On Organizations

lordbrony

I’ve been noticing quite a number of ponies have been running into trouble with their RPs because of their OC character belongs to a organization and to get said organization approved for lore takes a lot of red tape.

Let’s say for the sake of argument, I have an app for an OC character called Big Top, his occupation is that of a circus owner. From here 2 things can happen:

I write the lore for his circus. After a week or so of squeezing the creative juices for an initial draft and a month of debate and haggling over the minor details with and within the admin team; the Equestrian version of the Cirque du Soleil is formally introduced to Canterlot.com with open recruitment for anyone who wants to be part of the circus (similar to the Wonderbolts and Shadowbolts)

OR

I scale down his operations so he’s more of a traveling sideshow operator with about 5 acts that are all pretty much offscreen or NPC characters, and hopefully he can pass application assessment more easily.

The point is I’m proposing a truce, the RPers can have their OC character belong to some organization that, while is not what they initially envisioned, still fits their character and the mods don’t have to be stuck between shooting down another’s ideas or the work of effecting QC on the lore so it fits into board canon.

I think it's an excellent idea! To go along with this though, when choosing the second option, you can always propose the first as well. That way, the character gets through and you can start using them in RP. Then, if the organization gets approved, you can update the character! With so many ponies proposing new things, it's kind of difficult to read through all of them and try to figure out if they can or can't work, and, if they can, how it can be merged in the current Roleplaying world..

Think of it not as something you can see in a Roleplaying world, but something you can see being in an episode. We try to keep close to canon, and while we do have several things that can be considered 'board canon', when it comes to things like technology and major organizations and groups, we try to look at what the show has presented to us. Sure, there are Pegasus guards, but that doesn't mean there are tanks and guns. Yes, we saw Catapults in Luna Eclipsed, but that doesn't mean they were used for war way back in the day.

Basically, use the show as your guide, and you should be okay. And, as mentioned above, have a compromise or back-up plan.

I think there is a difference between an implied Equestria-Wide organization like LordBrony had suggested with CESAR and a business or mere club. After all, we can't have 15 different rogue organizations that have overlapping duties to the REA running around, nor would it be a good idea for several different people to come up with their own independent concepts of how, say, an Equestian Pro Sports league is run without some kind of general consensus. I haven't seen anyone suggesting that people post their businesses in Lore except for the sake of giving a description to help the RP in that area.

For example, one of my characters owns the boardwalk in Hoofington, which is at least as large as a travelling circus with the potential to employ many ponies,and house quite a few businesses. It will be in the Hoofington lore as a point of reference for RP. But ultimately, this is Saffron's business. As long as it fits the confines of board canon, people can suggest things, but not a single person has implied that I have to make those changes, nor has anyone implied that this lore pertaining strictly to my business has to be approved by anyone, as long as it meets the regular board guidelines for technology and reasonableness.

I highly doubt if someone wanted their pony to be a small, local fraternal organization, or sewing circle, or amateur wonderbolts wanna be team that there would be a whole lot of resistance as long as it was reasonable and not too far-reaching.

But for those of us looking to help the lore out a bit, and contribute to the Canterlot RP and that of other Rpers around the board. An official organization needs to be approved, don't get me wrong I'm all for loads of fun, but without some rules into what is and isn't ok in the storyline, things could get a little out of hand. I recon the current setup does works, for small things like your own bakery or lets say you own a chain of fruit and veg stores, that a simple description of it in your character profile works well.

But for anything more then that, like the big adventure organization I'm planning on making. Approvel into the Canterlot.com lore is a must.

I could make 1 suggestion that might help but, why not dedicate some staff to this area, so some might do characters while others take care of lore, this way staff members here will not get bogged down in trying to handle to much at once.

But for those of us looking to help the lore out a bit, and contribute to the Canterlot RP and that of other Rpers around the board. An official organization needs to be approved, don't get me wrong I'm all for loads of fun, but without some rules into what is and isn't ok in the storyline, things could get a little out of hand. I recon the current setup does works, for small things like your own bakery or lets say you own a chain of fruit and veg stores, that a simple description of it in your character profile works well.

But for anything more then that, like the big adventure organization I'm planning on making. Approvel into the Canterlot.com lore is a must.

I could make 1 suggestion that might help but, why not dedicate some staff to this area, so some might do characters while others take care of lore, this way staff members here will not get bogged down in trying to handle to much at once.

I was thinking that for yours instead of a Venture League it could be a Venture Guild, so it'll be more of a loose club than an actual mecernary organization

kinda like those Jungle/Africa based adventure stories where if you needed a guide/pilot you would have to go to this bar/tavern coz thats where those people hung out