Possible future episode/character spoilers

What's the big deal about a possible third alicorn?

Doesn't it stand to reason that there COULD be a race of alicorns of the royal line?

I'm not worried, besides folks, keep in mind one minor detail...

It's only a cartoon!

:D:D:D

hi hi

Well, I wasn't going to say anything about it specifically, but since you asked Mojo, I'll tell you. It probably has a little something to do with racism. A touchy subject to be sure, but the notion that there is one kind of pony that is inherently superior to all others is something that can make people a bit uncomfortable. Even if its just a cartoon.

I don't suspect they will fall into that trapping, but I admit that I am curious to see how they will avoid it.

What's the big deal about a possible third alicorn?

Doesn't it stand to reason that there COULD be a race of alicorns of the royal line?

I'm not worried, besides folks, keep in mind one minor detail...

It's only a cartoon!

:D:D:D

We know, its just a worry because here comes all the Mary Sue RPers.. :lol:

• Like 2

hi hi

Well, I wasn't going to say anything about it specifically, but since you asked Mojo, I'll tell you. It probably has a little something to do with racism. A touchy subject to be sure, but the notion that there is one kind of pony that is inherently superior to all others is something that can make people a bit uncomfortable. Even if its just a cartoon.

I don't suspect they will fall into that trapping, but I admit that I am curious to see how they will avoid it.

Racism? Really?

After "Hearth's Warming Eve," it's plain to see that none of the three types of ponies (Earth, Pegasus, Unicorn) could govern the entire realm of Equestria effectively. Why not a neutral 'bystander' group like the alicorns to serve as royalty for the three groups as well as serve as a unifying force?

That's not racism, that's being practical. For example, do you think the Pegasi and Unicorns would accept an Earth pony ruler like Chancellor Puddinghead? Or would the Earth and Unicorn ponies would accept a military Pegasus leader like Commander Hurricane? And c'mon, do you truly believe that the unicorn Princess Platinum would be well received by the Earth and Pegasus ponies?

Why not have the alicorns in charge? From the KNOWN canon history of Equestria, they've kept the peace and ruled very wisely and fairly for at least a thousand years (other than the Nightmare Moon and Discord situations).

hi hi

Its not about who's ruling who or who's capable of ruling who, its about them being inherently better through birthright alone. Having the powers of all three races at once and all that. Subtle, perhaps, but its not a theme that I would appreciate very much. Not saying I would suddenly hate the show if they decided to implement a master race, but I would be disappointed. I always liked how the different pony types were portrayed as equals.

The show has never referred to Celestia and Luna as "alicorns," but even in spite of my dislike for the word, I don't know if we've seen any indication that they're part of a separate race. They have always been called princesses however, and it is entirely possible that their status and abilities were gifted upon them as a consequence of their position rather vise versa.

(If I had to choose an origin story, I'd go with something like the Sword in the Stone or maybe a Diamond in the Rough theme, only ponified.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hrm... what if alicorns weren't born, but rather made?

Like, a pony is born as a regular Earth/Pegasus/Unicorn, and at some point, *something* happens that upgrades them to all-powerful, immortal alicorns, thus giving them the right to rule?

Very unlikely, of course, but I just thought of it and thought it would be a cool idea. If this was the case, it would make a really interesting flashback fanfic to see Celestia and Luna as regular fillies.

It would also explain why there are so few of them (this upgrade would obviously be a rare occurrence) and no males.

This new Cadence pony could be a new alicorn, or one from the past that isn't around any more for whatever reason.

The only races in My Little Pony are Earth Pony' date=' Pegasus and Unicorn, and they are all treated equally, ruled by a leader who embodies the traits of all three This leader is white only to signify day, and she co-rules with her sister, who is purple to signify night.[/quote']

Thought I'd drop this quote here, just for a little insight from the Grand Creator herself regarding this discussion.

I'd personally love to see more alicorn love and back story, and I think we may soon enough get it!

ah, the pink alicorn is who Hasbro has been branding as Celestia in their toys...

tumblr_ll9q0vHQi11qewgl0.jpg

It all makes sense!

But seriously. wtf?

The random alicorn could try to perform a coup? That would be funny...

I dunno, it just seems silly. Two seems balanced ('tia and Luna), three just seems weird. If there are other alicorns, why haven't we seen any previously?