all the universe!" and before they could stop her she started launching into a, somewhat slanted recollection of some of Dash's adventures, including the sonic rainboom, which left off her short comings like basically failing her routine up to that point... really it would quickly become clear how much scootaloo idolized Dash, and just how badly she wanted dash to be 100% perfect too... she even proudly showed them her rainbow dash doll, which had a mane made from bits of Dash's actual mane, and it's hooves were fashioned from dash's hoof trimmings! not to mention she 'borrowed' one of dash's socks for part of the stuffing so it smelled like her! It was somewhere between creepy and adorable...

Night didn't know who Rainbow Dash was? That seemed strange that she hadn't even heard of the chromatic mare, but he supposed it made sense if Night didn't live around here. Tehengu had never met Rainbow either, but he had heard enough about her and had seen her around town a couple times.

At least Scootaloo had agreed to give the cards to Twilight, that was good. The large griffon kinda just stood around as the filly went on and on about Rainbow Dash. Really, it was nice the filly had someone to look up to, but this seemed a little ridiculous. He raised an eyebrow as the doll came out, the mane and hooves looking a little too realistic to be fake. Or they were just very good reproductions, though considering how the rest of the doll looked, he suspected that those parts were real.

"Right... Well, it would probably be best to get started. The sooner we're done here, the sooner you can go show Rainbow what you learned, after all." Tehengu said, trying to stop the filly before she went off again about Rainbow Dash.

The Pegasus watched as Scootaloo mulled over her offer of learning how to fly. Soon her doubts gave way to excitement as she agreed to relinquish the cards. That was good, as the young mare didn't know what she would do if the filly refused the offer. Scootaloo wasn't a perpetrator like those she had to capture while as a Lunar Guard yet she couldn't just let her have such dangerous cards. The mare noticed that the orange Pegasus mentioned Rainbow Dash frequently, and while Night had her share of ponies she looked up to both as a filly and even now, they weren't nearly at the level of obsession that the filly exhibited. 

The mare soon was given a lecture of who Rainbow Dash was as Scootaloo explained the many reasons she was awesome. What really surprised her was when Scootaloo brought out the doll which looked very real. Was the mane and tail made to be that realistic, or was it part of the chromatic mare's actual mane and tail? Thankfully Tehengu intervened to get the lesson started before Scootaloo could give more explanation of retract her offer.

"Oh, well I feel silly as yes I have seen her in town. I haven't had the chance to speak with her though. Anyway, let us begin with the lesson so we can get the most out of the day, starting with showing us how well you can fly. Once we know that we can go from there." 

((lol, *everyone* loves the creepy rainbow dash doll :D))

Scootaloo smiled as she taught them just how awesome and amazing dash was. Soon she had put her favorite plushie up and was now looked nervous as the mare asked her to show them hiw well she coudl fly... scootaloo turned a little red and knocked her hooves together awkwardly "well... um...t hat is..." she finally sighed, looking like she knew they were going to say 'sorry we cant help you' as she stood and buzzed her little wings as hard as she could, gennerating just enough lift to create a small gale in the clearing and sound almsot like a weedwacker, but it didn't get her off the ground... sugh looked down sadly "I... I cant fly..." she admitted

Tehengu raised an eyebrow again as Scootaloo seemed nervous to show them what she knew about flying. Really, if she hadn't been able to fly away when that card was chasing her, he doubted she'd be able to do much more now. Especially with how she was acting. He watched as the filly tried anyways, flapping her wings at an impressive speed, though it didn't do anything as far as getting her off the ground was concerned.

"Hmm... Well, perhaps you should focus more on the strength of your flaps, as you've obviously got a good speed to them. You need more thrust, get off the ground with one flap, then do more to stay up there." Tehengu said after a second or so of silence. This didn't look like it would be easy, though he didn't figure it would be if she hadn't been able to fly by now.

Night could tell that there was something about Scootaloo, something that was beyond just jitters perform in front of others. She noticed this when the pony failed to fly away from the enchanted card and how she looked up to a mare who was very talented. But then Scootaloo revealed that she couldn't fly, proving it as she buzzed her wings but barely got off the ground. 

"I agree with Tehengu that the way you flap your wings fast like that, although creatures like hummingbirds do so, tends to expel too much energy. Can you try flapping with fewer but more powerful strokes?"

Scootaloo sighed "well..." she said, again, clearly a phrase she tended towards when nervous... she altered ehr wing pattern and again attempted to fly with much the same result. There seemed nothing wrong with her wings, in fact their sheer power was more than average for a pegasus her age, no doubt due to her training them hard to try and increase their lift and using them to propel her scooter, so perhaps it was something else... something less physical...

((just to clarify, unless it's proved to be non-canon my theory is that Scoots has a very weak link to pegasus magic, else why she cant fly, make clouds, buck lightning bolts, etc... now whether this can be fixed (either naturally, by use of a spell, a charm, etc, is more upto the staff given the likelyhood of it being addressed in canon......))

Tehengu hummed, rubbing his chin somewhat as he watched the filly try again, to the same result. Well, she had the speed and the power that she should need. What was missing? It wasn't like her form was off or anything, and she wasn't deficient in speed or strength, so what was wrong?

"Hmm... I'm not sure what's wrong... From what I can see, you should be lifting off easily, but something is keeping you grounded..." He said, still examining the filly, trying to figure out what was wrong.

(OOC: As the other Scootaloo RPer, I don't see her problem as a disability as just that Scootaloo is a late bloomer when it comes to wing development. Still you're right, it depends on the show.) 

With military level scrutiny Night Watcher studied the Pegasus as she tried flying with the new technique. It was as if the filly had an invisible anchor tied to her keeping her grounded. She had the speed of a pony her age and nothing looked wrong with her wings physically but the strength wasn't there. She looked around to see what else could be tested with the filly. 

"How about this," Night said pointing to a decent sized boulder that was still able for the orange Pegasus to climb, "Can you climb up and try gliding from there to the ground? We'll be here to make sure you're safe." 

((yeah, the problem is you have pegasai like filly-dash, filly-fluttershy (who even NOW is lousy at flying... well except when pissed like at discorded Dash - then she actually becomes the mare's equal while her stamina holds out) and worst of all, pound cake who's jsut a baby but can fly better than some adult pegasai... hense the idea that her link to pegasus magic is just not quite strong enough --- and it's easy to say it's slow to develop aka 'late bloomer' or just never fully forms 'dissabled' without there being anything physically wrong with her... not to mention it makes it possible for a unicorn with strong enough magic (or an alicorn) to make a spark-gap that temporarily gives scoots full control of pegasai magic if needed --- though wheather it would be permanent.........))

Scoootaloo sighed, but did as instructed, climbing atop the boulder, slipping once but catching herself with a fast buzz of her wings, proving again that they were plenty powerful since they could momentarily give her a boost or steady her, and whens he got to the top she glanced around, surveying the land, planning her 'flight' as she had been instructed, then leapt, using her wings to get an extra little distance and glided down expertly, though it was much faster than it should have been and the strain on her wings and feathers were noticeable compared to other pegasai... she landed with the unequaled grace of a lead weight, stumbling and falling over, though using that momentum to tumble and jump back up, showing she also ahd some acrobatic skills --- of course that was expected given many of the stunts she had done on ehr scooter were quite acrobatic --- before standing up and turning to the pair, giving them a 'well?' look

Tehengu was still unsure of what the problem was, even as he watched the filly have trouble with simply gliding down from the boulder Night had her jump from. He was far from knowledgable on how wings worked, just that he knew how he flew, and how to explain it. He really had no idea what to say, as he could see nothing wrong with the technique or the speed. Perhaps she simply needed to work on her wing strength. Or maybe it had to do with the size of her wings. They seemed a little small for her, though they could be normal for all he knew. He didn't exactly go around comparing wing sizes of pegasus fillies, after all.

"Hmm... I'm not sure what the problem is, but maybe we should get her looked at, to make sure it's not something she can't work through, like a dissability or something." Tehengu whispered to Night.

Night watched as the filly climbed up the stone, sighing as if she tried this before. The black Pegasus however didn't see these past times and needed to establish what the filly knew before going further. She slipped but only momentarily as her wings helped get her up the rest of the way. There certainly wasn't a lack of power with the filly, but something was wrong with getting her and keeping Scootaloo off the ground. Then came the tense part: gliding. The filly glided well off the stone, albeit faster than normal. Her landing however was far from perfect but she did recover well due to some knowledge of acrobatics. 

"Hmm... I'm not sure what the problem is, but maybe we should get her looked at, to make sure it's not something she can't work through, like a dissability or something." 

"Honestly I'm not sure either," she whispered, "Granted I don't work with fillies or colts, but by now this filly should be able to definitely take off, hover and glide and even fly for short distances say from the center of a town to the outskirts. I do know that Pegasai are magically connected to the skies and weather, but how to tell if there is an issue with this or not I can't tell as I'm not a unicorn. You're right that maybe she should be looked at, but how do we tell her?" 

Scootaloo sighed, her wings drooping and her head hanging "your not going to help me, are you?" she asked, turning like she was going to walk away "That's what they all say, they tell me somethign stupid like 'dont worry about it' or 'your doing fine for your age' but I know I'm not!" she looked at them with red, tear-filled eyes "Why wont any of you adults help me!? Cant you see how important this is? Or are you all just having fun laughing at the 'chicken' who cant figure out how to fly?!" she finally ran, a rare thing for the filly, but the emmotions had gotten the better of her, getting her hopes up so high, then she saw them jsut whispering, no doubt teasing and laughing the same as DT and SS did... she had put on a brave face for so long, finally, her mask slipped, when even strangers would laugh at her like this... all those times she had shoved off the pain were finalyl crashing back down on her, she was literally shaking and crying as she ran, her mind flashing through all those memories as she went...

Archived