Madame deLucky (FINAL)

Dunes

Roleplay Type: Mane

Name: Goes by 'Madame deLucky', but her real name is 'Chouette GoLucky'

Sex: Female

Species: Earth pony

Eye Color: Green

Coat Color: White

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Long, wavy, and blonde. She often teases it with a comb to give herself a more eccentric, unkempt look, and wears a tattered bandanna.

Physique: Tall, bony, waifish.

Cutie Mark: A crystal ball

Origin/Residence: Solstice Heights, but wanders looking for new suckers.

Motivation: To part gullible ponies with their money. The "stupidity tax", she calls it. And somewhere, deep within her cynical and bitter exterior, is a little bit of hope that she might one day have a genuine vision. She dismisses it with the same disdain she has for everyone who buys into her trade, though.

Dislikes: Also workin' on it. Also also, suckers.

Character Summary:

Madame, née Chouette, really did want to believe in soothsaying. Speaking with spirits of the long gone, seeing the future, being able to tell intimate secrets of a pony's life by staring into a crystal ball -- they were all things she dreamed of doing as a little filly. It was all so enchanting and alluringly mystical, she couldn't help but be fascinated.

So, when she, her brother Clover, and their father wandered Equestria on "business" (her father's term for bilking bits out of unsuspecting ponies), she found herself less interested in crooked card games and much more intrigued by the mysterious fortune tellers and oracles who set up shop in the same shady parts of town. The bits she stole from ponies as they played cards almost always went to have her hoof read or her fortune told. She became a decent enough thief, if only because that was how she earned the mystical readings she so looked forward to.

Unfortunately, she was also a very, very smart pony.

Frauds! Frauds and shams, the lot of them! And oh, the unicorns were the worst. A disproportionate number of them were unicorns, of course. They thought that by virtue of a dramatic performance, complete with hoof-waving and making mystical "woo woo" noises, she wouldn't notice their horns glowing as things mysteriously rattled around the room during a seance. Some of them wore hats and knew how to cover up the magic noises. They were cleverer than most.

It began as a mission to find a genuine fortune teller; someone who really did have The Gift. But the harder she looked, the more she came to realize it was all trickery. It was a fine balance of performance, atmosphere, attitude, and just enough of telling the client what they wanted to hear. That last part, at least, did require some cleverness. You had to learn to read a pony -- if not in a mystical way, then in a down-to-earth, body language kind of way. And the kinds of ponies who sought fortune tellers all had one of three traits in common: gullibility, curiosity, or sheer desperation.

There was money in all of those.

Bitter that her fillyhood dream turned out to be nothing but hokum, and being as money-loving as most of the GoLucky family, Chouette made a decision. She would take up the spooky cape of the trade, and become a fortune teller herself. If she couldn't really, truly live her dream, then by Celestia she was at least going to make some money off of her wasted effort.

After swiping a bandanna and cloak (she certainly wasn't going to pay any more money on anything related to soothsaying), she donned her new outfit and looked at herself in the mirror. "I am... Madame deLucky," she said. It was then that a crystal ball appeared on her flank.

She wasn't as excited about that as she thought she would have been.

She spent a little time practicing on ponies before they'd go try their luck at a game of cards, prophesying great fortune to come their way. It was a boost of confidence that usually played in her father's favor. But before long, she was a grown mare, and struck out on her own, leaving her younger brother behind.

Madame has been wandering Equestria for years now, cart in tow. She's accompanied by her "familiars", as she calls them; though she in truth thinks of them as accomplices and friends. A bat, named Fang (who's actually a fruit bat), and a black cat, named Hecate (a former stray kitten, whom Madame calls "Kate" and is a sweet little cat when she's not performing). They often serve as her special effects crew for particularly powerful (and expensive) performances. She has a love-hate relationship with her profession, but she's very good at it nonetheless.

When performing, she is dark, mysterious, and nothing is more interesting to her than her clients' lives. When she's not performing, she's grumpy, bitter, sarcastic, not the most pleasant to be around, and really doesn't give a toss about anyone she perceives as stupid (read: nearly everyone). She's not exactly unkind or cruel; she just has little patience for frivolous things like joy or dreams.

The sole chink in her armor is her brother. She's befuddled by his relentless optimism in the face of how awful the world obviously is, including but not limited to her brother's failing eyesight, and thinks farming is disgusting work, but she does love him. She still ribs him and is a sarcastic pain in the flank, but she tries to look out for him where she can, and woe be to the pony who hurts her brother.

-----

No pictures yet, BUT, I think I have this done to my satisfaction otherwise. Marking this as final!

I say the Grumpy weirdo aunt works perfectly! I love this app and i see her with a long blonde mane with a bandana over her head that's sparkly and glittery like how some fortune tellers wear it, maybe with a white coat? Or If you want to add a little connection otherwise I could easily see her being Clovers Sister =w=

• 2 weeks later...