Odd piece of Trivia

shadwofax

I was reading the credits of an episode (doesn't everypony?) and notices that Tara Strong does NOT do her own singing as Twilight sparkle.

Funny thing, that as I am sure she sung her own role in Little Mermaid 2 as Melody.

Anyone have any opinions on that?

Also why does Tabitha St Germain not sing as Rarity? She is an accomplished VA and I am sure can sing in character.

Hmmmmm,

Shadowfax

Yeah. I've always found the use of the singing voices kind of interesting. There's Twilight, Rarity and then of course there's Andrea Libman who sings for Fluttershy but not Pinkie Pie.

Though I do really love the singing voices they did go with, so I really don't mind too much. ;)

Tabitha St. Germain has sung before, in the Barbie movies, but has said in an interview (if I can find that again I'll link it...) that she finds it difficult to remain in character while singing. While trying to hold a voice that requires a certain amount of pride to be inflated into it at all times, I can see why she'd prefer to have an singing v.a. rather than performing the numbers herself. In regards to Tara Strong though, I'm not sure why she'd opt out. As far as I know she only voices Twilight so I don't think it'd be too big of a deal to sing for the character as well. Tabitha St. Germain at least voices Rarity, Luna/Nightmare Moon, and (this is just an educated guess on a large number of Bronies parts since theres no credited V.A.) Zecora.

In regards to Tara Strong though, I'm not sure why she'd opt out. As far as I know she only voices Twilight so I don't think it'd be too big of a deal to sing for the character as well. Tabitha St. Germain at least voices Rarity, Luna/Nightmare Moon, and (this is just an educated guess on a large number of Bronies parts since theres no credited V.A.) Zecora.

I think that they originally recorded one of the songs (the them or maybe it was Winter Wrap Up) with a different VA. So I guess they just kept her on, since at least one song was already done. I still have the theory Tara Strong may have sung At The Gala... if you listen, her voice seriously sounds different during Winter Wrap Up compared with At The Gala. See: Twilight Sparkle - Winter Wrap Up VS At The Gala

Also, did ya'll know that Cheerilee is a famous Canadian Jazz singer?

Also, did ya'll know that Cheerilee is a famous Canadian Jazz singer?

Whoa, I'd never heard that before. I wonder if that will ever be utilized? I can't currently think of a good excuse for a Cheerilee focused jazz song to ever happen, but that does sound like it would be pretty cool if it somehow did. :)

Whoa, I'd never heard that before. I wonder if that will ever be utilized? I can't currently think of a good excuse for a Cheerilee focused jazz song to ever happen, but that does sound like it would be pretty cool if it somehow did. :)

If you listen in Winter Wrap Up during the part where Fluttershy sings, she's accompanied by another pony, who is never identified. I'm pretty sure that it is Cheerilee singing.

Also:

This seems to be the video that gets circulated around when speaking on Emilie-Claire Barlow's talents. :geek:

Just look for her on YouTube. Lots of vids.

• 4 weeks later...

....As far as I know she only voices Twilight so I don't think it'd be too big of a deal to sing for the character as well.

Perhaps some voices are harder to sing in than other and that's why, I know from taking singing lessions that there can be some limitations but I wonder if the same limits would apply for a professional voice over

To be honest, (and I'm not trying to be a jackass) I don't think she can handle it. I've noticed that Twilight's voice actor just seems to fall flat in some places, like when Derpy tried to assassinate Twilight with the piano and anvil. Her grunts of pain weren't exactly gripping.... While Rarity can definitely perform a believable "I'll never be taken seriously as a fashionista again!" emotional melt-down quite well.

(On an unrelated note.... Fluttershy's VA blew a lot of potential on the "YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE MEEEE!!!" line, trying to go bass instead of opting for a good screech or shriek. Then again, I wouldn't think she could imitate the lead singer of Arch Enemy very well being a pony VA, lol ;p )

• Like 1

Actually, the pony who sings after Fluttershy does, isn't Cheerilee, her voice is higher. This one I think is either supposed to be the Pink-maned Pony or Colgate, but then again could just otherwise be a random pony voice. There's a few of them throughout the song, including when Dinky and her friend go bouncing along.

I did read Pinkie has someone for her "character" voice, and someone else for her "singing" voice... Did not know the same went for Twilight, though...

I did read Pinkie has someone for her "character" voice, and someone else for her "singing" voice... Did not know the same went for Twilight, though...

Rarity also has a different singing VA. The VA is the same for Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, as well as Fluttershy's singing voice. Rainbow Dash and Applejack have the same VA, and their VA is actually in a band called Hey Ocean!.

The VA for Apple Bloom is actually the singing voice for Sweetie Belle. Also, despite Scootaloo's terrible rendition of (We Are The) Cutie Mark Crusaders, (I heard) her VA can actually sing well. Rarity's VA also provides the voice for Luna/Nightmare Moon.

Also, Twilight Sparkle's VA sounds kind of like Timmy Turner from Fairly Oddparents when Twilight yells. Because... same VA.