Interpretations (Closed: River)

SteelEagle

rsz_banner_zpsjzxztmnx.png

Rarity was never nervous unless the cell walls of her structured life came crashing down. She lived a life of pressure. Order after order, design after design, a lot was expected of her and it was all supposed too be of the best quality. There were no easy days for her when it came to crunch time, and sleepless mornings were common. But for all of that she could most certainly say that when it came to matters of a less decisively financial and creative impulse, she never felt nervous. She was the very picture of Equestrian calm and sweetness, and it was this which she so easily gave to others. And this was why...was why...

Oh, look at her. She was a worried mess today. Not that others would know. Rarity as a mess was the very picture of Equestrian idealic hygiene and form, of course. But she knew, she had always known, and that was what today was about. In most ways at least. She had invited a very, very dear friend over for a nice lunch and maybe, just maybe, something even sweeter. She was trying to prepare most appropriately for her friend, but it was hard. Should she dress warm or was that too obvious? Hard or soft colors- iridescent? There were so many options. And she had a feeling there was a large gap of logic somewhere but her mind was in a tizzy- logic had little to do with it.

"This will have to do," Rarity sighed, looking at the time. Applejack was going to be here soon. She looked rather nice but she wasn't sure if it fit exactly what was going to happen. Hmm, maybe- no! She had to go ahead and just accept that this was going to have to work. Applejack wasn't a mare devoted to the aesthetic, after all. It was going to be a wonderful lunch and- well, maybe something would develop from there. She had spared no expense, after all! "I do hope everything works out. I don't know if my heart could take another cruel blow!" she moaned to Opal, who licked herself in response.

• 4 weeks later...

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

Applejack let herself into the Boutique.  She would normally knock.  But considering it was near midday, she figured customer who would frequent Rarity's establishment wouldn't bother to knock either.  "Rarity, ah'm here!  Big Mac took over the sale cart in the marketplace, so I got some time.  You wanted to have lunch?"

Applejack walked into the next room where she could see Rarity, all dressed up like she was ready to go to a Gala.  But the Gala wasn't for another five months.  Applejack wasn't wearing anything.  "Oh, something must have come up.  You have some fancy thing to go to.  That's fine, we can reschedule."

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

And there she was, the mare of the hour! This hour, anyway. It was hard for Rarity to make that exception as she so naturally saw herself in that spot, but for Applejack, an exception would be made. Was Rarity overdressed for what was supposed to be a casual lunch? What a silly question. Of course not. One could never overdress for such a nice occasion. Unless she did, but she banished those thoughts as Applejack made her way in. There were pressing and invigorating issues at hoof, like trying to tame the wild heart in front of her. Aggressively so, she might add. No different from her romance novels- one of them needed to be civilized, but within that oh-so barbaric mare lay the path to true...wait, what- she was here and here Rarity was, being a silly foal as she came down to greet Applejack without saying hello.

"Welcome Applejack! I had no idea you would be here so early, I feel so embarrassed to be caught in such a dress!" she lied through her teeth, closing shades as she walked around the room. It was then that Applejack brought up leaving, believing she had come here out of turn- a disaster in the making! "What? No. It has been a slow day at best here, no reason to fret. Besides, we've already had to reschedule this lunch twice. Third time is the charm, as they say!" she said, getting behind the farmer and ensuring there was no escape. If only those emergency orders hadn't come in previously, ruining her previous meal plans with Applejack. This was a far less exciting situation!

"Come, follow me into the kitchen. How is the farm business treating you?" she asked offhoofedly, trying to mask her excitement. The kitchen was darker than the rest, with some light and sensual shades of mood lighting, candles, and a feast fit for a queen. Well, a country queen, in any case.

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

Applejack was wrong to assume.  Rarity had apparently just put on a dress for the most common of reasons.  Just because.  "Oh well, OK then."  Applejack eyed at Rarity and lightly inspected the dress she was wearing, looking up and down.  "You know Rarity, there's no reason to feel embarrassed.  Just take it off."

Rarity was taking out the effect of the sun through the windows for some reason.  Applejack had been outside for most the day, and it was a bright and sunny day without a pegasus brand cloud in the sky.  Applejack's eyes were well adjusted for the brightness, and as Rarity made things darker, it made it harder for Applejack to see.  "Farmlife's going great I guess."  She followed Rarity's voice to the kitchen, but by the time Applejack felt the harder tile floor, she could see nothing.  Fortunately, Applejack knew Rarity's house well enough to know that there was a light switch to her left on the wall.  She reached over, felt the switch, and flipped it.  Taking out much of the atmosphere Rarity might have attempted to display, Applejack saw before her a large table full of several fancy foods and snacks.  "Rarity!?"  Applejack looked at Rarity stunned and then smiled.  "Did you make all this?  It looks amazin'!"

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• 2 weeks later...

Take the dress off?
Never!
In Equestria, clothing had more importance than anywhere else precisely because they often wore nothing. That made the very careful application of form and
function, of fabric and stitching, of presentation and style to be critical when you were with somepony. Your clothes said as much about what you thought of
them as it did about yourself. Getting dressed for somepony else told them that they were worth not only your best efforts, but your most worthy. Simple but
powerful messages told through clothing, one of her many passions. Passion was also another passion of hers. Very passionate, Rarity. "Oh, of course not,
Applejack. This is a very special dress! I have to make sure it works for a formal occasion. Very important pony, you see," she said, not revealing who the
important pony was. Because how could she?

Speaking of importance- ambiance. Ambiance was vital and with a careless flick of her wrist, Applejack had shut down any attempts to get the mood just right.
Well, she wasn't exactly the romantic type. That is why this was so hard- and importantly, why Rarity had to make clear just how great her effort was. Applejack
could recognize that at least, just as she could recognize a quality feast. She was stunned for a moment before she asked if Rarity made it which, Rarity was
proud to say, she had! "I did! I searched high, and I searched low, I searched high- and low!- for some of the best recipes within my skill range. And I thought
you could be here with me to share the fruits of my labor, as it were. Come, sit!"
She said, walking to one side of the table while using magic to pull a chair
under Applejack- and a blindfold.

Archived