(Ponyville) Just a normal... RUN! RUN AWAY! (Open)

Ashton

Tehengu gave a hum at Night's words, though before he could respond, Scootaloo spoke up, giving them no chance to respond before she ran off crying. The griffon looked at the fleeing filly for a moment before sighing and lifting into the air.

"Come on, let's go get her." He said to Night before taking off towards the filly. When he caught up, he dived down to pick her up and take her up into the air. He held the filly around the midsection so they were facing each other, and he sighed again before speaking.

"Listen, kid, I know you most likely have been teased plenty, but believe me when I say that me and Night are only trying to help. We were only whispering as we tried to figure out what was keeping you from flying." Tehengu said, looking her in the eye.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Night was trying to think of what to do next with Tehengu, she happened to see that Scootaloo sad, saying that the two or for that matter all adults couldn't or wouldn't help her. Suddenly the filly broke into a run, to somewhere other than where Night and Tehengu were. Perhaps their whispering brought up a bad memory of somepony whispering nasty things behind the filly's back. If there was one thing the former Lunar Guard disliked it was somepony being a bully!

"Come on, let's go get her."

Night nodded and took off, her flying skills easily catching up to the running Scootaloo. Tehengu was there first an picked the filly up so that she could run away again. 

"Listen, kid, I know you most likely have been teased plenty, but believe me when I say that me and Night are only trying to help. We were only whispering as we tried to figure out what was keeping you from flying." 

"Let me explain a little about me Scootalloo," she said turning her body while in flight so the orange Pegasus could get a glimpse of her silver kite shaped shield cutie mark, "See my cutie mark? I got that when I was defending a pony around your age years ago from bullies. That's why I decided to become a Lunar Guard, so that nopony could feel threatened or hurt. So the last thing I'd do, and I'm sure Tehengu would as well, is upset you. I'm sorry if our whispering brought up a memory of you being bullied but believe me we are definitely trying to figure things out. So will you trust us that we wouldn't intentionally upset you and we'll try the best we can to find out why you're not flying?" 

For a split instance another emotion flickered through scootaloo's eyes as she was caught, looking for a split-instant scared since she couldn't fly, and also it was a bit cruel or itonic, but those lasted only an instant or less since her mind was preoccupied... she took a deep breath, trying to calm down and force her proverbial mask back into place to hide the tears and other painful emotions - something she no doubt learned from her idol... 

After a few moments scootaloo had calmed down and looked at the two of them, the moist trails still traced through the fur under her eyes, giving her a very innocent and pitiful appearance "Promise?" she asked "all the other foals tease me, well 'cept Applebloom and Sweetiebelle... I even hear the adults talking about it a lot when they see me... I dont even see many pegasai foals because they spend all their time in the sky" she looked upwards, as if expecting to see pegasai foals playing up there so close but so far out of reach too... of course there were none, but it showed that scotoaloo had not managed to get her mask all the way up and was still being at least partly open and subsequently allowing herself to be vulnerable, a huge sign of trust since even with her closest friends she rarely let that mask slip...

She was silent a moment before speaking again "If you promise to help, I'll trust you" she said "please dont show em my loyalty was mispalced" yes, the two might not actually be related, but being the unofficial sister/daughter/whatever of the living incarnation of loyalty had left a mark on the filly, she was reluctant to give out her trust and loyalty, but no doubt once given, only death itself would revoke it --- and possibly not even the reaper himself was strong enough....

Tehengu looked over at Night as she began speaking as well, trying to calm the filly down. After she finished, he turned his gaze back to Scootaloo as she began speaking, and he waited patiently for her to be finished. He sighed sadly as Scootaloo looked up into the sky, about to say something, though she continued before he could.

"I promise, I'm only trying to help you. I don't like bullies, especially the ones that tease about something you were born with. I said I would help you with this, and I will. I don't break my word easily or lightly." He said seriously before descending back to the ground and setting the filly on her hooves, then landing in front of her. "We just have to figure out what it is that's keeping you grounded, and then work through it."

Night could see the mask that the filly wore of trying to be tough falling away as she was caught by Tehengu, now looking frightened as she couldn't fly. There was much on Scootaloo's mind as she explained, the bullying her got from ponies her age, the way adults looked at her and not having the opportunity of meeting Pegesai her age. There was a comment she made about loyalty and not having her trust misplaced. Although it seemed odd bringing this up it was something that the filly treasured and would not break.

"I promise as well that I'm trying to help you and I won't hurt your trust. I also value trust as much as I value protecting others. So Scootaloo, will you trust us that we will keep your trust?" 

There was still a moment of hesitation, which one might construe as a good thing since it meant the filly didn't give out her trust and loyalty willy-nilly, but finally she nodded "Remember you promised though" she said as she took a moment to try and compose herself, forcing her metaphorical mask back into place, after a moment she wiped the tears from her eyes "So where do we start?" she asked "I know that trying to make my wings stronger hasn't really helped me any, so what else is there?" it might come as a surprise that the pegasus was apparently fully ignorant of her own magical nature, but given the fact she was orphaned at a young age she likely never got taught more than the absolute basics - in short she knew what pegasai could do but not how they did it. (Which also spoke volumes about how "seriously" her idol took their role in her life...)

((FWIW, in my headcanon it isn't so much that dash never wanted to teach scoots, but more the filly didn't ask and Dash's ADHD kept her from ever realizing it. My interpretation is that if asked Dash would be more than glad to teach scoots about pegasai magic --- but someone has to point it out first... only halfway relevant, of course, but it's still a starting point of the explanation on scoots' end "Why hasn't Dash taught you all this?" "er... um... I... I never thought about it, I could ask her to, couldn't I? *embarrassed laugh*" --- or alternately "I could never ask that, then she'd know I didn't know!" given Scootaloo's idolization of Rainbow and not wanting to dissapoint her...))

"Of course." Tehengu said as Scootaloo told him to remember that he promised. He wasn't going to go back on this promise if he could help it. The large griffon watched as the filly dried her eyes and put an emotional mask up. He gave a hum at Scootaloo's question, giving a look to Night for a moment.

"Well, I think it might be something wrong with your magic, or whatever. I think that's part of what allows you pegusi to fly." He said, making it obvious he didn't know too much about the magic that went into it either. He looked at Night again for confirmation on that part, letting her get what she wanted to say in.

"Definitely," Night said in response to Scootaloo's reminder. Now the mare had to help the filly fly, something that she considered more and more a bigger challenge than she imagined. While she drilled Pegasus ponies to use their flight for combat this was something entirely different, going back to the most basic level of learning to fly. She wondered what brought the filly to this state. Was it truly a lack of Pegesai magic, training, or both?

"You are correct Tehengu, everypony has magic in them and a Pegasus's magic involves flight and interacting with the elements like weather and clouds. Not sure really how it works with a griffon but I assume it's the same thing with magic aiding in flight. Actually, speaking of clouds this gives me an idea."

The mare took off and finding the nearest cloud to the group lowered it so it hovered just a few feet off the air.

"Ok, so this will be to test how much magic you have control of right now Scootaloo. What I'm going to do is pick you up and set you on this cloud. Tehengu, if she somehow falls off or through the cloud try to catch her."

With that the mare carefully lifted the orange Pegasus up a few feet and set her on the cloud, waiting to see what would happen as she let go of her.

Scootaloo gave them a bired look and stood there, even bouncing around to prove she wouldn't  fall through --- though that also showed that, unlike other pegasai, who triggeres clouds to release rain, lightning, or disapate when bounced upon, scootaloo seemed to be limited entirety to just standing on them... and looked like she might have sank just a tiny bit deeper than normal. However she was in absolutely no danger of falling through 

"Magic?" She asked in awed confysion "i have hagic? Like making things float or casting dpells?" Clearly she had no clue about her dpecies past the basics... this might take a while....

Tehengu nodded as Night came back with the cloud and came back to test Scootaloo's magic. He stood near the cloud to catch the filly should  she fall through, though it was proven unnecessary as the filly did not fall through and simply stood there. He gave a hum to himself as he watched the filly bounce up and down a bit on the cloud.

"Not quite. I believe pegasus magic is limited to flight and manipulating clouds and weather and such. You appear to have some cloud manipulation, in the sense that you are able to walk on it." He said, looking at the cloud. "How about you try breaking the cloud like the other pegusi on weather duty do?" He said, looking back to Scootaloo.

Despite her expression as she bounced up and down, Night needed to see for herself the extent of Scootaloo's abilities, and the only way was to test things out. To her relief the Pegasus did have some magic in her enough to remain on a cloud without falling through, although this was the magic that most Pegasus foals had when born as otherwise it would be difficult for a family living in places like Cloudsdale to stay there. What shocked the mare the most was that Scootaloo had no idea how magic worked! Didn't somepony teach her like this Rainbow Dash or her parents. 

"I'm surprised that you haven't learned about magic. Surely somepony taught you about it? Well, each pony type has different types of magic. The kind of magic you mentioned is what unicorns can do, like moving objects and spell casting. Pegesai like us are attuned to the sky and weather, allowing us to move clouds, and use them to create weather like rain or snow. Earth ponies are tied to creating things and nature, like growing or building things. That's a really basic understanding to it, but basically everyponyy has a certain level of magic in them. That sounds like a good idea Tehengu. How about you give it a try Scootaloo?" 

Scootaloo listened "Like Rainbw Dash does!" she said with a grin, she hopped down and looked at the cloud critically, walking up, stepping back, stepping forward, making a big deal out of her position, then she gave it a swift kick... which caused it to start gliding accross the ground...

Scootall giggled "It's a giant Cloudball game" she snickered, momentarily forgetting what she was doing, though all too soon it came back to her and her smile faded as she realized she had only moved the cloud "...I failed, didn't I...?" she asked, sounding downtrodden. Clearly this all meant a lot to the foal and the more she 'failed' the more it hurt...

Tehengu watched as the filly made a big deal of positioning herself before giving the cloud a kick. He raised an eyebrow as the cloud didn't dissipate, instead floating across the ground. He gave a hum to himself, looking from the cloud back to the filly, who seemed sad that she hadn't managed to break the cloud up.

"Well... You can move clouds, but not break them... I think your problem with flying comes from a problem with your magic. Maybe we should get someone who knows a bit more about magic to help out here." The griffin said, looking at Night after he had finished.

Night was happy to see Scootaloo so excited in trying to bust the cloud. It was a little unsettling how the filly compared her successes and failures to Rainbow Dash, which made any bad attempts sting even worse. She watched as Scootaloo took time positioning herself to kick the cloud and when she did it didn't break but floated away a short distance as if the cloud was like a ball. 

"I agree with Tehengu," Night said, "While physically you look like you have the power to break a cloud, there is something amiss with the magical part of it. Since you know Ponyville more than we do, can you think of anypony skilled in magic that can help assist us Scootaloo?"

Scootaloo grinned "Yeah! Rainbow Dash!" she said, excited "I bet she knows everything about that pegasus magic stuff!" it was obvious that Scootaloo was going to answer 'rainbow dash' first to every single question, no matter how obtuse it made the answer... of course if she was reminded that this wasn't 'normal' pegasus magic, then she might come up with a better answer

((Honestly, I was trying to avoid Twiley because, of all the characters, as the incarnation of magic itself, I think she's almsot garunteed to be able to fix this (at least temporarily) --- of course we could always go to trixie and make it a 'deal with the devil' that involes it being fixed... by using a spell that Casts From Hitpoints....))

Tehengu gave a sigh as Scootaloo suggested they go to Rainbow for help, claiming the mare knew everything about pegasus magic. He rubbed his face for a second before he began speaking.

"Kid, even if she did know about how pegasus magic worked, I doubt she would know what to do about your magic. It would probably be better to go to a unicorn, or some kind of pegasus doctor. Or both." He said, looking at the filly again. "I know you look up to Rainbow, but from what you've told us, and what I've seen around town, she isn't really the type to be book smart. I don't think she would be much help in this case outside moral support."

(Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Trixie showing up as I never RPed with her. Personally Lore Weaver who lives in Ponyville isn't a doctor so he'd be doing lots of trial and error based on books he read rather than anything super effective.) 

It took only a short time for Scootaloo to state who she thought would help her the best: Rainbow Dash. It was one thing to be a Pegasus gifted with flying but it was another to know how magic worked in a pony. Plus the Pegasus seemed to be a little too clingy to the rainbow manned mare for her taste. Night of course knew about Princess Twilight living in Ponyville, but the Princess might be too busy to assist the filly. 

"Kid, even if she did know about how pegasus magic worked, I doubt she would know what to do about your magic. It would probably be better to go to a unicorn, or some kind of pegasus doctor. Or both." He said, looking at the filly again. "I know you look up to Rainbow, but from what you've told us, and what I've seen around town, she isn't really the type to be book smart. I don't think she would be much help in this case outside moral support."

"I agree that while this Rainbow Dash might be a talented flier, she might not know how magic in a Pegasus works. It's one thing to practice it like breaking a cloud or making it rain but it's another thing to know how to treat magical issues. Can you think of maybe a unicorn that could help? I know you seem leery of going to visit Princess Twilight but surely there are other talented unicorns or Pegesai who know about magic."

Scootaloo opened ehr mouth toretort, clearly about to claim that dash knew *everything* or something similarly silly, but thankfully it seemed her brain kicked in finally and over-rode her fangirlishness. She sighed "Well... I suppose we can go to Trixie, she's the court magician, she must be pretty smart... she defeated and ursa major before!" she said, having never forgotten trixie's story, and somehow managed to sleep through the whole ursa-minor incident "she lives at the castle with Twilight" explained the filly, possibly suprising them with how informal she was with the *princess*!

Trixie... Well, at least she could probably help. She still had to answer for letting fillies finding something as dangerous as those cards. He nodded a bit, briefly wondering about the missing title when she mentioned Twilight, but he just glossed over that.

"Alright, we can go find this Trixie. Hopefully she can help." Tehengu said, smiling a bit at the filly. "I suppose we should start looking at the castle, then. Unless you know somewhere more likely to find her at."

Night at first thought that Scootaloo would rebuff the idea of going to somepony else instead of Rainbow Dash, but then the filly blurted out a name of a unicorn that ironically lived in the same castle as Princess Twilight Sparkle. The name sounded familiar to her, like somepony told her about the pony named Trixie, but the former Lunar Guard never met her personally, same as Rainbow Dash. 

"I agree that the castle might be a good choice, but you seem to know more about her than we do Scootaloo." 

Scootaloo nodded, glad she was usefull for soemthing! "Yeah, she's normally at the castle, unless she gets are sad and mopey and depressed, then she goes to ehr old wagon in the everfree" explained the filly as she started walking to the castle "Trixie used to be a traveling entertainer, she did this awesome show here, but sometime that night she and Twilight got into a fight, so Trixie came back a year later to try and enslave us... Twilight did something... I dnot know what... but after she defeated trixie, and as the unicorn puts it 'saved trixie from herself' she changed... I mean just when she looks at Twilight, she's not angry and mean anymore, she... she has these strange warm eyes that seem to linger especially on Twilight's cutiemark, I think twilight did soemthing to her, there's a spell for that right? makes ponies be nice to you like that?" she was starting to ramble a bit

Well, that was a lot of information, but Tehengu didn't complain, and instead gave a small smile to Scootaloo before he began to speak.

"To the castle then, since that seems the best place to find her. Come on, you two." He said, about to take off into the sky when he paused, looking back at the filly. He decided not to fly, simply beginning to walk with the other two. He really hoped they could help the filly, he would hate to have Scootaloo stuck on the ground with no way to fly by herself.

Night Watcher was usually good with following ponies when speaking with her, an essential tool when trying to understand what she needed to do. Following the filly as she spoke about this pony though proved to be difficult as she covered lots of things at once. From what it sounded like Trixie was once not the nicest pony but now changed her ways. In the former Lunar Guard's eyes ponies always had the opportunity for a second chance and to change their ways. True there was the danger of reverting back to their own ways, but more often that not Night saw ponies be comfortable to adapting after seeing the error of their ways. 

"Yes, it sounds like the castle is the best place to start. I wouldn't risk going into the Everfree Forest unless we have to." 

Like Tehengu, she was about to take flight as was her usual way to get places quickly, but she remembered Scootaloo and she might feel worse seeing two she trusted taking to the air. So she walked with the filly towards the crystalline castle in the distance. 

"So Scootaloo, has Ponyville been your home your entire life?" 

Scootaloo didn't comment on going into the everfree to look for trixie's wagon, after all she'd done that herself more than once, both before AND after trixie came back...

"well... kinda..." said Scootaloo "I kinda vaguely remember living in cloudsdale back when my dad was alive" she said "but he quickly moved us down here since... well..." her wings quivered apprehensivly, clearly it was because of her lack of flight "and then he worked himself to death to try to make up for everything... he couldn't understand that I was ok with not having a lot of bits as long as he was there... he never learned, but I know he did all he coudl for me... I still miss him" she said, sighing, making it take only the tiniest bit of deduction to realize that scootaloo was an orphan, despite not having any real power of actual clouds a proverbial stormcloud seemed to have settled over scootaloo now that she had started thinking about her lost parents...

up ahead the pair would see the massive crystaline structure growing ever closer, though unlike most other castles there were no guards around --- of course twilight honestly still would be living in her tree-house-library given the choice, she might have learned to like the castle but it was still huge and forboding (not to mention easy to get lost in) and she didn't want to further emphasize it by having guards there... of course she also didn't want to emphasize her status either, so really everything worked out nicely in that respect.

Tehengu walked along in silence as he listened to Scootaloo's response to Night's question. An orphan... that was unfortunate... The griffon walked in solemn silence now, trying to think of some way to cheer up the sad filly beside him. He didn't really have time to come up with anything before the castle came into view, however.

"Well... It looks like we're almost to the castle now... I'm sorry to hear about your parents." He said, looking down to Scootaloo for a moment. His parents were still alive, but he had known another orphan in his squad back when he was in the military... And now he was sad too... Thinking about his squad always got him like this, no matter how much time had passed.

Archived