Faust: "Celestia didn't give the other foals that test..."

Dessa

Wow, I had the right clip in my mind, and I am still confused.

If I was Celestia, and I had intervened with the other teachers to give a certain test to a specific individual...Would I be waiting outside for her to blow a hole in the roof so I could enter?

Story execution notwithstanding, that is a fascinating find. But to me the most interesting part is the purposeful lack of definition of Celestia. How classy,

I dunno about the problem solving bit. From fresh, young unicorns, I would expect the teachers to want to gauge their raw magical potential. You know, to see the best curriculum to place the student into. To do that, I was imagining an arsenal of various magic related admission tests that would gauge just that.

I could see Celestia bringing out the dragon egg from time to time if she had a hunch for a particular pony though.

hi hi

Well, if I was Celestia, I'd be waiting outside because my presence would undoubtedly taint the results of the test. Having the leader of your entire nation standing right next to you could potentially be distracting. And, unless I was willing to do that for every applicant, it wouldn't be a fair test.

hi hi

Well, if I was Celestia, I'd be waiting outside because my presence would undoubtedly taint the results of the test. Having the leader of your entire nation standing right next to you could potentially be distracting. And, unless I was willing to do that for every applicant, it wouldn't be a fair test.

Oh I absolutely didn't expect her to be in the same room.

But if you are expecting the need to intervene, or to greet the lucky pony who succeeds, wouldn't you be in the building?

Except Celestia enjoys the dramatic, for as much as it allows her to escape from the druggery of her duty so maybe she was planning on charging in if something went horribly wrong? If you've got wings AND magic, then a 4th story window is much more complicated an entry than a first story door...

Curious that only Twilight got that test. We know that she's good at magic, but this makes me wonder how good. I hope more feats of daring-doo in the future!

Twilight is the only pony we are AWARE of receiving the test. We've only had a teeny, tiny glimpse into Celestia's magical academy.

Twilight is the only pony we are AWARE of receiving the test. We've only had a teeny, tiny glimpse into Celestia's magical academy.

According to Faust, "The other foals weren't given that test." Perhaps tests are tailored to the students, or perhaps nopony else was given that test in that class specifically, but past or future ponies of promise in different classes got that test? There's a bit of wiggle room here.

Perhaps the proctors were told to use the Dragon Egg test on a foal that they sensed had powerful magic, that could also explain why Princess Celestia was outside, she had no way of knowing when the Dragon Egg test would be given. Also, perhaps similar tests were given to students but not that one, it may be that Dragon eggs are extremely difficult to hatch so most students are given another animal, for example an Owl, to hatch while a student with very strong powers gets the Dragon Egg (and an easier one if they can't manage the Dragon's Egg)

I remember Faust also commenting on Celestia in another of her posts. I believe in the other one, she stated Celestia can somewhat 'sense' events to come. When she imprisoned her sister, she knew that over time that the Nightmare in Luan would weaken, and that the Elements of Harmony could save her. When Twilight applied for the school, she must of sensed, somewhat, that this was the Element of Magic. But Celestia only has hunches, and not clear vision of the future. Because of this, she had to give Twilight a special test. She didn't know WHY she should, but she did because of a hunch.

That's how I see it.

I think it's more that Twilight was just 'special'. No, really. It's like, one of those genius kids who is like ten and goes to college. THAT was Twilight Sparkle. There was no need to sense her magical ability beforehand, because she was probably one of the youngest students they'd ever had apply. Either they expected her to fail, or they expected that she had a lot of talent--either way, a Dragon egg could be the perfect test. Much harder than the usual test, but nopony outside of the school would know that. If she succeeded, she was amazing, if she failed, she would meet the expected result.

What more Could Celestia possibly do though? Everytime we hear of her, she is encouraging and soft spoken. And she isn't hovering over TS, but she is a letter away. She has given TS the space to grow, but still hasn't taken off the training wheels.

Well we are not going to take any dragon assistants away, we can just assume its a very rare event.

I wonder how much premonition Celestia had in determining that Twilight was the one who had that level of magical power (and thus perhaps could be the one to weld the Element of Magic).

Does go a long way in explaining why dragons are so mysterious to ponies in general.

hi hi

Well obviously Celestia could do really smart stuff that I don't even know. :P

I have a feeling Celestia might have some kind of sense, sorta similar to Pinkie Sense, in that she gets semi-random insights into the future, but just knowing something is going to fall from the sky is different from knowing what and when. (Who knows, perhaps Celestia penned predictions and prophecies herself?)