Nostalgia blast

DashieInTheDark

So, lately, I've been getting a LOT of nostalgia blasts. I guess I just can't "let go" of the past, and I really miss those days. Of course, I KNOW this is normal, and there's nothing but memories left, I just felt like bringing this up, so it wouldn't have as much of an emotional impact on me.

I've been thinking a LOT about my past, as I moved 4 years ago. We didn't move but 7 miles, but a lot of memories are in our old house. We drive by it often, so I'm reminded of it. I don't WANT to forget the place, as my life is a BIT better where we are now. (By better, I mean I'm older, I've got my own Computer, room, more respect, etc.) I just kind of miss the old days. But who doesn't? Be advised, I'm NOT looking for sympathy here, I just felt like chatting about it, really.

I remember watching Toonami every night at 10:30, which, for us at the age of 10, was late for us to be up. We'd watch Dragon Ball Z episodes, as they aired on CN's Toonami block. This, alone, is something I miss dreadfully. If CN were to bring Toonami back ,my life would almost be 200% awesomer. That, and playing Sonic Adventures with my brothers on the original Dreamcast.

Playing in our porch (was an enclosed, "play" area that wrapped around the front of our house) and having to clean it every 4 weeks, and the job that was. I miss it all. The smell of fresh cut grass, the cars going by, and the night lights. By no means did we live in a "city" but a rather small, "nice" community. We live in the country now, which is a BIG change, but we've adapted. Watching Courage the Cowardly Dog, staying up until what we thought was extremely late. (11:30 / 12:00) and just having a great time altogether. I know for a fact you all feel the same way, too. We've got photos, and videos of our past, of course, but that only deepens the "sadness" of times past. It's hard to personally express my feeling, as you weren't a part of my past ,but I hope you know what I'm feeling. I don't cry every night "hoping" to go back to those times, as we do get older, and learn new things, and make families of our own, I just miss them, is all. Of course, we're making memories here, too, which we must not forget. Though life out here is a dull, same, boring routine.

8:00 AM, School, 12:00, Lunch, 5:00, Chores. (Taking care of our farm animals) and 6:00 / 7:00 dinner. No games / computers / such past 8:30 PM. We usually go to bed at around 11. (Though lately I've been up much later, and getting on the computer much later then I should..) In the 4 years we've been here, we haven't made any "memories" that any of us will remember. Nothing horrific, nothing exciting, nothing happy, anything. It's just the same, old, boring, everyday life. As of now, my life consists of lunch, dinner, (sometimes breakfast, but I usually just eat a good lunch) chores, and school. Mixed in with doing stuff on the PC, and riding my 4 wheeler. Yeah, figure the order of all that.

Like I stated before, I don't expect, nor want any "sympathy posts" because just posting this alone makes me feel a bit better. I'll just have to look at the memories positively, even as hard as it may be to do so.

Who knows what tomorrow holds.

• Like 1

It's always good to look back and think about the past. How you've changed from then, and how sometimes those memories serve as a happy place and that you're sometimes the only one in the world who has those specific memories that no one but you can remember.

I feel the same way, since I moved out of my home last year. I also lived in a simple neighborhood, which never really used to get much attention from outsiders or city dwellers, and really made it all the more precious.

It was an unforgettable eight years that my family and I spent there. We made so many friends, had such great times, and really learned to adapt to the society.

It was very sad to move on to a different place, since the neighborhood had to be taken down and demolished.

And just as we moved to a new country completely, everything we knew from our old home had been taken away. Even our friends.

But I'm not sad. In fact, I'm quite happy, because I've still got my family, and we're all moving on to a new stage of life that we're ready to embrace.

It really contents me to know that I really didn't lose anything from my old home, because it's all in my head. :)

(Plus, I got those friends on FB lol)

Oh god.

We had the exact same thing happening a while ago.

"So, lately, I've been getting a LOT of nostalgia blasts. I guess I just can't "let go" of the past, and I really miss those days. Of course, I KNOW this is normal, and there's nothing but memories left, I just felt like bringing this up, so it wouldn't have as much of an emotional impact on me.

I've been thinking a LOT about my past, as I moved 4 years ago. We didn't move but 7 miles, but a lot of memories are in our old house. We drive by it often, so I'm reminded of it. I don't WANT to forget the place, as my life is a BIT better where we are now. (By better, I mean I'm older, I've got my own Computer, room, more respect, etc.) I just kind of miss the old days. But who doesn't? Be advised, I'm NOT looking for sympathy here, I just felt like chatting about it, really.

I remember watching Toonami every night at 10:30, which, for us at the age of 10, was late for us to be up. We'd watch Dragon Ball Z episodes, as they aired on CN's Toonami block. This, alone, is something I miss dreadfully. If CN were to bring Toonami back ,my life would almost be 200% awesomer."

THAT'S THE SAME THING I WOULD DO/SAY.

ALL OF IT.

Yeah, I have been having the same issues. I stumbled upon some stuff from Kablam! on YT and remembered all those afternoons spent watching Prometheus and Bob, Action League Now and all those other great cartoons from the 90's. Also, brought back memories of running around in front of my grandparents house, getting tied to a tree by my cousins once, and going to the roller rink and playing Bubble Bobble. How I miss those days and still look back on them fondly....

I think everyone likes to look back on the past. Remembering the good times often comforts people and gives them that boost they need as they go through day to day life. Like when I'm in Aquatics at college and I'm stuck with that evil tutor who hates one student and everyone sees her yelling at the student. At those times all I want to do is scream because I think it's mean to blame an innocent person for being childish when they weren't. So then I start thinking about those innocent childhood days when I'd watch Rugrats on TV on Nickelodeon in the morning. I'd remember going bike riding with my childhood friend who lives across the road. I'd remember coming inside when my legs felt tired and watching Dexter's Laboratory, then Cow And Chicken. It makes those awful lessons bearable. Though I have a feeling that the tutor will lose her job if she keeps acting the way she does.

I'm prone to nostalgia about childhood, so with me it tends to be more a steady trickle than a blast. But in fact, I did have one fairly recently, and it was triggered by the recent movie The Muppets. Pardon the length. (Warning: I'll try to avoid spoilers, but there may be a few mild ones.)

Although technically the Muppet Show, and the original Muppet Movie, were before my time, I nonetheless sort of grew up on them. There were always reruns of the show on, and my dad was a fan so we had the movie on VHS (we still have the tape, in fact), so I watched them a lot. And although the show was always funny, The Muppet Movie, in particular, always got to me. Partly that was because of how it was presented as happening in the real world, just with Muppets added in, but it was also the simple-but-appealing theme: a bunch of friends getting to where they wanted to go by relying on each other. And everyone singing "The Rainbow Connection" at the end, all together, that put the finishing touch on it. (If anypony isn't moved by it, then for the life of me I can't see how.)

So, fast forward twenty years. For a large chunk of that intervening time, especially since late middle school or so, I'd become pretty jaded. A geek, not many friends, then exposure to the Interwebs and all the stuff on it that can cause a person to become jaded. I still have fond memories of the Muppets, in a distant, sad sort of way, but they're pretty firmly in the realm of "stuff from my stupid innocent days". But then, just in the last year or so, I become a brony, and I get somewhat less jaded than I was. Although MLP:FiM isn't the Muppets, it opens some of the same old doors in my head. Where at some point I might've been excessively cynical about friendship and happiness and other such innocent things, it's not so much the case anymore. So I hear about The Muppets, and although I have a suspicion that it's going to be a pale reflection of the original, I decide I want to go see it.

...Well, all I can say is, the people who made the movie knew what they were doing. It's not exactly the same as the old Muppets, but pretty close. And it seemed specifically designed to pull in people who were of the age to have Muppet-nostalgia, particularly about the first movie, to which it's basically a long-delayed sequel. And it touched on the same old themes as the first movie, with a sort of "whatever happened to when people cared about this kind of stuff?" overtone to it. I found myself wondering where all the innocence had gone... or, I suppose that, for a little while, I stopped feeling like a 29-year-old and felt more like a nine-year old who'd had to go through the trauma of seeing humanity's dark side for twenty years.

And then... yes, right near the end, they start singing "The Rainbow Connection". And the audience inside the movie joined in. And then there were a few people in the REAL audience who joined in, too. I didn't, but only because I pretty much started bawling my eyes out at that point.

...so yeah. :sad: