Favorite Episode: FINALS!!

Dessa

Of the episodes below, which is your favorite? Choose ONE.  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Of the episodes below, which is your favorite? Choose ONE.

• Sonic Rainboom
    • Party of One
    • Cutie Mark Chronicles
    • Winter Wrap-Up

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very difficult, but I went with Winter Wrap-Up. I thought its portrayal of Twilight Sparkle and her burgeoning desire to fit in with Ponyville's community was very moving and interesting. The look on her face when Applejack yelled at her was heartbreaking.

I also liked it a lot for developing our knowledge of Equestria's post-apocalyptic and broken interesting environment and how the ponies relate to it. I'm fascinated by pegasus weather control, in particular.

And, of course, it's the episode that gave us the first big group song number, so I have to give it credit for that. Without that, I might have given my vote to Cutie Mark Chronicles, barely.

Aww... but that's not fair... :sad:

People voting not for their actual favorite choice now, but just what they'd like to see win more...

You can do it, Sonic Rainboom. :) You can survive these vote changers...

The nature of the poll (the bracket) means that for many ponies, this already is a "favorite of what can win" contest. If one episode is polarizing, and another is everypony's second favorite, a case can be made that that second favorite is the most popular, all things considered.

That was my reasoning when I left vote changing up, anyhow. This is almost like a runoff bracket between the frontrunners now.

Sad to see CM Chronicles go down though. It's my second favorite.

The nature of the poll (the bracket) means that for many ponies, this already is a "favorite of what can win" contest. If one episode is polarizing, and another is everypony's second favorite, a case can be made that that second favorite is the most popular, all things considered.

That was my reasoning when I left vote changing up, anyhow. This is almost like a runoff bracket between the frontrunners now.

Sad to see CM Chronicles go down though. It's my second favorite.

But it's not over yet!!

EVERYPONY! Change your votes towards the Cutie Mark Chronicles. For without them, we have no true basis for the others. :(

Hmmm, two episodes that I like actually made it onto the list

But I decided to go with Sonic Rainboom, it really is a fun episode:

somepony give this brony a cookie muffin :(

Am I cheering for Sonic Raimboom correctly?

:oops:too loud?

Thank you, and I'd say so, it only needs one more vote to tie with Party of one

Personally, the reason I won't vote for Sonic Rainboom is because it portray Rarity really poorly. It also kinda overglorifies Rainbow Dash, although there's nothing really wrong with that. (It's just that Rainbow is already frickin popular, and as such is one of the ponies who least needs episodes centered around her. Much less one that shows her breaking all odds and laws of physics.) :mad:

Party of One and CMChronicles are better at that, although I believe A Bird In The Hoof is the best episode when it comes to representing the mane six. (Rarity is still in character when the context of her attitude is understood. In Sonic Rainboom, she's practically out of character)

Of course, A Bird In The Hoof isn't here. Because you guys didn't vote for it like you should have. :cry:

By the way, what happens if there is a tie at the end? Tie-breaker? :shock:

Personally, the reason I won't vote for Sonic Rainboom is because it portray Rarity really poorly. It also kinda overglorifies Rainbow Dash, although there's nothing really wrong with that. (It's just that Rainbow is already frickin popular, and as such is one of the ponies who least needs episodes centered around her. Much less one that shows her breaking all odds and laws of physics.) :mad:

Party of One and CMChronicles are better at that, although I believe A Bird In The Hoof is the best episode when it comes to representing the mane six. (Rarity is still in character when the context of her attitude is understood. In Sonic Rainboom, she's practically out of character)

Of course, A Bird In The Hoof isn't here. Because you guys didn't vote for it like you should have. :cry:

By the way, what happens if there is a tie at the end? Tie-breaker? :shock:

I personally like the way Rarity is shown in Sonic Rainboom. A lot of the episodes rely on one off characters like Trixie or Gilda to antagonize the cast and then go away; I actually think it's cool when they instead use a main character that we like and are attached to and write them into the antagonizing role, only for them to learn the lesson in the end. It emphasizes the flaws of that character, and one of the things I most appreciate about FiM"s characters in general is that they all have flaws. It also give the impression of character development. It's something I actually wish they'd do more often.

And Dash does need episodes. She actually has the least screen time of any of the main ponies, I believe. And I'm pretty sure she also has the least number of episodes centered around her. She's popular, yes. But I don't think that should mean she should be featured in the show less.

I personally like the way Rarity is shown in Sonic Rainboom. A lot of the episodes rely on one off characters like Trixie or Gilda to antagonize the cast and then go away; I actually think it's cool when they instead use a main character that we like and are attached to and write them into the antagonizing role, only for them to learn the lesson in the end.

There's nothing wrong with using the one of the mane cast as an antagonist, although in Sonic Rainboom's case I'd argue the bullies were the real antagonists as opposed to Rarity who was more of a...plot device that doubles as an obstacle, let's say.

The issue I have is that Rarity's personality conflicts not just with previous episodes but also within the episode itself: She's the one who suggests that they be there for Rainbow Dash's competition, except she then proceeds to completely forget about it once they reach Cloudsdale and becomes self-absorbed with her wings. In the end she serves as a plot device for Rainbow Dash to do the Sonic Rainboom, and she has to learn a lesson she was supposed to already know in the first place: "I learned how important it is to keep your hooves on the ground and to be there for your friends". That's what she suggested at the beginning of the episode!

It felt like really weak writing, because we already had the whole shtick with Fluttershy needing to learn how to cheer properly and Rainbow Dash's school bullies as the antagonists, but somewhere along the line both of these plot points, though not forgotten, got sidetracked at Rarity's expense. I think it would have been better if they stuck with the former and made it work.

I still think it's a great episode otherwise, though.

It emphasizes the flaws of that character, and one of the things I most appreciate about FiM"s characters in general is that they all have flaws. It also give the impression of character development. It's something I actually wish they'd do more often.
Truth be told, the mane cast don't have to be antagonists to show their flaws: Applebuck Season showed Applejack's stubborness, Swarm of the Century and A Bird in the Hoof showed Twilight's unhealthy obsession and interpretation of her mentor, Dragonshy and The Stare Master had Fluttershy overcoming her, well, shyness, Suited for Success demonstrated Rarity's overly-generous need over getting her friend's dresses exactly the way they wanted them and Fall Weather Friends showed both Rainbow Dash's and Applejack's overly competitive sides.

(Pinkie Pie is hard to pin down, since she is so random. :mad: )

Although you could say that they were antagonists in a few of those episodes, I think it shouldn't have to come at the expense of another character's personality (mane cast or not.)

And Dash does need episodes. She actually has the least screen time of any of the main ponies, I believe. And I'm pretty sure she also has the least number of episodes centered around her. She's popular, yes. But I don't think that should mean she should be featured in the show less.

Rainbow Dash (and Pinkie Pie too, while we're at it) are some of the more popular characters because they make excellent use of their time. Even in side episodes, they tend to dominate the show because they do things, as opposed to, say, Applejack and Twilight, who serve far more often as support characters when not in the spotlight of an episode.

This especially goes to Pinkie Pie, who gets a bunch of songs every few episodes. By all technical means she only needs one minute of air time per episode to maintain popularity.

Moreover, the problem with the lesser popular characters of the mane cast (Rarity and Applejack) is that their scheduled episodes were poorly handled:

Applejack had one of the earliest spotlight episode: Applebuck Season. She also had shared spotlight in "Look Before You Sleep" and "Fall Weather Friends". These were all in the first half of the season (4, 8, 13). Over a Barrel probably should have been an AJ episode(It was at the very least a great opportunity), but another look will show that Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie upstaged her, due to them spending time doing stuff (Clashing with Little Strongheart, "You gotta share, You gotta care") instead of simply talking to their tree.

Oh, also, all 3 of AJ's episodes portray her in the wrong, needing to learn a lesson. Fun.

Rarity has it the other way around, all her episodes were in the second half, except Look Before You Sleep, but it wasn't a great episode for her and it was shared spotlight.

Suited For Success, A Dog and Pony Show and Green isn't your Color(shared with Fluttershy) were all great episodes for her, portraying her qualities as good things, even Green isn't your Color underplayed her jealousy, and it had her learn her lesson by herself (more or less).

Best Night Ever also gave Rarity a good boost of popularity.

The other ponies don't have this problem; Twilight, although usually the straight mare, is in every episode and Fluttershy had a good balance of episodes for the season.

Right now, Rarity just needs a decent balance of episodes in season 2 and she should be fine, although she's playing catch-up because of her early season drought.

AJ, on the other hand, is starving for another episode, and it should portray her overcoming a problem, not being the problem.

Rainbow Dash isn't in much need of a new episode. That doesn't mean I think she shouldn't get one, I just think that she can survive on the polls without an episode for quite a while.

Also, despite everything I wrote, the easiest way to fix AJ and Rarity's popularity problems is by just writing them into more interesting situations. Like Best Night Ever with Rarity, that was great. wink.png

Oh god, wall of text. :blush:

There's nothing wrong with using the one of the mane cast as an antagonist, although in Sonic Rainboom's case I'd argue the bullies were the real antagonists as opposed to Rarity who was more of a...plot device that doubles as an obstacle, let's say.

True. I suppose Rarity isn't directly an antagonist. SHe is sort of an antagonizing force though. It's pretty clear that she pushes Dash further in her corner.

The issue I have is that Rarity's personality conflicts not just with previous episodes but also within the episode itself: She's the one who suggests that they be there for Rainbow Dash's competition, except she then proceeds to completely forget about it once they reach Cloudsdale and becomes self-absorbed with her wings. In the end she serves as a plot device for Rainbow Dash to do the Sonic Rainboom, and she has to learn a lesson she was supposed to already know in the first place: "I learned how important it is to keep your hooves on the ground and to be there for your friends". That's what she suggested at the beginning of the episode!

I kind of think that's pretty normal for Rarity. She contradicts herself. She knows better, but she's also prone to vanity. I think it's well within her personality to get so far wrapped up in herself that she stops seeing what's important to her. Green Isn't Your Color highlights that Rarity can be kind of bad at reading her friends. Other episodes, like Winter Wrap Up show her as being prone to get carried away with something. I don't think it's that far a stretch for her to become completely self absorbed at the prospect at suddenly being able to fly. I actually think it's a great example of irony that it's her who mentions being there for Dash at the start of the episode.

It felt like really weak writing, because we already had the whole shtick with Fluttershy needing to learn how to cheer properly and Rainbow Dash's school bullies as the antagonists, but somewhere along the line both of these plot points, though not forgotten, got sidetracked at Rarity's expense. I think it would have been better if they stuck with the former and made it work.

I'll just disagree. I don't think Fluttershy's bit was ever more than just a running gag for the episode; the episode just isn't about her. The bullies supply the conflict. Rarity helps Dash overcome the conflict, first by worsening it, then by screwing up and providing an opportunity for Dash to overcome. It's good writing as far as I'm concerned.

]Truth be told, the mane cast don't have to be antagonists to show their flaws: Applebuck Season showed Applejack's stubborness, Swarm of the Century and A Bird in the Hoof showed Twilight's unhealthy obsession and interpretation of her mentor, Dragonshy and The Stare Master had Fluttershy overcoming her, well, shyness, Suited for Success demonstrated Rarity's overly-generous need over getting her friend's dresses exactly the way they wanted them and Fall Weather Friends showed both Rainbow Dash's and Applejack's overly competitive sides.

(Pinkie Pie is hard to pin down, since she is so random. :mad: )

Although you could say that they were antagonists in a few of those episodes, I think it shouldn't have to come at the expense of another character's personality (mane cast or not.)

I agree entirely. It can work like that. I just thinking making a mane cast member more of an antagonist, more completely in the wrong in comparison to another mane cast member is a setup worth exploring more. I'm not saying the usual way they do it is a worse method in any way.

Rainbow Dash (and Pinkie Pie too, while we're at it) are some of the more popular characters because they make excellent use of their time. Even in side episodes, they tend to dominate the show because they do things, as opposed to, say, Applejack and Twilight, who serve far more often as support characters when not in the spotlight of an episode.

This especially goes to Pinkie Pie, who gets a bunch of songs every few episodes. By all technical means she only needs one minute of air time per episode to maintain popularity.

I kind of agree. I still think all the character deserve the spotlight every once and a while. Even Pinkie needs episodes. Honestly, before Party of One I found her an almost completely flat, one note character, there just to supply gags. She's still my least favorite of the mane six.

Moreover, the problem with the lesser popular characters of the mane cast (Rarity and Applejack) is that their scheduled episodes were poorly handled:

Applejack had one of the earliest spotlight episode: Applebuck Season. She also had shared spotlight in "Look Before You Sleep" and "Fall Weather Friends". These were all in the first half of the season (4, 8, 13). Over a Barrel probably should have been an AJ episode(It was at the very least a great opportunity), but another look will show that Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie upstaged her, due to them spending time doing stuff (Clashing with Little Strongheart, "You gotta share, You gotta care") instead of simply talking to their tree.

Oh, also, all 3 of AJ's episodes portray her in the wrong, needing to learn a lesson. Fun.

Applejack is my favorite pony. I agree entirely. She does need more episodes. But so does Dash.

Rarity has it the other way around, all her episodes were in the second half, except Look Before You Sleep, but it wasn't a great episode for her and it was shared spotlight.

Suited For Success, A Dog and Pony Show and Green isn't your Color(shared with Fluttershy) were all great episodes for her, portraying her qualities as good things, even Green isn't your Color underplayed her jealousy, and it had her learn her lesson by herself (more or less).

Best Night Ever also gave Rarity a good boost of popularity.

I actually really like Look Before You Sleep...

There really have been no shortage of Rarity episodes as far as I'm concerned. The four episodes you mentioned, plus Sonic Rainboom which features her strongly I believe puts her behind only Twilight for starring roles.

AJ, on the other hand, is starving for another episode, and it should portray her overcoming a problem, not being the problem.

And that's why Rainbow Dash isn't in much need of a new episode. That doesn't mean I don't think she shouldn't get one, I just think that she can survive on the polls without an episode for quite a while.

I don't see the correlation. Applejack doesn't have enough episodes so no more Dash episodes for a while? I'd rather see more episodes for both of them, personally. Really, Dash is as bad off as AJ. Sonic Rainboom is her only real shining moment. The only other episodes she really stars in are Griffon the Brush Off, which is easily more about Pinkie and Gilda than it is Dash, and Fall Weather Friends, which is split evenly with Applejack.

Pinkie even has more of a spotlight if you think about it, due to the better part in Griffon the Brush off, Party of One and Feeling Pinkie Keen (and maybe even Swarm of the Century, if you want to count it).

Also, despite everything I wrote, the easiest way to fix AJ and Rarity's popularity problems is by just writing them into more interesting situations. Like Best Night Ever with Rarity, that was great. :lol:

I just don't think certain characters should be featured less because they're more popular. I'd like to see the spotlight as evenly split as possible. Again, Applejack's my favorite, but even I don't want to see her pushed on us all repeatedly in the second season just to up her popularity. That seems like the wrong approach.

I actually really like Look Before You Sleep...

Didn't mean it that way - Look before you Sleep was a pretty low-budget episode, but I don't think it's a bad one for what it attempts to deliver. What I meant was that Rarity was portrayed as an opposing force (much like Applejack), and therefore as someone who needs to learn a lesson about friendship.

I don't see the correlation. Applejack doesn't have enough episodes so no more Dash episodes for a while? I'd rather see more episodes for both of them, personally.
Sorry, my bad: I was gonna end my post at "not being a problem", but decided to continue it after some pondering. There is no correlation: the "And" was just poorly placed.
Really, Dash is as bad off as AJ. Sonic Rainboom is her only real shining moment. The only other episodes she really stars in are Griffon the Brush Off, which is easily more about Pinkie and Gilda than it is Dash, and Fall Weather Friends, which is split evenly with Applejack.
In retrospect, you're right: Rainbow Dash had a pretty big drought after her spotlight episode too (Along with AJ): episode 17, 18 and 20 all had her (nearly) absent.

What I was thinking of was Rainbow Dash's fanon rep: she's got a lot of fanfics, music themes, several mini-games after her, tons of art, etc. She's one of the more popular ponies in that area, much moreso than Applejack, at the very least.

Of course, it's a flawed way of thinking to say that a pony's need of an episode should be reflected by both their canon and fanon representation: by that logic, Luna shouldn't even be anywhere near Season 2 due to all the attention she gets outside of the show.

As far as an RD episode goes, I hope it delves on her background more. We haven't even seen the inside of her house yet, not to mention she might actually have a pet for all we know. There's also the Junior Speedster stuff, or just her younger years in school in general. Personally, I'm still hoping for a chance to see her parents. What kind of combination gives rainbow hair?

Just no more Sonic Rainbooms. Anymore would undermine its "rare" status.

Pinkie even has more of a spotlight if you think about it, due to the better part in Griffon the Brush off, Party of One and Feeling Pinkie Keen (and maybe even Swarm of the Century, if you want to count it).
I don't remember implying Pinkie as being in need of spotlight. She gets a lot of attention both inside and outside the show.

Heck, she's given extra spotlight by Hasbro personally: her toy is commercialized way more often and she got to star in the Equestria Girls promo as well as the "Summer at the Hub" commercial.

Unfortunately, at least for the former, I think this has less to do with Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie and more to do with Pinkie Pie being...pink. :sad:

I just don't think certain characters should be featured less because they're more popular. I'd like to see the spotlight as evenly split as possible. Again, Applejack's my favorite, but even I don't want to see her pushed on us all repeatedly in the second season just to up her popularity. That seems like the wrong approach.
The last thing I want is for the situation to be reversed. What I hope they're aiming for is a balanced cast. That being said, if I had to choose between giving AJ or RD a spotlight episode first, I'd choose AJ, no questions asked.