Carolling with Class! [Open! Be nice!]

Halide

It was cold out - enough that warm clothing was a splendid idea. As was staying indoors, having fires, and generally doing things one might employ to keep oneself warm and snug. Winter, as it turned out this year, was cold. It was simply the nature of the season, but the snow and the short days brough an undeniable lack of warmth to Canterlot. Perhaps it was out of spite that everypony tried to warm their hearts in the cold season. Perhaps it truly was to ward off the Windigoes with the heat of friendship. Or maybe, just maybe, it was simply a good idea to be generous with one's kindness when the weather was being most unforgiving.

And thus, both out of a feeling of festivity, and as an attempt to raise money for charity, Fancypants was going to go carolling, to bring cheer and good spirits to those around Canterlot, and to bring generosity and kindness to those who needed it most. A red collection bucket would do the deed of collecting what wayward bits others were willing to part with, a hefty satchel of his own funds kept in his coat (truly, it wouldn't do to go aboutcollecting for charity without a sum of his own to give), and the VIP-apparent of Canterlot's upper class was well on his way, dressed in a warm velvet hat, a thick black wool coat, a simple red scarf, a saddlebag full of songbooks (and candy-canes for the little ones) and a set of jingling bells on his lapels.

"Come on, everypony! It won't do to celebrate Solstice without a bit of good cheer! Here, what say we get started with an old favourite. Piano, please! Page seven, everypony."

The solstice was, after all, fast approaching. The lessons of harmony were important, indeed, and what better way to remind everypony of such than to get some songs ringing through the streets! Unicorns, Pegasi, and Earth-ponies alike were, of course, quite welcome to join in the festivities.

Still, standing there on he street square, with a few of his more lively acquantiances, the somewhat regal unicorn began to sing.

"We wish you a merry solstice, we wish you a merry solstice!

We wish you a merry solstice, and a happy new year!

Harmony we bring, to you and all kin!

Harmony for solstice, and a happy new year!"

Already, he was feeling a bit warmer.

(Hope you don't mind me joining :) )

The white pelted, blue maned pegasus Colton Cloudkicker was enjoying the festivities at hand in the fair city of Canterlot. The pegasus was accompanied by his loyal pet and faithful companion Sparks the sparrow. The two marched proudly through the snow covered streets observing the scenery as they did, Colton was a traveller at heart so he rarely got to see many celebrations like this but since he had managed to get an extended contract from an important client from within the city the two were finally able to enjoy the holidays properly.

"This is great huh Sparks?" Colton stated as his little bird friend did various loops and turns in it's flight to show it's excitement. "So many things to do, so many places to enjoy." Colton said as he turned in various directions and beamed a smile, "Were to first?" Colton asked himself with the eagerness of a young colt.

The two continued their pleasant tour as their scarf's swayed in the wind, not because of the weather but because of how fast they were moving. Thoughts of all the possible things to do filled Colton's head, he was almost bursting at the seems. But his train of thought was interrupted suddenly as he heard a rather peculiar noise. Colton lifted his ear up to get a better chance at hearing this noise, he squinted his eyes in concentration before he finally realized what he was hearing....singing. Colton flew for the source of the sound almost leaving poor Sparks in the dust.

The two turned a corner to find a group of carollers, Colton stopped for a second to admire the sound before he approached the group further. Colton saw a small collection bucket as he got closer, feeling holiday cheer for the first time in a long time Colton reached into his saddlebag without a second thought and put as may bits into the bucket as he could with a single hoof-full, which was about half of what he had on him at the time. I don't know why I just did that, but I don't care! Colton thought to himself as he further observed the carollers, almost consumed by the spirit of the season.

Turns was a little downtrodden. The Solstice holidays meant to be spent with family. Turns had no family left, and what he did, his mother, could not travel. So he was alone snowed in to canterlot for the holidays. He would at least find a good present to take back to her.

Turns had his headphones of course, he never left home or wherever he was staying without them. But he also had a black scarf and black boots that matched his hair almost perfectly, His manager might not be the one for making good music but she sure did have a good taste in what looked good on ponies. He also wore a pink jacket made of wool, a rare item but one that his manager had been able to scrounge up for him.

It was still early in the evening and he didn’t feel much like celebrating until he heard carolers. “Well I guess there are still people that like to carol for the holidays.” The leader of the group was a what looked to be very well to do pony, Turns identified him almost instantly as the one and only Fancy Pants. ‘Maybe I can join them,’ Turns thought to himself, ‘since I really don’t have any bits to give, perhaps ii can instead offer my voice.’ Turns quickly decided to find out if he could join in the caroling.

“Excuse me sir, I hate to bother you but you groups caroling is wonderful.” Turns smiled, “Would you mind if I joined you?”

A donation from the pegasus, and a fairly healthy one at that! Well, that certainly was cheritable, and the donation was received with a grateful smile and a bowing of the head of the prominent unicorn. Those that would be on the receiving end of these donations would certainly have a cheerier solstice celebration! A moment of thanks was requisite, while those around him continued to sing.

"A gentleman and a samitarian, if I ever came to know one! A very happy solstice to you, my friend!"

He tipped his hat, however briefly, and then somepony else joined the foray for fellowship. Interesting attire - pink wool on a stallion, black accessories? An interesting combination of colours, and it did make him all the more distinctive! Fancypants' attention turned to the approaching fellow.

“Would you mind if I joined you?”

"Of course not, of course not! It's all for the sake of harmony, good chap!" And, with that, a little magic withdrew a blue-tabbed, thin paper book from the saddlebag of carols. Within, about two dozen solstice carols, and parts for bass, baritone and tenor, all of them in treble clef so as to make the reading a bit easier. Behind him, a fair number of empty music stands between what ponies had been with him since the start. "Stand wherever you'd like, join in whenever you feel comfortable in doing so!"

And still, the carolling continued!

Colton felt a particular 'warmness' inside as he was thanked by the unicorn, a feeling he had not felt during the holidays for a while, the pegasus didn't want this feeling to end so he continued listening to the marvellous carolling. Sparks was flying around in the air as the little bird was as absorbed in the festive season as Colton was.

The pegasus couldn't help but wonder something though, Is there anything else I can do? Colton asked himself as he propped his hoof firmly under his chin. Colton contemplated what he could do to help out more, as he did however Sparks observed another pony joining in the carolling and the little sparrow had an idea. Sparks floated infront of Colton and began to chirp a little tune similar to the carollers, Colton knew what the bird was trying to insinuate. "Oh no Sparks, I draw the line at singing in public." Colton stated as he folded his hooves. Sparks then glared open-eyed at Colton and begged for the pegasus to change his mind, "Nope buddy, not gonna happen." Colton said as he stared at Sparks' dissapointed face.

Colton however, couldn't bare to see Sparks upset and decided to take one for the team, ".....Okay fine, but only cause it's the holidays." Colton stated as he playfully rubbed the birds head. Colton approached the unicorn who had thanked him earlier and asked rather shyly but still keeping a festive tone in his voice, "I don't suppose you have room for two more carollers?" Colton asked as Sparks rested on his head, waiting eagerly for the unicorn's answer.

“My name is Turn Tables by the way.” The pink stallion stated as he was hoofed the book of carols. “Thank you very much.” He finished.

Turns attention turned to the Pegasus who was standing next to him. “It seems your friend wants to sing as well.” Turns looked towards the stage were the caroling took place. It was intimidating but being a Dj he wasn’t really all that afraid, but still he wanted to have a little bit of a conversation.

“This is a wonderfully bright city this time of year,” Turns began as he turned back to the unicorn, “By the way I am a DJ from Ponyville, this is my first time visiting canterlot and I must say it is a little intimidating.”

Double M, as he was often called, though his full name was Metal Maker, was enraptured by the sights of Canterlot in the decorations of the holiday solstice. He was dressed warmly against the cold of a mountain city and almost did not hear the singing in the distance. His was a lonely solstice, despite having seen friends/customers in the great pageant.He was far from his home near the Whitetail Woods and his brothers were scattered and settled down with mares and foals of their own. Still, it had been a good time for business and he had a saddlebag of bits to show for it. More then enough for a room and board in the craftsmans cottages at the edge of the city. Still, being alone among all the joy was disheartening.

The sound of voices raised in song was a welcome reminder of home and as he came upon he group, he recognized the leader, Fancy Pants, a well to do pony in the town. Surely his gravely baritone would not be a good counterpoint to the song, but taken by the scene, he dropped some bits in what was obviously a collection kettle for those worse off than him, and shyly waited unil the last song was sung before he asked “Pardon good folk, but may I join in your singing of the joys of solstice?”

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Ginger Mint was tired, it had been a long day, and yet the brisk winter air was invigorating. Now that her work was finished, she wanted to enjoy herself for at least a little while. The sights were truly beautiful this time of year and she knew she didn't fit in with her rustic old hat and fuzzy scarf.

The sound of somepony singing up ahead caught her attention and she cantered around the corner to see what was happening. A small crowd of ponies had gathered around in the square. She looked at the collection bucket on the ground, then into her pocket; three bits and some tufts of lint.

Undeterred, she forged ahead, hoping it would be the thought that mattered.

"Oh, um. Is this... is this the line for karaoke? I, uh... I know its not much," she tossed two of her last bits in the pale, "but could you maybe play Two Doves in the key of F minor? That is... if its not too much trouble."

The pianist nodded and Ginger Mint added one last word before she began to sing. "I'll go through it twice and if, um, anypony wants to join in... you... you're more than welcome."

It was a carol that was meant to be sung in harmony, she hoped that if somepony else didn't speak up to accompany her, her voice might carry the tune well enough alone.

Her voice started low and slow, but gradually picked up in tempo and by the end of the first line, the words were flowing quickly and smoothly. By the ninth line, the song reached a crescendo.

One little dove, two little doves, flying above

flying as one, drawn close in love

outwards they call, to one and all

open your eyes, look far and wide

hurry hurry you'll miss what's to see

ice on the trees, delicately

lights in the sky, gems to the eye

blanket of snow, peaceful below

The earth lies asleep, deep in a dream

dreaming of spring, warmth it will bring

while the land sleeps, joy you can keep

friends should you hold, cast off the cold

enjoy the wonder that surrounds you

affection glows in those who've found you

One little dove, two little doves, flying above

flying as one, drawn close in love

Shortly after the music stopped, she bowed her head and backed up into the crowd to let someone else step ahead.

((Carol adapted from the tune of Shchedryk.))

“My name is Turn Tables by the way.” A bit of an unusual name, as far as the regal unicorn was concerned, but no matter, surely! Still, off that lad went, joining the singers amidst the stands. The piano continued to play, and the singers continued to sing. The unicorn himself simply listened for a few bars, trying to quickly figure out where in the song everypony was.

But, in that short period of time, the generous blue Pegasus seemed to have changed his mind, as he and his avian companion were returning already. Perhaps he'd been more generous than he'd meant, and needed a little back to cover his own needs? That would be unorthodox, not to mention somewhat awkward. But, such was not the case, surely. "I don't suppose you have room for two more carollers?"

"Of course, of course! Plenty of room for every-one." For just a moment, he'd nearly said 'everypony', but the little bird that accompanied the Pegasus reminded him that gryphons and perytons and more might be about. From his satchel, the unicorn withdrew another blue-cornered songbook, offering it to the Pegasus; once again, it contained both tenor and baritone parts, in treble clef. "Here you are! Feel free to sit, stand, or fly wherever you'd like, join in whenever you're comfortable!"

It was at that point that 'We Wish You a Merry Solstice' came to a close; it was not a very long song, after all, but it offered a short pause - even as Fancypants was retrieving a songbook for the Pegasus, he could see at least two more ponies approaching. His attention turned to pianist for a moment, giving him a brief 'hold on for a minute' gesture; after all, it would be good for everypony to get settled and sorted out before they resumed.

But, Turntable started trying to strike up conversation. A bit of an awkward time for it, what with having to try and sort out the growing choir, but he could spare a few moments. “This is a wonderfully bright city this time of year,” Indeed it was, though the unicorn only offered a nod in response to the observance. “By the way I am a DJ from Ponyville, this is my first time visiting Canterlot and I must say it is a little intimidating.”

"I can certainly imagine! The architecture, the altitude, and the very fact that this is the city Her Royal Highness Celestia calls home can all be a bit much at times. Still, for all the grandeur Canterlot boasts, it's still a marvellous place to call home. Ah, excuse me."

And then the brown unicorn approached, another stallion with whom he was not at all familiar! Well, this certainly was becoming quite the turn out, though the choir was liable to get a bit more bass-heavy. Not necessarily a bad thing, though we did wish Fleur was about to balance things off a bit. “Pardon good folk, but may I join in your singing of the joys of solstice?”

"Most certainly, my good sir, most certainly indeed! More does oft make merrier!" And, with that, another songbook was withdrawn from the saddlebag, yet another blue-cornered thin set of papers, identical to those like it. "Feel free to join the other stallions, we'll get going again just as soon as we get everypony settled, join in whenever you'd like!"

It had been a while since he'd held an open gathering like this – he'd almost forgotten how rapidly things could get! He might even have to get somepony to conduct at this rate, if the carolling troupe got sufficiently large. Still, there was yet another pony approaching, even as the pianist decided to take it upon himself to try and decide the next song.

Then, another approached – a young white-and-green mare, one who seemed vaguely familiar, though not nearly familiar enough for Fancypants really place. That aside, though, she seemed a bit confused. "Oh, um. Is this... is this the line for karaoke? I, uh... I know its not much," "Ah, not quite a line..." He actually paused for a moment – Karaoke, that was a word he actually had to mull over for a moment. He opened his mouth, briefly, but it shut once more as he tried to come up with a response. But, she was faster still, and two bits clattered amongst the rest. "but could you maybe play Two Doves in the key of minor? That is... if its not too much trouble."

"Er... Oh! Right, right. Page eight, everyone!" Though that one was in the book, it was in A minor rather than minor. Still, that would likely only throw off the pianist, as it was often more difficult to transpose for instruments than it was to change keys while singing. Not a problem, as far as the instrumentalist was concerned; he'd just play the piano and hope the choir was quick enough to catch on. A nod from the pony at the piano to the regal stallion – all was well.

A note for the baritones, a note for the tenors, a note for the altos, and a note for the sopranos, in the key of minor, and then he began to play. Four bars of introduction to get the rather common tune into the heads of the singers, and the mint-maned mare could begin. The choir that had been there from the beginning followed along easily enough, and those that had joined since could either choose to follow along or not.

And still, the evening continued on.

Colton gave a nod to the unicorn and continued up to find a spot to sing. He walked carefully between ponies, less he bump into anypony and mess something up. The pegasus continued looking for a spot but eventually Sparks pulled on his ear and pointed him towards an empty space, "Good job buddy." Colton whispered as he rubbed the little birds head.

When the two reached they're spot they followed suit and turned to page eight along with everypony. Colton didn't know this one but luckily, Sparks did. The bird began to chirp the tune of the song and walked along Colton's songbook as the words came up, "Thanks for the save Sparks." Colton whispered as he focused and tried to keep along with everypony else. Eventually he got into the right beat and began carolling pleasantly along. Once again the warmth he had felt after donating came back as he continued to experience the holidays like he never had before.

sml_gallery_475_9_365.jpg

Larry the Cable Pony

"Gitt'r done!" Larry shouted as he trotted up to the group. "Glad I didn't miss'r this year! I love carolling, and I love singin' too! Back in school, my music teacher oncest told me my voice was a treasure.... then she told me to GO BURY IT SOMEWHERE'S ELSE! I don't care who ya are, that's funny!"

Larry unfurled a scroll and cleared his throat before he began to sing:

"Dashin' through the slush, with a beat-up bale of hay, Down the street we go, yappin' all the way!

Bells ring in my head, cause I'm a ding-a-ling, How odd it is we got Princesses and we ain't got no King!

Oh, there's the snow, watch it go, grab a lighted tree!

Put that seaweed sandwich down and sing along with me--EE!

There's more snow, movin' slow, cause of all the ice!

We're all full of joy and glee cause Hearth Warmin' Eve is nice!"

As Larry's tone-deaf song is sung, many dogs in the city howl in pain!

"Wow wee! Even them dog critters wanna sing too! GITT'R DONE!"