Official Discussion Thread - S05E25-6 The Cutie Re-Mark

I'm not the type to do something like this. I always finish what I start. It's just something I've always done. It's the kind of person I am.

Just try to keep one more thing in mind.

The possibility of me liking episodes with Starlight Glimmer in them are about as likely as me liking episodes with Discord in them.

In fact...

There's more of a chance of me liking Discord episodes than Glimmer episodes.

Got it memorized?

:artax:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not the type to do something like this. I always finish what I start. It's just something I've always done. It's the kind of person I am.

Just try to keep one more thing in mind.

The possibility of me liking episodes with Starlight Glimmer in them are about as likely as me liking episodes with Discord in them.

In fact...

There's more of a chance of me liking Discord episodes than Glimmer episodes.

Got it memorized?

:artax:

Do..do you want a reward or something? I'm not sure what you are angling at here...

It's just a forewarning that I probably won't like any Starlight Glimmer episodes in S6.

I hate to be the one who says this, but no one cares.

After all, if people don't like episodes, they don't like them, but whatever, why would we care?  I mean I don't care.

Well... At least she is just a unicorn.

Wait, I thought she was an alicorn. Maybe she just had wings on her onesie all along! Or we can check Google. ;p

In a lot of ways, I'm looking forward to her arrival (or whoever gets born) since Cadence and Shining Armor made their pregnancy announcement around the time my husband and I made ours. I'm wondering if there's going to be a gender reveal episode now!

I'm going to say one last thing about this and then I'll try to stop talking about this once and for all.

Dictatorship jerk Glimmer's reasoning for what she did is pretty freaking horrible.

Apparently this idiot hasn't heard the saying "at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Or even the good 'ol mantra of "Never Give Up."

You lost a friend because of a cutie mark? Uh... seriously? Go make another friend then you idiot. You're just going to flat out give up when you fail at something like that?

Seems to me like someone takes failure too quickly and starts making the wrong decisions. Liking thinking everyone would be happier by being equal/being under a dictatorship. Oh yeah. That's the way to handle this. Totally. :twisted:

Something like this should have been common sense. So apparently this idiot doesn't have any common sense either since she should have figured that out on her own instead of having Twilight explain it to her.

Sorry. Everything about this character is just idiotic and wrong. End of story.

:roll:

I could agree with that logic if the event was something that happened to Starlight Glimmer when she was older.  I'll also say that I thought her motivations looked like they had to be highly simplified in order to fit the show.  Whether it was a mistake on the part of the writers, or something that was inevitable and would cost them, is beyond the scope of this discussion.

I think you're working off of a couple of assumptions that aren't entirely justified though, and you're jumping to conclusions.

First, she was a child at the time.  Young children aren't known for their intelligence, at least not on an adult scale, and this is because it's a time where they do a lot of learning.  It's a part of their lives where they pick up a lot of those skills and experiences that we rely on each other having as adults.

Part of me wants to say that no, she's not an idiot for not inherently knowing something she should be in the process of learning.  That would be like demanding a masterpiece from someone who's just started learning to draw.

Part of me wants to say that, of course she was an idiot, at least in the sense that she couldn't work out a better course of action.  Children are expected to be idiots in that sense.  Her basically being able to instantly think 'Ah ha!  I know how to fix this, and myself!' would be far more unreasonable, at least in my opinion.

We don't know whether or not Glimmer tried to make other friends.  We never see it happen, and maybe it's a point to the episode's detriment, but there's a lot of room there.  The event in particular seems to be portrayed as a formative one, having a heavy influence on her personality and outlook.  So, maybe there was a time before she started trying to convert ponies to her way of thinking where she pushed away other ponies, because the fear of rejection outweighed and hung over any potential friendships.  Maybe she tried to make friends and failed, because after that rejection she couldn't put her heart into it and they drifted away.  Maybe she successfully made other friends, but was constantly worried about the possibility of them leaving and so couldn't get the normal connections or happiness from them.  Sure, each of these have their potential pitfalls as explanations, but you can't tell me that the only way it could reasonably have gone is 'she makes another friend and suddenly she has no problems'.

I'll concede that a lot was oversimplified, but no, I just don't agree that the character is nothing more than an irredeemable idiot.

I feel like the ending was rushed. I would have liked to see a tearful "we'll always be friends" farewell, followed by Starlight waiting for a letter after writing tons. He could then come home for a visit after a year or two, only to have changed. Not that he'd be a bad guy, but just not the same guy he was a year or so ago. It's like the old saying goes: a lot can change in a year. I can see Starlight blaming this change on his cutie mark, leading to her own change in behavior. If only the episode had the time to explore this option.

Considering the simplified storytelling tropes we're working with, Starlight Glimmer is actually one of the most developed villains, outside Sunset Shimmer.

Luna, jealousy, turns super evil. Possessed level evil. Because.

Queen Chrysalis is a monster who eats love. Simple enough.

Sombra? No idea (in cartoon), just evil.

Discord? Baddie.

Tirek? Worse bad.

Is her motivation a little silly? Sure, but all the characters in the show tend to be neurotic, often unaware of their character flaws, temporarily conquering them until a new episode comes around and it's highlighted again.

So, Glimmer's motivation. She lost her best friend when he got his cutie mark. I assume she had a very hard time making new friends, both before and after this, and that small event, uncorrected by some future experience, lead to her theory that ponies would be happier if they were equal, without difference. Difference breeds jealousy, separation, etc. She surrounds herself with similar thinking ponies, strips cutie marks from them voluntarily (at least at first), and preaches her cult like gospel.

It likely forms a sort of feedback loop as the ponies around her nod along, believing themselves capable of greater happiness and unity this way, isolated from what they see as a less enlightened world. Theory tested, her town is proof, the ponies there believe it, she believes it more, and everything is a paradise! Even if it's not, she has friends, equal friends, and they are all equal friends, and therefore better friends than anyone in Equestria!

Until reality intrudes and all she has built, a perfect town, is destroyed. All her previous 'friends' have turned on her, the same tragedy that set her down this path. The Mane 6 did not prove to her that their way was better- it proved to her that cutie marks and difference lead to conflict and abandonment, just as her town now drove her out. Had they managed to get her head on straight first, she might not have gone off the deep end on her vengeance kick, but in her mind, they destroyed not only her life, but the movement with the best chance to make Equestria a paradise of equality and friendship.

She's wrong, but her motivations, when broken down a little more, make perfect sense.

I will admit - I do severely dislike the broken Aesop here of "Yes, she did horrible, horrible things to ponies - stole from them, mutilated them, mind-raped them, and tortured them - but it wasn't her fault because her feelings were hurt when she was a child.  She still don't feel bad about what she did, or see anything wrong with it, but now that she sees there's an easier way to do things that takes less work and might involve more reward, sure, we'll forgive her!"

Or, to bring it more general and a bit on the nose:  "No matter how abusive someone is, if they say they'll do better next time, you should always give them another chance."

Additionally, no, it doesn't make sense, even as a child.  "Well, my *one friend* happily went to go show his parents his cutie mark.  obviously this means he's not my friend anymore!  I'm never talking to him again for daring to go ten feet away to show his parents his new cutie mark!"

I'm not discussing this anymore. I'm seriously not.

My opinion on this matter is not changing.

Either accept my opinion or don't. I have a right to hold it either way.

She was a decent villain but to reform her that way with nonsensical motivations and then expect people to forgive her is outrageous and flat out unacceptable.

It's just not happening for me.

So your opinion boils down to  "This character is stupid, this episode was stupid, I hate this stupid thing because it's stupid" ???

Eloquent.

Thank you for posting something that proves why I feel like I have to give the "my opinion is controversial" warning before every post.

Much as I don't agree with LostSanity's way of presenting things - I think everyone jumped on LostSanity much too harshly.  It was just a negative opinion.  strongly worded, but ... wasn't anything wrong with the opinion itself.

And LostSanity is entirely accurate.  The way everypony jumped on him/her does, indeed, justify his/her use of 'my opinion is controversial' warnings.  Shame on all of you.  Sorry, LS.  :(  I wish that hadn't happened.  You had listened earlier, and I respect your listening.  The subsequent hate pile-on was entirely unfair.  As much as many of them let you down, I hope you won't let yourself approach future situations with a negative perspective.  It's still worth giving unknown people the benefit of the doubt.  Even if they let you down, at least the rare person who respects your right to an opinion won't get turned off to it.

Treat the world as if it will let you down, and you'll never get disappointed... but treat the world with a bit of trust, and you will occassionally be rewarded.

Hey guys, it's time to calm down. I'm seeing some pretty inflammatory/hurtful stuff in this thread. If you were being needlessly inflammatory and hurtful, do expect a warning in short order. As I said in this thread earlier: "Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean."

This is a cartoon about ponies. The crux of the entire series is understanding, kindness, and friendship. This sort of discourse is a complete antithesis of what our community strives for. By all means, please have differing opinions. I think the miasma is coming from the fact these opinions keep getting repeated like they're a big thing. It doesn't really add anything to the discussion, so we're quite literally talking in circles about different opinions, rather than discourse about the episode itself. Attacking a user over their opinions justifies their fear that they are being mistreated about their opinions, which is something we've explicitly tried to avoid in this thread.

If you didn't like the episode/certain characters in the episode, awesome. There will be more episodes in a year or so, and we can talk about if we like or dislike those episodes then, too. Until then, please converse nicely on our forum about ponies, everyone. If you've made your opinion about this episode known, perhaps it's time to discuss a new topic. 

i found it was an amazing episode the plots was awesome the alternative universes was amazing all because of the sonic rainbowboom didn't happen, two things i been wondering are

1.their is more then one way to get the cuteie mark sure but how doesn't that effect their personalty and how did the mane 5 get their cutie marks if it wasn't from it to have their life changing events.

2.we saw what it was like when Nightmare Moon won and took over but what was so bad about eventual night in that universe

3.where was the other twilight during all those alternative universes

can somepony explain those too me

i found it was an amazing episode the plots was awesome the alternative universes was amazing all because of the sonic rainbowboom didn't happen, two things i been wondering are

1.their is more then one way to get the cuteie mark sure but how doesn't that effect their personalty and how did the mane 5 get their cutie marks if it wasn't from it to have their life changing events.

2.we saw what it was like when Nightmare Moon won and took over but what was so bad about eventual night in that universe

3.where was the other twilight during all those alternative universes

can somepony explain those too me

I can answer number 2

See we kinda need the sun to grow certain things

Like...food XD

they could make seeds with magic or change thrm so they can grow in the night like that one flower in the real world

That's not how seeds work in MLP, every time we see planting/ harvesting done it's by hoof, and the sun is vital to plant life, not to mention the sun heats and warms  the planet, and helps with the weather, taking away the sun is taking away life.

Archived