Would be nice....

Ah, I just love threads like these. I was going to dump a wall of text on you guys in a "new" thread, but I figured, "Why not here?"

65 episodes is good for syndication, yes. It's the "Magic number" when it comes to cartoon shows, yes. However, over the past few weeks, I have been doing a ton of research. I'll be publishing the full document sometime in May when it is finished.

If we are to take a step back, and view the older generations, I'd caught something that I hope some of you have too. The pre-g4 MLP focused mainly on Direct-to-DVD/VHS "episodes" or "movies", if you will.

Yes, there were "seasons" of episodes, but the merchandise and direct-to's for the show is what kept it alive for the whole entire run until now. Which is the main reason, as of 2009, the MLP franchise was, and is still going strong. That's 30 years after it's initial release. However, G4 took a completely separate approach, with the help of Lauren Faust. This is due-in-part as to why the show had kicked off so nicely. Sure, 4chan "began" the bronies, but would there be as many if most of G4 was ONLY Dvds from the beginning? Meaning you'd HAVE to purchase $5+ DVDs just for episodes? No, because, here's why. After the 4chan users "caught interest" in the show, (Which is confirmed to be via The hub) episodes were slowly uploaded to Youtube. Even though the show was on a cable Channel, without Youtube, the show wouldn't be NEARLY as popular, if, at all. Many of you watch the show on The hub, but only after you'd seen of the show via the internet. And the show became so "popular" by the internet. So in a nutshell, the popularity of this show is tied directly to Youtube, and it's easy access to the show. This only applied to it's pre-stages ,being May-ish and earlier.

Of course, where you'd watched it, or found out about it, may not be the same, the "popularity" of this is tied to 4chan and Youtube primarily. This brings me to my next point.

The show was made for little girls, and that was the initial intention. However, what it seems ALMOST ALL of the fandom is oblivious to, is the intent of Lauren Faust. This show wasn't made "for 4 year old girls." per say. Sure, the "My Little Pony"

line prior to 2010 WAS, this, however, is not. Lauren Faust's desire to make a show that appeared enjoyable to an older audience, as well as boys, is what got this show moving so fast.Much how "The Powerpuff Girls" isn't a 'girly show" by any means.

What started out as a joke with 4chan and MLP, quickly turned into something magnificent. Lauren Faust's intention was caught on, and people started actually watching it. Once again, this is tied to the easy access of Youtube.

In a matter of roughly a year, 4 months, and 1 day, this show has gone from a regular program on The hub for children, to an internet phenomenon. The show is taken very seriously, with that subtle hint of "We're not too serious, but we just love it so much". which is what keeps this fanbase going strong. The fanbase, brings me to my NEXT point.

Hasbro may know OF the bronies, but they are not directly tied TO them. This being said, of course they appreciate the spike in sales since the show took off on the internet. But one thing you all need to remember, is that we're, no matter what you'd like to believe, in ANY case whatsoever, their main target. The show is directed at children aged 5-11 or so. Like I stated before, Hasbro doesn't 'hate us" for liking this show. However, just because the show caught on in 2010 / 2011, and is SO BIG, that does not MEAN by ANY means, that they would alter a franchise that is 30 years old this year. If we're to appreciate the show given to us, we need to remember these simple facts. That being said, by now, I bet that any of you reading this, are wondering how this pertains to this topic? Well here's how:

The fear of this show coming to a grinding halt at Three seasons, and thirteen episodes, is quite bogus, actually. And I'm here to hopefully enlighten you by pointing out many facts as to why.

Let us begin. First off, how did the franchise survive 30 years already? Because of the target demographic. If it is true, then there are more girls watching this show then bronies, by a ratio of 70/30. Which is as Hasbro had intended from the beginning. Except, that ratio would be 100/0. There may be say...10,000,000 bronies on the internet, (Which is extremely high and unlikely) but given the research I have done, the conversion rate is, at the moment, 3 bronies per little girl.

That would bring us to 30,000,000 girls, given the statistic of 10,000,000 bronies is true. At this moment, there are more than 40,000,000 little girls that are hooked on the franchise in general. Not just the show, or the toys, or G4, or an G specific.

Because FiM took a "season" approach, and not a direct-to approach, it is apparent that we will not be getting many DVDs for this show, at least, not in the near future. If they were to completely "cut" G4 at 65 episodes, it would be a HUGE marketing mistake on their part. Dropping G4 would mean that there would be an absence of over a year without ANY MLP related marketing. Because they have to finish S3, and then go onto S4, or G5, whichever of the two comes out. That would mean a year or longer break for them to finish enough episodes to air even monthly. A year where Hasbro can't use their show / DVDs for marketing? That's downright ridiculous. Such a company would never pull a stunt like this.

Hasbro may come off as "evil" to some, but they're not dumb enough to pull off a move like this, that would WRECK their marketing. Did you know? The MLP shows make up more than 70% of their marketing as of Mid-2011.

That being said, the fear of syndication may still linger in the air, but you musn't worry. Hasbro will always have a plan for marketing the franchise with a show or DVD. The show had gone through drastic changes when switching to a new animation style, which, apparently, was for the better. Also- remember this, too. Hasbro, despite the bronies possibly losing interest in the show, would not just "stop making" it, because, as I said before, the ratio is 70/30. We'd only hit 1/3rd of their marketing. It would be a HARD hit, but not enough to bring them down. Also, who confirmed S3 for ONLY having thirteen episodes? Nobody, that's who. Yes, the idea of syndication is present, but even that isn't confirmed. At this point, the only thing "confirmed" is that there will be AT LEAST 13 episodes. Not a maximum OF. Even so, assuming the show started directly AFTER the finale of S2, (being the next week) that would carry us until July 21st. That's a LOT of Pony left to be seen.

So even now, you shouldn't worry about the show "ending too soon." And of course they're going to have a break between seasons. If we were to add a 3 month break, that would bring us to October 21st. That's PLENTY of Pony left.

What you SHOULD be worry about though, is what to do between the seasons. Will the fandom slowly lose interest if the finale is poorly executed? Will we even watch Season 3? Who knows? We'll have to sit along and take a ride and see what happens. By now, I hope this has given some of you a bit of "reassurance" and you shouldn't worry as much.

Being a brony from mid July of last year, I find myself more accustomed to the feel of this show. It isn't as super exciting ,and the fanbase has really "calmed down" so to speak. Thsi being said, I don't 'hate it" any less. But could these be signs of us(me) slowly "losing interest" in the show? Who knows? It's all speculation at this point. And remember, kids. Speculation causes rumors. Rumors cause worry, and worrying causes drama and problems. Much like the predicament we're in now.

Are you going to stop watching the show IF it is confirmed to be ending at only 313? Didn't think so.

In completely OTHER news, I'd like to share with you my first video I had saw before becoming a brony. This video actually brings tears to my eyes. I'd seen it back in June, and I look back on it, and remember what a journey it's been. I hope some of you get the same nostalgia feel I get from it. :)

---lots and lots of stuff---

Absolutely amazing summation, DitD.

It always amsues me that such serious discussions happen over a "kids show". This really brings Faust's brilliant redesign of the series to center-stage that people take it so seriously.

There is still an interesting question here, even if we are 1/3 of the audience, how much does that matter to Hasbro? Do they look at it as "we dont want to lose 33% of our profits!" or "meh, that's only 33% we still have 66% left so pfft" If they are smart they will take a lesson from G4 and continue this same development plan, whether for S4 or G5, since, in theory, that would mean they'd lose 0% of profit as long as they stuck with what works. Depending on how much they change for the theoretical G5 there's a large chance they could lose some or all of the Brony following. Again, if they see it as "33% is a loss we dont want to see", then there's a good chance they will simply run with G4 untill the profits slowly level back down to Pre-G4 levels (i.e. when all the bronies have lost interest --- although with the recent surge in more mature storytelling, this could take a long time, which they may be well aware of)

Also, as I've said before, while I do agree that they dont see us as a primary demographic, we are still a large audience with lots of $$$ to spend. We all saw the ED post where they were hiring a new marketing director SPECIFICALLY to handle the 'brony' demographic (exact words "MLP in pop culture") so I think they have some interest in keeping up on-board (of course, as stated, 33% is a large demographic, even if losing us wont break them, it will sting) Right now, I think the whole problem we're having is simply a lack of communication. Hasbro could release a statement as simple as "Season 4 is in pre-production" and all of this would settle down - not even stating if S3 would be 13 or 26 episodes. They could even be more vague and just say "MLP will return in Q4 of 2013". Why do they not do this? I see two options

1. they like the hype.

This is an old tactic of gennerating false interest in a series by leaving unanswered questions, however if we look back, it's also hit-or-miss because some fans will get tired of the hype over 'will it continue or wont it?' and with an episodic series like FiM this will work even less because there is no 'big question' to answer. If the series were serialized, then people would be screaming about "you cant wrap up the plot in just 13 episodes, you'll be either rushing the story and ruining it or leaving too much unanswered!"

or

2. They dont know themselves.

There are a lot of questions that float around studios when deciding which shows to sign for a next season. I'm sure we can all name several series that were quite popular that never got the "next season". Some of this has to do with "will this new property X be more popular than old property Y?" and some people say "well Y has been on the air so long that people will welcome something new and different" so they may set Y on the back burner. There's also something else they're gambling on - ratings. Right now they're banking on high ratings for the Season Finale, since they're hyping it so much and making it a 2-parter. If the ratings fall flat they may decide to end the series after 313 (though there is a very ligitmate argument of "if it does good we wont have time to make another 13 episodes between then and fall season, though arguably they could have 314-326 *partly* done so they can either trash or finish it as needed) If the ratings soar, then there's a much better chance of a S4, or possible even just a S3 part-2.

As for the brony phenomenon fading... I think we're just calming down. Given some of the polls and such that have popped up on verious places (including the Hub itself) I'd say the show isn't losing any major popularity, I think the initial party's over but everyone's still hanging around because they're enjoying it. i.e. we're not as vocal (except for the derpy incident) but we're mostly all still here. I think until FiM ends, there will still be a sizable brony demographic, wheather this contributest to the shows longevity remains to be seen though.

-lots of text-

First of all, thank you for reading all of it. Took me 40 minutes to write it. :3

To start things off, I want to talk about your question of "how much we mean to Hasbro."

We're, like I had said before, only about 30% of FiMs marketing right now. And like I said, even if we all lost interest in the show, I don't think they would "stop making it." because it wasn't made FOR us.

Sure, Hasbro would be devastated if they noticed their sales dropped by a whopping 30%, but there's nothing they could do to changed what happened. Even if they were to pull an awesome move, and bring bronies back, for that period where we weren't there, they're constantly missing out on 30% more money. Which is why I don't see them pulling anything risky on us.

It appears some of you have been worrying about them making a transition from G4 to a "new G5"? Some of you think an entire new beginning, some of you believe the CMC, etc. And what is this? Speculation? Exactly.

Once something is widely believed so much, to a lot of people, it becomes true. Much like how some of you on here believe that it is confirmed that S3 will only have 13 episodes. G4 is still going extremely strong, and they haven't a reason to change it. The reason they switched between G1, 2, 3, and "3.5". is because their main demographic lost interest in them. Changing Generations, and changing their merchandise, if even slightly, works as a defibrillator for the franchise. And it is apparent ,after four generations, that this tactic is working. So, until the little children lose interest in G4, I'm pretty sure more episodes will be coming toward us. This brings up another good question, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

With the easy access of this show through the internet, and how fast the brony community is growing. What were to happen if this ratio were to be say...flipped? And there were more bronies than girls interested in the series and merchandise following it? Of course, this sounds absurd, and downright, unlikely, but it IS possible, and is approaching that state slowly. If you're to argue that "Hasbro wouldn't change their MLP line because of people outside of their target demographic" then you are partially correct. However, if bronies were to became the larger part of the show, and we were to all lose interest, it would need to be rebooted for not only us, but to gain more girls watching this show. So only then would we get a G5.

This brings me to my last point. The way this show is played out, ti appears Hasbro, at this point, is not trying to "shove the merchandise in our face", so to speak. Not once have I felt like I'm watching a toy commercial. And apparently, this tactic is working on their part. So, if they've learned what is and isn't good, I can promise you that G5 will NOT be a letdown. This s ONLY ASSUMING that the show will not require a reboot, but rather, just moving onto a new generation in a few more years.

-wall of text-

You bring up lots of good points, though I do dissagree that they are nto and will not send any 'brony' merchandise our way. We have some apparel now, and I think that if we stick around long enough, we may get a few 'collectables' either from memorable moments in the series (yes I'l still hoping for a statue of Dash performing the Sonic Rainboom) or of the mane 6 and possibly Celestia/Luna. Beyond that, though, I only see, at best, more show-acurate toys (which we are getting such as White Celestia) that can arguably be marketed towards either demographic

This next part is mostly opinion, so feel free to skip it if you want. However, I feel that there is a special 'magic' or 'chemistry' in the way the show is set up right now with the mane cast. I think any changes to it will upset the balance and end up at best fragmenting the bronies, possibly disbanding them alltogether (discounting those who decide to just say "we will base our whole (website/fanfics/etc) on G4 and nothing else") There has been some talk and speculation about a "G5" or closer a G4.5 being the mane 6 are reduced to mentors and the current foals (specifically the CMC) taking over as the main characters. While I love the CMC I just dont think they could fill the horseshoes of the current cast, even if they are basically direct analogs of their 'siblings' (AB/AJ, SB/Rarity, and scootaloo/Dash) I see a smaller cast running into a lot of problems on the writers end (yes, we have a ton of foals running around, but none of them are really close to the CMC) In short, even such a seemingly minor change could throw off the delicate balance that makes the show so special.

Your take on why they reboot is interesting, I don't think I've ever seen it explained like that. Normally I just see "new writer/team, so reboot" or "it's been dead so long nobody (whether it's writers or viewers) remembers the series plot, so reboot" If you are indeed correct that hasbro is looking at it as "when popularity wanes, we push out a reboot" then my original (hopeful) hypothesis could be true - if nothing changes G4 may be the last generation because there is no *need* to reboot a G5. (and I'm seeing a LOT of new named ponies lately, no doubt at least half are purely for the sake of making toys based on them)

I also would like to touch on something you mentioned before that I missed --- the whole reason G4 exploded like it has is because of one thing: the Internet. There have been many sources, including Hasbro's marketing director and Faust herself say that nobody expected this to happen. The reason is simple, it's a new medium and new technology that most of them didn't grow up with an likely aren't terribly familiar with. Starting with likely my generation (who were born at the dawn of the home computing era and are now starting to move into prominent positions in the industry) forward, I think we will see more and more series "explode" like this when they can grab an audience. MLP was simply the first of it's kind because of the demographic shift (while I'm sure plenty of little girls are playing pony games on hasbro's website, I'm betting the vast majority of pony fans on the internet are in the teenage+ demographic) So it came out of left field. Once the 'shock' wears off (which I think it's starting to do) I think more series will try to harness the power of the internet to promote their brand (I wouldn't be surprised if we learned one day that user X on a site like 4chan was the PR rep for Brand Y) MLP is the start of a trend, not a one-time fluke (though for little-girls cartoons, it could be a fluke, for series in general, I think it's the start of a new trend)

*busts through the walls of text* Ahah!

I think there's more behind pony popularity than just "the internet made it popular, and it has a good design." There's a lot more elements working in harmony that make the show what it is.

Hasbro has said themselves that they aren't quite sure how to handle us (yet). They've made a few good trots in the right direction, but only time will really tell what will happen. They've been pretty good about keeping us hyped and sending teasers out, so we know there's a definite support toward the internet culture -- on top of their laissez faire treatment of YouTube. But, we also know they have limits on what they're willing to put up with (Ponyarchive, Derpygate).

For me, the biggest enemy to pony is the Hub itself. As the channel gains popularity and more content, they'll need to cater to the non-pony audience as well. With this happening, the chances become higher that their spearhead series might take a back seat to the majority audience (which might probably be young males).

Also looking forward, if FiM does become a long running series, I think it should be put down in a dignified way when the time comes. To give a good example, The Simpsons should have been euthanized a decade ago. As much as I'd hate to see it (FiM) end, it eventually does need to end.

I think there's more behind pony popularity than just "the internet made it popular, and it has a good design." There's a lot more elements working in harmony that make the show what it is.

Hasbro has said themselves that they aren't quite sure how to handle us (yet). They've made a few good trots in the right direction, but only time will really tell what will happen. They've been pretty good about keeping us hyped and sending teasers out, so we know there's a definite support toward the internet culture -- on top of their laissez faire treatment of YouTube. But, we also know they have limits on what they're willing to put up with (Ponyarchive, Derpygate).

For me, the biggest enemy to pony is the Hub itself. As the channel gains popularity and more content, they'll need to cater to the non-pony audience as well. With this happening, the chances become higher that their spearhead series might take a back seat to the majority audience (which might probably be young males).

Also looking forward, if FiM does become a long running series, I think it should be put down in a dignified way when the time comes. To give a good example, The Simpsons should have been euthanized a decade ago. As much as I'd hate to see it (FiM) end, it eventually does need to end.

No matter how they end this show, I think I'd be going down in tears by the end of it.

Of course it isn't "confirmed" by any means, but what I imagine when I think of this show ending, is "similar" to how some of the Pokemon seasons ended.

I can imagine Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy outside of Twilight's house. After a long (2-part I hope) struggle, it's time for them to leave. I don't imagine them being elderly, or anything like that. (As of writing this, I'm holding back manly tears, and you'll soon see why. :() The sun is arching over the hills north west of Twilight's house, and all six of them are gathered outside of her house door. Spike being on Twilight's back, of course.

Twilight discovers her "research" of friendship in Ponyville is completed, and so she must return back to Canterlot. Applejack and her family were "offered a business preposition" they just can't refuse. Rarity is becoming more "well known" and as such. is offered an estate in Canterlot. Rainbow Dash isn't leaving, however, because she's in charge of the weather patrol. And of course, her fear of being alone sets in, and she breaks down, but keeps a "straight face" on the outside, which the others can clearly see through. Fluttershy isn't leaving, so it will be her and Rainbow Dash left to roam Cloudsdale and Ponyville still. Pinkie Pie however, does not get to stay. At this point, her parents had not shown up thus far in the series, and it is only now that we get to see them. We see them approaching and walking up the hill, with her sisters, approaching them at the library. Her father says "Pinkimena, it's time to go home." with the sun casting a shadow over all of them.

Of course, because they're already all leaving, Pinkie is already upset, but this sets in, and it becomes even worse. She walks toward them with her head down, slowly, with tears running down her face.

Twilight calls out to her "Pinkie, come over here real quick" and she picks up her head quickly, and the tears are clearly visible. She walks toward the rest of them, and they form a circle. With each of their hooves in. "Just remember everypony," Twilight says "Friendship is magic." At this point the circles disbands, and they all part ways. Each walking a separate direction. At this point, the strong violin and piano music sets in, and the screen fades to black.

Text comes on the screen, saying "Friendship is Magic" and fades out a couple seconds later. The credits are not interrupted, and the piano / violin music carries on.

THAT. ^ That is how I want this show to end. No matter how rough their friendship is, it truly would never die. Of course, the part with Pinkie's parents seems vague, but that's the point. And yes, I AM turning this into my first complete fanfiction, and this is probably the ending to it.

What do you all think of that?

I think The Hub is the best thing for MLP. The Hub allows for MLP to have quite a bit of creative freedom. I don't see the channel suddenly gaining a huge amount of popularity forcing it to cater to a new audience. Its nicely tucked away on a channel few people get and MLP is a huge ratings grabber for it. If MLP were on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, or Disney then those channels would not see it as important

I'm in the opposite camp in regards to when I want a show I like to end. I understand the thought process behind, "End it while it's still kicking butt". I get it. I, however, prefer to see something I like go on and on until they hit a wall and produce a bad season. Why? Because while I may not enjoy the end, I'll get whatever awesomeness is between when I thought it might end(S3) and whenever it does end. I know that the show ended only because it exhausted itself and that the creative minds behind it did their damndest and just couldn't work with it anymore. No 'what-ifs' or mysteries about who, what, where, why, when regarding its cancellation. No discussion if it had anything left in the tank. Keep going until it isn't good anymore.

There were like 9,000,000 of these "legit news updates" posted on April 1st, which is like 3.177 troll images for every 1 brony troll/hater out there in the world. Until someone provides you with the link to the actual Hasbro website where you can read their official statement and not a doctored screen cap, then don't take any "leaked" episode summaries for granted.

It shouldn't even be a question of "if" when half of the episodes center around fandom jokes that Hasbro would probably never touch for fear of another Derpy incident. The fact that they would be 99% of the brony community's dream come true should probably be the first indicator that shenanigans are amiss. A lot of them sound like fanfics more than plot synopsis too, lol

The only episode from that list that could even be halfway possible would be Princess for a Day. I mean, twilight is her protege, maybe something dire came up, and celestia had to step out for a little bit? Though it would still be quite a stretch, Im sure she has advisers and whatnot.

Also, 3 bronies for every girl equals 3 times as many bronies compared to girls, not vice versa. Please dont hate me :scream:

Yeah I highly doubt that this is real, which is a shame ^^ I would love to see a body swap episode and the C-Mark Crusaders finally get their cutiemarks but the 'Twilight as ruler' part threw me off. That just doesn't seem possible... so I guess this is fake.

Hopefully though this will spark the imaginations of our lovely MLP writers!

BODYSWAPBODYSWAP :D

Totally fake. MLP FiM just has too strong a fan base to end it there. I reckon the series will last as long as Spongebob has, which to my knowlage is still actually going.

i think this show could put sponge bob out commission. SBSP has been on for too long.