Pinch of Salt?

ShadowMage

I was thinking about something the other day.

The recipe that Pinkie uses to make cupcakes calls for a "pinch of salt." How do they even GET a pinch? I know this is just a cartoon, and there's no reality here, but...this genuinely bothers me. If Pinkie was a unicorn, I could see it happening, but she hasn't any ability to collect a small amount of salt in a pinch.

Yes, she should just tap the salt-shaker once and that would suffice. It's the wording that bothers me, not the actual action.

I think that sometimes you just have to take things said in the show with a grain of salt... *bah-dum-pish*

Honestly though, they're earth ponies. Unicorns have magic and pegasus have the sky, but earth ponies have raw determination and strength. At least that's how I view the balance between the different types of ponies.

If Pinkie Pie needs a pinch of salt, by golly she's going to get a pinch of salt. Even if she has to empty the salt shaker on the counter and use her hooves and carefully press them together to carefully "pinch" a bit of salt.

Pinkie sticking to the ceiling doesn't bother me - that's just cartoon stuff - but the way she handles baking trays does. She even wears oven mitts, implying that yes, she's picking up hot baking trays with her... hooves?

I think we have to assume that ponies have a slightly easier time of handling things with their hooves than you'd expect by looking at them. They can't do fine manipulation like writing (they needs to use their mouths to handle pencils), but they're able to use certain tools without too much trouble. I'm still not sure how Fluttershy manages to sew, though.

There is was this one(bad) fanfic i read that says that every pony has a telekinetic force on their hooves. Makes sense if you think about it.

That's the only way I can think of it without my brain breaking.

But then, I sing to myself, "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, And other science facts, Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax." :P

I've always kind of thought that, unless you are a unicorn gifted with telekinesis, you haven't any ability to manipulate objects in an exact manner. Many the entirety of the pony language is comprised of crude hieroglyphics from drawing by mouth?

That's the only way I can think of it without my brain breaking.

But then, I sing to myself, "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, And other science facts, Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax." :P

For Mystery Science Theater 3000 :).