The Solution To Stress (Open to all)

Aisede

Compass smiled at Aloe's responses. She'd suggested she take a look around old Canterlot someday, which she guessed wouldn't be a bad thing, but "I'm just not sure how interesting it would be. It's just old buildings, crumbling streets and unfriendly ponies and Aerion." she chuckled she wasn't very fond of her hometown. It had been a while since she'd been back there, but she didn't have many good memories of Old Canterlot.

She frowned when the unicorn had asked her question. She'd begun to enjoy her relaxing steam, and she wasn't looking forward to the race questions. But, ever the helpful mare, she quickly turned her frown upside down and smiled. It wasn't that she minded answering the questions, she just kind of wanted to talk about other things, at the moment. Regardless, the unicorn had asked her a question, and she intended to answer it. "I don't know if you know anything about the Aerion Conclave, it's not exactly something Aerion share very much. It's special and sacred to us. Essentially, it's a gathering for Aerion who come from all over the world to meet up together. Aerion from all the corners of the globe. Those I met there that had been from the East Umbral Trading Company are actually another subset of Aerion. They generally sport dark colors that blend into the night better. I think it's a...." she struggled for a better term, not wanting to sound like her parents "purer breed? Equestrian Aerion are probably bred in more with ponies. That's my guess, anyway. I might be totally wrong." she said honestly, scratching the back of her head. She wasn't really an expert on all things Aerion, but she always tried to answer questions the best she could. Even when it meant telling ponies she didn't know if she was right.

She smiled and decided to change the subject herself instead of just letting the other keep asking questions like she usually did. "I'm sorry." she thought to her new friend silently "I promise I'll answer all your questions another time." she promised more for her own peace of mind. "So, you must be new to Ponyville." she started, conversationally "I mean at least your shop you mentioned. I haven't re-mapped Ponyville in a week, but I didn't see an apothecary like yours." she suggested, hoping she didn't come off rude in either dodging further race questions or in her assumption.

• Like 1

Switching tracks for the disguised apothecary was about as natural to her as explosions in the lab, and thus, she had no trouble following the alternate line of dialogue, settling down a bit more as she cast her thoughts in her murky, complicated past.

"I'm from a place called Andalusia, mi amiga." She said in a tone that was more... Reminiscent. "It is funny you mention Aerions being from all around the globe, for I am, myself, from overseas. Still, it matters little where a mare of my work shores up. Potioncraft is a trade that benefits all indescrimenately, and so I continue it here. Getting a shop open was a more painful process than I thought it'd be, though." The last part is spoken in a grumble, the sea green mare narrowing her eyes at some distant thing.

Then something the sunny bat said caused her to perk up, a little more energy animating her languid frame as she looked at her more closely. "You mentioned making maps. Are you a cartographer, by chance?"

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe smiled when she heard the Aerion say that Old Canterlot wasn't really anything that was worth looking at. That it was just a lot of run down buildings, crumbling streets, and grumbling ponies. "Perhaps, but I know that there are a lot of ponies that would love a chance to explore those exact places. Not to mention the history that would be in those building would be a nice cultural experience for a good many. It would probably do a lot of them good since so many of them take today's ways for granted. Many ponies don't know how better off we are today because of the sacrifices the ponies before us have made," she said with a smile.

At this point though the took the back burner of the conversation and let the Aerion speak. It had appeared that the unicorn's question did ruffle her a bit, but instead of making a scene she just chose to answer the question. She began speaking of the Conclave and how it wasn't something that they spoke of a lot. Their conclave was sacred to them. It was a gathering of Aerion from all over the world. She said that it was from there that she had spotted the aerion from the East Umbral Trading Company that Rose had spoke about. she said that they held more of the coloration that she was expecting to see on herself and said that they were likely a 'purer breed' of pony than she was. "Well I for one think you're perfect the way you are. It's not what's on the outside that matters anyways. The only thing that matters is how pure a pony's heart is," Aloe said with a smile.

It was then that the topic shifted at CRose's juncture to more about Rose's Apothecary and how it must have been new here as she hadn't mapped it withing the last week. Rose then explained that she was from a place called Andalusia, and that she herself was from overseas. She added that it mattered little where a mare of her work showed up, as potion craft was a trade that benefited all indiscriminately. She could attest to that! Much of potion making and the making of botanical products like they did had a lot in common. When she said getting a shop open was more painful than she thought it would be Aloe spoke up. "Indeed, with the Mayoral Shift happening right now, in combination with competing against Zecora's Remedies I can imagine something like that would be harder than most to establish here," she added. She then heard Rose ask Compass Rose if she made maps. A question that Aloe would also wait for an answer to before she continued.

Compass nodded at Aloe's assertion that there are ponies who would like Old Canterlot "Oh, I don't doubt it. I mean, those that live there choose to because they like living there. I just... don't hold it in the same regard as they do. Honestly, when I finally was able to leave my parents' house, I couldn't get out of Old Canterlot fast enough." she laughed "Of course, I stayed in Canterlot proper, for a while, with my friend before he suggested Ponyville as the best place to make friends with ponies." she smiled.

When Aloe responded to her guess about Aerion colors, she smiled and gave a little laugh "Why thank you, Aloe! I appreciate that. I don't hold as much value on bloodlines as my parents do though. I do like that I have more colorful coat, tho it does make my skin ever so slightly more sun-sensitive than a grey Aerion's would be." 

Compass smiled wide when Rose asked about her cartography. If there was one thing she enjoyed sharing with others, it was her passion in Cartography. "I'm so glad you asked, Rose! As one of the Aerion lucky enough to get the pony ability to get a cutie mark, I have this." she lifted her leathery wing and pointed at her flank. 

Cutie-Mark-65.png

"Cartography is my special talent. I've been using my free time, lately, to do the— admittedly very difficult —task of mapping the Everfree forest! I'd heard nopony goes in there, and I figured then there must not be very good maps of the place." she suddenly wished she'd brought her maps or at least her parchment and quills. "Although, of course, there aren't that many calls for a cartographer, these days. So my shop is more specifically geared to selling and renting adventuring gear. My services are always for hire, tho, should anypony find a need for a guide with near-perfect photographic memory." she tapped her temple "and of course night vision." she laughed

• Like 1

Rose responded to Aloe first, commenting on her mention of Zecora, a vaguely familiar name by then. "Ah, the 'zebra'. Full of wisdom that one is. It does not surprise me in the least that my little shop would have trouble competing with hers, 'though I do manage ~"

Then to the aerion's mention of being more sun sensitive, raising an inquiring brow as she gave her another look over. "Strange, your lighter coloration should make you less succeptible to sunlight's harmful effects." Could there be something more to it? Something about aerions in general that she failed to take into account?

Ah, but then came the part that excited her the most. "I happen to be in need of a cartographer, by chance. If I can, I intend on leading an expedition into the Everfree in search of some particularly rare materials. They will aid me immensely in my research and development efforts, although the acquisition of these materials may turn out to be... Difficult."

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe listened and now as the two spoke. Compass was talking about how there were those who loves in the old parts because they liked the old ways, but she herself was more than happy to leave it with she got a chance. At first she stayed in Canterlot proper but then came into Ponyville after some friends suggested it to her. She also commented on how she appreciated the thoughts that Aloe had on the matters of pure breeds and coat colors. She did and though that hey beautiful coloration did make her a little bit more sensitive to the sun light, but she shrugged that off.

Aloe herself was confused by that. Usual those with lighter coats had less issues with the sun because their light color reflected the rays rather than absorbing them. Something to inquire about later. Or... now rather, as it seemed that Rose spoke exactly what she was thinking. Aloe on the other hoof though, was willing to just listen and wait for a response and then the transition into the topic of map making. It was apparently how Compass got her cutie mark. She also said that while the needs for maps we growing smaller and smaller, she was more than happy to be a guide. "Both of those sound like they would be both fun and dangerous," she commented as Rose spoke up.

She was apparently looking for somepony to help her navigate the Everfree Forest in search of some rare materials, and was looking for somepony that was mapping the forest. How convenient life can be sometimes!! Though Aloe had a comment as well. "If you're looking for rare herbs or ingredients, I know of a mare. It would take a couple weeks for her to get here though. She lives in Long and is from Neighpon... But her talent works a lot like Rarity's but for herbs and plants. If you need an illusive ingredient for a potion or remedy, I'm sure she could find it for you," Aloe smiled as she then addressed shop. "And if course, the fact that you're able to get going at all with Zecora in town is a testament to your skill. I can't wait to try some of your products here," Aloe finished.

Compass nodded when Aloe made the comment about her work being pretentially dangerous. "Yes, in fact, just last week, I tore my wing pretty bad trying to escape a Timberwolf in the Everfree. Thanks to the help of a certain tree-dwelling herbalist, tho, I made it out of there in one piece." 

She made a face. The Everfree had, in fact, proven difficult to safely traverse. And given her companion didn't have wings, she couldn't simply fly over it to get where she wanted to go. "Hm." she thought out loud "My services aren't usually all that expensive, but given where we'd be going, would you be willing to pay a hazard bonus? I usually charge 10-20 bits a day depending how much walking or flying i have to do. I think... half as much more should be okay for hazard." she nodded to herself as if she'd only just decided on this. After thinking for a moment, she added "I have also proven to be very capable at assisting botanists, when you describe what your looking for. Who knows, maybe I've already seen it."

• Like 1

To Aloe "That would be amazing." She pointed to the mare, completely serious. "Link us up sometime. I need contacts, and anypony as talented with botany as Rarity is at fashion is somepony I want by my side."

And now to address her counterpart's concerns. She can't help a snort and a giggle. "Oh, currency is no object to me. I will pay you double that and provide you- and whoever else may accompany us- with potions to enhance vitality. As for what we're looking for... " now, her smile became unbearably mysterious. "I don't know if you'll quite like what I'm about to say. It is rather daring, even with an amazing unicorn on your side." She glanced at Aloe too. "Oh, you wouldn't happen to be interested in a trip through the Everfree, Aloe?"

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe nodded and smiled to Rose as she told her to hook the two of them up. That knowing somepony with that had the talent for herbs like Rarity did with greens would be beneficial. "Alright. I will send word for her then. It might take a bit for her to get leave to come though. Last I heard, she was the lead medical pony for the Empress of long." Aloe replied. "Having a pony like that along woke help with that too. Her healing salves are among the best that I've ever used," she added when Compass said that the last time she was out she tore a wing escaping a timber wolf. 

When Rose said that there was not restriction on bits or the like and would even be willing to pay double Aloe raised an eyebrow. She also said that she could provide vitality potions that would help then along the way. As to what she was looking for, she seemed hesitant to say, but asked if Aloe wanted to go with them. "Oh... Me? I've umm... Never really done much in a way of an adventure before. I don't know what I could contribute... Are you sure I wouldn't just get in the way?" she asked. It wasn't that she didn't want to go... But get experience was in getting ponies to relax. Not navigating... Fighting... Potions... Herb finding... Danger avoiding... If they got trapped they could tell them what was edible or not... But that was was about it.

• Aubergine 1

Compass laughed "I know I talk about the Everfree like it's not a pleasant experience, but I really do pretty okay in there, generally. I'm sure whatever you have to tell me, I can handle just fine." she smiled, eager to hear what she's be looking for. "As for the payment, I would never refuse a gratuity, but you really don't need to feel obligated to pay any more than my fee." she laid her head back to relax in the steam, it really felt nice. The heat was a little more than she would normally like, but it wasn’t harsh like the sun.

Rose's eyes go half-lidded above a humored grin. "In a moment," She turned to Aloe, then. "I'm uncertain how long the trek will be, but if we ever make camp your services would be much appreciated in relieving stress in the party. Having a professional on-board is ideal, and I'm confident the party can keep you well-protected. This may give you a chance to find some rare materials of your own as well ~" This, she sounded genuinely excited about, even if it wouldn't be her who found them.

"As for main objective of this mission... " waaait for it. "I need the blood of one of those land leviathan's that lurk in the deeper part of the woods. I believe you call them hydros?"

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe listened as Rose told hey that she wasn't sure how long they would be gone, but if they needed to make camp, her services would be vital for relieving. She could see that, though she was unsure if she should be leaving the spa for that length of time. She would have to get a couple ponies to help her here first. Then compass spoke up saying that the place really want as bad as she made it out to be and she relaxed a bit. She smiled and then she nodded to the two mares. "Alright, I'll have to make some arrangements to cover the spa while I'm away, but I can give it a shot..." she started before Rose spoke up again.

What she said made her wish that she had waited to reply. It wasn't the fact that she was looking for the blood of another creature. After all, if plants had properties that they could use for beneficial or malicious practices, then different parts of animals did to. She personally didn't use any herself but she imagined that Zecora might have. Since Zecora delt with actual potion making. But... Did she say.... "H... H.... Hydra blood!? That thing can easy a pony whole!!" she said before taking a deep breath herself. She was not prepared for that. "If you're after that... We going to need more than just us... There's no way I could fight that thing... Let alone out run it..." she said with a shudder.

• Hearthoof 1

Compass' heart sank and her eyes opened in a concerned face *blood?* she thought. It took her half a second to realize she wasn't accusing her of anything, but still... "Hm... I'm not sure I like the idea of... killing anything. I don't know what a Hydro is, but...." she frowned. Then Aloe reacted. A hydra. Well, that certainly does clear things up. She's heard the name hydra before. She didn't figure there were any in the Everfree, as she hadn't seen any, but if that's what she was after, she had more reasons to think twice about joining. "Oh. A hydra.... Um.... Well, I suppose you did have reason to think I might not want to join.... I.... I might want to think that one over.... I know I'm a bit reckless, but even I'm not that reckless...." she frowned "I would hate to go back on what I've already said, but.... if I do decide to come with you, I will need to be paid more, afterall.... I will let you know what I decide, but.... for now...." she chuckled to herself as she thought about it "Can we go back to the race questions?" she laughed at the absurdity of it all. This surely wasn't how she expected her day at the spa to go. Not that she minded unexpected. She was a cartographer, afterall. She was really beginning to regard these two as friends. She'd only just met them, but they were so easy to get along with, and... she thought *...probably how relaxing this steam is.* she smiled. She liked making new friends, and Ponyville had been great for that, lately.

• Like 1

Rose bit her lip, but she understood their reactions. "We're not killing anything- just drawing blood. Obviously there'd be more than just the three of us, but... " She should really respect their wishes. "Aloe, what was next in the treatment? I feel we've spent enough time basking in this steam." Come to think of it, she kind of felt like she was cooking. She was sweating profusely, and it didn't matter what you were, that was the point where you were ready to cool off. 

• Like 1

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

The fact that they weren't planning on trying to kill the hydra made Aloe feel a little bit better... actually no... not really... their plan was to go and get blood from it.... that meant they'd have to injure it... that meant they'd tick it off... did she mention that she wasn't sure if she could outrun a hydra? Still... This was definitely something that they were going to need to be better prepared for, and would need more ponies than just them. She already told her that she would go and she didn't want to back out but... hydra's were grounds for exceptions right? She was just about to respond to Compass as she said that she would prefer to go back to the race questions now until the timer went off. "Oh, it's time to move on to the next part of the treatments. If you'll both follow me, I will lead you to the volcanic ash baths..." she started before looking back to Compass. "If you need me to add more water to make it more comfortable for you I can. The Volcanic ash is a bit more abrasive than some of the other treatments we have. It's mean to exfoliate and pull the dead skin off from under a pony's coat, so... just let me know what changes I need to make," she said with a smile to them. One plus, the mud baths wouldn't be as hot as the steam room was.

• Like 1

"I would appreciate a little extra water, thank you." Rose smiled, eager to escape the steam before she became a boiled lobster in there. The idea of a mud bath still struck her as odd, but Aloe was the professional here. 

Rose wondered if she'd really feel any different when she walked away from this place. Sure, the ponies were nice and the treatments... Adequate, but she had yet to see anything extraordinary that easier her nerves for more than a couple minutes. Hopefully this would do it?

Compass had a feeling she might need to lessen the abrasiveness of the next treatment, but she figured she could wait to see what it felt like, first. She smiled "That sounds quite nice. I'll let you know if I need anything." She followed Aloe to the next treatment. 

• Like 1

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe Blossom nodded to the sea green unicorn as she told her that she would like a bit more water added to the mud bath and did as instructed using the stir rod that she had to make sure the mixture stayed a mixture and didn't get clumpy as the water came into the bath. With the consistency that the bath was to begin with, she doubted that it would anyway, but never too careful. Once everything had been properly attuned to the mares, she gestured for them to step into them at their leisure. "Alright, you'll be in these for about twenty minutes before we go over to the mineral baths," she said with a smile.

• Like 1

Twenty minutes? That's quite a bit of time to be sitting in mud, although she supposed that was all part of the equation. Stepping up to the muddy tub, she only gave the viscous surface a cursory look before making the metaphorical leap. To her surprise... it wasn't so bad. She had been expecting something more akin to real mood, but this substance was clearly created to imitate its appearance more than its texture. 

She quickly and seamlessly submerged herself in the tub, snorting a chuckle at the absurdity of it all. Here she was, in a mud bath. The irony. "I would very much like to know the inventor of this 'mud bath'." she got herself comfortable, tossing a look over at her companion. "Compass, how are you liking it?"

Compass had been submerged in mud, before. Although, not voluntarily. She started by tapping the substance with her hoof to feel its temperature, then she shrugged and stepped in, her back hooves first, putting her wings up before submerging them, as well. She kept slowly lowering herself until only her head remained above the surface.

She tried to relax but the stuff was... admittedly more abrasive than she liked. Especially on her wings.

"Well, It's certainly different. Last time I was this covered in mud, it took me a week to get it out of my tail." she laughed "It smells really nice, tho." she turned to aloe "I.... may actually need more water, now that I feel it. It's like my wings are being rubbed against granite." she shifted uncomfortably "No offense."

• Like 1

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~ 

Aloe shook her head to Compass. "No offense taken. I was honestly expecting it when you're skin was already sensitive," she say to her with a smile as she started to dilute the mixture a bit more. As she stirred the water in, she pressure attention to it's consistency checking it with a hoof. Once she got to a point she looked back over to Compass. "Is that better, or do you need more?" she asked looking over to Rose whom seemed to find comfort in the mixture that she had. Once both were comfortable, they could continue their conversations from the steam room.

When Rose asked about who invented the mud bath, Aloe had to shrug a bit. "According to Momma and Papa, the first ponies to try it were my great great great great grandparents. But I'm not entirely sure how accurate that statement is," she said with a smile in response.

• Hearthoof 1

Rose calculated the approximate time that must have passed since its supposed invention, taking into consideration the limited lifespan of a typical equine, five generations would be... 150 years, at least. Not a whole lot of time in her opinion. 

"Interesting... But unlikely." That was all she had to say on that matter. There was little to be gained from this conversation without accurate information. "Compass, you mentioned earlier 'purer breeds'. Are you implying that aerion culture views non-chiropteran equines to be somehow lesser, thus lowering your rank on the societal eschelon?"

Compass shifted herself to allow the new mixture to cover her and smiled at Aloe "That's much better. Thank you." she sighed as she relaxed into the now actually quite soothing sensation. "Very nice, now."

When Rose picked the conversation up, Compass was actually not unhappy to answer the questions. Maybe it was the environment at the spa, maybe it was the mud bath, or maybe it was the ponies she was with, but she felt relaxed around these two and honestly didn't really mind, anymore, answering these questions. It felt more like a friendly conversation, at this point, than the prodding feeling she normally got from such questions.

She frowned "I don't really know how most aerion generally feel, but my parents were.... shall we say.... proud of their aerion heritage. They would never have admitted to the possibility of having pony ancestors. That was just my own theory." she thought for a second before continuing "There's probably other aerion who know these things better than I would. Maybe I'll go to the conclave again, one of these days, and see if I can find somepony who knows a thing or two." she smiled. She hadn't mentioned it, but she'd opted not to go to the conclave the last several times because she just didn't feel as comfortable there as elsewhere. Probably just because of her parents' attitude. Her only interactions, really, had been with her parents' like-minded friends, or had no mention of ponies. For all she knew, there could even be a decent portion of aerion who even preferred being called bat pony. She stifled a laugh at the thought. She'd been trying to be more flexible in that regard, but it was hard to overcome her upbringing.

// edit: @Aisede I prolly shoulda said something about it in my bit here, but I didn't think about it lol. but "chiropteran" is quite the four-dollar-word lol (had to look it up to make sure I guessed its meaning correctly) ;) It is something I've noticed in your rp (be it a you thing or a Rose Compass thing, either way), that you tend to use a bit of that type of obtuse and obfuscatory nomenclature (big obscure words (one of my sister's favorite phrases)). ;) //

• Like 1

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe could only giggle a bit at Rose's response to her. Honestly she didn't or much faith in the word of her parents either, but they was a chance. It wasn't like and if those ponies were still alive today to tell them otherwise. Instead she just listened to the conversation for now as she finished adjusting the consistency for Compass. When she was told that was good she placed a hoof into both tubs to make sure that the temperature was still where it needed to be too keep the solution from becoming what it was named after. 

When she heard compass explain that her parents were probably of their lineage and would probably never had admitted any connection with ponies at all, and have a gentle smile. "That's a good thing though. It's always important to be proud of who you are, because no matter what anypony else believes out expects, at the of the day, you can only be you, and I can only be me, and Rose can only be Rose. No matter what pedestals or lables that others put on us, that's all we can be. Well, other than friends... We can always be friends," Aloe smiled.

• Like 1

Rose stared at Aloe for a long moment after her little speech, her expression blank. It brought up a very particular question for the cloned changeling, one she hadn't bothered thinking about for a lack of being able to produce a positive result. 

She wasn't proud of who 'she' had become in her past life. The original rose was a deranged monster bent on completing an impossible task at the expense of everyone and everything around her. 'You can only be you' also brought up a painful question, that being if she even can be herself, and if she can, who is she? She's Rose Compass... But at the same time, that's not who she is. She's a unique entity, distinct from her source, but she still shared their identity. Perhaps she could take on a new form, rename herself... But what would that accomplish, truly? She can't change what she is, or who she's modelled after. Yet alone the fact that her very psyche is a simulacrum of the pirate lord of Andalusia, meaning she's... No different...

Rose shook her head violently. No, she is different. It's because she's different that she's pursuing her goals without endangering those around her. "I'd like to be friends..." She croaked, head spinning from so many contradictory thoughts.