Last post wins

I agree! Some parts were a bit silly though, like her turning into Superman for a few seconds and flying back to the ship in space haha. Was a pretty good movie though.

So, apparently a co-worker at my current work is putting his 2 weeks in tomorrow. I heard from another co-worker that he's also getting his resume updated (A week ago he mentioned he had looked up the website of the company I'm going to be working at and saw he needed to send in a resume). I think he's trying to follow me to my new job. 

He's one of the reasons I'm leaving my current work.

I shouldn't have said a word to him about where my new job is. I'm literally kinda freaking out about this. 

Lord, help me.

Yeeeeah that sucks. But you dunno what's happening yet, eh? Stay positive.

There are plenty of people I've worked with that I would never want to work with again, but I've also found it's a small world and you'd be surprised how often you'll bump into old friends or coworkers whenever you move on to somewhere new.

Good luck with that.

That's a relief. The CG in Rogue One was unnoticeable but still weird, so having Leia completely CG (like Alita) might make Leia "unnatural".

Got some Portal and Portal 2, Absolver, RWBY Grimm Eclipse, Facerig, Samorost 2 & 3, Gorogoa, and The First tree.

Bought a Gundam on Amazon to practise weathering.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rosewind said:

Yeeeeah that sucks. But you dunno what's happening yet, eh? Stay positive.

There are plenty of people I've worked with that I would never want to work with again, but I've also found it's a small world and you'd be surprised how often you'll bump into old friends or coworkers whenever you move on to somewhere new.

Good luck with that.

Thanks. Should my co-worker actually go through with it, I'm hoping that he puts me down as a referral in his application and the boss will ask me how he is. I wouldn't say harsh things or be rude about it of course but, I would certainly tell him he's not the kind of employee he wants. I think it'd be best for my boss and myself if my co-worker didn't get the job.

I am trying to stay positive. Part of me wants to tell my co-worker that I wouldn't appreciate him following me there. Of course, I can't exactly tell him where and where not to work... He hasn't picked up on my hints (by showing disinterest in the subject) whenever he says something like "I checked out the website of your new work... I saw it said  'Please send in your resume'. Mine isn't up to date hahaha. It doesn't say what kind of job they're hiring for hahahaa"  (Or he has picked up on it and just doesn't care).   Uuuuggghhhhhh it's stressful but, I think I can manage..

I would highly advise against saying "Don't hire this guy" if they ask you. It's incredible how quickly something like that will backfire on you. If this scenario does play out and they approach you, just say you've shared an amicable working relationship at the last job and leave it right there. Your brevity will tell them everything they need to hear without you actually having to say it. There are dozens and dozens of reasons that I think this is the better plan, the best of which is that you're showing your employer your integrity as an individual working there -- not as someone who negatively speaks of old coworkers, even if they deserve it. If your old coworker joins up and he's as bad as you say, he'll sort himself without your help.

When people move jobs, you'd be surprised how a lot of behaviors/negativity can be caused from an old workplace. It's a fresh start, so treat it like one for both of you if this situation comes to pass.

I've been in a similar situation and I can tell ya from experience: leave the negativity at the door and take the professional high road. It's tough, but trust me...it's worth it down the line.

I understand.. Talking negatively about old coworkers (or current ones), even in the slightest way, didn't even cross my mind in this situation. That's bad of me... I make it a point to do that as little as possible, if at all, and I would've probably been doing it in front of the worst person to do it in front of. Even if I am warning my new boss about a potential future problem, it's best I stay professional about it, as you said. I'm sure my new boss will be able to tell what kind of work ethic he has without my input anyway. 

I don't want it to sound as if I hate my coworker, which I don't by any means... I just need a fresh start. I'm feeling a bit better about the whole situation because today at work, the assistant manager asked the coworker in question if he was putting his two weeks in, and he replied with something along the lines of "Oh, nah. I say a lot of things I don't mean". 

That's the mindset I've got to keep up. Fresh start. New year, new job, new beginning. I was hoping to leave my old work experience behind but, honestly, if it follows me, there's not much I can do. Just be professional about it and as you said, treat it like a fresh start for both of us.  

Boy, I'm not catching a lot of the things you're pointing out... It's a good thing you've got some experience with this. Thanks, Rosey. I really do appreciate you 'looking out for me' in this situation. (:

Thanks Rocky! Yeah, I have a lot of experience with this. Too much. It's definitely an art form communicating something directly while still covering your rear. I've left horrible jobs, and when the next job inevitably asked me why I left/how was the last job, I always told them it was a great place to work, and I gained a lot of experience from it. 

I've started keeping notes on stuff I've learned., It totally comes off like it was plucked from a motivational poster, but this is stuff I'd tell past-Rose if I were able to send her a letter:

1. Trust, but verify. Assume the best in people. We live in a culture of mistrust. While some of it is justified, ask yourself how important it is to make a fight over.
2. People won't change for you, especially if they won't change for themselves. Relationships come in an "as-is" state. They can evolve,
grow, and change, tho!
3. People don't care about you. This is actually quite liberating, if you think about it. Don't put too much time and effort worrying if people
like you or something you did. The only person you have to prove anything to is yourself.
4. Allow yourself to make mistakes, especially if you take a hard look at why you keep making them. Keep making the same mistakes
until you learn how to make better choices.
5. Identify if you're unhappy and work to fix it.
6. Don't make excuses. Find a way to make things work, even if it's the harder or longer path.
7. Look several steps ahead in whatever you do. You'll start to see things you can plan to avoid or take advantage of.
8. Do the dirtiest, most undesirable, most unpleasant task first. This will make the other tasks seem not as bad.
9. Invest in the things you use the most. 
10. Don't say anything negative about anyone, especially in online spaces. If you get the urge, look for something positive to say about
them instead. 
11. Stay away from toxic people and situations. Identify toxic people in your life and distance or get rid of them.
12. If you need to vent, be wary of who you are venting to. Just because someone vents to you, does not make them safe to return the
favor.
13. Don't be afraid to say "No." Stand behind it. Also be prepared to accept when people say "No" to you, too.
14. You don't need to "fix" anyone or help them be happy. Only they can do those two things for themselves. 
15. You can get over a death, but you can never get over the loss.
16. Be a survivor, not a victim.
17. Don't expect help. Make sure you have the tools and supplies to be your own help.
18. Accepting the blunt truth can help others see the truth for what it really is, too.
19. Don't let other people guilt you for their mistakes.
20. Treat time as a valuable resource. Give yourself extra time to get to work/appointments. You never know what will crop up.
21. Don't put yourself down when you're learning a new skill. You will suck at it, for a long time. If someone is giving you a hard time, point
out this fact to them.
22. Learn to identify when other people are learning, too.
23. Learn to read a situation. Not everything is always as it seems.
24. Body language will tell you exactly how someone feels. Take a moment to read someone, and approach them with this in mind.
25. Not everything exists in a binary state (good or evil, black or white, gay or straight, up or down). We are raised to believe this, but it
couldn't be further from the truth.

26. The best answer when someone tells you they've lost something is "I'm so sorry." That's it.

• Like 3

That's a lot of good points you've put together. I may have missed if you mentioned it in some way but, another very strong thing is forgiveness. It really goes a long way. It gets through to people in two kinds of situations: People who are apologizing to you, and people who are pissed at you. It goes along with not holding grudges. If someone is irrationally and overly mad at you, and you know there really is absolutely no reason for them to act that was toward you, the best thing you can do is forgive them. On the spot, if you can. They'll notice that their anger is not getting to you and they'll either realize what they're doing and make amends with you, or they'll get even more pissed and stop talking to you all together. The latter, unfortunately, is the more common result, as I have personally witnessed. To the point of them not going into the same supermarket when they see the other person's car outside. If you forgive a coworker and both of you can find common ground, you should never have a reason to talk badly about them. I've talked to people who will go on a rant about someone else for a solid 5 minutes, and then end it with "But I'm not really mad about it" or "It honestly doesn't bother me anymore". If you've truly forgiven someone, there wouldn't have been a reason to rant about them. You'd refer to them as an 'old coworker', not a 'jerk/idiot I used to work with'.

• Like 3

Just to offer respite to anyone not part of the job stuff:

To any of you who've seen Spider-Man: Homecoming(and if you haven't, you'd better)

Spoiler

Was Spider-Man even necessary? Think about it. If Peter Parker were suddenly yanked out and replaced with someone trained with the suit Stark made for him, would they not have been able to do everything Peter did and better? I think the problem stems from Stark giving him the suit in the first place, they had to take it away to show that Peter is a hero even without it, but they gave it right back to him. If Peter himself had made the suit, which might not make sense in canon yet since he's still a kid, would that have fixed the problem?

5 hours ago, PatchworkPsycho said:

Just to offer respite to anyone not part of the job stuff:

To any of you who've seen Spider-Man: Homecoming(and if you haven't, you'd better)

Hide contents

Was Spider-Man even necessary? Think about it. If Peter Parker were suddenly yanked out and replaced with someone trained with the suit Stark made for him, would they not have been able to do everything Peter did and better? I think the problem stems from Stark giving him the suit in the first place, they had to take it away to show that Peter is a hero even without it, but they gave it right back to him. If Peter himself had made the suit, which might not make sense in canon yet since he's still a kid, would that have fixed the problem?

I honestly thought the movie was fantastic. It was funny and the action was there. I prefer this actor as Peter over the others who came before.

The spider bite is what gave Peter his wall-scaling powers, which is obviously why Stark took note of him. I don't believe anyone could climb walls with JUST the suit (then again, his fingers are not actually touching the walls when he climbs because he's wearing gloves... So... I might be throwing out my own point. He can climb walls because of tiny hairs on his fingers... right?)  I suppose with all the technology being thrown around in the Avengers movies, someone could easily duplicate Peters powers and probably be better at using them. 

About the suit itself, I didn't really see too much of a problem with that aspect of the story. I mean, it makes sense to me. The suit helped him out, he feels he need the suit to actually be a hero, Stark takes it away because of his carelessness and immaturity, Peter realizes he doesn't need the suit to be a hero, Peter does heroic stuff, Stark gives the suit back because he's learned his lesson.. It is a little weird at the fact that Peter took all that time to realize that his natural (yet unnatural) powers are all he needs, and that he doesn't need the aid of the suit, and Stark just gives it back to him. I mean, I see why he gave it back but, it's almost like he's saying "You just proved to yourself and me that you don't need this... Ah well, here you go".

I don't know.. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

• Like 1
Spoiler

I have it in a spoiler in case anyone hasn't seen it.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie and Tom Holland was amazing. I just feel like Peter wasn't entirely necessary. I suppose the fact that he could've easily been replaced can be overlooked by how Stark is in general. I mean, give an entire army Iron Man suits, and the Avengers are unnecessary. Does he do that? No, for whatever reasons he has, he doesn't. I suppose he wants the same for Peter in a sense, he could've just sold off the suit designs to the highest bidder after some modifications to make anyone Spider-Man, but since there had to be a movie and Stark is a pretty stupid genius, he doesn't.

Also, I feel like Peter didn't learn much of a lesson. He figured out that he doesn't need the suit to be a hero, but to be fair, he was a hero before Stark contacted him at all. He got the suit taken away from him for doing something Stark thought was stupid. So he does it again and succeeds without the suit, so Stark rewards him. It doesn't feel like a real lesson, all he did was try again.

Sorry, didn't catch the spoiler thing. Fixed.

You do make a good point. If Peter was a hero before, why would Stark want to mess with that? I mean, in the end, Peter turns his offer down and stays in his hometown anyways. 

If you really think about it, though it was a good movie, and though I was thoroughly entertained... It doesn't need to exist.    Nothing really came of it. Stark gave him unnecessary technology and made him learn, basically, that he was fine without the technology. Then he just gave it to him anyway.

You once asked if we were just friends because you happened to be available upstairs. I remember that question caught me off guard. I didn't know how to answer it. I always looked up to you, and your brazen heart-on-your-sleeve policy for literally everything in life. You were real, and for the years we spent together, you taught me how to be real with myself too. It would take longer for me to have my true awakening, but you helped shape me into the person I am today. I am proud of who I am, and more importantly, I am proud of you. I was honored to call you my friend -- not out of convenience, but because you meant something to me. Thank you for all of your lessons and fun times. I remember them all, and carry them deep in my heart.

The last time we saw each other, you came downstairs to get your cat back. I was moving to Chicago to start a new life. I remember we had a brief hug, and you were gone. Just like that. In those last few years, we grew more distant as our lives started following different paths. I knew you were struggling inside, too. I wish I could have thanked you for everything. My deepest regret is we never had a chance to catch up, before you took your own life seven years ago. I hope one day when we see each other again, we can talk about our adventures while I cook for you. We will listen to music while we spend the night watching the owls in the park return to the big oak tree that grew right across from us. I'd tell you that we were friends; not out of fate or convenience, but because we just were. You would tell me you knew all along.

I miss you, my old friend.

• Like 4