Fear of ACTA

SirShadowdeath

Am I the only one who is fairly scared of ACTA?

I mean...it's total domination of human lives by media companies and the government....

It'll potentially make fanfiction, fanart, let's plays, google, youtube, twitter, and facebook illegal....

What is this world coming to...?

Link to short explanation:

http://video.nixxon.net/~riesling/acta/

It's getting tiring seeing things start with "Am I the only one..." all the time.

No, you're not the only one, please stop making these baseless assumptions as it's agrivating and makes you look like an ass.

Anyway, it might be best to link to an article about what it is, in case someone doesn't know much about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

But what SirShadowdeath states is pretty much true, like SOPA and PIPA, it's another thing that simply shouldn't pass.

It's getting tiring seeing things start with "Am I the only one..." all the time.

No, you're not the only one, please stop making these baseless assumptions as it's agrivating and makes you look like an ass.

Anyway, it might be best to link to an article about what it is, in case someone doesn't know much about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

But what SirShadowdeath states is pretty much true, like SOPA and PIPA, it's another thing that simply shouldn't pass.

It wasn't a statement that I was alone. I know I'm not, because there are potentially thousands, may e even millions, of protestors. It's just a rhetorical way to start a conversation. Sorry for writing that then, I didn't mean to piss anyone off.

It's trending off the SOPA crap. It's all a PITA if you ask me.

ACTA's not trending off SOPA, actually. It's been around for a while, and it's even worse than SOPA and PIPA ever were. Rather than simply allowing the government to censor things it doesn't like, it can fully remove them entirely, regardless of whether it's American based or over seas. Worse than that, it has the potential to start monitoring your internet usage without your consent, allowing them to see your every move. Even worse still, is that this isn't just an American bill; it's an international agreement, that could allow the entire world to put the proverbial black bag over websites and remove them from existence, just because of one little piece of copyrighted media. I can't even begin to go into all the details of ACTA, but know this: if SOPA and PIPA were considered as the final bosses of the internet, this is potentially the final form of that fight. The government is under control by corporations with wallets more vast than their morals. The entertainment industry wants to stop piracy, which is an admiral, but incredibly difficult goal. The problem here is that they're going about it all wrong. A good analogy I've heard on the subject is "nuking an anthill." Sure, you MIGHT stop the problem, but you're going to rise up far worse problems in greater numbers. There are better ways to combat internet piracy, and it's up to people who understand how the internet works to find those methods, not a bunch of old curmudgeons who admit to not having a single clue as to what the whole situation is. Stand up to your government and tell them now that this is everyones internet, and we're not going to let select groups control it in its entirety.

ACTA's not trending off SOPA, actually. It's been around for a while, and it's even worse than SOPA and PIPA ever were. Rather than simply allowing the government to censor things it doesn't like, it can fully remove them entirely, regardless of whether it's American based or over seas. Worse than that, it has the potential to start monitoring your internet usage without your consent, allowing them to see your every move. Even worse still, is that this isn't just an American bill; it's an international agreement, that could allow the entire world to put the proverbial black bag over websites and remove them from existence, just because of one little piece of copyrighted media. I can't even begin to go into all the details of ACTA, but know this: if SOPA and PIPA were considered as the final bosses of the internet, this is potentially the final form of that fight. The government is under control by corporations with wallets more vast than their morals. The entertainment industry wants to stop piracy, which is an admiral, but incredibly difficult goal. The problem here is that they're going about it all wrong. A good analogy I've heard on the subject is "nuking an anthill." Sure, you MIGHT stop the problem, but you're going to rise up far worse problems in greater numbers. There are better ways to combat internet piracy, and it's up to people who understand how the internet works to find those methods, not a bunch of old curmudgeons who admit to not having a single clue as to what the whole situation is. Stand up to your government and tell them now that this is everyones internet, and we're not going to let select groups control it in its entirety.

Very well said. I stand corrected!

However, I think I'm referencing the trend that governing systems are going to be subject to the scrutiny of the internet based off of stuff like this -- which isn't entirely a bad thing, as awareness in any form is good (though I'm sure it could start to get annoying if the internet has to fight every bill du jour).

Don't fear any law. Challenge it to perform in a way that benefits everyone fairly.

To those who keep saying this won't pass:

That's basically the mind-set to have if you want it to pass. If EVERYONE considers it an 'unpassable' thing, then that all puts us in the mind set to not do anything about it considering that it is so ludicrous. We have to be serious about things like this and not just pass them off as impossible because they are very much real, and there is still a chance that any of these could be passed.

The treaty itself isnt so worrisome at this point, rather its in how each government decides to implement laws that uphold the treaty. It means that if you care about your internet and privacy, pay attention to what your government is making legislation for it over- thats the level at which stopping it becomes important. It is not wrong to have fair legislature that prevents mass abuse of copyrighted material- its unfair for governmentsto pass laws that punish everyone's individual rights to privacy in order to do so.

Just subscribe to the best internet news you have on legislative matters, and educate yourself so you know where and when your voice is needed. Think of this treaty as...an organized way our competitor is planning on limiting our rights. Because it is clear in its intention, and defines specific routes, we can also see where our rights are most at risk, and pay attention accordingly.

No need to freak out or fret- just educate yourself and resist being apethetic. No one should say "this isnt important", but no one needs lose sleep either.

Time spent fretting or being apathetic is time wasted for action.

• Like 2