Northern Lights [final]

Name: Northern Lights

Sex: Female

Species: Unicorn

Pelt Color: Navy Blue

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Shaggy, unkempt white mane and tail, with a zig-zag stripe the hue of the Aurora

Eye Color: Grey with a slight hint of ice blue

Cutie Mark: Six pointed white snowflake, outlined in pale blue, over an aurora

Physique: Slightly skinny and gangly, with an upturned 'snub' snout that is pretty uncommon on mares.

Origin: Solstice Heights, but she works outside the Everfree Forest now due to her scientific interest in the way "natural" weather, and to a lesser extent, "wild" animals work.

Roleplay Type: Equestria Mane RP

Occupation: Northern Lights is a research pony! She's currently studying meteorology of the natural world, rather than pegasi driven weather.

Motivation: Her cutie mark relates to her natural ability to make the glow of the aurora appear, but also reflects her passion towards watching the sky. Since she was a foal, she's been fascinated with the natural world outside the care of ponies, that of wild animals, self-growing plants and natural weather.

Character Summary:

Northern Lights is, as previously stated, crazy about the way nature works when ponies aren't involved. When she was little and learned how to make the sparkling lights (and snowflakes) that represent her special magic, she always wondered about what made those things happen outside the confines of Equestria.

Her personality, though, could not be any less naturally studious. Much to the annoyance of her more serious younger sister, Northern never had to work hard in school, and tended to be a bit of a class clown. To this day she enjoys making jokes and being playful, even when involved in her work. She's a rough and tumble silly mare, which suits her rambling in the woods just fine.

She comes from a small but close family from the foothills of Solstice Heights, with her parents, Aurora and Polaris, and her younger sister, Southern Lights. Her mom named the girls Borealis and Australis when they were born, but found the foals had trouble with the names and changed them for a more modern language translation after a few years. Northern just goes by the first half of her name at home because of this. Her family all has the same basic skill of creating aurora lights, but her and her sister each have unique aspects to this power, which they discovered together:

When they were both foals, Northern was very adventuresome, and used to take her sister rambling with her. One wintery day, the little blue filly found she could make the snowflakes dance about with her unicorn magic. Eager to stretch and test her powers, she accidentally caused a small blizzard, causing her and her sister to become thoroughly lost. Fortunately, her sister found she could create strong, piercing, and above all, controlled lights, and the pegasi coming to clear away the unusual weather were able to find the two foals before they froze. Since then, she's been curious about wild strong weather and what causes it, though she cautiously uses her own arctic abilities strictly for frost and snowballs and small scale wintery fun now.

She currently has a pet hedgehog called Ipsum (her sister has an albino ferret called Lorum, and they chose the names to match), who follows her nearly everywhere, even on her trips to the dangerous Everfree forest. Ipsum, being a 'wild' hedgehog, made her curious about wild animals as well as wild weather, though he's so tame now it would be hard to believe he was ever from the Everfree forest.

f9qvid.jpg

I really like her story, I dunno if anyone else has anything close and I think its great. The only change I would request is the numbered age. As we are not sure how ponies age, we don't use years for age but instead foal (equivalent of a child), filly/colt (the equivalent of a teen) , and mare/stallion for adults. You can add adjectives to refine that (such as old, young, middle-aged, etc).

Hello! I like the concept of this pony so far, she seems to fit in rather well. I just have a few things you might want to mull over in your noggin. First off since Auroras are rather complicated and very interesting phenomenon, having to due with solar winds and the Earth's magnetosphere, you might want to have the ability to create one as her special talent, rather than an innate ability of her entire family. That way it makes her special and fits her cutie-mark a little better. I would imagine that creating and aurora would be very taxing, especially on a young mare when she discovered her cutie-mark. Next up would be, in fact, the Cutie-mark story! I personally would love to know more about how she discovered her mark! A little more meat on the bones of the story as it were. It would give the character a little more depth. Was it a difficult task for her? Did she learn the spell from a book? Does the aurora change with her mood when she concocts it? Stuff like that! It may seem fluffy and kinda useless but it gives other people more insight into your character. You may know everything about a character that you are making, the challenge is getting other people to understand that character. I know I sometimes suffer from this and tend to negate it by writing more than my fair share about characters that I create. Moving on, I can see how her cutie-mark relates to her love of natural weather, but how does it relate to her study of "wild" animals? Maybe that is a hobby / interest that spawned from her interest in natural weather systems? Since she would have to travel to "Wild" areas on the map to find natural weather, she might have started to notice the natural flora and fauna, thus deciding to study them too? Would she report dangerous weather to the weather control ponies if the system was headed towards an inhabited town, like a storm chaser kind of idea? Just ideas here.

There seems to be an abundance of her personality but not that much of a back story is what I am driving at I guess. Again I like the character and would love to see her further developed! I thought I would give you some points to think about when looking at your character! I hope that I helped a little!

~Sage AkA Freddie Freewings

Im in love with this pony, I love the fact that she's an arctic type pony, i've always been a sucker for any "winter-type" things, its my favorite season! I also think it's kind of cool that despite not being a Pegasus pony, she is interested in meteorology, which is naturally the Pegasus' jobs. You also tend to put her personality into great detail, although as Sage says, there really isn't much in the way of "backstory" if you add some more it will add a great deal of quality to the app :D

Fixed the typing mistake. Have to think about the power, though I'm not sure why certain abilities can't run in families?

There is nothing wrong with certain abilities running within the family, just also want to make her stand out with her ability; something about what she does that makes it uniquely "her". It can be closely related to what the others in her family do, but be different enough that its her own special talent. As in something she adds to the aurora lights that is a little different than the others where ponies can say "that's Northern Lights' special touch". :)