A Promise of Cherry Blossoms (Open to Neighpon OCs: All Others PM for Invite)

Bellosh

u80WuYXs.png

The spirit would not have thought the Diamond Dog, of all of them, was the most civil. Times do change, don't they? That was not to say Dogs weren't smart, but sometimes they were too stuck in their old ways. An old dog always had a hard time learning new tricks the, at least was the derogatory saying for a reason. The manifested barrel was filled to the brim with pickling brine and fat, juicy pickles. The chaotic mage did have a thing for cucumbers, so his adoration for gherkins would come in a close second. He did regard the Dog with a grin, but it was no good to stay too close to the bickering or he would be tempted to lean toward more desperate measures as a friend who took thrill in any measure of anarchy.

He twisted his body, cutting about the air like a ribbon in the wind. His flexible body was really quite… impressive. "You should be more thankful," his words to the mechanist were that of an arrogant beast. "I was quite tempt to turn it into a pickle juicer." His paw stroked against his chin's beard. "Though I do have a suggestion," he would offer to the mechanist, ears pinning back, eyes glowing red for a split second. "Make more friends than enemies." He snorted, clearly in a mood.

A troublesome mood. A remorseful mood.

He hardly had the wit to deal with it, tolerate it. Why had it bent him out of shape? Well given the fact he was at times a solid or a liquid and was such a gasser at parties… he supposed seeing such a grouse, sour-faced mare touched to his sense of sportsponyship. There had been a spirited mood set, one he was intent on participating in… Were he honest with himself though, something he was not often, he was actually spooked by the trouble. He knew who he was. His just being around seemed to aide in the presence of chaos creating natural tension. He felt… at fault. He had come looking to play and trouble arose before he had even…

It wasn't the mare's fault but her anger rose his hackles… his sense of guilt.

He was honestly divided between the harsh behavior displayed by the mare and his ego winding up as they bickered over such mundane matters regarding fault when it was obvious who it was.

His.

There were trees that sprouted pink from anywhere from a few hours to a few days! It was madness in nature itself! How could one be so under-appreciative of such natural chaos! Yet… such unnatural trouble arose. It was true. He was just a troublesome serpent.

He was very tempted to display his own might in favor of looking weak, as if he couldn't own up to his own deed.

But had he caused it? He wasn't sure.

His temper flared. He had to count to tens, three times over he went. It didn't seem to help. He was tense, limited, and overall without… help. It disgusted him. Discord, prince of chaos and confusion lamenting over lack of self reliance. The other two that became cross with the mechanist were… not wrong, but in the same breath perhaps their anger was misplaced. Why were pony dynamics so confusing?! He sulked in the tree, forelimbs crossed over his chest. His hind hoof was crossed over his talon as he laid that, tail swinging side to side. The raccoon, which acted as Discord's hat sat perched enjoying it's flower bud. When the mare drew close to the occupied tree the spirit pricked his ears forward, the scowl still painting his face as his eyes remained closed in presumed rest.

The raccoon watched as the bull stood without notice. The tiny, stripped critter was tempted by the pointy, velvety looking antler. It would reach out it's paw in attempt to grasp it, but Discord quickly recoiled his tail, the coon possibly bumping the bull on the way up. Discord rolled to his side before wiggling his claws to attempt and cause the tips of Lími's antler sprout tiny Sakura blossoms. A good shake would cause them to wilt. His cheek rest against his paw, his elbow on the branch. 

"Have you seen the things that have been sat upon by a full grown dragon?" He gave a good, long pause. "Neither have I, and I can assure you I've seen many a fantastic things in my lifetime. I have my doubts such a work focused mechanist has seen, at least, the frontside of a dragon." He felt… badly. "Do try not to be too harsh with her." He held out his paw, manifesting a cube of the metal that made up the machine. On it dangled a tag. "It was probably something previous of hers." And he had likely caused the chain reaction needed to ruin it.

He passed the cube to the raccoon who saluted and ran off, the metal chunk in his muzzle. The raccoon would look to deliver the cube to Bevel. Twas no ordinary cube though! There was a small button and when pressed a miniature golem in a tutu popped out, a little melody playing, before it went back inside. The tag had a simple message: I'll be your fellow.

Discord stared down at the couple, his tail's white tuft snaking around to try and boop Mei on the muzzle. "You dress quite extravagantly, for one so young, but I must say you own up to that dress as much as the mare owned up to her equally inanimate machine." Oh… well Mei did seem to flustered when her dress was fie'd upon. "And here I am sulking when I could be partying with what is the most chaotic event in nature to date. Mind if I tag along?" Though, dare they say no?

Well it was easy to say no to Discord. He wouldn't like it though. But that charming, dragon-toothed grin showed a most genuine request. Right?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

~~~Medo~~~

The mare that had the contraption seemed to be unenthused with her advice, and more of seemed to make more of a mockery of it than to take it to heart. She wondered if everypony in the scientific field of Equestria were that unethical, or if it was just the mare herself. Considering that she had just been to Equestria and had met a few of the medical ponies from there that were renown for some of their work. A few of them had also been skeptic on the fact that everything happened for a reason, but couldn't really deny the existence of destiny. One thing they did say though, was that it was up to the pony as to how they shape it, and the reason that something happened is whatever that pony made it be. Even something small, could prove to be a monumental success, or setback if overlooked. No matter though, perhaps one day in the future this mare will do well in finding her way that won't result in her being alone, but until then Medo was perfectly fine letting her wallow away with her self and her tech, that ultimately does pony kind no good at all if her research is kept to herself.

Medo then turned and simple gave the mare a firm nod. Not one that meant any sort of agreement, but one of acknowledgement, and willingness to cease to conversation. Ultimately, she had no desire to speak further, and the dragon thing made a very good comment in regards to making more friends than enemies. However, she wouldn't outright say that she was an enemy of this mare. Ultimately she didn't wish her any ill will, but in the grand scheme of things, her tech and research meant nothing to her. She was content to move on with her own existence and forget that she ever met the mare. When she later heard the dragon thing suggest accompanying the abmassadors, she at first raised a hoof, but then placed it back down. It really wasn't her place to answer for the two of them, even though she was fairly sure of the answer that was already held.

Another thing of disappointment for her was that it seemed nopony else had any use for the pickle brine, which meant that a good reagent was going to end up going to waste because of there just simply being too much. If she could find a way to get it home in time she might be able to get it under ground and freeze it to use later, but even then that would kill a lot of the properties in it. She let out a sigh, she took out a water skin and filled it with the brine, being all that she could process within the time that she had before losing it, and simply left the rest of it with a sign that said "free pickles and brine" on the side of the barrel before moving along herself.

oRYmoX5.png

His first blustered attempts at reassurance were more than enough to have Mei huffing again, and resisting the urge to cross her forelegs over her chest. 

However, like the gentle poet he was, Lími was quick to rebound with a more genuine compliment, and the blue Qilin felt herself relax as she was pulled against his side, thinking nothing of resting her head on one fluffy shoulder. "Yes, well," Mei said, innately pleased as she smoothed down a portion of her silken kimono with one hoof, and she smothered a shiver that threatened to erupt as one cloven hoof reached up to carefully brush against her mane. 

Yes...that Unicorn had clearly been a mare of machinery, clogs and gears, who wouldn't know beautiful if it was thrown in her face. Unlike some ponies who could appreciate beauty, enough to masterfully compress that appreciation into rhyme and reason and voice.

"You've always had an eye for beauty, Lími," the Qilin agreed, rather needlessly, but for some reason Mei felt the need to voice the thought aloud as their attentions remained on the hustle and bustle of Kyoma. The spot they had settled upon was not ideal, no - too near the city center, near the streets where ponies meandered back and forth - but it did afford a rather stunning view of the Palace Castle, and with the occasional cherry blossom floating its way down in front of her, the entire vision seemed something straight out of a fairytale. Beautiful view, inspired poet, and a sort of calm serenity that filled the air. All it really wanted was her prince in shining armor to share the time with, to lean against his strong shoulder and sigh over the fatally romantic view, have him wrap one leg around her shoulders as a silent promise to shelter and protect and cherish, and -

...wait a second.

Mei didn't mean to freeze up, but she couldn't really help the stiffening of her body as she stopped to think about everything she had just - well, everything she had just thought about. The scene really was straight from a fairytale, it felt. Everything she was feeling at this moment was everything she had ever dreamt she would feel as a small filly - esteemed, beautiful, near giddy with contentment. Those same sighs she had once uttered in dream-like fantasy were now threatening to escape from her with every breath she took. In this singular, clarifying moment, she had everything she had ever wanted. 

Aside from a shimmersilk robe of course, but that was something else entirely, and despite herself, Mei couldn't help pulling back from Lími's shoulder a bit, eyes slowly widening as a strange sense of realization fell over her that she simply had to share and -

- and froze, before promptly bursting out into giggles. 

Giggles, that were soon replaced with a startled "oomph!" as a fluffy white tail flit against her snout and away against just as quickly, causing Mei to tear her eyes away from the spectacle of cherry blossoms growing from Lími's antlers and up towards the tree, where she had - quite emphatically, she was a bit guilty to note - rather forgotten about the draconic creature taking refuge in the branches above. "Why I - thank you," Mei exclaimed, flushing a faint pink with pleasure at the creature's compliment. Rather...put-together though he was, he most certainly had better manners than the Unicorn! "It is made of the finest silk." Another brushing down of her kimono served to give her hooves something to do than any real purpose, and that served her purposes just fine, thank you very much.

...Though, a glance back at the Caribou bull next to her was enough to give her hooves something else to accomplish, and another giggle escaped unbidden as Mei reached forward to pluck one of the blossoms from his antlers, carefully tucking it behind one of her ears. "Oh, I don't suppose we would mind at all, would we Lími?" the blue Qilin answered carelessly before said Caribou could, glancing around as if there might happen to be a mirror lying about she could spy herself in, "perhaps you might help us find a good spot to watch the blossoms?" This was said with a glance at Lími, assuming he would be interested in finding a better area in order to fully appreciate the beautiful trees, though Mei couldn't help the curiosity lingering in her tone as she turned back towards the creature. 

"Though might I ask - well," Mei hesitated, wondering how in the world she could possibly phrase her curiosity without being rude. "I mean - what exactly are you? Are you a...a special kind of Serpent Dragon?" 

It took a few minutes for Akairo to recover fully from having her entire concept of reality and causality overturned.  Discord sometimes had that effect, on ponies and Kirin alike.  Eventually, she was able to register Bevel speaking to her, and with a last look back at the now-repaired machine, muttered, "Such... power..."  Destruction was easy, she had just done it, but to so easily repair a thing with the snap of his claws...

It all clicked in her mind.  She had seen power, true power, the likes of which few witnessed in their lifetimes.  Surely, it could be put to better use than random summonings of pickle brine!  "Oh, I'll be perfectly fine.  Better than fine; I see a light where there were once only shadows across the way!  Do you not see it too?  Would not the tyrants tremble upon their thrones to think of such power beyond their grasp or ability to subdue?"  Her eyes were shining, and an excited, no, eager grin was spreading across her face.  "Well, if you take such things as a matter of course, perhaps yours is a free country, where the legitimate and innocent fear no such things.  In which case, I envy you, but you may rest assured, the day of us joining your ranks shall soon be upon us!

And with an excited whoop, she took off for where the Draconeqqus was perched, right above Mei and Limi.  She barely paid them notice; foreign opinion was crucial and all, but there was only one being here she could see of direct benefit to the Revolution.  "Sir!"  She took off her hat and waved it at Discord.  "Now that I have seen you, I must ask, is it true?  Are the rumors I have heard from across the see of the free spirit of chaos true?"  This was probably not the first time he had faced such questionings, but perhaps the light of shining excitement, happiness, and near hero-worship were novel experiences.  Akairo was past caring now what her audience thought of her, of whether the Diamond Dog thought her unharmonious, or if Medo reported her to the police.  What need had the Revolution to fear, with such power near?

• 2 weeks later...

XqEzCsl.png

Did Lími really had an eye for beauty? The young bull liked to think so; how hard could it be? If something was reminiscent of death or decay, it was ugly (no offense, Chipper). If it was vibrant and full of life, it was beautiful. Certainly, the caribou was on the right track by having eyes for Mei.

Lími's situational awareness could have used tons of improvement however, seeing that he failed to notice the stiffening of Mei's body... or anything odd growing from his antlers. The caribou did glance at his counterpart when he felt her pulling back a slight distance, growing concerned with the qilin's widened eyes; "...Mei?" The young mare moved not a muscle, and for a brief moment, Lími feared the worst. And then...

Laughter.....

"Uhhhh, Mei?" Lími tilted his head, looking quizzically at his qilin partner; "Errr, w-what amuses you so?" For the life of him, the Son of Sigrun couldn't comprehend what could make Lián Mei feel so merry.

It was here that he appeared; the owner of a long tail that booped Mei's snout. Lími glanced upwards to behold a serpentine creature unknown to his eyes, nestled in the branches right above them! How did the caribou fail to catch sight of something as... distinctive as the possibly-draconic fellow? Whoever the strange being was, he was skilled in the art of flattery (although admittedly, it was rather easy to flatter Mei).

Before Lími had a chance to figure out the creature's identity, a more distressing matter revealed itself. Still in a state of amusement, Mei went over to the caribou bull, whereupon a startled Lími felt like the qilin was tugging at his antler! "Mei! What are you...?" Lími didn't get a chance to finish before Mei pulled away, revealing a cherry blossom that wasn't in her hoof before!

What... was going on?

Now that the caribou's thoughts turned towards his horns, Lími perceived something... off about them. Like they were heavier; only by a tiny amount, but just enough to feel fluctuations with his normal equilibrium. And the flowery smell pervading the young bull... Lími didn't remember applying any fragrance on himself. Something... was happening to Lími!

"Mei!" The kimono-clad deer of Whitescar anxiously brought one hoof to check his horns; that was all he needed to discover the truth. With a gasp, the young bull shot up on all-fours, his eyes filled with terror and his voice oozing with panic; "My antlers... they're sprouting flowers!!!" As this was wasn't normal behavior for deer antlers, Lími could only assume the worst; some curse must be afflicting him! "STAY BACK!" he took several steps away from Mei and the serpent dragon thingy; "Or you might catch the same hex as I!!!"

2nVY1oEm.jpg

As bevel was gathering up her equipment and Pushing it back up the hill. Again, she had to stop to address the spirit of chaos as he twisted himself over. The words he spoke were harsher in tone than she would have expected. Those glowing red eyes she saw flicker for a moment managed to get a gulp from her, "Well... Thank you for not turning my machine into a pickle juicer." She said with a sigh of relief once he flew off once again. Now she could actually get back to work! 

Again she pushed the console back up the hill and made herself comfy. Thanks to some large rocks she picked up on her way up the hill she managed to prop the equipment properly in place so there would be no more of that rolling away. An eyebrow arched as she felt a faint tapping at her hind-leg. Looking back, she saw a raccoon holding a box. She turned to face the creature and took the offered box. Carefully she poked the button and watched the strange display. "I'll be... your... fellow?" she read the tag aloud, "Well... huh." She heaved a sigh and put the box at her side to mull this incredibly strange day over in her mind.

-Exit Bevel-

6Fujs1Jm.png

Leave it to Hoshi to zone out during the Cherry blossom festival. She'd been looking over small magical projected image of an upcoming opponent for a later match in the dome. This one had a similar fighting style to herself and Kuzunoha so it was best to study up on his moves. She noticed a recurring pattern in his special attack. Her minty green eyes looked sharp and focused on the little projection. This last study of motion and she might be able to figure out a viable counter. In her strange over-focused state she simply muttered out a sequence in sync with the little projections movements, "[Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, kick ... and punch.]" Yep, that's his weird little combination. Now that she had it memorized... and a certain golem had quite enough of her wasting the day by staring at her magical device it was promptly stolen away by a quick little paws of her shadow: Kuzu.

The little golem held on to the recording device and pointed to the scenery as if to tell her that they came to watch the blossoms so she would very well watch these blossoms, darn it! "[Yea, Yea, I know. Just wanted to make sure we don't lose the next match.]" The pegasus on a neat little  blanket patted the side of her place underneath a tree where there was some sort of little ruckus going on. Hoshi paid it no mind. Whatever was behind her could wait after the scenery was so relaxing. The hills before her slowl being covered in a snow of pink petals as they fell from the trees. The atmosphere was almost perfect but then came a panicked, slightly shouting voice. The words were not unfamiliar, Hoshi had family in Equestria so she could recognize a voice speaking in it. Problem was she was out of practice and would need him to slow down a bit before she could actually formulate a response.

Her limbs were still asleep from the lack of moving she'd been doing on her blanket so getting up from a very relaxed position was not easy. It was made even less easy when the foreigner took several quick steps backwards and wound up tripping over her. The strange now laying across her midsection: if the two were observed from above they'd look like a plus sign. 

After that initial "OOF!" fromt he impact, Hoshi pulled herself up and slid out from underneath the stranger. Kuzu helped her along by pushing Limi from behind so his weight didn't bear down on her. Once she got out from under the foreigner her jaw dropped. A caribou?! Here?! Well maybe this one was on some weird mission or something, still it was odd to see one of the species that so often ravaged neighpon actually laying down and looking ... well much less threatening than the stories from the coasts of Neighpon said. Do all caribou have flowers growing from their antlers?

"Do... you need... the help, Mister... Care-boo?" She said in a fractured bit of Equestrian as she took his hoof and flapped backwards to help the smallish bull back to his cloven hooves. Kuzu in the meantime hopped nimbly on Limi's back and pointed to the tree he'd been stumbling away from. Hoshi took one look back again her jaw dropped- or it would have had she not caught it in time. She gulped at the sight of Discord from the legends... this was turning into a bizarre day. Eyes shot to Limi, then to discord, rinsed, and repeated and soon she pointed to the caribou, "You are friends with..." Her hoof switched over to Discord's direction, "Him?"

6SMi1qDG.png

The spirit had settled on the branch like a sphynx on a cliff. His feathered belly had puffed up so the rough bark didn't scratch up his underbelly. His long tail coiled about to keep him balanced, though such a behavior was hardly necessary as the being carried the ability to defy gravity. He was quite large when compared to ponies, but in length alone. We're he upon all fours he barely exceeded the shoulder height of an adult, pony stallion. His profile, while holding some pony features was long muzzled and ended with the nostrils of a fire breathing dragon. 

Discord would assure you he has never smoked a day in his life! Disgusting habit. Mei's jubilant response caused a smile to paint his features. It was wholly natural for others to be disconcerted by his magic. Aside from the fact it was not unicorn magic, or any such that existed within or out of Equestria, it could be heart stopping. For those who had no positive reinforcement when it came to the lyrical arts it was even more a shock. His was a simple act, so those familiar with parlour magic, a more casual form of the skills, had light hearted reactions.

He had slithered from his perch and now floated below the branch. his tail curled behind him. The raccoon soon returned from his delivery and would climb up the dangling scale enveloped limb. The "hat" relaxed against the spirit's lower back, riding his tail while settling with his pawful of petals, fallen cherry blossoms it was able to catch, to snack upon. Discord crossed his claw over his chest so it could shelf his right elbow. He rest his chin into his paw and watched as it slowly began to piece itself together in Lìmi's mind that something was indeed, unnaturally present on his antlers. He panicked and called such a fashion statement a curse!

"How rude, these blossoms, however brief their cycle, are quite lovely." Discord looked offended as his jaws parted, a small gasp inhaled. "I'd say the blossoms are an improvement on such as you." He cooed, head turning slightly as the critter hanging on him chittered and motioned to mare Lìmi was using as a welcome mat. "Careful, you shouldn't get so excitable, you may come to unsettle the locals." He glanced away, trying not to giggle, but he snorted obviously.

The Pegasus mare was quite rude. His ears pinned back as she seemed to grow confused by his presence. While he had the luck of not being the most notable celebrity on this island chain, he wasn't unknown. He raised his claws, letting sunglasses glad over his eyes as if he sought to hide from the paparazzi as the kirin buggered him about his identity.

"Me?" He moved to slither down, warping out the tree and hovered behind the Caribou's precious companion. "Why of course. Friends... Friends planning on some lovely sightseeing." He declared, letting a weave of a crown of blossoms appear around his crooked horn, upon Mei's head and, finally, looped around Lìmi's muzzle if he didn't duck it. 

In the caribou's struggling he would be able to molt the blossoms. They were not permeant, as much of his magic could be. He landed down on his hind legs, taking a most crooked stance As his forelimbs helped to keep him balanced, tail acting like an anchor to hold him perched awkwardly. The raccoon had remained on the tree, snacking away. The other mare, twas not forgotten. At least he thought it was a mare. This wasn't a pony so he had a hard time really conceptualizing this and that. He'd been around ponies long enough to guess by their looks, but looks did have a habit of lying.

Which gave him a brilliant idea!

He turned an eye to Akairo whole Lìmi proceeded to panic. "Rumors are a dangerous thing dear. You should be careful just who you call out." His eyes gave a glow as if in threat, but he let out a raucous laugh and held out his claw. "I rather past, incomplete, ventures not be regarded." He still hated the idea of losing. "Are you to join the tour group as well?" He floated around, a camera in paw. "Group shot!

A bright flash filled the vicinity as Discord took an inopportune photograph, leaving the others either mid blink or flailing. Perfect. He settled back down to examine a map. "So what glittering beacon of culture should we see first?!" He acted casually about it, as if a possibly dangerous legend wasn't flopping about.

Liviel blinked to herself as everyone seemed to simply go their separate ways and none of them responded to her offer. Medo seemed to be the only one left nearby, but she also seemed busy with the pickles. 

"If you require assistance, do not hesitate to ask. I shall be over there." Liviel said to Medo, pointing towards where they all seemed to gather again. After a moment, the dog made her way over to the new group, smiling a bit at them. 

"Hello again to you all." She said, giving a small bow to the group, with her eyes lingering on Limi and Mei briefly before she noticed the new pegasus and her accompanying golem. Liviel blinked at that, then gave her a smile as well. 

"Hello to you too. I am Liviel Mizu, it is a pleasure. Who are you, if you do not mind?" She greeted, smiling gently at the mare. 

~~~Medo~~~

With the mare with the contraption leaving, Medo found herself looking amongst the crowd that was remaining. There was the wierd draconic type creature thing that had made the pickle brine, the Caribou and Mei, that for some reason haven't made their way towards the shogun or wherever he was currently supposed to be. Didn't they know that it was very dishonorable to keep him waiting!? She wanted to address that again but didn't want to seem like she was being pushy either. That would also bring dishonor to her, and she'd rather not bring any more to her than she might have already brought. One thing was for sure thought. She hadn't had anywhere near the sorts of dishonor that Akairo had brought, although she got a sense that she wasn't a pony that cared much for honor, considering.

She let out a long sigh, giving a nod to Liviel when she told her that if she needed assistance that she could find her with where everypony else was gathering again. With that she looked around, trying to find someplace that she could move to so that she could best enjoy the festival as she could before finally being able to get home. The smell of the food that was in the area from the many stalls was starting to make her hungry, and she definitely missed her food from the homeland. If she could afford it, she'd buy all the noodles that she could, but that would just end up being a waste in the end. Her objective now was to find the nearest ramen cart to get something to eat.

At least that was the plan before she stopped dead in her hooves as she heard a very, very, very familiar voice from behind her. It appeared that she was addressing the Caribou and Mei, asking if they were friends with the draconic being. She wasn't sure if any of them was friends with him yet or not, but she knew that at the very least she wasn't an enemy of him. She didn't know him well enough to call him a friend yet though, as they had literally just met. Hoshi on the other hoof... was a friend of her foalhood and she grew up around on the island when she spent time with her family there. Without a second thought and after confirming in her mind this was who she thought it was Medo took off in a dead sprint for her friend and jumped to her in attempt to pounce her in a hug. "HOSHI!!!!!!" she yelled quite excitedly making sure that she wouldn't not see her coming.

A single-minded focus was key to a Revolutionary; losing sight of the ultimate goal was just the first step down a long, slippery slope that ended in ultimate failure, not even attaining the status of a footnote in history.  Paradoxically, however, the only torch-bearer and de facto leader of the cause could not afford to ignore anything that might be a help to her, and really anything might be.  The slightest show of discontent was enough to start a conversation.

Thus, Akairo found herself hampered somewhat in her conversation with Discord, as at all times she had at least one eye elsewhere.  First, perhaps, to young Limi, who seemed unduly concerned about getting flower petals on his antlers- no, wait, they were sprouting into bloom.  Chaos, definitely.  All the more reason to focus, right.  "That is a... neat trick."  Leading off with a compliment was the best way to open negotiations, right?  Suddenly having her picture taken was unexpected, but it might be useful later.  If the Shogun started harassing them for 'fraternizing with a known revolutionary,' there might be openings for a recruitment.  "By the Divine Wind, I don't think any ruler could bind you!  I must confess, Discord-san, to me you are a symbol of liberty, rather than mere chaos.  Have you thought of what you could mean to, do for those in bondage?  I often have, but my own strength seems insufficient to the task."

She would have gone on, but her other eye was noticing the approach of others.  Most of the others, in fact.  Liviel was accompanying Medo, and Akairo knew that she would have to watch her words around that supporter of the regime.  Plus, there was another newcomer, a pegasus on the golem circuit?  The kirin mare didn't follow the news there, but apparently this Hoshi was known to the unicorn.  Hmph.  She kept watch with her other eye, knowing that her next words would have to be chosen with care.  "I know of those whom I have been seeking to help for some time.  I believe with your assistance, the captives may be set free."

oRYmoX5.png

In truth, Mei supposed it was a bit unkind of her, to burst into laughter at Lìmi's abrupt realization over his predicament. 

However, surely she could be forgiven, because in all honesty the Caribou was being utterly adorable

Said adorableness was quick to turn into true panic, though, and before Mei could dispel any thoughts of illness from the young bull's mind, Lìmi was swiveling backwards to fall over a...Pegasus, who was just suddenly there. Had she been sitting there the whole time? How had they not noticed her before? Whatever the case, she was suddenly there, and Lìmi was falling over her to land atop her, causing Mei to shoot upwards as run revelry turned into a potentially dangerous situation. 

A runaway machine was quite enough for one day, thank you very much, there was no need to add a Caribou-Pegasus ball rolling down the hill to the mix.

She needn't have worried, however, and neither did Lìmi, it seemed...the blossoms had come loose quite easily with his shaking about, spreading a rather beautiful sheen of petals throughout the wind. Mei almost found cause to be a little upset - they had looked rather fetching atop Lìmi's antlered head - but a sudden crown of the same blossoms appeared on her own head, causing the Qilin to start a bit as she craned her neck upwards towards the dragonesque creature now folded up beside her. He seemed agreeable to accompanying them to a better flower viewing spot, then, which pleased her just fine. But before Mei could so much as open her mouth, Akairo had suddenly reentered the picture, and was engaging the serpent in some conversation - something that sounded like boring political agenda rather than romantic cherry blossom notions - leaving the Qilin to huff somewhat petulantly under her breath. 

"Well I do believe - " the vivid blue mare began, in attempt to indulge on the creature's offer to tour around with them, and was subsequently stalled yet again as more bodies began turning up underneath the tree. Specifically, the charming Diamond Dog from earlier had seemingly followed along Akairo's wake, and Mei nodded politely even as she felt her smile beginning to strain at the corners. "I think it would be best if - " Mei tried again, and this time an ear splitting shout had the Qilin's ears flinching backwards onto her head as the Unicorn, also from their previous group, suddenly came bounding towards the tree, apparently intent on the Pegasus Lìmi had run into. 

The picture perfect serenity and romance of the cherry blossoms were quickly falling to the wayside, visions of long walks underneath swirling petals making way for reunions and hysterics and photographs, and the camera shuttered is completion of a captured moment in time.

mGokqgQ.png

"WOULD YOU ALL KINDLY. SHUT. IT." 

The fire breath that accompanied her words was hot enough to rise around her in a storm of smoke and heat, its ejection from her mouth rendering parts of her beautiful kimono singed, but not enough to cause any harm to the nearby bodies. At any other time, she might have taken a moment to mourn the loss of her lovely crown of cherry blossoms, which, too, had gone up in smoke at the steamed breath, but in all honesty, Mei was having a little bit of trouble concentrating around the ringing in her ears. 

"I have traveled," the blue Qilin said, wisps of smoke exiting from her mouth with every heaving breath she took, "all the way from Garden Gait - " heave "- to see the cherry blossoms - " wheeze "- in a scene of serenity -" breath "- and romance - " hiss "- worthy of the fables -" rasp "- and I will not -" gasp "- be denied -" breathe "this, moment." 

Mei wasn't entirely sure what sort of look she had on her face as she turned her head towards Lìmi, but she wasn't too much worried about that sort of thing as one of her hooves reached out to clench the Caribou's foreleg, because there were clearly more important things to be worried about at the moment, weren't there?

...Yes?

"I do believe," Mei extrapolated, vaguely aware of the way her left eye twitched slightly as she regarded the young bull, "that we were about to find ourselves a peaceful. And picturesque. Viewing spot. To view

the

blossoms

weren't we

...Lìmi?..." 

XqEzCsl.png

"WAAA-UMPH!"

Well, this was just great. In his state of panic, Lími managed to trip backwards on one of the ponies trying to view one of the cherry blossoms. An extremely unfortunate development to be sure... but at least the caribou's own blooms detached themselves from his antlers. Thankfully, the victim of Lími's latest calamity took no offense to the former's accident (or his species), kindly helping him get up after freeing herself.

Groaning as he got up, Lími felt an odd sensation on his back but he didn't have time to look further as the other pegasus asked about the draconic serpent being the other tree over. "Em," the young bull took a long look at the odd-looking fellow; "I can't say that I know the stranger very well." Although it did feel as if it was someone Lími should have known, but the scholarly caribou's memories were too foggy at the time to access his mental archives.

"Please, forgive my-" It was no use. The pegasus Lími ran into was being well-met by a familiar bystander from before. Wishing not to intrude on this apparent reunion, the caribou brought the focus of anxieties back on his horns. Tentatively, he brought a hoof to one antler only to feel nothing out of the ordinary. A cursory glance revealed small pink petals on the grass around Lími. Hmmm... they must have fallen off, ending that bit of unexplained supernaturalness. But that didn't explain the oddly mournful feeling that came with seeing those miniature petals lying-

WOOSH!

Since Lími was looking down, he managed to catch a sudden wreath of flowers without even trying. No time to question why it appeared though; at that precise moment, something within Lián Mei snapped. What came out of her next was nothing less than a dragon's full wrath... complete with smoke! Even the qilin's righteous outburst over discovering Lími's true heritage back at the Grand Galloping Gala paled in comparison to the rage on display now. Indeed, it was plenty enough to make the Son of Sigrun tremble in fear.

Lími tiptoed closer as his companion ranted, hoping to inject some soothing words to Mei once she relaxed her fiery tongue. That idea flew out the window when the face of a demoness whipped towards the caribou bull, and she didn't think twice about snatching him back in her iron grasp. Brought face-to-face with the avatar of Tartarus itself, Lími conjured the absolutely bravest smile he could muster. "O-o-o-of c-course, my lady," gulped the scion of Vikings; "Yourwishismycommand!"

And now, to face the scrutiny of everyone else. "Ummmm errrr, you-you must excuse us!" The stuttering caribou stared in all directions as if pleading; first towards the odd dragon serpent, towards the diamond dog from earlier, then back at the dragon again. All the while, he was gently leading Mei away from the cherry tree (and the bystanders) and back towards the bustling avenue.

"Im-important matters at the Palace to attend to. We must be, eehhhhhh, o-on our way! Eh heh heh..... fond farewells for all................ oh, Odýrr....." If mercy smiled upon Lími, nobody would do anything else to fuel the flames of indignation in Mei's heart. Or question the caribou's earlier claim of having a vital audience with the Shogun right after Mei blurted out her true goals.

Who ever thought the nightmares would come to fruition this soon?

• 2 weeks later...

tsg1Nbqm.jpg

"I see..." This was all so beyond Hoshi's pay grade. She came here to relax and watch the blossoms falling with her little partner and now the spirit of disharmony that her grandpa would tell her stories about was sitting in a tree nearby. Then came a diamond dog, she looked nice enough... a very fluffy canine who looked very pet-able. Even with all the things going on, the pegasus tried to keep her cool and addressed the serpentine chimera hovering nearby as well as Liviel, "Well... It is nice to meet both of them...Are you new to Neighpo-" Her second line of questioning in her fragmented equestrian was stopped by a the uttering of her name by someone fast approaching.

She was about turn to face this new pony only be harshly tackled to floor and pulled into a strong hug. She wheezed as she felt the embrace tighten, okay... this felt familiar. "Konnichiwa... , Medo-...san." She said with what little air was left in her lungs. Kuzu had been getting annoyed, seeking something to do while all of this was going on, the little golem tugged at the hand of Liviel and pointed to Hoshi in the grasp of Medo as if asking that she help separate the two before one suffocated. 

Having enough air in her to speak she looked to Liviel, "I'm... Hoshi. Shirogane Hoshi."

The fire works being made by the caribou's date were taking a backseat teh the necessary desire to breath welling up inside her, so much so that as soon as Medo's grasp loosened she filled her lungs with it... only to wind up hacking harshly and wheezing as she inhaled some lingering smoke. "C-Cah... " Another loud, hoarse cough. "Can't help but... w-wonder why this festival wound up drawing in so many... eccentrics." 

6SMi1qDG.png

He admired his work. While wholly unintentional, his nature did seem to just put ponies, and Caribou off. His ears folded back, Akairo's chattering hardly falling on deaf ears. Discord was listening intently to her declarations which sounded quite… hmm, revolutionary. He tittered to himself at the idle verbal pun. He knew her types. He has been at the center of many localized groups out to topple local, tyrannical regimes. Why he himself had taken paw in it, with disastrous results. He supposed Celestia and Luna's ponies weren't the right choice to mock and entrap in his autocracy. He supposed it was hypocritical and he was growing attritional toward the ill begotten plan. While it was more a stain on his ego, it was not a cycle he wished to begin again, at least not without a plan.

"Liberty?" He responded to the dissident. "My dear I do hope you mean villeinage." He teased. "Of course your strength is ineffective if you seek to change an idea with brute force." Just like a pony, really. Even if they weren't... Hmm. "Oh I don't know how much help I can be. Besides we should enjoy the festivities first, no? It is my day off." If Equestria can go a day without a Changeling invasion.

Though every day was his day off, no? It was difficult to discern his intentions much of the time. The creature was, in one word, multitudinous in his physical nature. Comprised of so many creatures it was nearly impossible to read his behaviors or predict his actions. On one end he could lay about for hours, as if feline in nature. Other times he would snort or nicker in annoyance as if he were a pony. By his claims he was a draconequus, though sometimes he was chaos, and others a pony. Truly pinning down his nature was trying to secure the ephemeral beauty of a cherry blossom. But perhaps that was the point. If no pony could reach him… no pony could use him.

"Discord." He offered Hoshi, who seemed to not grasp Equestrian fully. Though Discord dabbled in Olde Equestrian and New, as well as a few non native, and likely dead, languages from other locales. "It's rude to point." Lími's panic made his week. 

With a click, flash, and hiss the camera spit out the polaroid. Discord pulled it from the camera with his paw, tossing the device so it vanished into a wayward portal and was swallowed up. He inhaled through his nose and blew out against the picture until appeared the image. The spirit offered a soft smile. It was such a lovely image. This was what chaos could be. So serene. It was the singular moment the spirit sought to achieve. It was the moment between peace and rapture. Absolute and pure disorder. It was a piece of art that was going into his scrapbook!

Such a large reaction from such a tiny Cariboo--ooh?? The loud shrill from the pickle juice unicorn came from left field. Or was it right? Well either way the green pony was now attached to the pale mare. It had been enough to cause him to flinch, his senses a bit sensitive sometimes. He did sometimes forget just how much energy ponies put into their existing. Speaking of senses… his muzzle scrunched as he smelled… was that anarchy--? No that was fire. Definitely fire. His ears perked as a fireball did well to singe quite a bit  his ears perked as he tucked away the picture. It was the beauty and curse of chaos. He glanced to Akairo as if to make a point.

Sometimes chaos isn't the sort of change you were looking for. But maybe she just didn't fully understand that power… has its own mind.

"Oh, departing so soon? I did hope we could have had conversations about culture, socialite things like that." He called to Mei and Lími. "Well good luck with your appointment. We should meet for tea later on." He grinned at the young bull who seemed unable to decide where to look wiggling his paws digits. "I'll make sure you get a copy~!" The spirit lowered down until his hind talon and hoof touched ground.

He looked to the remaining and grin widely. The Diamond Dog seemed rather calm compared to those he was used to in Equestria. They were a bit wily and energetic. This one was way too zen! The pickle pony from earlier was still glued to the little sea-colored mare. The spirit floated up, leaning back on his shorter tail, at least short when compared to the length of his torso. The feathered chimera let the camera hover in his paw before vanishing. Hoshi, as she had introduced herself, seemed quite bad at speaking Equestrian, so the language here was that different? Hmm. That gave him ideas! He laughed and crossed his forelimbs into the sleeves of what was not a very fancy yukata over his chest, unlike the one he created for his pony form. This one had sleeves of dual colors: green and blue, while the torso was a midnight purple in the front with white star spray, and sunset orange in the back with an opposing spray. It was truly a chaotic experience! The spirit certainly was having a blast. 

"Eccentrics? I would like to say you all are a colorful lot!" He clearly did not count himself in that equation, and why would he? "My friend ..." He motioned to the raccoon who had dozed off, belly full of cherry blossoms. He shifted his claw to Akairo. "Aki here--" He was messing with names again. "Were just admiring the prestige of this heritage. What do you all do here? Live, work? Play?" Yes yes what did they do for fun?! "Are there to be fireworks?" Oh he did love fireworks. 

He erupted into a burst of light, reforming, still wearing the yukata, floating behind the others. He seemed practically, and literally, exploding with joy, his mood shifting form its earlier, huffy tenseness. 

The real world at large was a thing that rarely broke through to the obsessive in this world.  But, beyond a certain limit of time, you cannot avoid the truth, regardless of whether you can handle it.  Akairo's focus was shattered by Mei's outburst, setting her physically aback and forcing her to re-assess her situation.  It... was considerably more chaotic than when she had first started, which she supposed was only par for the course, as far as Discord was concerned.

"Er.... gomesai?"  She called out belatedly to the departing qilin and caribou couple.  She briefly considered following after, but dismissed it as unwise.  The qilin needed time to calm down, and seemed in no hurry to see the shogun... regardless of the wishes of her companion, it seemed?  Curious, but ultimately not important.

The presence of the locals and the diamond dog were something that she felt needed to be addressed, but first, the Lord of Chaos.  "I meant what I said, and I said what I meant."  Not always the same thing, but sincerity was entwined with the flames of passion in her eyes.  "And I do have plans, give me that much credit, but... this is not the time, or place, to discuss such things.  Don't you think we've done enough to set off a holiday?"  She nodded towards the upset and departing couple, before turning to regard the other two.

Medo seemed to know this... Hoshi?  Very well, seeing the tightness with which they hugged.  Seeing the little golem get Liviel's attention, Akairo caught the diamond dog's eyes too and jerked her head towards the suffocating kirin.  They would both help pry the two apart, allowing the poor mare to breathe.  "Breathe free, fellow neighpon."  The black-jacketed mare said dryly, "Your face is vaguely familiar somehow..."  Taking another glimpse down to the little golem, gears began to turn in her own head.  "A golem trainer?"

oRYmoX5.png

The ringing in her ears was slowly being replaced by the hustle and bustle of busy festival goers, which in turn was being drowned out by nothing in particular, save the hoof tightly clutched in her own. In fact, most of Mei's world seemed to have settled down and around that hoof, grounding her in some sort of clarity that assured her of one, important, detail. 

So much so, in fact, that she hardly even registered where they were going, what they were doing, and other such useless information. Mei was entirely focused on that hoof leading her to somewhere she wanted to go, and made no note as they passed up the busy streets, moving seemingly at random and with the flow of traffic that pushed them up closer towards the Palace Castle. All throughout, Mei kept focused on that hoof, her lifeline, as the ringing in her ears slowly began to die out further, the noise from all around no longer pressing against her but once more welcoming her into the fold of life happening on all sides. 

A breath. A deeper one. Yes, she was fine. She had simply...lost her temper a bit. Mei abruptly pulled her hoof away from Lími's own as they stalled along the side of the main road, in order to take another deep breath and compose herself. Smooth back her mane. Brush off the dust. Fluff out her singed and scorched robe, composed and beautiful, like a true -

"MY ROBE," Mei screeched, loudly enough to draw the startled attention of passerbys, but the dragon mare ignored them as she turned in a wild circle to inspect the damage she hadn't even realized she had caused and - yup, there it was. Telltale signs of a breath attack that had been hot enough to burn through parts of the delicate and intricate silk work of her beautiful kimono. The vivid blue Qilin felt a moan rip from her throat as, even as she watched, a deeply singed portion along the outer edged finally gave way to its predicament and fell off, resting on the ground like a common piece of trash. 

She didn't even want to think about what he mane looked like, now. 

"Oh Lími," the aromatherapist bemoaned, and tried her best not to let the frustrated tears she could feel building up at the corner of her eyes fall, "why do these things keep happening to me? All I want," Mei continued, building up steam as imagined transgressions played on repeat in her mind, "is to experience all these things that I've read about and dreamed about and I'm finally getting to experience, but they keep on getting ruined by all sorts of terrible things!" she cried out, whirling to face her companion fully. "This festival and that costumed Nightmare Night, and the Grand Galloping - " 

- it -

Hm.

...ah.

Shame, sudden and uncompromising, swept through Mei then as she stared at Lími...her sweet, gentle, Lími, who never once complained about her outbursts, or deflected when she demanded, or caviled at her ever changing whims and fancies. Lími, who made grand promises and then kept them, held only by his word and honor. 

She...she knew that she was...well, hardheaded at the best of times, and at the worst, well...'more stubborn than a mule,' as her parents would say, and ignore her confused 'what's a mule?' in response. Mei was...aware, that she had a tendency to push for what she wanted in life - and there was nothing wrong with that, thank you very much, nothing wrong at all. An Empress made choices and stood her ground and got what she wanted, through the sheer adoration and praise of her subjects. 

...But an Empress was also kind and sensitive to her subjects, and recognized loyalty and love when due. 

Standing there, staring at her Caribou companion, Mei became distinctly aware of her disheveled state, the uncomfortable feeling of being uncleaned and singed, of this wonderful trip to Neighpon not going exactly the way she envisioned...and the very fact that they were standing in Neighpon during the Sakura Spring Festival. That they had traversed the grounds of the Nightmare Night celebration, despite Lími's hesitant responses to her letters. That they had waltzed across the ballroom of the Royal Castle, never mind the discomfort Lími had clearly felt. 

Mei tried to became distinctly aware of the last time she had done, sacrificed something of herself, for LímiI's sake in return...and came up wanting. 

"I'm," sorry, the young mare tried to say, her voice coming out in a sort of high pitched warble that couldn't have been more unlike the strong commanding voice of an Empress if she had tried"I don't mean to - " Mei tried again, and again came up short, not even sure what she wished to say. Didn't mean to bring up the Grand Galloping Gala? Didn't mean to complain about her robe? Even though her kimono was an utter travesty in its current state, that it was. 

What? Mei hadn't the slightest idea...or maybe she did.

...Which is when Mei became suddenly aware of the fast moving shape approaching over Lími's shoulder with startling speed. The young mare hardly had time to flex her jaw in surprise before it was upon them - and more important, upon Lími.

"Young sir!" the pony cried out, a young looking, brown Earth Pony with a bright yellow mane, "young sir! Oh thank the ancestors." Nearly each word came between great wheezing gasps of air, as if the pony had run long and hard all over the city to find them. "Please forgive us, sir and ma'am - we were not even aware of any visiting dignitaries arriving during the Sakura Spring Festival! We only just heard of the arrival of visiting Caribou diplomat and his Kirin companion today! We meant no dishonor in keeping you waiting to wander the city on your own - please, please! Allow us to accompany you to the Palace Castle!"

"Huh?" Mei said, rather eloquently, as a group of ponies seemingly appeared out of nowhere behind the winded messenger, all of them bowing profusely as they began herding both her and her Caribou companion down the street, festival goers parting ways on either side. The Qilin was too shell-shocked to do anything but follow along for a long moment...though, surprise quickly gave way to startled amazement as the messenger's words reeled back and forth in her head. 

"P-Palace Castle?" the Qilin exclaimed, quite quickly forgetting her moment of profound introspection, along with the fact that the meeting between Shogun and Caribou diplomat wasn't even suppose to exist in the first place. Even her tattered and singed appearance remained in the background. All rational thought in Mei's mind was quickly becoming encompassed by the beautiful architecture slowly looming further and further over their heads as they drew closer to the Palace Castle, until it felt like her eyes might fall out of her head at any moment. "We're going to...into the...Palace, Castle?!"  

"No, though I do not live in this country. My home is in Long Guo, but I have visited this town before." Liviel responded to Hoshi's question of them being new to Neighpon. She smiled at the hug Medo gave, it was clear they were good friends. What also became clear was that Medo was squeezing much too tightly. That would have to wait a moment though, as Mei practically exploded in anger and the dog had to move back to avoid a bit of flame. 

"Please calm yourself, Mei. Enjoy your time with your loved one." Liviel called after them, frowning as the qilin and caribou left. With that taken care of though, she focused on Hoshi and, with the help of Akairo, pried the two ponies apart somewhat. She didn't want to break the hug, so she simply loosened it. 

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Hoshi, though I wish things were a bit calmer. I am simply here to watch the beauty of nature in action." The dog said, smiling at Hoshi. "I see you are already acquainted with Medo. How did you meet, if you don't mind?" She added, looking between the two ponies. 

XqEzCsl.png

Lími might have escaped from that debacle back on that hill, but he was still in a world of anguish.

...Well, okay; Lián Mei's lament for her ruined kimono made for far more impressive melodramatics. Nonetheless, Lími couldn't help but feel responsible for the mess his qilin partner was in. It seemed like nothing had gone right ever since the two stepped off the boat at Kyoma Harbor. This unpleasantness further reminded Lími that nothing ever seemed to go right when he was on some excursion with Mei. Not that he regretted fully reconciling with the dragon mare before that dreadful Nightmare Night, but perhaps the Ancient Ones were trying to tell the caribou in their mysterious way to never ignore his gut instincts?

Just think; Lími could have been back in his comfy Canterlot residence engaged in his placid literary pursuits, instead of believing in some delusional fantasy where he and Mei were a pair bound by their hearts. Just how could a relationship bloom anyway in a time like this? When all their times spent together turned into fiascoes, one way or another?

Maybe the Universe was right; Lími was better off keeping Mei at foreleg's length. Was one mare ever worth so much misfortune? The young bull... couldn't find an answer to that question right now.

It was almost a relief when a pony, apparently a servant of the Shogun, managed to track Lími and Mei down. Lími didn't care how word reached the Shogun's ears of that "diplomatic business" the caribou made up as a white lie. Under normal circumstances, Lími would be stinking of fright-induced sweat. At this point though, anything to distract from the travelers' current woes was welcome.

Given his lack of morale, Lími had nothing left to fear; all out of Odýrrs to give.

"You have our everlasting thanks," the Son of Sigrun gratefully nodded his head; "Please lead the way."

-------------------

"I hear naught but birds in the courtyard," Lími passed an observation along to Mei as they passed through the Palace Castle's gardens. Behind the moats and walls, only a faint murmur remained of the noisy commotion of the rest of the Neighponese capital. And unlike the rest of Kyoma, not a soul was found beneath the cherry trees present on the Palace grounds. If any shred of hope remained... if everything all worked out, Lími and Mei would become the Shogun's honored guests, earning the qilin mare her own private cherry tree to sit under.

Lími might have lost much of his spirit so far... but he'd still be damned first before being called an oathbreaker!

ESYq1aF.png

It took him a few moments to properly comprehend what the messenger was saying.

As it was, Rakuen Ryuichi Heika, Shogun of Neighpon and First Born Dragon of Paradise, continued to stare at the now fidgeting pony, sake cup threatening to slip out of the hoof that was halfway raised to his lips. 

His very first thought was that he had somehow, somehow, managed to get so deep into his cups - something he never did, could never afford to do - that he was simply not understanding the blue Unicorn properly, that he was simply so drunk he could literally not comprehend him. When that proved not to be the case as the stallion repeated his message, Ryuichi's second thought was that he was simply so drunk, he had completely and utterly forgotten about this meeting that had been scheduled (and perhaps, such was even a less flattering thought than the first, an egregious lapse of courtly protocol rather than alcoholically-induced selective hearing).

Meeting. Scheduled. During the Sakura Spring Festival?

Despite confirmation that he was still sound of mind and presence, the words continued making little sense to Ryuichi, even as the messenger continued to fidget. But really, could he be blamed? He certainly had no memory of an arranged meeting with a foreign dignitary on this day...and especially not during the Sakura Spring Festival. Said festival was one of the biggest in the nation, an occasion to celebrate new beginnings and give thanks to their great fortune...not a time for business with other nations and capitols. Exactly why he was sharing this casual bottle of sake with Sandā, a private moment for himself before he needed to make an appearance on the streets of Kyoma. On rare occasions, certainly, Ryuichi could remember his mother holed up with foreign visitors during the beginning of the week, inviting them to share in the festivities...but to have one on the very last day?

By this point, the messenger's expression was beginning to edge towards concern, and perhaps it was that shift of expression that managed to snap Ryuichi out of dazed state, and the Ryuma brought down his sake cup onto the short table with a bit more force than strictly necessary.

["Who has arrived for his meeting?"] the Shogun of Neighpon demanded sharply, just to be entirely certain he had heard correctly. He had, apparently, and Ryuichi struggled to keep any more confusion off his face in front of the messenger. A Caribou dignitary and his companion were waiting down in the courtyard below, for a...meeting, that had apparently been arranged for today. Was it his Shogunate? Had his Gaikoku Bugyō gone behind his back to arrange this meeting? And for what conceivable purpose? Had it simply slipped the other pony's mind, neglecting to inform the Shogun?...

Highly improbable.

But despite his confusion, dismissing a foreign dignitary was simply not an option, no matter what circumstances had led to this...miscommunication. To do so would make them appear...incompetent, at the very best. ["Have the ambassador and his guest brought to the Sunset Room,"] Ryuichi instructed of the messenger, already turning back to Sandā even as he spoke, ["and inform them I will be arriving shortly."] The blue Unicorn was still bobbing his head as he backed out of the room, but the Ryuma ignored him as he locked gazes with his Shīrudo, as if she might miraculously provide all the answers to this conundrum.

Actually...

["...I don't suppose you have any idea what this is all about?"] Ryuichi hazarded, the sharp and demanding expression that had been on his face previous melting away into a tight-lipped frown. Being in the dark was not a position any ruler should ever be in, much less the Shogun of Neighpon. He knew, with perfect clarity and understanding, that he himself had neither set up this meeting nor been informed of it...which could imply a number of things, either of the ponies closest around him, or the Caribou from across the sea.

None of which he seriously wished to consider.

Sandā was no less annoyed at this interruption than her friend, though she was having more trouble keeping that contained. Her cup, thankfully empty, was trembling in her hoof as she glared at the messenger. The mare wasn't wearing her armor yet, though it was nearby waiting for her, leaving her scarred body on full display for the nervous messenger. 

She thought she had told the guards they were not to be disturbed, any time alone with Ryu where they could be themselves was something she wanted to cherish. Oh well, she knew who to take her anger out on later then. 

Who would even schedule a meeting between the shogun and some foreign dignitary on the last day of a festival, especially this one? She would have to ask around, she didn't remember ever hearing about this. Should she ask though? She didn't want to seem like she wasn't paying attention to what was going on...

The pegasus continued to silently glare at the unicorn until he slipped out of the room to carry out Ryu's orders and closed the door behind him. By the time her friend had asked his question, the mare had set down her cup to avoid breaking it through squeezing or throwing, and she let out an annoyed sigh. 

"<No idea, Ryu. I know as much about this meeting as you do at this point.>" She responded, rubbing her temples for a few seconds before pouring another cup of sake and downing it. "<Just let me get dressed, then we can go.>"

With that, Sandā stomped over to her armor and put it on, nodding to her shogun as she put the helmet on and took up her spear. She buried her anger with her discipline as they walked towards the meeting room, putting that aside in favor of her duty as the Shïrudo. Whatever this was about, she wasn't about to ruin it or let anything happen to Ryuichi because she was distracted with anger. 

Medo%20Banner_zps8m3djg1l.png

No sooner did her leap of friendship strike her mark with her life-long friend, Medo heard the mare that she had run into from the garden have an outburst of anger. She looked back to the mare as she walked away wondering what exactly her problem was, but honestly wasn't all that concerned. She had already caused quite a scene, and Medo had enough of scenes for one day, both with the inventor pony, and now this Qilin. The only thing that she could figure is that they were both spoiled, and had it easy growing up. That was neither here nor there though. While it was true that she really didn't have anypony to enjoy the festival with, it wasn't to say that she at least didn't want to enjoy it while she was here. After all, being in the capital city in one of the biggest events of the year had to mean something even if it was an accident. And hey! she got to see Hoshi again!! so instantly a plus.

Speaking of Hoshi, Medo smiled as she heard her address her name, seeming to know just by the hug who it was. "Oh Hoshi it's been forever!!" she replied setting her friend down so that she could resume the vital force that is breathing. After all, it wouldn't do her any good to have accidentally killed her best friend due to asphyxiation. When she asked why the festival was drawwing so many eccentrics, she shrugged. "I don't really know," she spoke in her native language. "I was actually on my way home, but the port on Ryushima was damaged in the last earthquake that they had. So my ship got rerouted to here from Equestria. How have things been here for you?" she asked as she heard Liviel ask about how they met. "We met in my home town of Jikan-tekina Teien. She has family that lives there, and I grew up there," she smiled holding her hooves around her friend.

oRYmoX5.png

The gardens were...quaint, to be sure, and the Palace Castle was...nice. Architecture, and all that. There was still no comparison to the Imperial Palace, of course, but still. The cherry blossoms visible in the gardens were in full bloom, the layout of the gardens was very lovely, but overall it...it was...

...Oh hay. 

It was awesome. 

Filled or empty, birds or no birds.

"Well of course you do, I'm sure they don't just let any pony into the Palace Castle," Mei squealed as quietly as she was able to, gripping onto one of Lími's forelegs as they were led through the beautiful gardens, the magnificent cherry blossoms dropping random petals onto the ground and into the water as they passed underneath. "I mean, it's not as if it's forbidden to enter the Castle on principal, but I still can't believe - they don't just let any one in, you know!" the vivid blue Qilin expressed, as if Lími might not have understand the significance the first time she had said it. Of course, that was all thanks to the Caribou in question, wasn't it? Mei couldn't help squeezing her companion's foreleg even tighter, giddy with glee. She imagined this is what it felt like to be married to a pony of high status or influence, one who was invited into all the most exclusive of parties that she was, in turn, invited to attend through their relationship. 

And Lími was an ambassador...he probably traveled to all sorts of countries and got to attend all sorts of meetings and conventions and parties and ancestors knew what else!

Mei's appreciation for the Palace Castle shifted as they were led to a, relatively, small room, one that nonetheless boasted an open balcony with a magnificent view towards the west. There was a low table in the center, with four cushions around it - two to the north, two to the south - and the whole thing rested on a rich floor mat made of bamboo (she supposed). No sign of the chairs or stools Equestrian ponies favored. Elaborately designed screens were placed around the room, a purely aesthetic feature as far as she could tell, along with paper lamps that were currently unlit. All in all, it looked the sort of room that was lavish in design, yet modest in use - perhaps used for more informal settings than the opulent and massive rooms she had no doubt resided somewhere in the grandeur of the Palace Castle.

The messenger that had been leading them bowed low, requesting them a few minutes wait for the Shogun. Mei was quick to bow her head in turn, and was fairly pleased she hadn't yet managed to vibrate out of her skin in excitement as she whirled around towards her companion. "Can you believe the Shogun himself is coming here to greet us?" the vivid blue mare exclaimed - and not for the first time. She was just a humble Qilin from an equally humble rice village..and now look at her! "Ooh, what do I say? What do I do? I don't want to embarrass myself...first impressions mean everything, you know!" 

tsg1Nbq.jpg

Hoshi gulped and looked about nervously. She was somewhat unsure how to react to his approach... should she bow? Curtsy? kneel? Hoofshake? Hoofshake might be the best option. Discord was supposed to be a reformed spirit and seeing as he wasn't ruling equestria since being freed, it was worth a shot. The mare tentatively extended a hoof to the spirit of chaos from a small gap in the grasp of her foalhood friend, "Warui warui, I am.... not familiar with ... it is dracoonekuss customs?"

WIth a great gasp she filled her lung with air. She was in a mood to almost hug the very pony who helped separate her from Medo! Not that she didn't enjoy the hugs, but she liked breathing more. Back in her native tongue she smiled to pony in the black jacket, "Thank you for that, I was already seeing the face of my grandmother." Hoshi carefullly readjusted her hat, just in time for Akairo to mention her familiarity and then pose a question. Honestlly, this golem trainer had no qualms about being recognized but ...

"Hoshi Shirogane, Or 'Nagareboshi' Hoshi as they call me back at the dome." She kept her voice somewhat hushed so as not to gather attention, "Please keep this under you hat ... I came here for the serenity: like our new friend here." She glanced back to Liviel. Being ready to answer the diamond dog's question, Hoshi had hoped to explain but as usual her old friend Medo was quite to seize the opportunity. Once her friend finsihed explaining she gave the green mare a hug that was more gentle, "It really has been a dog's ag--- um... Sorry Liviel. "She laughed bashfully before bowing her hear to the canine, "But it really has been a while, Medo. What have you been up to?"

6SMi1qDG.png

He could appreciate Akairo's eagerness. He never saw that sort of personality as bad, or annoying. It sat well with him when ponies tried. Maybe it was the fondness left over from his days as a gamesmaster. He was a judge and jury long ago for kingdoms who had grown too big for their own saddlebags. It was a conceited pride that served him well. Though he was an all powerful being there were things he simply did not do. Had he been the sort to destroy rather than bedevil, Equestria would have faced a much different for in those years. Where the Crystal Empire suffered bear cataclysmic destruction on an occasion or two with their enemies, Discord had only done to enslave ponies to his mad vision of what a kingdom should be.

Acts of war and harm had never come to fruition. Perhaps that was one of the reasons he was sealed rather than defeated in a more permeant manner. 

He wasn't one for plans, but he could endure to admit that twas not his goal to agitate the festivities beyond what he had. He was out to have fun not ruin anypony's day. His temper had grown thin, given his worries on the mainland. Even a spirit of chaos fretted from time to time. His influence was not meant to be… fallacious. He only wanted to make friends and to see the little inventor grouse so sourly over a toy… it reminded him of the Unicorn he'd come upon in Ponyville not long prior to coming. They were just toys. As fun as they were they did not define a pony nor were they meant to create a dependency. Perhaps that was why he was fond of Ponyville. 

Despite everything they did their best with what they had and creatively solved problems to get what they didn't.

His own gaze had followed escaping two. He was ponderous of their purpose in all this. Meetings and partings were not as inconsequential to Discord as he made it seem. He always did to remember the way another being existed. Especially if it stood out, though he could not figure out if it was Mei or Lími. He lowered himself down so his paw and claw touched to the ground, leaving the mismatched chimera god on all fours. Even standing at a pony's level could be rather intimidating, though it would be his spellwords that were more frightful than his curious form. The spirit turned his head at the turbid noise that rattled from the others. It seemed somepony was a little too eager to greet her companion. 

Vague familiarities, huh? "I knew a pony who looked like a princess once." While the comment seemed rather arbitrary, there were roots to his peculiar nonsense, of which he seemed famed for. 

He was such a strange creatures. All the power in the universe… something had to give as a result. Though one would be surprised to learn he has all his ball bearings in place, they just scattered around in a measured order, allowing him to compensate for the centrifugal force caused by the universe tilting occasionally. The Diamond Dog was miraculously calm, as if a dragon mare didn't just enkindle the air and much of her kimono in the process. He felt his muzzle scrunch as he was properly greeted. The smug noodle of a spirit held out his right paw and gave her hoof a shake. 

"Well that makes two of us. If you ever find any books on the subject, I'd be more than willing to know!" Ah, but there went the mare into Medo's python-like grasp once again!

He looked toward Hoshi and Medo. They were very close it seemed, causing the spirit to feel a trickle of envy: enough to stun his thoughts. He was in the middle of a foreign land with nopony as an anchor. He had grown used to his pony companionship, particularly Fluttershy's and a few exceptions. Here he was a bit of a meerkat amongst prairie dogs. He took a slow inhale as they spoke in their native tongue, those sharp, noodly ears twitching with every word. While they had every right to speak in the comfort of their own home, he couldn't be nosy if he couldn't understand! He felt like a fish in hot oil: crinkly and crispy! Oh, she was changing colors. Oh! She was changing colors! Luckily the others were upon it and the mare was freed from the vice-like grip. Earth Ponies were something not to be taken lightly, but this Unicorn could give a few a run for the hills…

His lips pursed, feeling the spite of having no connection to the native language or upon this foreign soil. He raised his paw, holding a pickle to his muzzle. He watched as he took a bite, causing a snap of crunchy pickle to disturb the peace. "I'm Discord, prince of Chaos. My it's quite lovely meeting you all." He moved to shake paws and hooves, his own paw and talon seeming to multiply as he moved down the line. He seemed so bizarre in his yukata, a pickle balancing on his muzzle.

"A dome, so you're from one of those factions who develop super secret machines to fight a doomed future?" He was referencing strange things again as the chaotic creature was wearing a one-piece white jumpsuit with sleeves going down to his wrists. He leaned uncomfortably close to Akairo so he could loudly whisper. "Never touch the soy greens! I hear they are non consumables!" Sometimes such jokes could be off putting -- had they a level of understanding to begin with!

Putting away his costume into what appeared to be a trunk he would pull from it a gaudy, accordion folded brochure about all to do in Neighpon! The mare had seemed to want to keep her departure from this worker's dome a secret so he would pull open the impossibly large map which seemed to detail the entirety of the land! Fumbling with it a bit, the map only seemed to grow before spilling over the group in a jumble of mess. After a moment everything vanished, the spirit shrugging. 

"So we're all either familiar or friends now." He took a moment to tease Akairo before sliding his claw over her shoulder, leaning. "Peace, serenity… sure let's go see that." Since Liviel seemed the medative sort it would be interesting to see how this place really ticked.

While it was to one extent a confession of social failure to have the group split up so readily, it was probably also a proof that such a group could not have maintained cohesion in the first place.  And that outburst and breakaway seemed to relieve everypony's tension, including Akairo's.  The Kirin was, if not serene, at least less inclined to be contrarian to the spirit of the day.  Which was, frankly, not Discord; and to be fair, she could sense that he knew it.  It sparked sympathy in her, actual personal sympathy rather than seeing him as a means to an end.  Neither of them were really at home here, but he at least had the advantage of being an avowed tourist.

Well, if she could not be a tourist, she could at least be a decent guide.  "Arigato."  She murmured to Liviel, once she was sure the mares they were extricating were breathing okay.  Once all was well, she was free to speak with Hoshi.  "Nagoreboshi... I have seen pictures of your fights, I remember!  Yes... from what I have heard, you prefer dexterity and clever tactics to the brawls of strength and will.  I quite admire that; if our friend here is right and the fighters of the dome are called to prevent a dark future, we shall need such mares as you."  It was perhaps a more serious compliment than she was used to receiving, but Akairo was sincere.  If Revolution was successful, it would be madness to discount demonstrated combat skill such as that, on either side.

Archived