writing an essay on bronies--need help

featherquill

The topic of the essay is to focus on a particular social group and the language used among the group. I've picked bronies because we do have our own language--'somepony' instead of 'somebody', 'hooves' instead of 'hands', etc.

I need quotes from members of this community for the essay, so I have some questions for you all.

1. Do you ever speak in this 'brony language' outside of the MLP fandom? Is this in other online communities or offline?

2. Does the way we speak to each other in the fandom have different grammatical rules than standard American English? (I use SAE because as far as I know the majority of bronies are American, feel free to talk about your own native language if I'm wrong)

3. Has using the 'brony language' affected the way you think? If you say somepony instead of somebody, are you reminding yourself to love and tolerate?

4. Have you used the Ponify app? How has that affected the way you interact with others online?

ah, somebody else doing an assignment on ponies. I'll help because I really don't want to work on my pony project right now XD I'll try to make my answers as quotable as possible

1. Do you ever speak in this 'brony language' outside of the MLP fandom? Is this in other online communities or offline?

I use more brony language outside of the fandom than I do in. I talk using nopony and everypony when I'm with people I don't know to find out if any of them are bronies.

2. Does the way we speak to each other in the fandom have different grammatical rules than standard American English? (I use SAE because as far as I know the majority of bronies are American, feel free to talk about your own native language if I'm wrong)

nope, everything is the same. the only difference is that some words are replaced with others (everybody=everypony, nobody=nopony, etc.)

3. Has using the 'brony language' affected the way you think? If you say somepony instead of somebody, are you reminding yourself to love and tolerate?

sometimes I catch myself thinking in brony words instead of regular words, but other than that, no.

4. Have you used the Ponify app? How has that affected the way you interact with others online?

I have not used the ponify app.

Love how you talk about us as if we are just plain wierd. And to answer those questions...

1. Rarely. When I use Brony language outside of the community, it's usually by mistake. Even in the community, I'll rarely use it.... Unless you count "Eeyup." I use that ALL THE TIME.

2. lolno. Everybody/everypony knows we don't have new grammatical rules!

3. No. I mean, sometimes I'll think in Brony Slang... ... but Brony words don't have any special meaning to me. A word is a word is a word is a word!

4. Nnnope. It's not on Internet Explorer, and it would probably mess up in humorous/just plain pathetic ways. And it would ruin quotes that would be great for essays and school assignments.

1: I use brony phrases on forums and stuff that have bronies on them but aren't strictly about MLP. Not really in real life though.

2: grammar seems to be the same.

3: in addition to pony fics, I sometimes write other stuff. Since becoming a brony, I do find myself often accidentally typing out somepony/everypony/nopony instead of equivalent non-brony words. Most of the time time I'm able to catch it, but it's become something I really have to think about and look out for.

4: Haven't used it yet. I kind of want to though.

So is this an actual essay for school? :) If so, that's kinda neat.

And here are my answers:

1. I do not. But I do speak very little Spanish...

2. If people did, I am unaware of such things.

3. I don't speak the "Brony" language, I just watch the show and continue to speak as I always have, so it has no affect one way or the other. :)

4. What is the Ponify app? :) Most I ever did was use some art I did as a background on my computer. :D

So is this an actual essay for school? :) If so, that's kinda neat

Yeah, it's for a linguistic anthropology class. It's an absolutely terrible class, I thought adding ponies would make it a little more interesting.

and Ponify is an app for some web browsers (I can't remember what besides Firefox) that changes text on websites to 'ponified' words. You can install it here: http://pterocorn.blogspot.com/2011/10/ponify.html

1. I sometimes use them, but not in anything that I have to turn it and stuff.

2. I don't think so...

3. Maybe. Whenever I'm online, all the ponification words and vernaculars just come naturally. I don't even have to think about them.

4. No, but I would. My parents are trying to learn English and that would confuse them so much. lol

Yes. Online & Offline.

Uhrm..No, I guess.. :I

No.

Yes, yes I have. Well, I made some mistakes with it, but it doesn't affect anotherpony's computer for words.

• 4 weeks later...