A Good Influence (Mojo, QuickLime, Riverhippo, Xiee, Steel Eagle)

Mojo

ajbanner.png

"Well, alright then. How's about we take a gander at our lemon trees first." Applejack walked over to Reno and entertained him a bit by placing her hat on his head. It was expectedly too big for him. "And I'll let you wear mah hat. What'ya say to that!?"

Applejack led the colt outside to the backside of the barn where along the outer edge of the barnyard blossomed three lemon trees. "Here are our lemon trees. This is one example of something we grow besides apples." Applejack slammed her hoof on the tree. Not very hard--just hard enough to knock a single lemon off one of its branches. As it fell, Applejack hit it with her tail, projecting it towards Reno. "Catch, Reno! Go ahead, bite into it, see if you like it."

Reno tilted his head back as the hat got plopped on his head, tilting his head back so he could see as he followed after her "I like it a lot!" He offered enthusiastically though was indeed rather surprised to find a lemon tree on a apple farm but just grinned more from it and even wider as she gave the tree a hard KICK! Sending a lemon flying his way.

He jumped up and caught it in his mouth biting down.. and made a face, but didn't spit it out until he was back on the ground and giggled "AppleJaaack! That was sour!"

He glanced back at Grannie Smith and waved a hoof excitedly "I Caught it Miss Grannie Smith!"

"Ya sure did, kido!" Granny Smith neighed with excitement. "You're gonna make a dandy farm pony yet, ain't he Strudel?"

"Javol!" the eager bearded stallion said as he walked up to one of the remaining lemon trees. "Fraulien AppleJack, how many lemons does dis farm sell, or are all dees lemons just for dee family?"

"You look like a real cowpony in that hat, Reno," the elderly mare said. "I wonder if we kin find one of our old hats that'll fit ya better. Bet your folks would be surprised to see ya wearin' a real cowpony hat when ya see'm agin!"

ajbanner.png

Applejack chuckled. "Yup, they sure are sour!" Applejack thought the colt was so cute. She counted herself lucky that Apple Bloom was an energetic filly. Without little foals in Applejacks life, she may not have ever had a chance to experience this kind of fun.

Applejack replied to Uncle Apple Strudel. "We just have three lemon trees. We try to keep a little variety for when we need them. We have a few ponies lookin' for lemons every now and then, but we could use the lemons on the farm from time to time."

"Alright, Reno, how about some rodeo? Would you like me to teach you how to throw a lasso?"

Reno's eyes widened as Grannie mentioned finding a cowboy hat that would fit him 'Really!?That would be so awesome!" He said and nodded he would love that... before glancing back at AppleJack, his eyes couldn't get any wider or any brighter as he nodded 'Yes yes yes Please!" He wanted to learn everything! He was really starting to like these ponies, he'd never felt so happy save for yesterday!

As Granny Smith made a 'quick' (for her) trip back to the main house, Apple Strudel walked over with Reno.

"Rodeo? Vonderba!" the excited bearded stallion shouted. "I vould like to see dat very much so! Vee have nuting like it over in Germaney! Vell, vee have Oktoberfest but dat is no rodeo."

Soon (for her) Granny Smith returned holding a smaller sized cowpony hat in her mouth and gently set it on Reno's head.

"Thar ya go, kido! Now ya look the part of a REAL cowpony! AppleJack, hope ya don't mind. This was one of yur old hats from yur filly days that AppleBloom didn't wanna wear. She's more of a BOW pony than a HAT one.

ajbanner.png

"Of course I don mind!" Applejack winked at the young colt, as she took back her own hat and place it back onto her head. "Why, I think every self-respectin' pony oughta have a hat for their very own."

Applejack walked over to a small shed and grabbed a few loose ropes. "Alrighty, Reno. Listen carefully. Ya take one end o' the rope like this..." Applejack used her teeth and her fancy hoofwork to illustrate tying a lasso knot. "Tie a standard knot, then a big one next to it, but not too tight, ya hear? And then loop it through twice, one each way and tighten the knot carefully so that you don't unravel it. Hold on end of the knot and loosen the side up. And then grab the other end and loop it through the loose hole. And that's it! See? Easy as Granny's Smith's pie!" Applejack untied the knot and threw the rope in Reno's direction. "Now you trah!"

• 2 weeks later...

Reno's heart nearly BURST as the smaller hat was put on his head, grinning ear to ear he moved and hugged Grannie Smith, and then Uncle Apple Streusel because they were both awesome 'Thank you !" He bounced a little with joy before calming the buck down and watched AppleJack show off her fancy rope tying. He watched closely like she said to and took the rope in hoof and tried his luck, it wasn't as good as Apple Jacks and wasn't as tight as hers but it was a half way good attempt . He huffed and untied it trying again, tongue sticking out in concentration.

But no matter how much he tried and twisted that rope, no matter how he moved those hooves of his he just couldnt get the rope to TIE! He gritted his teeth about to give up before figuring it was probably best to just ask for help..plus he had ended up tying his hooves up in a knot in the process... "Um AppleJack could you show me how to tie that again? I think I forgot a step" Ears pinned back slightly with embarrassment, and held up the tied hooves.

"And could ya untie me?" Reno was feeling a touch embarrassed because he wanted to do good with this and make AppleJack , Grannie and Uncle Apple Streusle proud of him..because it was nice to have folks that wanted to be around you and showed faith in what you could do...

Reno was now bound and determined to learn how to tie that rope and be the best cowpony that ever existed if it killed him!..Well maybe not that dramatic but still!

"Glad ya like it, Reno!" Granny Smith neighed, "and don't ya fret none bout learinin' ropin'. Yur doin' fine, fer a first try. All good things come with practice, right AppleJack?":

"Mein sister is right, Reno," added Apple Strudel. "Practice does make perfect! I can still remember mein first attempts at baking. Day vere awful! Vhat I didn't burn in dee oven, I baked vithout proper ingredients und vhat I created tasted fowl!"

"I can still remember that one time you blew up the oven in the kitchen cause ya used too much yeast!" Granny laughed. "Oh, did mom and dad give yur flanks a good spankin' over that!"

"Javol! Und I deserved it! But I didn't give up trying to bake! After many tries, I perfected mein apple strudel recipe! Dat's how I got mein cutie mark too!"

"So don't give up Reno, jist keep tryin! AppleJack'll be patient with ya. I taught her everythin' she knows about ropin'!"

ajbanner.png

Applejack stood back. "Uh. Perhaps that knot is a little too confusing, heh." Applejack chuckled with embaressment. How could she have actually thought this little colt was capable of performing a more advanced task. I guess she just liked to see what other ponies were capable of. "Yup Granny, that's right. But let's practice with an easier knot to tie."

Applejack untied Reno quite effortlessly. It's pretty easy to figure out when you know which ends to hold. "Alright, Reno, let me show you another knot. This one's fun, and it's easy too!" Applejack took the rope and wrapped it aroud her hoof twice. "Just make two loops like this and pull your end of the rope through both of the loops, aaand, that's it! It's called a square knot. You can use it get a better grab of the rope, if you're trying to pull something or play tug-o-war with somepony."

Applejack.pngMadden.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

AppleBloomATTEMPT3final.png

It was another relatively successful day for Apple Bloom. As with every good orchard pony, she had done her chores and made sure that her big sis didn't have any complaints regarding Apple Bloom's performance for the day, seeing as how when she did have complaints the day turned sour as Apple Bloom wasn't one for redoing work she had already completed to a level to her liking. But no room for negativity as she had done everything asked of her and on a light day of work like today, that meant more quality time with her friends. Not that her family time wasn't quality and all, but sometimes Abby had to be around those around her own age.

It had been a fun, fun day. Even though they hadn't earned their cutie marks, on some days- an increasing number really- she was happier just to be around them. Such was the nature of good friends and in many ways she preferred it that way. A part of her was worried about what would happen when one of them got their mark, while a larger part of her knew it wouldn't change a thing. Cutie Mark thoughts played a subtle role in her active mind as she came cantering back to Sweet Apple Acres, empty of stomach yet still bustling with energy as she rounded the house towards the collection of voices

"Applejack, ya'd nev- Great Uncle Strudel!" She said, shocked and overjoyed to see him. Why, she hardly ever saw one of Granny Smith's brothers! What good fortune brought him here? She launched herself at the elderly stallion, not giving a hoot for a second as to who else was there. After she gave him a firm hug, she opened her eyes- still attached to her great uncle- and spotted the rest of the ponyfolk gathered 'round. Most of them seemed to be in the proper place, but a stranger adorned these parts now. She was excited to see him too, colt looked caught up in one of Applejack's lessons, but she still had her arms around her great uncle.

"Howdy thar!"

• 5 weeks later...

ForTheForums.png

Reno blinked as AppleJack untied him, attention briefly taken by the loud pink bow wearing filly.. that must be AppleBloom..the pony more keen to bows than to hats... "Hey" He offered her a small smile before watching AppleJack tie the box knot... his ears drooped as she demonstrated it but he moved his hoof up and put it on her own to stop her .

"Show me the knot again please AppleJack? I don't wanna quit after one try" He said and frowned lightly "I dont wanna quit now before I even got one foot out the door! Please?I know it's hard but I can do it!" There was a earnest pleading in the foals voice, the very thought of trying and quitting before he succeeded was tearing him apart inside! Made him think of all the towns he'd gone and started to have a life in but had to quit because they were moving again...That stubbern knot was a personification of never finishing a dang thing and today he wanted to stop that.

"Just one more shot please...?I'll make you proud I promise I just gotta get it! I don't wanna quit and do the easy thing instead!"

GrannySmith1WithText.png

"HELLO. HALF-PINT!" Granny shouted as she noticed the arrival of her youngest granddaughter who was hugging her great uncle Apple Strudel.

"OHHH! NOOKIE NOOKIE NOOKIE!" the white bearded stallion neighed, gently rubbing AppleBloom's head to complete his 'traditional' foal greeting. "It is so vonderbra to see you again! MY, have you grown since mein last visit!"

"And yur jist in time to meet my new friend Reno!" the elderly mare shouted as she pointed AppleBloom in his direction. "AppleBloom, this is Reno! Reno, this here's my youngest granddaughter AppleBloom! Betcha you two have a lot in common, see'n how yur about the same size and age and all!"

Blackjack stomped his hooves in dismay as his search proved futile. Ponyville had no gambling establishments and he was almost out of bits. He needed to find a way to earn some quick money so he tried his hoof in searching for a part-time job just to get by. A small town like Ponyville didn't have that many jobs to offer and the few that were available, failed their criteria. He was starting to worry on how to feed Reno for the next few days.

Speaking of Reno, where did the little colt run off to? He remembered telling him to stay put within the market area until he got back but was nowhere in sight. He began to ask a few of the market ponies and they told him that the little colt had helped Granny Smith carry some groceries back to the Apple Farm. Typical of Reno as he always wanted to make new friends. With a sigh, he trotted over to the Apple Farm.

He had never seen such a huge Apple orchard like this. He could tell right away that the Apple family had to be hard working Ponies to achieve such a feat. In the distance he noticed a small gathering of Ponies near the barn. He could make out two elder ponies, a younger mare in a hat, a colt and a filly. As he came closer he recognized the little colt to be Reno wearing a cowpony hat. He trotted closer and introduced himself.

"Uh hello?" He said in a polite tone. "I hope my son isn't giving you gracious ponies too much trouble?"

• 2 weeks later...

ajbanner.png

Applejack stepped back at Reno's enthusiasm. So this is what it looks like when somepony is stubborn, she thought. She had always wondered what it looked like on the outside. She was impressed. "Well. Alrighty." Let's try it again. Applejack held the rope in view of Reno's short body and slowly performed the knot. "Tie a standard knot like you already know how. Then a big one next to it, but this one needs to be a lot looser so you can do stuff to it. Loop the end through twice, one each way and tighten the knot carefully so that you don't unravel it. If it becomes unraveled or too tight, you'll need to start over. Hold one end of the knot and loosen the side up. And then grab the other end and loop it through the loose hole. And when you're done, you will have made a lasso." In Applejack's honesty, she was sure that Reno probably wouldn't get it this time either. It wasn't an easy knot, and she started regretting bringing it up in the first place. She felt that maybe it would discourage Reno from trying anything challenging ever again.

((here's a reference:

As Reno tried to fancy the rope, another pony came up asking for Reno. "Oh hi. No, not at all! We were just showin' Reno around the farm and I decided to share with him a few rope tricks, he's trying to tie a lasso right now, but I don think he can do-," Applejack turned to Reno and gasped.

Apple Bloom giggled ferociously as her great uncle disavowed momentarily the disability that could come with advanced age, and he took to giving her a noogie with great gusto. After a moment she jumped back from him, still smiling and giggling but needing to redo her bow momentarily. Whenever he visited it was probably going to be one of the best days of her life up to that part of, err, her life. She wasn't sure why it was but he had a way with her that made her feel like she was the only filly in his whole world, and it just struck her every time how loving and exciting he could be. Her granny was pretty special too, and she followed Granny's hoof to the little colt who occupied the space. His name was Reno? That was nice. Sadly, he had arrived at around the same time as her Great Uncle Strudel and was therefore secondary. Apple Bloom gave a teensy little scoff as she playfully and lightly tapped her granny with a hoof.

"Granneh, ah got all sorts of stories ta tell ya 'bout what I learned today!" She said, her eyes still shooting up at Strudel before considering Granny's words.

She nodded to Reno again, the two sharing at most tangential relations before Apple Bloom returned to being completely absorbed by her elders.

"Uncle Strudel, whatcha doin' 'ere? It ain't the reunion jus'yet! How's Germaney? I 'erd ya had some trouble not long ago. Ah'm growin' up real fast! Ah'm a big poneh now, tho' ah don't have mah cutie mark yet but ah'm gonna get one soon!" She started before leaping up and giving him a big kiss on the cheek, her tail more or less flitting around aimlessly and excitedly, almost rearing up with every step even if she had no steps to give out of pure energetic release. She closed her eyes, giggled, and jumped in place for a few seconds as she imagined what wondrous story her uncle had in store for her.

Then during one jump, her legs were stolen from her and before she could come to terms with her new value in life, she was in the dirt.

reno-.jpg

This time Reno focused with the intensity of a thousand suns! He watched each careful loop and pull of that rope and when she handed it back stared it down like it was an opponent meant to be tackled and beaten! He started to carefully mimic AppleJack's movements as he started to tame that rope, it wrapping around his hoof, then over.. and through..PERFECT! He had GOTTEN it! Sure it was his second or third try...and there was Applebloom right in the air... he grabbed the end of the rope and stood up jerking his head around and around to make the lasso loop around and around theen SNAP!

The rope wrapped around AppleBloom's legs perfectly and he gave a tug pulling her down in the dirt, he grinned moving to lightly put a hoof on her back "I got her!" He exclaimed happily before blinking and glancing over at his Dad "Daddy!" He exclaimed standing on his back legs and kicked his front ones eagerly running over to him hopping around in a circle "Didja see Daddy?! Did ya see me tie the lasso!?"

GrannySmith1WithText.png

"I'd love to hear yur stories later on, AppleBloom, but fer now, we got company," Granny Smith said with a smile as her youngest granddaugther greeted Uncle Apple Strudel.

"Germaney is vonderba, fraulein!" the gray bearded stallion neighed. "But I miss mein sister und came for a visit. I even brought gifts for all dee family to give out later."

Moments before AppleBloom got 'lassoed' accidently by Reno, Granny Smith saw Blackjack approaching and asking questions about his son.

"You must be Reno's pa," the elderly mare began to speak, "you have a real nice colt here! He was so polite to help me with my groceries so me and the family wanted to give'm the grand tour of the farm! Yur free to join'm on the tour if ya like."

While she spoke, she heard AppleBloom doing her facepant in the dirt.

"APPLEBLOOM!" the gray maned mare shouted as she and Apple Strudel rushed over to her.

"Are you alright, mein grand niece?"

"You ok, half pint?"

Blackjack had never seen his son this lively and so intent on doing something. He was still surprised when he caught the little filly in the ropes. After seeing his son jump around in excitement calling out to him, Blackjack couldn't help but let out a smile.

"That was amazing Reno!" He trotted over giving him a pat in the head.

An elder mare came towards him saying how polite and helpful Reno was. He always managed to get somepony's attention and sometimes Blackjack feared that his curiosity and eager to help others might have caused a few problems given his reputation, but he was just glad that he stumbled upon such good ponyfolk.

"I'm glad to hear he's been helpful to you ma'am. I'm Blackjack, pleased to meet you. Thank you for taking care of him while I was busy around the town. I was worried where he ran off to when I told him to stay put. I sure hope that little filly of yours is okay." He said as he looked at Applebloom who was getting up from the dirt. "I'm just glad he found a friend his age to play with. Sometimes I wish we settled down in one place instead of moving around like this. He could use some friends."

Come to think of it, Blackjack didn't have too many friends either due to his "problem". He somehow wished that one day he would settle down to bring up Reno the proper way and give him all the attention that every young colt needed. He let out a sigh.

ajbanner.png

Before her very eyes, Reno tied the knot perfectly and threw it under Apple Bloom's feet. Apple Bloom came crashing to the ground with a tug of Reno's jaw, his mouth clamped on the rope he so articulately tied. Applejack couldn't believe it. How did he do it?

A flash of light came from Reno's thighs explaining how it was possible. For a magical moment such as this can only be explained with magic. Reno's cutie mark appeared! Applejack grabbed a hold of Reno. "Wha- Huh! Wha-? Um! Ah! Look! Reno got his, his," Applejack looked at Blackjack who had just came up and announced to anyone with an earshot. "Hay everypony! Reno just got his cutie mark!" Applejack grabbed Reno's flank and picked him up by it. "What do we got here? Is it a knot tying cutie mark?" The cutie mark slowly began into view as Applejack tried to present to everyone what was happening.

Applejack.pngMadden.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

reno-.jpg

Reno blinked feeling tingling in his flank, before hearing AppleJack's cry of excitement, and before he knew it he found himself lifted up in the air.. "Cutie mark!?" He exclaimed glancing down at his flank as the shining light started to fade to reveal the mark that he had apparently just earned! He was grinning ear to ear since he had completely forgot about it! But it felt amazing to know that he had finally found his super special talent!

The cutie mark was a coiled lasso rope draped over a cowboy hat that matched the one he was currently wearing to symbolize his talent for not only tying a good knot, but having a pretty good eye for lassoing and rope tricks in general so he probably had a good future ahead of him as a Rodeo Pony.

"OhMigosh!" He squealed as he squirmed happily, the tied up filly on the ground easily forgotten in his happy blissful state "Daddy look! look! I finally got it !" Reno had been sorta worried that he would be stuck a blank flank FOREVER! Could you IMAGINE not having a cutie mark!? That would be so embarrassing!

GrannySmith1WithText.png

Granny Smith and Apple Strudel galloped over to where Reno was standing. The two of them were shocked to see that the young colt had just received his cutie mark.

"That's plumb amazin'!" the elderly mare shouted. "That sure is a dandy cutie mark!"

"Yavol!" added her bearded brother. "You have a real cowpony kinda mark! It is your destiny to do dis kinda vork!"

"Reckon that means yur gonna need more practice, that's fer sure!"

Blackjack was dumbfounded. He sat on his haunches trying to make sense of what just happened. He just witnessed his son earn his cutie mark. A tear almost fell out of his eye as he remembered how he got his, and how his father was not there for that moment. At least now, he was being a father by being there for his son.

He immediately threw his forehooves around his son in a tight embrace.

"I'm proud of you son!" He said with a huge smile on his face as he ruffled Reno's mane.

Turning towards Applejack, Applebloom and Granny smith he bowed in respect and thanked them.

"I'm honored for you kind folk to help bring out the potential in my son, for helping him discover his special talent. For a while there I thought he would never get to discover his cutie mark, but thanks to all of you, he's finally found it."

From that moment on, Blackjack had to become more serious as a father, he thought. He needed to stop fooling around and just look for a decent paying job for his son and himself.

Apple Bloom had went to the ground without any preparation, the harsh nature of the action and the ground working to confuse her for a valuable few seconds. Her head had dug a hole in the ground and her eyes swam in their sockets for a few moments as she felt her underside follow. Just as she became aware of this, a hoof went down on her back. She felt like she was a pig being slowly corralled and whose defeat was being fawned over for the benefit of the attacker, and this scenario was not one she was happy to be on the receiving end of. The hoof was down right on her spine, both hurting her an almost indescribably small amount and embarrassing her. She wasn't a filly prone to allowing such slights to escape without retribution. Apple Bloom tried strained her neck and eyes to look up and see a joyous Reno triumphantly treating her back like the first step in a staircase. Before the filly could make clear her outrage, a blinding flash of light blinded her.

By the time the light subsided and Apple Bloom's sight returned to her, a cutie mark was emblazoned on Reno's flank as the colt started moving around and dancing, being joined in short order by some stallion and even Applejack! To not only have been lassoed like some animal and fall in the dirt like a foal learning how to walk, but to have that event be the cause of somepony else getting their cutie mark? It was almost too much to bear. Applejack celebrating somepony getting a cutie mark- that was supposed to be her special moment with her big sister, not some new colt that had just wandered in. She didn't know what was worse! It was like they were eating the birthday cake meant for her that had been diverted to somepony else's party and Applejack was there, while Abby didn't even get a slice. Apple Bloom pouted for a second like a dog as she pulled herself up, her granny and great uncle soothing the blow as they were the only two to directly show that they cared about their family members getting treated like farm animals.

"Ah'm fine, Ah'm fine...ya, what was he all thinkin' thar, tyin' me up like Ah'm some sort o' animal..." Apple Bloom nearly growled at the end as her speech trailed off lowe and lower after replying to her elders, turning into a bitter whisper before she corraled her thoughts and decided to play it off for a few minutes more before she would go mope around the orchard, contemplating her blank flank with some more bitterness.

"Yah, real' good job thar, Reno. Yer've gotta nice cutie mark thar. Whatcha gonna do now, go far far away and join one of 'em traveling rodeo shows?" Apple Bloom asked, half-hoping and half-pleading.

ajbanner.png

Applejack set Reno down, so that he could display himself. It must have felt great being a young pony still and being able to show off the things you can do in front of your supporters. Applejack wanted to test it though. It was fun testing the ability of cutie marks. The pony who had them was always so excited, that it was usually the moment that they were most enthusiastic about their special talent, and Reno looked like her had just ate a bolt of lightning. "Remember them lemon trees, Reno? Let's see if you can grab a lemon fruit with just your rope all the way from here."