Sugar Cube Corner - Apple Cake Pie and Co. (Open)

Rosewind

Pinkie Pie was delighted to have so much help! She was usually used to running things solo since the Cakes were so busy with the Twins. She was just fine with this -- she even had bakery baking, set up, cleaning, everything down to a science. She had difficulty at first trying to figure out how to do it all, then one day, she had a stroke of Pinkie Genius; work like you're planning a party! The Cakes were forever grateful and Pinkie was happy to indulge herself in the myriad responsibilities of busy bakery life.

She turned from Maud to her super precocious assistant. "Woooow! That's amazing Apple Bloom. I never expected ya to grab it all at once! Heck, only I can manage five trays at a time! One in each hoof, one on my back, one on my tail, and one on my head! I bet Applejack would be so proud to see you right now, working hard and being super-duper responsible! Isn't she great Maud?! Hey, what is your favorite rock anyway? Glimmer seems to get you pretty well."

She turned her attention back to Inkbrand. Of course she knew him. Pinkie Pie knew everyone from here to the Crystal Empire (and beyond!). She had each and every individual filed away in her Private Party Office Pinkie Party Planning Files, though suffice to say she didn't have a lot of info on the stallion. Perhaps now was the time to complete her file on him. She grinned and winked at him back, offering up a plate of her new testcakes. "Soooooo, what's your opinion of mascarpone cheese, mmm? I personally think its melting quality is poor. It's more of a fresh-eating dessert cheese with a thesis of smooth texture as its starring role! Also what's your favorite color? Oooh, let me think a little. Umm, umm, is it black?! No! Dark grey! Er, maybe silver!" She turned to her sister. "Oh no no, you just eat the things and talk to Glimmer about rocks! I've got the very best assistant to handle stuff!"

2ccqq2h.jpg

Wind Walker was rather glad her old Canterlot friend, Cinnamon Tart was not with her. The snarky little filly was not a fan of Ponyville. She had warned the little blue Pegasus pony that the sleepy little village was a haven for bumpkins, clodhoppers and slack jawed yokels! These were the types of ponies that would force even fillies and colts into had labor! And here was poor Apple Bloom carrying several sheets of candy and a large jug all at the same time. The horror! Was she an employee at the candy store and her own family farm? How did she have enough time for both school, homework and sleep? Maybe the filly's cutie mark should be a picture of a pooped pony!

"Erm." the youngest of the Walker clan was not a fan of actual, hard work. Or even soft work. She preferred no work at all. "Not sure she needs any help, and if you try to help, you might end up causing her to drop everything. And that would be bad...Maybe we should...", her left ear caught something....interesting...

Normally she would not have bothered to care what the odd stallion would have said, as it was none of her business. But this was RAZOR business he was talking about. The pony with the never-ending supply of cutie-marks mentioned something about an 'REA mare of yours?'. Did her itty bitty griffon buddy have a GIRLFRIEND? It sure sounded like it! And it would make sense that she was somepony who was in the R.E.A. Glimmer's brother was both super brave and as tough as nails, so he would probably look for a gal that was just as tough as he. Maybe Fire hooked him up one of her fellow officers? This was exciting news, and the desire to rush the griffon and DEMAND he tell her who is very new special somepony did cross her mind, but she had already been given the 'talk' by her big sister when it came to the boy-bird. He was rather shy when it came to the lady-folks and making a big deal of this would just make things very awkward. Maybe Glimmer knew something about this.

The little bird had been distracted by the apple-filly's need to impress her, but she had to know.

"Hey Glimm..", she whispered as she tapped the Gryphlet's fuzzy shoulder, "What's this about your brother having a girlfriend? Is this true? If so, how come I didn't hear about this?"

• 2 weeks later...

AppleBloomATTEMPT3final.png

Apple Bloom was buckling under the intensity of everything she was carrying. She was a mighty strong filly but she wasn't a long one and that was proving to be her undoing over cruel moments strung together. Thankfully some ponies came to help. Maude came over and took off the heaviest bits in a flash, Apple Bloom not really wanting to say no. And why would she? Family helped family and Maude was kinda sorta maybe totally family and that was good enough for Apple Bloom. Then a griffon approached. For a moment Apple Bloom worried that she was about to give in to her carnivore’s taste and chew on Abby's blank, exposed flank, but instead she was here to help. Well, that meant Apple Bloom knew two nice griffons. And that was good, because Apple Bloom didn't want to get eaten and she still needed to get her cutie mark. Getting eaten by a silly griffon could come after that, if ever. Probably still not.

“Thanks!” Apple Bloom said to both of them, sighing contentedly as others came over to get a bite or two and she went ahead and finished the task, placing the trays of delicious goodies where it belonged. She didn't hesitate to take one herself and chow down violently. It took a full second for the taste to hit- what a terrible second- and then her eyes lit up. “Pinkie Pie, this is awesome! Why, Ah bet if you an' Applejack tried ta make this, you'd have her beat by a snout-hair,” Apple Bloom said through her bites, scarfing it down in quick order. This was turning out to be one heck of a successful day. And look at all these ponies and otherwise hanging about! Sugarcube Corner sure was a busy place today. Busier than usual and that was saying something since it was the most successful bakery in town. “Whatcha need next, Pinkie?”

Pinkie Pie may have seemed like an aloof mare, but nopony could argue she was insanely observant at any given time. She noticed quickly Apple Bloom's hesitation upon viewing the sandcat griffon. She pulled Razor into a squishy, one-armed hug, giving him a rough noogy with her free hoof. "Pfft! Razor is just a big old softie. Unless you're a wild cat chasing us in a jungle with an active volcano spewing lava everywhere...then, wooo, watch out!" It's true, the pair had been on an adventure recently, where such an event actually did happen. Pinkie Pie absolutely beamed as the young filly complimented her baking efforts.

"Baking isn't a competition, Apple Bloom. Applejack is an amazing baker! I mean think about it, the last time she and I got together to bake something, we made the entire town sick! Actually, that's a really terrible example! Uhhhmmm...hey, you know I could use more chocolate frosting! Oh yes, and I have to slice up some cakes. Also we need these racks cleared for the BBB...or 'big brownie bake!' It's pretty big! Oh yes, scone mix! Cupcakes! Piiiie! Everything we bake tomorrow has'ta be ready today!"

Pinkie Pie may have seemed like an aloof mare, but nopony could argue she was insanely observant at any given time. She noticed quickly Apple Bloom's hesitation upon viewing the sandcat griffon. She pulled Razor into a squishy, one-armed hug, giving him a rough noogy with her free hoof. "Pfft! Razor is just a big old softie. Unless you're a wild cat chasing us in a jungle with an active volcano spewing lava everywhere...then, wooo, watch out!" It's true, the pair had been on an adventure recently, where such an event actually did happen. Pinkie Pie absolutely beamed as the young filly complimented her baking efforts.

Razor was going to answer Inkbrands questions, when out of nowhere, he was grabbed up by Pinkie into a hug. His reaction was of course predictable.

"Tooclosetooclosetooclosetooclosetooclose!" He said, rather quickly as he struggled to get free from the hug. It was even worse when Pinkie started to give him a noogy.

"Hey, hey cut it out. And let me go please." Razor said, practically begging on the last part, as he tried to get out from Pinkies nooging hoof and grip. When he was finally free, he flopped onto the ground and breathed heavily, a talon over his heart. His feathers on his head were all messed up, and he was shaking.

He turned and give Pinkie a deadpan look, "Pinkie...why do you do that?"

"Hey Glimm..", she whispered as she tapped the Gryphlet's fuzzy shoulder, "What's this about your brother having a girlfriend? Is this true? If so, how come I didn't hear about this?"

Glimmer frowned, but nodded conceding to the other arguments. Still she would keep a sharp eye out, just in case.

When she saw her brother get yanked into one of Miss Pinkie Pies hugs, she couldn't help but giggle. If there was one creature in the world her brother couldn't' defeat, it was probably Pinkie Pie. She had him like putty in her hooves. Though she did roll her eyes at his usual reaction. Though she giggled none the less, as it was always funny to see Razor freaking out. 

But when Windy whispered to her, she went still and her eyes went wide.

"What?!" She gasped, whispering back to her friend, "Who said this?! Where? How? Who?"

She looked around, then at her brother and growled. Had he been keeping secrets from her? She turned to try and hear some of his conversation.

"Oh, you know," the grey Earth Pony stated helpfully, inspecting the end of one hoof with an intensity too meticulous to be casual, "even a stallion like me gets a hankering for something sweet, from time to time." Another cursory inspection of the invisible speck of dust on his hoof, before Inkbrand dragged lazy golden eyes onto the griffon in full, lips curving upwards into a sly smile. "And I'll just bet she does, eh? She seems to think you need to get out and find something sweet for your own."

And that thought abruptly reminded Inkbrand of another spectacle he'd been privy to not that long ago, causing his ears to swivel upwards like a dog on the scent. "Though that might not be necessary anymore, hmm?" the tattoo-clad stallion commented carelessly. "How're things with that REA mare of yours? 'Ya know, from the rave? Tell me you got some contact info, at least." Bucking fantastic. How Razor had managed to stay sane throughout his and Clandestine's weird, half-flanked, exploratory flirtations thing had been a complete mystery to Inkbrand. Not to mention he'd been very much occupied with an equally receptive black griffon.

Razor rubbed at his head as he got off the ground and made his way back to his table. It was going to take him hours to get his feathers all back in neat condition. He looked at Inkbrand and said, "Sorry, what? Oh yeah, Glimmer always seems to think I need to be looking...or she thinks she should do it for me."

Frankly Razor wasn't sure which would be more frightening. His sister had ways of....getting out of hand in her attempts to set him up. If it wasn't darts it would probably be some unicorn magic item or something. How and where she could get stuff like that he didn't know, but she had her ways. And she had the money for it.

"I just hope we don't have another...dart incident....though I think she's due for another scheme of hers." He said, rubbing at his rear with a wing. He just hopped it wasn't as painful.

When Inkbrand brought up the Rave, and of a certain mare, he nodded, "Yeah. I got an address. And she knows mine."

uXiE7Hqm.jpg

Visiting her old friend's from magic school was quite interesting to say the least, even if she didn't really intend to do so. Rose had once again walked through and utterly demolished a wall without meaning too for the umpteenth time this month. Okay... no more head in the clouds for this pony. Rose slowly began to lose herself in her thoughts as she tried to keep her mind focused on present and not her internal workings, not really appreciating the irony in her actions right now.

Soon there was a faint rumbling sound as one of the wall's of the sugarcube corner began to glow and tremble. The customer who was closest to this wall might have found that deep and rapidly more intense sounding rumbling behind them rather worrying, especially as all the wall behind him began to shine, shake, and tremble. Soon the sound abated and the glow faded. Outside the cause of the strange event was brought out of her trance like state of thought as she recognized this place.  

A faint smile creased her lips and her sleepy lidded eyes lifted slightly as she realized where she was, "Sugarcube Corner." Rose remembered this place. She used to visit it regularly when she was younger and still studying at the school in Canterlot to better understand her magic. She loved to visit hear and try to satisfy her rather ravenous sweet-tooth. Maybe she should stop in for old times sake? In the end she figured, 'why not?' and began to walk around to the actual entrance of the establishment, sparing the wall from almost certain destruction and the addition of a new window in the shape of the softspoken and dour looking mare.

*ding ding*

... And in she came. The tall, dusty brown coated unicorn walked into the store, and as much as that sounded like a joke setup it was just a simple entrance of another customer... albeit one who stood noticeably higher above physically then most here. The faint sound of a rather rocking tune could be heard from her headphones as she walked over to the counter. She brushed a lock of her long, scarlet, mane out of her eyes and looked over the selection, her eyes settling on a Cheese danish. "How much is that one?" she asked in her typical dull and un-enthused register, her eyes looking to the pink pony present who she assumed worked here.

Frdnlm6.png

House made out of candy? Wasn't that, like. Half of them?

…Where had she said her shop was? Buck, he couldn't remember.

Oh well, not important. Inkbrand gave a little noncommittal shrug as the brown mare continued to speak, this time expressing an interest in his markings. That alone was enough to summon a broad grin to the grey Earth Pony's face, one that only grew at her rather…intimate questions. "Hay yeah I marked myself, wasn't going to let another stallion put their tats on me," Inkbrand proclaimed proudly, folding his forelegs behind his head as he adopted a mysterious and vague expression. "And sorry dollface, but a great artist can't give away all his secrets, 'ya know."

Yeah, right.

The bits he'd had to shell out for that particular finagling of Unicorn magic had been torture, but it'd been worth it in the end. Inkbrand stood by what he said - it'd be a cold day in Taurtarus before he let another tattoo artist put their markings on his flank. That would be like…like…like a baker buying cakes to eat. How scandalous! No, the tattoo-clad stallion had never regretted the decision in the slightest - even if he'd had to mooch off of a friend or two or six for the months following.

And that was all the time Inkbrand really had to reminisce on those loose-hooved months, as a veritable whirling of pink suddenly made itself known in his general vicinity. He'd been quick enough to catch her return wink, but the sudden spewing of words were almost too fast to follow. As it was, the grey stallion gave it the 'ol university try, golden eyes glazing over slightly as he took in the pink Earth Pony - whose name was Pinkie Pie, according to the small yellow filly.

…Huh. Pinkie Pie. Why did he suddenly crave some pumpkin pie topped with a healthy dosage of marshmallow cream?

"Er…yeah. Yeah, I think that too," the tattoo-clad stallion hazarded, in response to the mare's statement about…mas-car-pone cheeses. The buck did he know about cheeses? Nothing, that's what, except that they tasted good with some slices of lettuce and strawberries. He certainly didn't know anything about their melting tendencies, that was for bucking sure.

The sudden inquiry into a favored colored, however, caught him off-guard, causing his eyebrows to raise upwards in genuine surprise. "Yeah, that's - yeah. It's silver," Inkbrand admitted, unable to tear his gaze off the pink mare.

That was…really astute. Or just crazy coincidence.

Luckily for Inkbrand, he was saved from the moment by Pinkie Pie herself, who proceeded to attempt to strangle Razor into a sleeper hold. And in turn, the Griffon - once released - all but hoofed him further material to tease the Griffon with. The grey stallion couldn't help but feel a surge of…something, for Razor, as the other calmly admitted to swapping addresses with the REA mare with no stammer or blush, or cringe. Not even a bucking eyelash bat.

Taking it like a champion, that was for sure.

"Oh yeah?" Inkbrand continued in the same vein, "you pop in for a little visit, later? Maybe bring her a couple of treats." This said with an outrageous waggle of his eyebrows, an effect that was belied slightly by sudden vibrations along the table. It was enough for the grey stallion to pause and clasp the due of it, a mutter of "What the buck? - " slipping from his lips before - it stopped.

…Bucking weird. But this was Ponyville, after all.

Soon after a rather somnolent looking mare strolled into the store, leaving Inkbrand to once again return his attentions onto the Griffon. "Anyways. She didn't try to break your hooves or anything? Really?" Given Razor's own dislike of touching females, the Griffon probably hadn't attempted to get closer to Clandestine than the mare gave permission for - but hay, Inkbrand was still impressed.

Even if their little awkward-love-ballad still made him want to keel over in peals of laughter.

[[ OOC : Inkbrand was actually speaking to Razor only, but I forgot to correct you when that was posted, Scootalux. So I just went ahead and made it as if Inkbrand had been talking to Sweet Surprise in this post. ]]

kafyBGS.jpg

Oh sorry Zeig. I'm getting confused who is talking to whom.

"Hay yeah I marked myself, wasn't going to let another stallion put their tats on me," Inkbrand proclaimed proudly, folding his forelegs behind his head as he adopted a mysterious and vague expression. "And sorry dollface, but a great artist can't give away all his secrets, 'ya know."

"Oh, well that's neat doing that all by yourself. I don't blame you for keeping your secret as there are spies everywhere. Like yesterday somepony wanted to know what was in my sweet and sour squares. Like I'd tell them my recipe! I bet they're next looking to find the secrets to my other projects like edible toys for foals or my Everlasting Mouthstoppers! Oops! I think i said too much!"

She then looked at the many test treats and selected a small cake that looked about to burst with pieces of fruit and nuts poking out of the sides. She took a bite as her eyes went wide with delight.

"Oh my gosh! Apples and raisins and walnuts oh my! What is the name of this cake?"

Suddenly part of the building began to shake but quickly calmed down as a new pony showed up.

"Oh hi there! Err...did you feel a little tremble a minute or so ago?"

Most of the ponies didn't seem to pay Maud any mind. Not that she particularly blamed them... or minded. Truthfully, she preferred it this way. She didn't care for too much attention. One pony at least, the one Pinkie had called Sweet Surprise, asked her a question to which Maud gave a single subdued nod.

"My favorite rock is Boulder..." Maud said, not understanding that the pony might be instead asking for a type of rock--not that she would have easily been able to choose just one favorite if she had. She removed the smooth, round pebble from her pocket with pride. "He's my pet."

Without another word, she returned Boulder to her pocket and turned back to Pinkie who insisted she not need to help out as she had. She nodded at the sentiment slowly even as she began to speak. "Are you sure? She's small..." Her eyes traced their way to Apple Bloom. The filly clearly was throwing her all into helping, but her size didn't make it entirely practical for her to do every task that would need to be done. There was a real possibility she could end up hurting herself...

Maud's eyes went from Apple Bloom to the door at the sound of it opening once more. Maud's eyes widened rather noticeably at the sight of the pony who walked through. It was Rubble Rose. Maud had met the Fet Loch native in the Crystal Empire at the Faire and they had bonded across all that had transpired there and in the aftermath. It was probably only natural as Rose, as it was, was likely one of the few ponies around who operated on a similar wavelength to Maud herself.

She stepped toward the familiar unicorn mare, intercepting her as she made her way inside the bakery. "Hi..." she surprise and delight at unexpectedly seeing the mare effectively muted despite being great.

She looked back toward Pinkie. "This is Rubble Rose. She's a friend," she said with some level of pride. It was hard for Maud to make very many friends on her own, so she was sure Pinkie would be pleased.

"This is my sister Pinkie," Maud said, turning back toward Rose.

2zxqgy1.jpg

The little blue filly's attention was slightly diverted by Pinkie Pie as she gave the 'griffon of slight stature' a hefty dose of hugging. And sure enough, the poor little guy DID sound just like one of those little doggy toys when squeezed hard enough. Squeak Squeak! Was that the wind coming out of his beak? Or maybe Pinky just popped both of his kidneys? Hopefully it was beak wind. And sure enough, the poor little apple filly continued to work her little blank flank off. Maybe that was why she was trying so hard for a cooking cutie mark. Oh, how Wind's father would have LOVED if somepony in the family had one of those. Even during the last family reunion he checked every single pony that had attended. There were swords, scrolls, shields, fireballs and wings, but not a single spatula, stove or spoon. Her big brother Punk Walker had a pumpkin, but his talents were not squash related.

Wind Walker's right ear perked up as Glimmer continued their little whisper storm. "Well.", she whispered back, "That funny looking guy with all the extra cutie marks said something about a party and an Royal Equestrian Army mare of his..As in Razor's. Just wonder who it is. Maybe it's somepony Fire Walker knows. Hmmm.", it took a moment for the filly to go through her list of pretty R.E.A mares she knew of. "Maybe Lady Lanceguard or there's this one that Fire just met named Star Crusader who is super pretty...Or maybe even Radiant Steel? Guess it would make sense for your brother to date and officer, considering your family and all..

A strong rumbling sound could be heard....From somewhere.....Was it coming from the mare who just entered? Or maybe.....The filly glanced at her stomach which had been making all sorts of noise...Yep, it was her. "Say Glimmer..Maybe we should get something to eat?", again she whispered, "We can enjoy something sweet and spy on your brother at the same time. How about that?"

• 4 weeks later...
[[ OOC : Sorry for posting in here, but I wasn't sure where else to ask since there's no OOC thread. Is this RP continuing? Been about a month since the last post. ]]

• 2 weeks later...

(I was waiting on someone, but I'll go now.)

AppleBloomATTEMPT3final.png

Abby couldn't help but giggle a little at Pinkie's over friendliness with the griffon, even though to be fair she was a big pony. They were a lot harder to pick up in mid flight and be carried away. It only happens to bad fillies who don't wash their hooves when they're done playing outside, or so Granny Smith said, but it didn't mean that it couldn't happen to her! Well, maybe not. He did seem awfully squishy and non-threatening. For nor. Regardless, Pinkie soon moved onto more important topics, and Abby was all ears.

Apple Bloom listened intently to the laundry list of items that Pinkie had set up for her. Geez, that was quite a task list in front of her! And the store was packed, too. Apple Bloom wasn't used to so many bodies in such a close space when she needed to work, like a packed container of rolled and pressed savannah grass. She was used to working in open fields and the rows of an orchard, where even if she made a mistake nothing could break. But Pinkie's world had a lot more glass and stuff she could break. And she wanted to help everypony else. And she wanted to help Pumpkin, who was a foal doing foalish things at the moment. But she supposed she needed to prioritize.

“All right, Pinkie Pie! Chocolate frosting, slice up some cakes, clear up tha racks, get some cupcakes an' scones an' pie an' stuff, right? Sounds good ta me!” Apple Bloom offered excitedly, snapping off another quick salute and hopping to it.
First item on the list: Chocolate frosting. She had already seen that, seemed like a good place to start. Apple Bloom trotted into the supply pantry, feeling a little chill as parts of it were cool. Looking looking looking- now that she was looking for it, it seemed to take forever. But after a minute or so of searching she found a nice little stash of high quality frosting. She grabbed the containers they were in and trotted back out, using the greatest of deductive reasoning to determine where to put it. Fridge? Well maybe, but that was where she had been told to go get other things. Nah, Pinkie wanted this lickity split, so Apple Bloom gave it right to her. “Here ya go! More chocolate frosting, as requested. What cakes do Ah cut up?”

• 1 month later...

Frdnlm6.png

Alright, somepony needed to lessen up on the sugar intake. And he wasn't even talking about the pink mare moving a million miles per minute, either!

Still, Inkbrand couldn't really complain as he grinned at the brown mare who chatted about her confections and secret recipes and other such things, secretly amused at the sudden outpouring of chattiness. She was clearly a mare who, much like him, knew the value of keeping certain information under wraps, rather than sharing it with the world because she was just that kind and naive. Celestia knows there were some ponies who'd pay a pretty penny to learn the secret behind his tattooing process - a process that was painless and entirely comfortable for the client receiving the tattoo, completely unheard of.

Or so Inkbrand assumed. Whatever, he claimed it, it was his idea!

In any case, Razor didn't seem all that keen to share any more details about his supposed date - or maybe he was still dazed from the rather exuberant hug he'd received from Pinkie Pie. Either way, it worked out well for Inkbrand, the day stretching on when he still had business to take care of. Because responsibilities and stuff.

Bucking adult responsibilities, being all necessary and rot.

"Well," the tattoo-clad stallion eventually said, inspecting one hoof languidly before slipping out from his chair, "lemme know how she works out for 'ya. And uh," Inkbrand added, leaning down to speak in something of a murmur nearer to the griffon's head, "I know a couple good hospitals, 'round Manehatten. Let me know if you need a hook up." And by hook up, he meant a pointed hoof and general well wishes. Satisfied, Inkbrand pull back from Razor with a wink and turned around, casting one quick glance around the shop.

...Oh, right. Samples.

Even with the nagging presence of Very Important Things To Do invading the back of his mind, the last time he'd ever turned down free food was never, prompting Inkbrand to detour towards the counter and scoop up a small hoof-ful of the closet plate. The stallion wasn't sure exactly what he'd grabbed, but it tasted fan-bucking-tastic in his mouth, which was all that really mattered.

"Thanks for the free eats, P-squared," he drawled in the pink mare's general direction, words slightly muffled thanks to said eats stuffed in his mouth - though Pinkie Pie was, again, engaged with other ponies. She was definitely one of those types that drew others towards her, willing or unwilling, like moths to a flame, and seemed to relish in the community.

Bucking fantastic. If Ponyville could replace a few of its shy, stuttering types with more Pinkie Pies, the town would be a whole lot better of, in his own humble opinion.

Too bad there wasn't a magical cloning mirror he could use, or summat.

Hopefully, the mare caught his gratitude, but Inkbrand didn't bother fighting for her attention as his tail flicked in a semblance of a goodbye wave towards Razor, cantering out the door and back onto the streets of Ponyville in the same breath. The day was still young, the sun shining merrily in the sky, and his list of Very Important Things To Do was not growing any smaller, prompting one foalish exhaling of breath, before Inkbrand wheeled around and headed towards Town Hall.

What the hay. Maybe if he finished everything early, he'd have time to stop by the Boutique and ogle a certain white mare's fabulous backside. Little reward for himself.

[[ Exit ]]

kafyBGS.jpg

Archived