copyright

maxishy

i meant that i pick images from the web like a fluttershy and angel and make my own background behind it so fluttershy and angel are drawn by somepony else and the rest of the design is mine can i upload it here with a note that flutershy and the angel drawning arent mine but he rest of the design is hopefully that explains it ^^

i meant that i pick images from the web like a fluttershy and angel and make my own background behind it so fluttershy and angel are drawn by somepony else and the rest of the design is mine can i upload it here with a note that flutershy and the angel drawning arent mine but he rest of the design is hopefully that explains it ^^

If it's something that someone else has drawn, no, you cannot upload it to the Gallery. You can show it off, but probably not in the Art Discussion since it's not mostly original. If it's something you've edited from the show, you can show those off in the Art Discussion. But when you take something that another artist has done and make your own edits to it... that's like copyright infringement. If you want to use it for your own computer, I can't stop you, but you shouldn't pass it around to other people if you don't have permission from the original artist to edit their work. If it's a piece you commissioned, I don't see a problem with you editing it since you paid for it. If it belongs to someone else, you need their permission to use and post something containing their artwork.

I'm a little late but just wanted to point something out...

Now I dont know Canterlot's stance on the matter, but legally, an artist *can* offer their work up for free and you can alter it in whatever way you so desire. It depends on how the artist sets up their rights and some just dont care (I've got a few bookmarked that made some nice prop vectors and say that anyone can use their work for anything)

As I said, that's the LEGAL stance, canterlot may have a "only 100% original art" stance as site policy.

It really just depends. I mean, if the artist says you can use it for whatever, then you technically have their permission. Starburst, a user here on Canterlot, took a sketch BrianBlackberry did (with permission) and colored it, then posted it in the Gallery and linked to the original. Starburst did at least half the work themselves, they didn't copy and paste two images together and call it their own. If you're ever not sure, just send it to a staff member to look over before you put it up in the Gallery. :)