(Ponyville) Just a normal... RUN! RUN AWAY! (Open)

Ashton

Night never imagined that Scootaloo would be in such dire straits when she asked where the filly lived. The mare shook her head as her ears flattened hearing that not only the Pegasus grew up in Cloudsdale, an unsettling fact given that she could not fly, but that her dad passed on after the two of them moving to Ponyville. Night though better than to ask about Scootaloo's mother as doing so would open up old wounds even further. As she listened, her mind mulled over the situation. No wonder why the filly didn't know about magic and flying and why she sought the attention and affection of older ponies like this Rainbow Dash. It was beyond the fact that she needed to learn how to fly, she needed somepony to care for and about her!

The black Pegasus had parents, but hearing Scootaloo made her think about a time when she rebelled against them, going as far as to threaten to run away. To lose something like parents was unimaginable to her! Although the mare put on a tough exterior when being in the military her soft side shown through as she could see how sad the filly was!

"I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and bringing up the past like that. The last thing I wanted to do is hurt you Scootaloo. You have someplace to stay, right?"

In her attention to the filly Night almost forgot about where they were going until she found herself standing before the castle. It was hard to imagine that this castle simply sprung from the ground or the fact that with no guards around it left it very vulnerable to attack. Granted all the Princesses were capable of handling themselves very well but still it was a worry to Night having grown up in a climate where dozens of guards were ready to protect Canterlot.

"I see we're here. Let's go find this Trixie."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scootaloo managed a sad smile "Thanks" she said "it's been a while, it's not as bad as it used to be" she explained "I have a few places that I stay when I have to" clearly dodging the question, not wanting to explain to them that she often slept under the deck of the horsehoe cafe - her greatest shame... "If it makes you feel better, I never met my mother" she sighed hard "it's my fault she's gone... she couldn't take the strain of whelping me..." a few tears leaked from scootaloo's eyes, though she held herself back from outright crying - even though she had said it was not as bad now, clearly the pain in that statement really resonated - scootaloo blamed herself for her mother's death...

As they entered, they would likely notied a large door slightly open and see PRincess twilight inside, sitting at a table with a lot of papers she was going over... well... it was closer to say she was ignoring them since ehr head was down on the table and she clearly had dozed off... again... it was suprisingly hard for the studius unicorn when she had to pull all-nighters nearly all the time now... why she didn't hire anyone to help her was almsot unfathomable... of course arguably she had Trixie, but then clearly the unicorn didn't do much in the way of paperwork... 

Scootaloo smiled a tiny smile, glad to see something comical after that discussion "trixie's probably down in her lab" she said, her demenor still dark and gloomy though....

The filly's mother died in childbirth... Well, that didn't help his mood any, not that he expected anything coming from this discussion to be very cheerful. Tehengu tried to comfort Scootaloo a bit with a gentle pat on her back from his wing.

"Don't blame yourself for that, Scootaloo. There was no way for you to have changed anything, and you didn't actually do anything to cause it." He said, his own sadness coming through in his voice. He couldn't imagine never knowing his mother, she had always been there, and still was.

They were in the castle now though, and they should probably get off that topic anyways. The griffon nodded at Scootaloo's words about where Trixie probably was, looking around as he tried to figure out what direction that would be. 

"This... This is my first time in here... Perhaps you should lead the way." He said, looking back to Scootaloo.

It was clear that the conversation was unsettling for the filly as she dodged the question as to where she lived. The tragedies weighed heavily on Scootaloo and seemed to get worse the more that Night spent with her. 

"Sometimes Scootaloo we have bad things happen to us or to others, things that we can't explain why they happened. But you mustn't blame yourself for your mother or your father's demise. As Tehengu said, there was nothing that could be done by you to fix things. If we dwell on the past too long, espeeciallyy the bad moments, it will consume us with regret. Instead look to what you are doing now as this is the only moment you have control over." 

As they entered the spacious castle, Night Watcher couldn't help but gaze at the awe around her. She had been in the Castle in Canterlot before many times, but this was a sight to behold on another level. She then caught the sound of somepony snoring and as the trio proceeded down the hall the Lunar Guard could see Princess Twilight Sparkle asleep at a desk. The mare wondered if she had spent the entire night at that desk, having no sleep until her body gave out on her. 

"I agree that you should take us to Trixie. Do you visit the castle often Scootaloo?" 

Scootaloo just ramained quiet a few moments later, leading the way "...yeah, my friends and I come here once a week for 'Twilight Time' where Twilight helps us try to earn our cutiemarks, even if I think she may be a little crazy -mine will obviously be an awesome flying mark- it's fun and I'm learning a lot about how things work, and AB's learning to do magic potion making, and SB's soon going to be flying on her broom" she snickered, but the humor quickly died as she was brought back to the subject at hand "...yeah, it's in the bacement, Trixie's not allowed to expariment in twiligt's lab after that last creature escaped... how trixie accidentally gave life to a cookie-jar filled with bugs is anypony's guess" she said as she lead them down a hallway, soon turning and starting down a long flight of stairs.

As they went down they would hear the sound of magical blasts and hornbeams, as well as a non-pony evil laugh... suprisingly scootaloo didn't seem to think anything unusual about this... which made it all the more creepy...

((amusingly there's actually a very good reason that trixie's lab is deep down underground, but that's not going to be address here ;) just a nice tidbit to think about...))

Tehengu followed the filly as she led them towards Trixie's lab. He spotted the snoozing princess, and couldn't help but smile a little at the sight. He said nothing though as they continued on, listening to what Scootaloo was saying about her time in the castle learning under Twilight. As they descended further, it became clear something was happening in the lab, and it sounded like a battle of sorts was taking place. Scootaloo didn't seem worried, but the griffon still glanced over at Night before drawing his knife, holding it in one talon while he used the other to continue walking.

It was interesting to know why Scootaloo knew so much of the castle as she and her friends spent much of their time learning from Princess Twilight about their potential talents. To have such a bond with the Princess was a rare and wonderful experience and hopefully the filly would treasure it no matter where life took her. As they made their decent, Night could hear the sounds of blasts of magic and evil laughter. Tehengu drew his dagger as Night prepared for the worst, especially hearing how Trixie seemed to bring strange creatures to life. She could only hope that the unicorn in the lab was safe and they could reach her in time. 

Scootaloo looked unconcerned as they reached the bottom of the stair and she pushed open the door.

Inside in most of the lab were tables filled with potions and spells, and jars, crystals, wands, books, it was only slightly organized...

and at the far end was Trixie, facing off with a tiny imp-like monster, more than a few scorch marks on the walls nearby and trixie glaring at it with gritted teeth and flared nostrils... though if the others rushed forward they woudl impact a very solid, though invisible, magical barrior.

"Hey Zub!" said Scootaloo

The imp waved and let out a oddly cute and friendly sound

"Still trying to vanquish your inner demons, Trixie?" asked Scootaloo

"Trixie will vanquish her inner demons, Especially this pest ZubZub!" she exclaimed

ZubZub just laughed, pointing at trixie mockingly

Scootaloo looked at the others "she does this a lot, I guess this is how a pony 'confronts their inner demons?'" she said, a little confused about it herself...

((ZubZub image))

imp.jpg

first (and only) semi-cute one I found))

((REAlly... bucking... hate... dialup users... because of them I spent 30 minutes trying to get that image to appear... despise the fact that cantelot is still "dialup friendly" in this day and age...))

Tehengu was on edge the rest of the way down the stairs, ready to spring into action when the danger came in sight. As they entered the lab though, he blinked a little bit. That thing was what Trixie was fighting? He snickered a little bit, putting his knife away. It didn't seem that there was truly any danger in here.

"Well, this is the first time I've seen that saying taken literally." He said after Scootaloo had spoken. He then looked over at Trixie again before speaking. "When you're done playing with that thing, we'd like to get your help with something."

The tension was rising as Night reached the bottom of the stairs, ready for whatever danger would be on the other side. When it came to magic the Pegasus knew it could be practically anything: a creature unleashed, a spell gone awry, something made sentient. She wondered the ability of Trixie is something was loose in the basement. Opening the door however presented an impish character that Scootaloo knew well. It was actually Trixie's inner demon that she was literally fighting only not to be worried about. The mare relaxed and watched as the creature interacted with Scootaloo. 

"I haven't actually seen a pony facing their inner demons literally either, but it does work facing your troubled head on," she said to Scootaloo before turning to Trixie, "So, you are Trixie that Scootaloo has told me about." 

"TRixie is not playing! Trixie _will_ defeat him!"

Zubzub laughed, pointing at her mockingly, smirking evilly as a fireball began to form atop his extended clawed finger

Scootaloo sighed "Trixie, we wanted to talk to you, cant you two fight later?" asked scootaloo

Trixie sighed "fine" she said as her horn glowed

Zubzub blew a raspberry at trixie as he started to vanish, waving a frendly goodbye to scootaloo though

Scoota smirked and waved back as the little imp vanished

the unicorn lowered the barrier "Trixie is sorry that you all had to watch that insufferable creature, what can trixie do for you fine ponies and griffen?" she asked with a smile, pausing at Night "Oh, what has Scootaloo said of trixie? Has she told you how Great and Powerfull Trixie is?" she asked, placing her hoof against her chest and closing her eyes a moment, not a trace of medesty visible in the mare...

Scootaloo rolled her eyes but snickered too

Tehengu sighed slightly at Trixie's attitude, but said nothing about it, ignoring the words about what Scootaloo told them of the unicorn. That wasn't important at the moment anyways.

"Trixie, focus." He said, watching her as he continued. "We think something's wrong with Scootaloo's magic, and that's why she can't fly. Obviously, we wouldn't be much help with a problem like that, so we came to you. Can you help Scootaloo fly, please?" He said, getting right to business.

While his original statement was firm, his request held nothing but sincerity. He really wanted to be able to help the filly, but he couldn't, so now he had to get someone who could help to do it.

It was a little unnerving walking into a room where Trixie was doing battle with a creature that somehow was suppose to be part of herself. The last thing she wanted to see was somepony get caught in the fray of the battle. But thankfully Trixie relented and the creature vanished. Something did strike the black Pegasus as interesting if not a little unnerving about the unicorn before her. Trixie had an ego that she was not shy at hiding. 

"Oh, what has Scootaloo said of trixie? Has she told you how Great and Powerfull Trixie is?" 

Trixie, focus." He said, watching her as he continued. "We think something's wrong with Scootaloo's magic, and that's why she can't fly. Obviously, we wouldn't be much help with a problem like that, so we came to you. Can you help Scootaloo fly, please?" 

"Exactly what Tehengu said, we met Scootaloo and she wants to learn how to fly but after doing a few tests found that it might be something with her magic that is preventing me from doing so. As a Pegasus like her I can understand that there is this issue but I can't correct it. So Scootaloo named you as a pony that could help. So will you help us help her?"

"Oh that's all?" asked trixie "Trixie has a spell for this" she said, pulling out a black spellbook with green and purple highlights and symbols, but... it somehow felt just... _wrong_ on a very base level, there was somethign severely twisted and wrong with the book.. "It will let you fly easily, but for every second you spend in the air, it will shorten your lifespan by two seconds" she explained

"Really?!" asked scootaloo with a grin "you can make me fly?" as usuall with a foal she didn't even pause to consider the implications of the spell trixie desctibed...

Tehengu gave a sigh of relief as Trixie said she had a spell to help Scootaloo. Good, he wouldn't want to have to tell the filly there was nothing he could do. He froze as he saw the book though, something about it was just wrong, and what she said next only reinforced that. He growled slightly, stepping inbetween Scootaloo and Trixie, staring the unicorn down.

"No. I will not allow you to use a spell like that, especially not on a filly." He said, his voice firm, not allowing any arguments on the point. "Now, do you have a way to help her without killing her?"

For a moment Night was relieved that Trixie had the answer to the Pegasus's plight but then she saw the spell book and a worry overtook her. Although she was not a unicorn the mare knew when something of a magical nature wasn't right. She developed this intuition after years of raids on those seeking to disrupt the harmony of Equestria using dark magic or artifacts. She wished it was more based off of having a knowledge of the nature of magic rather than intuition alone but her pony type only gave her such a status. The book certainly didn't look like one found in a library, glowing with an odd light. 

"It will let you fly easily, but for every second you spend in the air, it will shorten your lifespan by two seconds" 

"No. I will not allow you to use a spell like that, especially not on a filly." He said, his voice firm, not allowing any arguments on the point. "Now, do you have a way to help her without killing her?" 

"Why did you even consider that a viable option using that spell Trixie?" Night said firmly before turning to Scootaloo and saying, "I know it sounds good flying with that spell but think about how much you'd be flying. You don't want to be risking your life like that. I'm sure Trixie has something better that will help you to fly but not cause something like losing moments from your life." 

The mare smiled as she put the book up "Trixie is pleased and impressed" she said "had you not hesitated, trixie woudl have known you had ill will towards the filly -even if some of it she earns- and trixie woudl have had to do... bad things to do" she said, deciding not to elaborate in front of scootaloo

"...I'll still take it!" said scootaloo

Trixie stopped in mid act and blinked "what?"

"I dont care, if it shortens my life then that's a brgain, I'd give everything, I'd give my whole llife if it meant being able to fly with rainbow. To have her say she's proud of me, instead of looking for anyplace to run off to when she sees me... to have her happy and care... to hear... jsut once... that she loves me..." scootaloo looked at the ground, a few tears welling up, clearly her desire for Dash's acceptance was even deeper than the others had guessed... it was less like a mentor or even a sister, scootaloo was felling like a foal neglected by her mother...

Trixie looked shocked "...I.. I... I dont know what to say" she said, showing hoe genuine she was by slipping out of third-pony. the filly had really touched her.

Tehengu stared Trixie down as Night spoke. When Trixie spoke again though, the griffon relaxed a bit, though he didn't move from his spot. He looked back at Scootaloo as the filly spoke, just as speechless as Trixie at first. After a couple seconds, he sighed to himself.

"Kid, I know flying is important to you, but believe me, rushing into something like this is not something you want to do. This option isn't going away just because you don't accept right away. You should see what other options you have, save this for a last resort." He said, looking at the filly. He still wasn't willing to let that spell be cast, but he figured that wasn't what the filly wanted to hear.

Night alternated her gaze between Scootaloo and Trixie, keeping a close eye on the later pony. She wasn't sure that she could trust a unicorn that offered such a dangerous bargain right from the start, and even more so wondered how Twilight could allow things like to happen in her own castle! But Trixie relented explaining that it was basically a test, not for the filly but to Night and Tehengu to see how devoted they were in their attempt to help Scootaloo. It seemed they passed the test but then when Night felt all was well Scootaloo surprised them all. 

"...I'll still take it!" said scootaloo

"What?" Night exclaimed as she noticed Tehengu and even Trixie were surprised. 

"I dont care, if it shortens my life then that's a brgain, I'd give everything, I'd give my whole llife if it meant being able to fly with rainbow. To have her say she's proud of me, instead of looking for anyplace to run off to when she sees me... to have her happy and care... to hear... just once... that she loves me..." 

Now it was clear to Night as her suspicions came to view. This wasn't just about her being able to fly, it was about being accepted in a world where she didn't quite seem to be accepted into and to feel love from Rainbow Dash. 

"Scootaloo, I know you wanted to be accepted, but giving your life is not thee right thing to do. I'm sure that this Rainbow Dash wouldn't want that to happen either if she truly cares for you. Being accepted isn't about what talent you have or how good you can fly but about your personality. So listen to Tehengu and I when I say to consider some other way rather than accept that offer."

((what's interesting to think about is if Scootaloo actually got her wish, then just what kind of mother would RD be? Considering recent episodes... I think scootaloo is better off on the streets... though on the other paw, sometimes becoming a parent suddenly causes someone to mature incredibly fast for the child's sake. I honestly don't know which would happen... though on another level, I think scootaloo would be horrified, as one of my favorite quotes goes "We put our heros on pedestals, but a single blow can shatter the hollow foundation and bring our heros down to look us in the eye"))

Trixie sighed "I'm sorry, but that's not a spell I have to give, it never was"

Scootaloo hung her head

"...trixie is even more dissapointed than ever..." said the unicorn "...and more enraged... this... Rainbow Dash... deserves to answer for her crimes against this filly..." though it was clear she was only venting, her devotion to foals was heartwarming

"No! Dont you hurt her!" said scootaloo, unable to determine the difference between venting and actual malign intent

Trixie looked mildly suprised, despite the rainbow mare's neglect for this filly, scootaloo was more than willing to defend her... suprising, and perhaps misplaced, loyalty.

Tehengu looked at Trixie as she spoke again, saying that she never had a spell like that before going into how Rainbow should answer for what she had done to Scootaloo. The griffon raised an eyebrow at that, looking at the filly after her outburst.

"I agree that she could be doing better with Scootaloo, but that is not the issue right now. We will be speaking later, about what you did." He said, giving the unicorn a look that brokered no arguments. "For now though, what do you actually have to help Scootaloo?" He finished, watching Trixie.

He was kind of worried about how deep this obsession over Rainbow went in the filly. Looking up to someone was great, depending on who it was, but hero worship was not a good thing. It seemed she had Rainbow on a high pedestal, and once it fell, what would happen to the filly?

What surprised Night was the fact the spell that Trixie claimed to have never existed. It truly was all a test by the unicorn and nothing more. Night relaxed a little hearing that at least in this respect Trixie wasn't dabbling in dangerous magic. Her attention though then turned to Scootaloo who despite hearing that it was all a test now revealed the fact that everything was done to please Rainbow Dash. 

"Let me give you a little advice about heroes Scootaloo," Night said getting down at eye level with the filly, "I know you want to be like this Rainbow Dash, maybe because she's a great flyer in your opinion or maybe that you want somepony in your life that's a mom or a sister to you. But you have to understand that nopony is perfect. Everypony has their strengthens, weaknesses, and faults. No matter how prideful or powerful a pony is, deep down all they want are friends not followers. Besides that, you need to be your own pony, not a filly version of Rainbow Dash, ok? Just be yourself and there's no need to compare who you are to others." 

"...Now your all jsut being mean to me!" said scootaloo "I thought you were going to help me!" she turend and ran

Trixie sighed "this always happens when anypony starts trying to tell her that her idol is not perfect" she said, waiting a moment, then her horn glowed and several wisps of dark energy flowed out of her and collected to form... yes, it WAS ZubZub!

"Go find scootaloo" said trixie

The imp said something and lit a fire on it's finger, grinning

"Not now! Go find her or I wont ever let you out to cause mischief again!" frowned trixie

ZubZub grumbled but headed out to find the filly

Trixie looked at the others "I dont know what to say" she said, her flamboyance gone, along with her 3rd-pony speak, showing that this was serious "I honestly dont know that I have anything that will really help her fly... and I dont know if a magical solution is even what she needs right now... I think she wants to fly for all the wrong reasons" she said sadly

"Scootaloo!" The griffon called as the filly ran off. He started after her, looking back to see Trixie summoning that imp from earlier to go find the filly. He sighed to himself, but moved back into the room. Really, that filly seemed a little too fixated on Rainbow.

"I promised to help her, and I don't plan on going back on my word. Besides, once she is able to fly, we can try again with this whole hero worship thing, or just let her learn from experience." Tehengu said, sighing again. It was looking more and more difficult for Scootaloo to get help. He wasn't giving up on her though.

Night knew that Scootaloo wasn't going to like the decision that she and the others were proposing. But nothing prepared her for the fact that Scootaloo suddenly fled the basement lab. 

"Scootaloo wait..." Night said hoping to bring her back with her voice, but she knew it was in vain. She watched as the imp reemerged going to find the wayward filly. 

"I don't know what to say. I honestly don't know that I have anything that will really help her fly... and I don't know if a magical solution is even what she needs right now... I think she wants to fly for all the wrong reasons."

"I promised to help her, and I don't plan on going back on my word. Besides, once she is able to fly, we can try again with this whole hero worship thing, or just let her learn from experience." 

"Honestly even as a Pegasus like her I don't know how to help Scootaloo. But right now we've got bigger problems than that. The poor filly doesn't seem to like anything about herself, and comparing who she is to other isn't helping things. But what really disturbs me is the fact that she idolizes this pony Rainbow Dash. I don't know if she sees this mare as a friend, a mother she never had, or as something she wants to be instead of how she is. Maybe it's all of these things. One thing is for certain, I'm worried about Scootaloo being alone right now. She may run away or worse! I too made a promise to help her and I don't break promises." 

She pondered what to do next, drawing upon her military experience with search and rescue. The idea then came to her about what to do. 

"Alright, we need to split up and fan out across town. Find a place to stay in a certain part of town, one where it's open enough to get a view of large areas. I saw a park, a town square, and the train station in our travels, so we should go there. I'll take the station, and you two can decided where you want to go. If in an hour we don't find her, we'll meet back here. Sound like a plan?" 

Archived