[Appleloosa] An outlaws homecoming (closed)

Dusty

Liviel smiled to herself as she took a drink of her water. She was enjoying this company, these ponies were fun to listen to. Their friendship made her happy, the playful conversation. The dog blinked a little bit as the mare said they could get a new dress at the general store. She gave a gentle smile to the mare, opening her mouth to speak when Snow beat her to it.

"I am sorry, but he is correct that dresses are not helpful when traveling. I also have a dress of sorts already, one from my homeland, and I like to travel with as little as I can, so I would prefer to keep it to just the one. Thank you for the offer, however." She said, giving an apologetic smile to Louise. "As for where we should go next, the Salt Lick or the orchard sound like good places to go."

"Sounds like two votes fer the Salt Block," Sheriff Silverstar said, "don't feel bad, Miss LeMare, I knowed ya wanted an excuse ta go shoppin' some more."

"It's ok," Louise LeMare said with a smile, "I'm with whatever the majority wants to do."

"But first, if y'all's done with lunch, any of the rest of y'all want some desert?" Doc Holly Day asked, glancing over at the apple pie Dusty was enjoying.  "I think I'd like some apple pie mahself!"

"Now that ya mention it, Doc, I could go fer some too!" added the Sheriff.  "How about it, Liviel?  Would ya like some apple pie also?"

"I know I do!" Louise LeMare neighed.  "I want a big slice with ice cream on it!"

"Looks like ya started a trend there, pal!" the Sheriff said at Dusty as the waitress nodded, bringing out apple pie for all who ordered it.

• 4 weeks later...

Dusty grins as he chuckles. “Never have a day without some pie. Life's too short not too! Heck, if I had it my way I’d have more than just one a day. If I wanted to get fit I’d work in some train yard that needs Train pullers. Not that many yards need them now days.” He says looking out a window. “Hay Louise. So you do a lot of books out here ya? Done books on outlaws? Got some young ones back home, They’d love books about that i'd think."

"Some pie sounds wonderful. Thank you." Liviel replied, smiling over at them warmly. She listened as Dusty spoke, eventually ending by questioning Louise about her books. 

"You have little ones, Snow? How old are they, if you don't mind?" She asked him, watching him with a smile. 

Thorn had watched as the visitors had come in with the regular crowd of the Sherrif and his friends.

It was who had come with them that startled him.

The dapper brown donkey waited until they had left, and turned to one of the cashiers "Watch the place while I am gone for a few minutes. Madam Bistro will want me to be sure of what I saw."

He trotted out and shadowed the group until he could trot up closer to the large stallion from behind, intending to take him aside for a private chat, then paused when he heard the Diamond Dog's question. Yes, Bistro might want to hear about that part....

At the group was finishing their deserts, Louise was quick to answer Snow's question:

"I have written a number of Pioneer pony novels, Mr. Snow.  It was my love for the pioneer pony lifestyle that led me to become a part of the brave ponies who founded this town!  Now, my first novel was titled 'Sunrise to Saddle' and was all about a cute Pegasus mare who tried to get the attention of the local, lawpony in town, the mighty Sheriff Wyatt Stirrup.  Anyway the story begins ..."

"Now Miss LeMare, thar ain't enough time fer a full blown book report on all them books ya wrote," Sheriff Silverstar interrupted.  "Besides that, our new friends wanna see the Salt Block next!"

"I must agree with the Sheriff," added Doc Holly Day.  "It's too bad we missed Madam Bistro.  She's always a delight to be around."

"Admit it, Doc, you're in love with her!" Louise neighed, causing the dark gray furred red maned unicorn stallion to blush.

"Knock that off, Miss LeMare," the Sheriff said with a slight chuckle as he sang, "Doc an' Bistro, sittin' in a tree, K  I  S  S  I  N  G!"

Hearing this caused the snorting unicorn stallion to levitate his bowl of ice cream up in the air before dropping it upside down on the laughing lawpony's head.

"Well, I think NOW would be a good time to visit the Salt Block.  We'll lead the way, right Doc and Sheriff?"

The two feuding stallions quickly smiled wide, forgetting their quarrel as they led the others out of the restaurant.  Doc made sure to float enough bits unto their table to pay for the entire meal and leave a very generous tip as well.  As the group departed and continued in conversation, none of them noticed the donkey who was shadowing them from a distance, at least, not yet. 

Dusty answers Liviel with a smile. “Not to old, vary, very young. Don’t worry, my mare is not looking after them alone. We got a full clan of ponies helping her, so they are in good hooves.” He then turns his attention back to Louise as she talks. “Courting a Sheriff? Ever a risky path, never know if they will bite off too much.” He chuckles and keeps his smile. “But you can tell me more later Louise, ah must tell the truth, most of my life ah did not know how to read, It’s a new skill ah got thanks to another that loved books. And after getting my hooves on a few ah can’t help but love reading. Why ah hope to pass on the love of reading too my foals. May make them grow up better than ah did.”

He flicked his long donkey like ears at the talk about Bistro. He missed her, she was a good mare and plenty of fun. But times move on and honestly she’d want to smack him… Maybe a few times. Nothing like bailing on a mare after some dating and flirting, fall off the map for a few years than walk into town like nothing happened with news going around you are a father of two foals? Maybe hoping for just a slap was being optimistic. Tartarus has no fury like a mare scorned.

“Ya, the Salt Lick sounds good.” Dusty mumbles as he tossed a few bits on the table, not even close to what the Doc tipped but he lacked the bits to do more and he was not going to let Doc do all the typing. Making honest bits was bloody hard, what he’d give to have the bits and gold he use too have and toss around. “Hay, Sheriff. After we get done going around town and totally not getting drunk do you know if some ponies need odd jobs done? Was thinking about picking up some more bits in my stay here, will help get around to the next stop. Much as ah like to walk ah do think taking a train ride to ponyville sounds better than walking that.” He asked looking over at the law pony. He’s never going to get use to just… talking to a Sheriff like this. Ever.

Liviel was a little worried as the fight started, but thankfully it was just some friendly actions. She smiled as they got up and began to leave. She didn't have much money, but she left some behind as well, leaving with the others. 

As they walked, it felt like they were being followed, but it didn't feel like a malicious presence, so she let it be. She smiled at Snow's response, she always did like the little ones. 

"That is nice, I am sure they are wonderful little foals." Liviel said, smiling as she followed the others to the next stop. 

Thorn raised an eyebrow at the teasing of the Doc being in love with Madam Bistro, thinking that was a new twist. Perhaps a welcome distraction from Dusty if she gets all out of sorts over Dusty's return?

His ears went up high, taking in every word from Dusty... yes it was indeed him! -And  "his Mare" looking after them with her clan? Oh, Mistress might be very upset, or she might even be relieved, he wont know until she hears the news.

Thorn stayed quiet as he followed, waiting for a chance to get Dusty aside or to hear more.

As the group continued moving down the street, a hovering Louise responds to Dusty:

"I don't believe there any risk involve with courting the Sheriff, Snow.  He seems to be a very nice, leveled headed stallion.  I think that's very commendable that you learned how to read.  Reading opens up new worlds of wisdom and fun for both foals and adults!  There is a library in this town, perhaps later in our tour we can all go there together."

Sheriff Silverstar also responded to Dusty:

"I'll see what I kin do ta help ya finds some job prospects.  If fact, one of the first places we kin check is the bulletin board over at the Salt Block!  Usually ponies will leave messages on the board askin' fer help with odd jobs as such."

Soon, the group of ponies enters the swinging doors of the Salt Block.  Inside were the trapping of the typical frontier saloon:  An earth stallion with a handlebar mustache serving water and tiny salt blocks, another stallion playing a happy tune on an upright piano.  Several earth mares clad in western-style dresses serving as waitresses for the many tables where more ponies sat, either playing cards or having polite conversation.  Quickly, a still hovering Louise LeMare finds a table for the group and directs them all to sit down.

"This is it, folks, the Salt Block!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed.  "Sort of the social center of the town!  Everypony gets along peacefully here!"

"Shall we order up some salt and water?" Doc Holly Day asked as Louise finally stopped flapping her wings and took her seat.

"So, Snow, Livel, what do you think of the Salt Block so far?"

"Thar's the bulletin board over yonder, wanna go check it out now er after we have some refeshments?"

As the Sheriff spoke, a smiling mare placed a glass of water in front of each one at the table and then placed a large bowl of small salt blocks in the table's center.

“They are sweet as a button Liviel. Asked me two years ago about foals and Ah’d say they were imps from the darkest pits. But eh, well they can be a hoof full it’s funny how being a dad can change views to them.” Dusty chuckles and smiles as he glanced over at Louise. “You never know Louise, sometimes they bite off too much and try to take on somepony or something that’s too much.” He looked away from her, thinking about the past and his battles with law keeping ponies. Honestly felt bad about some of them, but he shakes it off and looked back at her. “Yes, never did think reading was worth much. Left that to the eggheads. But you can only do that so long before you learn to regret not learning and try to fix it. Getting better at math too. For a pony that’s never spent one day in school I think I’d doing pretty good.”

As they hit the Salt Lick he looked at the posting as the Sheriff pointed them out. After he is done relaxing with them he will check it out and see if he can get some work with his line of skills, he can bet out here at least one pony can use his strong back. “Will do Sheriff, thanks.” He sits down and leans back, pulling his hat down over his eyes as he grins and speaks up so Thorn can hear him. “And Thorn, ah know you are following me. Ya, it’s me. ah’m back.” He chuckles. “Come join us, not need to shadow me. Got nothing to hide.”

• 3 weeks later...

Liviel gazed around the room that she now found herself in, smiling at all the ponies getting along. It always amazed her how easily ponies seemed to get along with others. Maybe it was part of their nature, like hoarding was a part of a dragon's nature. 

In any case, it had been making her journey throughout Equestria a pleasant one. The dog put that out of her mind as they all sat at a table, Snow's words about foals making her smile. 

"I think this is an enjoyable experience so far. What is the purpose of the salt though?" Liviel asked, picking up one of the cubes and inspecting it a bit. When Snow spoke up again, she placed the cube back into the bowl and looked over to him. 

"You know the gentlecolt that has been following us?" She asked, casting her gaze around to try and spot Thorn. Wether or not she could, she stood from her seat, bringing over another seat from a nearby table and offering the chair for Thorn. 

Thorn rolled his eyes in chagrin. He hoped he would go unnoticed for a while longer.

Sighing, the dapper donkey straightened his Mild West black string tie and stepped out into the light. "Good day to you Sherrif, Doc, and Louise. Also to you "Snow" and.. Miss.. Liviel, was it?"

The brown Jack accepted the seat with a polite nod "Thank you, Miss." He sat down, picking up a salt block thoughtfully, rolling it between his hooves as he looked at Dusty "How have you been?"

"Thorn!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed happily, "as I live an' breathe!  Whatcha doin' followin' us around like that?  Don't tell me ol' Madam Bistro sent ya ta look in on us?"

"Madam Bistro!  Where?" Doc Holly Day neighed excitedly until the unicorn stallion saw she wasn't around.  His demeanor soon changed back to a stern look on his face.  "Like the Sheriff asked, Thorn, why was ya shadowin' us?"

"Now, stop this guys!" Louise LeMare neighed defensively.  "This is a happy occasion!  We have guests here so let's be pleasant about all this.  Thorn, you're more than welcome to join us.  Snow and Liviel are visitors to our fair town.  I'm sure they would enjoy your insights and observations about Apploosa!"

"Reckon the lady's right, surry bout givin' ya the third degree thar, Thorn.  Snow, would ya like some more salt an' water?  Liviel, do y'all have a place like this one back home where ya live?"

"Has Madam Bistro returned, Thorn?" Doc whispered to the dapper donkey, trying hard not to be heard by the others.  Louise, who sat next to him, grinned widely and held back the urge to giggle.

Dusty holds his young for a time, letting them all go about asking things but soon most were being pointed at him too talk. “Yes, ah know Thorn very well.” The large stallion says with a grin. “Ah have been well mate… At least for the past year or so. Ain't  gonna  lie and say ah… Left in the best of shope. Losing everything you built up with years of work fall down in a week ain't easy on one’s health. But ah’m pulling myself back up and doing well. Takes more than that fateful week to keep this pony down.” He chuckles and looked over at the Doc, than back too Thorn with a raised eyebrow but asked nothing.

“Now ah’m not one to jump in with the rest. So ah’m just going to ask… Did she do well? Ah did just… Up and bail on the poor mare, ah hope she understands at the time things were plenty hard on me.” He asked too Thorn with his tone shifting into a more slow and thought out speech. “Bet you are spying for her, even if she did not ask. So ah’m betting you and here both want to hear me say something about it. Well ah got plenty, don’t worry. But ah’d like to save it for later and with her around.”

• 1 month later...

Liviel nodded in response to Thorn's attempt at her name, smiling gently as he took the offered seat. She contented herself with simply listening as she took her seat again, though the Sheriff's question made her look over at him. 

"Well, my home is a monastery. We did not have a place such as this, no. Long Guo as a whole has places like this though. I don't think any of the ones I visited quite served saltwater as their main product though." Liviel replied, looking around a bit. A small smile spread across her muzzle as she overheard Doc asking about Madame Bistro, though she said nothing about it. 

"Out of curiosity, who is Madame Bistro?" She asked after a few moments of silence. She was obviously well known around this town. 

Thorn looked at the group. "I suppose I must answer Miss Liviel first. She is the owner of the Bistro B&B hotel, a chain of such combined coffee shops and bed and breakfasts or hotels across Equestria. She is currently in Baltimare overseeing the arrival of a shipment of special coffee beans from Zebreca, where they will be roasted and coated in egg white for freshness after she approves the shipment, and sent to all her bistros and hotels. She will be back in a day or two... much to Doc's likely relief." he adds with a wink.

He blushed sheepishly at Dusty "And yes, I was spying on you, "Snow". She is doing quite well and will want to hear from you when she returns."

The donkey offers a wry smile to the diamond dog "I'm afraid you will not get as much enjoyment from the salt as we do. You can also get cider here if you prefer."

Archived