Does Episode 6 Change Canterlot's Storyline?

Loopy Legend

Warning contains a spoiler from latest episode.

Here is something I noticed during the season 2 episode 6, the Cutie Mark Crusaders went bowling. Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a bowling ally use power, as in eletricty.

And does this not go against what we have setup as rules for technology here??

Not really. Most, if not all, of it is mechanical. You could operate it with horse power.

hi hi

Twilight Sparkle has a science laboratory in her basement. I think there's a little bit of blurring the lines between magic and science going on in the setting, but they have enough of an understanding of electricity to construct magical lightning rods and coax it out of clouds with pegasus magic. The thing is, they don't really need technology most of the time so I figure that even though they could use it in some cases, its usually more trouble than its worth.

• Like 3

hi hi

Twilight Sparkle has a science laboratory in her basement. I think there's a little bit of blurring the lines between magic and science going on in the setting, but they have enough of an understanding of electricity to construct magical lightning rods and coax it out of clouds with pegasus magic. The thing is, they don't really need technology most of the time so I figure that even though they could use it in some cases, its usually more trouble than its worth.

Keep in mind that a lot of the stuff in the show is played for gags. Twilight's computer was more of a trope played for laughs than an actual attempt to establish a technology level for the show. So while a bowling alley can run mechanically, I get the feeling that its inclusion was more to be a funny than anything else.

• Like 1

hi hi

This is very much the working design for the RP- I get the strong feeling that Faust's world is very similar in 'up-to-date' as ours (we see bits and pieces of it around the show), but it is very obviously *not* the same- there is an emphasis on a blurring between technology and magic, the setting is primarily simpler than our world in most ways- ponies do things by hoof when possible, but obviously things like science, contraptions, electricity and bowling alleys do exist. Take a look at manehatten for example- a few of the 'attractions' Applejack sees in the short 5 seconds would be entirely impossible without massive construction equipment and electricity and all sorts of other 'technologies'; but rather than those elements being the norm, the show makes them the exception, and I believe largely accounts on their possibility by use of magic. Why build a crane when you can have four unicorns lift what you need to? Why build an automobile when you can just pull the cart? That seems to be an underlying theme to me, that where things CAN be done simpler, they are. I feel this allows for more clever jokes and ideas in both the show, and the RP.

Of course, i think most anything can be allowed in the Mane RP if its well thought out. Perhaps a movie theatre in Manehatten (but not ponyville). Get creative, how can you make the process practical in a world inhabited by ponies and magic?

Bottom line is- most anything in Equestria is possible because of magic. Because of magic, technology exists in large gaps- its not industrialized, its never 'common', and should be treated as such- the technology level in equestria will never match our concept of technology, because their system is dual-based on magic. Technology works differently in equestria, and its not nearly as much a vital part of pony society- but it is there. My policy is generally to take a look at how technology is being presented, its intention, and how well it fits with the mood of the show. If I could see it in the show, and it works with the RP, then its probably a go.

I thought it was already established that Equestria had at the very least SOME rudimentary electricity due to the use of kitchen appliances and electric light (you can hear a light switch 'sound effect' often in the cartoon when lights are 'turned on' at night). Why would Mr Breezy sell electric fans IF electricity didn't exist to operate them? How could the stagelights we saw in several episodes operate without electrical energy?

Yes, there seems to be a very, very BLURRY line between modern and 'turn of the 20th century' technology in the world of Equestria.