Twilight's Cutie Mark, an Occult Reference?

DantonDamnark

I was doing some research a long time ago, looking for symbols for Danton to use as a Cutie Mark. I eventually came across a symbol that reminded me of Twilight's Cutie Mark. Reading more, my way belief was further cemented.

Twilight's Cutie Mark and the Occult Symbol

twilightunicursalpossib.jpg

The symbol supposedly represents Magic.

Furthermore, between the late 1800's and early 1900's, the symbol was expanded on with the addition of "5 rose pedals" in the center representing the "Divine". The fact that Twilight's "Star" is surrounded by 5 other stars (her friends) just makes this seem too similar not to be a reference.

The symbol is known as a Unicursal Hexagram.

While there are similarities, I'm pretty sure the 6-pointed star had been used as a symbol for magic and the unknown long before the occult and all that became really infamous. Symbols like this are incredibly generic and ageless. I doubt the creators had meant to reference something as dimly looked upon as the occult.

I am guessing the symbolism is more towards the fact that she is the 6th element of harmony. You could just as easily assume that the 6-pointed star is the representative of the variety of religious symbolism attached to it was well (i.e. the star of David, and a closer-to-twilight's marks symbol that was frequently used in religious paintings).

Here's her evolution (actual pony drawings are from Faust's deviantart and/or the show)

She started out with a simplified version of this symbol:

180px-TwilightSymbol.jpg

395347.jpg

This is Faust's original fan-art of G1 Twilight, who was definitely the inspiration for Twilight Sparkle based on how Faust viewed her own toy as a child.

This was eventually recycled into her mother:

Twilight1.png

Then a simplified version of this g1 Moondancer's:

180px-Baby_Moondancer_Symbol.jpg

tumblr_lqrydtj0Fz1qdf51c.jpg

Add a little splash of Twilight Twinkle from the g3 line, who Hasbro probably still had to rights to in name and appearance:

0-twilighttwinkle.jpg

And there you have her.

TwilightSparkle.jpg

More of a compromise than something deliberately planned out symbology-wise, I'd say.

• Like 1

Lauren Faust has said that Twilight's cutie mark represents the elements of harmony, the 6 pointed star represents each element and the 5 smaller stars surrounding the center represent loyalty, laughter, honesty, kindness, and generosity.

Yes I know. I just thought that the 5 rose pedals(like the 5 stars) and the Hexagram represented represented Magic(Twilight's Specialty) and the "link" between the 5 pedals.

Besides this was all just speculation on circumstances, I know Lauren Faust would never purposely reference the occult.