Six word story writing challenge

Merrypaws

I recently learned something interesting:

Ernest Hemingway was once dared to try and tell a complete story in only six words. According to a legend, it was a bar bet. He wrote:

"For sale: baby shoes, never used."

Hemingway is said to have considered it his best work.

So, do any of you ponies think you could write MLP: FiM fanfiction in just six words?

I tried, and this is what came out:

"Twilight," said Spike, "happy Mother's Day."

I think people might be missing the point... or I just don't understand the stories?

I think the point is to make people ask questions about the meaning behind the story, and thus, create their own conclusion. Basically, the reader speculates what the story COULD be.

"For sale: baby shoes, never used."

I kind of get the impression that this would be something like a newspaper advertisement. A fairly new mother has lost her child--and this was her only chance to have a baby. Thus, the baby shoes are unnecessary in her life, since the baby who was to use them is now gone. This can be further expanded upon by different people creating different scenarios for how the baby died, and what situation the mother is in. Is she poor, or perhaps a widow? Did SHE die, leaving behind a grieving husband?

THIS is how I supposed this was supposed to go.

That's what I was aiming for. I wrote mine up as a newspaper headline, reporting on Luna's failed rebellion. In the current history in which we see in MLP, no one even really remembers Luna. She's a myth. The long forgotten sister of the beloved Princess Celestia. But 1000 years ago, even if the ponies didn't play and frolic at night time, im sure they loved and worshipped their Luna. So when Luna was banished and that massive shadow of a unicorn mare appeared on the face of the moon... Equestria mourned for her.

S-so... I.. I see you hated my fanfiction, Tales... t-that's okay... I guess... ;_;

Where's YOURS, huh? HUH HUH?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hemingway has also said that a short story should be like an iceberg: What you see is actually only the very tip, which only hints at all there really is to it.

Here's a few more:

"Aren't you overdoing it?" asked Pinkie.

Celestia smiled. "Never in my lifetime."

"Who knew Apple Jack could curtsey?"

... oh, pony, these things are addictive.

"Am I still Great and Powerful ?"

"Oh please Pinkie, not another party !"

"Yeah, but I really liked Gilda ..."

"How does Cloudsdale make rainbows anyways ?"

This is harder than it looks. It's difficult to do something sufficiently evocative that also summarize a situation in only 6 words. You always risk either throwing out a boring sentence, or do something too cryptic to be understood. And finding something that's not a spoken sentence is even more difficult for me. But, hey, it's fun.

Oh, oh, and I just found the perfect one !

"And that's how Equestria was made ! " :D

hi hi

The way I see it, there's two ways to compose such a short story. There's Hemingway's method: A premise (baby shoes for sale) followed by an unexpected twist (never used). Then there's the headline method: Trying to encapsulate the story in a single line so that the reader can decide whether or not they're interested in learning more.

My last story was sort of an attempt at a fusion between the two, so I can understand why it didn't work out. In case it was too obscure, it was a shortening of the episode Applebuck Season, but could have also been a reference to Fall Weather Friends. The premise is that an apple farmer has lost something, in this case it might be a challenge to buck all the apples herself or it could be losing a race. The unexpected twist is that she won something else instead in the process, something she might not have won otherwise.

How about this one:

"Damsel kidnapped, no help needed."

• 4 weeks later...