Nautical Ponies?

MidnightMask

I'd started thinking about doing a Scooby do-esque role play involving a ghost ship, when I realized I know very little about ponies and their naval history, or if they even have much in the way of sea travel.

Ponies do not fish, to my knowledge. I mean, why would they (beyond sport)? Unless there were some kind of fish that shed scales for fashion, or jellyfish that could be milked for jelly or something, they would never eat fish, so it would really limit their reasons to develop a lot of nautical technology.

Not that they don't have it, obviously. Ships and shipping in ports is already something going on.

But would they have a navy? Would they want or need one? Is anyone aware of/made any sort of seafaring ponies? (I'm sure there's some episode I'm forgetting)

I don't know, just sort of spinning this topic to see others knowledge and opinion.

Ships have shown up in the comics for what it's worth, though I think that still means how canon they are is up for debate.

On this site specifically, I know there are a number of ponies that use airships.  I bet haunted airship could work.  And if you still want to explore other options, I would say browse the lore pages for either towns or species, I'm willing to be there are at least a couple locations which are considered port towns, which would imply trading and/or cargo transport via ship.

As Lyipheoryia said, you should check the REA entry for navy stuff specifically.  I'm pretty sure there's something, but I can't recall any details at the moment.

Thanks for the pointers! I'll check that lore document.

I already know Baltimare is a port city, which was where I was planning for. I was just more curious about the what's and why's of ships, and info anyone had.

I'm pretty sure there was a Rarity episode where she is shown on a yacht while mingling with Canterlot's high society. 'Course that's the only time I can remember seeing a ship on the show itself.

As for why ships would exist and what they would be used for, the forum world is broken into several countries besides Equestria that are separated by water. I don't think it's too outside the realm of realism to think ponies use ships to transport themselves and cargo across the sea, even with airships. Seaponies are also a part of the forum - it's possible a pony could have made a seapony friend and takes a boat off the coast to dive/visit with them every so often. I was also involved in a RP once where my character was shipwrecked from a cruise liner of sorts, so pleasure could be another reason ponies use ships.

Here is the REA lore page others mentioned by the way, just in case.

Ships were also seen in the wide shots of Manehattan. One of them being a yacht and other propably steam (magic?) powered. You can recognize the funnel at least.

Heh, almost all of my OCs rely on some sort of ship existing. But aside from that, I'm sure that boats are a way of getting to far-off lands. And if we know one thing about the pony world; it's not safe. Surly they would have ships designed to protect citizen transport vessels from mythological fish and stuff. Gotta keep them waters safe~

Was wiki crawling a bit on this subject. Looks like they did a pirate adventure in the comics, but unsure how the comics stack up as far as canon goes.

Still, it goes without saying that there are boats of a variety of types (and a navy in the REA lore), so even without pirates and fisherman, there can certainly be ghost ships (though likely without any real ghosts).

There was one scene of Rarity's father fishing in a pond, but that was it. Boats and naval ships do seem to be notably absent from a lot of the show. Of course, real horses have tremendous difficulties if they are moved by ship, so maybe that was why?

My OC's father is a sailor, though, so I don't think it's too far fetched.

Archived