Ponyville Minecraft server

Starburst

It'd be used for nothing else. I have considered a complete delete of my hard drive on it (I never use it) and just using a linux install.

Again, it's not the PC - I've heard of running servers on high-end netbooks (due to battery backup) but your bandwidth (internet connection speed - check speedtest.net or for a lighter site, speakeasy) if you dont have a high upstream "upload" speed, you wont be able to maintain many players without lag --- and most ISPs don't give you fast upstream speeds specifically to prevent their users running servers of any type)you could have a Core i7 with 16gb of RAM (or in my case AMD Athelon Black quad-core x64) and with a low upload speed you wont be able to maintain players' connections.

But my computer really really really really really really dislikes mods.

There are a few clients that have fly pre-installed, though they usually include other... features... so you might or might not want to use them... (it's sometimes tempting to misuse these other features...)

Again, it's not the PC - I've heard of running servers on high-end netbooks (due to battery backup) but your bandwidth (internet connection speed - check speedtest.net or for a lighter site, speakeasy) if you dont have a high upstream "upload" speed, you wont be able to maintain many players without lag --- and most ISPs don't give you fast upstream speeds specifically to prevent their users running servers of any type)you could have a Core i7 with 16gb of RAM (or in my case AMD Athelon Black quad-core x64) and with a low upload speed you wont be able to maintain players' connections.

Mkay. I have a pretty decent connection, myself. So it *should* work. :u

Well, I'm running a server regardless. I figure, if it costs less for less slots, the offer is there if we run low on funds

you do have a dynamic DNS set up, right? otherwise every time your modem gets a new IP, the server IP will change (usually ever 12-24 hours)

...it's not built in, you have to download and install it, just google "Dynamic DNS" there are a lot of free ones available, or more feature-rich pay ones if you prefer customization.

There are a few clients that have fly pre-installed, though they usually include other... features... so you might or might not want to use them... (it's sometimes tempting to misuse these other features...)

As of 1.3, this is apparently going to include the official client itself. I'm sure there'll be some server option for enabling or disabling individual cheats.

Also, currency/trading system with NPCs! Though they don't sell any ores or ingots. Boo.

Just randomly I came back and took a look around... after getting kicked by the server a few times I figured out some serviceable tricks in Lou of flying, but really it's so hard to get around the server without it (since the server was built with flying turned on --- especially in the case of my own structures that usually lacked and sort of stairs...>.<) that really... it's just too frustrating...

Still, lots of awesome work, I'm always impressed when I come back to visit, keep it up!

I have a zombie killin' machine, and I know somone had a skelly killin' machine... but your not allowed sheep killin' machines... *mutters something vaguely incoherent*

I just found one near the surface and cannibalized the dungeon :D

AFAIK, there are no restrictions on mob grinders yet, but if they slow down the server there probably will be (i.e. make sure they're far away from populated chunks)

And you're not allowed to blow up said killing machine with your friend in it. :u

You were fairly warned! and I had to get off the server and Noir was on my case to get rid of it... (even though other server staff and players were amused by it, at least at how it worked, it's actual mechanism really amused Doc I think lol)

....and I might be building that machine elsewhere... there's a... chance... *liarjack face*

Well you place a sheep of the proper color into the device, press the button and through the magic of redstone and pistons, out pops Wool, then you reset the device and repeat.

So like a trash compactor, then.

As for my grinder, I've got the whole server load thing in mind and actually have plans to make it so that it has to be *turned on* to spawn mobs. Probably hook it up to a pressure plate so it only works if a player is standing at the spot where the items get dumped.