Official Discussion Thread - S05E7 Make New Friends But Keep Discord

I think the reason that Fluttershy didn't "get" what Discord was feeling is that she tends to think the best of other's behavior.

Well to that the only thing I have to say is...

Fluttershy: Do you all think I'm a silly, gullible fool?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No person or pony is so wise that they cannot recall times when they have been foolish.  Only the foolish forget.

In any case, what it comes down to is that I'm more sympathetic towards lapses of mind than I am temper tantrums.  It is a bias, I will admit.

Oh and I hope it's clear, Fluttershy's bad behavior didn't ruin the episode for me either. I didn't like that, or the constant references, or the sudden weird concepts, or story inconsistencies, or unnecessary characters vying for screentime, or subpar characterization. But the only reason I didn't like the episode as a whole was that, aside from a few good lines, there was just very little to actually enjoy.

Wow.

I'm... not really sure what I can say here. As I have stated many times already, I am not a fan of Discord and I really can't see him as "redeemed."

I liked seeing Maud though. That made this episode refreshing for me I guess. I really don't know what to think about The Smooze. It really wasn't clear one way or the other if he's good or not. He only seemed to be focused on eating. However, I did kind of feel bad for him when Discord constantly abandoned him because of his jealousy of Fluttershy having another friend. It might have been better if I hadn't read that "History" of him on Equestria Daily, because after I read that, I was under the assumption that he would have a speaking role and I was disappointed when I heard no lines uttered from him.

I mean, maybe he's not all that bad? The only reason he got slightly out of control was because Discord wasn't keeping an eye on him, abandoned him, and was too focused on his jealousy and overreaction in general.

Discord really acted like a jerk in this one, it was good to see Fluttershy confront him on it.

I don't know. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy this episode. I'm really not. It was definitely... interesting. But that's really all I can say about it.

I just don't think this episode "clicked" with me. Was it because I'm not a fan of Discord? Possibly. I wish I knew myself.

Sorry?

:-|

*cowers in the corner in fear of angry mobs*

RE: references and those who dislike them.

Considering the whole DHX crew do/enjoy inserting references and injokes much like the writers involved do, methinks you are going to see a lot more of that now ad tome goes on. Perhaps, after this season, it could even come to pass that this just stops being a show you enjoy...or perhaps you may just come to shrug these things off with the knowledge that the team are simply having fun alongside ALL of those who watch the show by doing what they are with their work.

See the references don't bother me though as they're enough to notice them but not so many that they clog the story. 

Oh I know, but there are plenty out there who have stated that the references are an issue - I see it as the staff being more explorative and having fun with their work.

A few of them have even occasionally stated that some jokes are for the teams amusement as well as the general audience...are these people stating that the writers and DHX should not have some fun doing this?

I know that it's hard to please everyone, of course, but these writing and animating folks are willing to at least allow their enjoyment of what they do flow into the series for folks to see.

If that's being perceived as some kind of a 'problem', then it's one I'm not personally bothered with right now so long as the show continues to amuse, entertain and be charming to watch.

See the references don't bother me though as they're enough to notice them but not so many that they clog the story. 

If that's being perceived as some kind of a 'problem', then it's one I'm not personally bothered with right now so long as the show continues to amuse, entertain and be charming to watch.

But the same could be said of anything stupid in the show. Yeah, it's not gonna ruin everything, but it's still stupid and a bad sign.

That's still 'In the eye of the beholder' territory...I would say don't be so quick to judge them on this if the story and underlying show themes still hold up.

Which they do, even if sometimes pacing and quick resolutions occur - but that is to be expected from any 22 minute show...and just because this is FiM does not mean it is always an exception to that rule..

Holding it up to ridiculous standards will always, always be met with disappointment - you either expect too much, or too little...and that is not something you can do for long without burning out on things.

As real as the reflection in your mirror, I'd say. :razz:
Don't be so ready to make such responses as that though - sometimes the best way to deal with a situation you don't agree or care for is to ignore it...oh, and different views are cool, yo.

Think that's all the bases covered - we can move along from this now!

I'm not sure why making comments on my character are necessary in a thread like this - I asked to just move along...you can put down the retorts, and just agree to disagree on things I say, it's fine.

I may not agree entirely with what you say particularly, but I'm not about to claim that they make you or your views of the show invalid either - I simply state that not everyone thinks the same way you and others might.

This is not the place to draw things out into a battle of who's right, it's just a discussion over the show...let's just keep it that way.

Do people really dislike pop culture references?  I find them amusing given the spirit of the show.  FIM is comedy first and foremost, I would call it fantasy-comedy-adventure, but it definitely doesn't take itself too seriously most of the time.  Sure there are serious stories and serious themes, but even they are interspaced with humor, that is just part of the program.

I see the pop-culture stuff as the animators and writers getting to be creative, which is a good thing; don't want them working on a show that is a boring drag to produce.

Also Treehugger, you are such a subversive pothead. :P

I just see it as the animators and writers being the opposite of creative, literally the laziest kind of humor.

I feel it is another way to engage the adults of the target audience.  The show has always meant to be for young girls and the parents or guardians who watch with them.  One of the reason I like this show is that it entertains both kids and adults (well that and the cuteness, and the expressions, oh I love expressive animation).  That bit that imitated the scene from the Shining is a great example, aimed right at the parents (as I doubt even most of the brony fanbase is aware of a scene from a movie from the late Seventies).

I also notice this tends to be dialed up in Discord episodes as part of his "shtick", with was certainly inspired by Q in Next Generation pulling off similar humor (references to different time periods, cultures, etc).

I don't disagree!

There are just less lazy ways of doing it.

Like what?  I'm kind of curious, because there are obviously other methods, but for a regularly-produced 26-episode-per-season show, holding to the very highest standards every single time would burn any creative team out before very long.

If you have high standards as a minimum for enjoyment, very good!  You'll probably end up wasting less precious time overall; life's short, after all.

I myself am more easily pleased, and I think a lot of us here are as well, and as a result, I end up liking more things, and don't feel the time as wasted.  When I come to a show (like this) for light entertainment and something to enjoy together, I don't expect a weekly Pixar movie.

But the main point, really, is that none of us had a right to expect that My Little Pony would be this good at all.  That's kind of why we're all here, yeah?

Well, think. You don't appeal to the young audience with pop culture references, so why is it necessary to do the same in order to cater to older audiences?

Because they are jokes that we get that don't occupy a large percentage of screen time, which can then be dedicated to things for the main demographic.  Remember, the show is, at the end of the day, not all for us.  Not even most of it.

Also, not to put too fine a point on it, they work.  At least for me, my sister, and most IRL fans I know.

Archived