Magic the Gathering

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the art for the set it seems like a battle for Ravnica between Planeswalkers.

Favorite set for me would be any of the Kamigawa sets because the cards do work but you have to read them with other cards like the 5 myojin deck I am making, each card works in a huge complex puzzle.

Favorite card is Ob Nixilis, the fallen from Zendikar.

Wall of Frost is pretty annoying. But only because I dislike all the cards that make games go long. I would rather play three 10 minute games than one hour long game.

The people I play with are not anywhere near as competitive as I am. I have had to shift my play style and decks to match their definition of fun. The biggest change this caused was the need to remove disruptive spells that stopped their decks from functioning. It works out alright since they do the same, but when I play with other people, I need to tighten up my decks first.

My vampires run off of Erdwall Ripper, Markove Blademaster, and Curse of Stalked prey. I just recently transformed it into red/black Vampires. The only thing I'm kicking myself for is not doing that sooner. It works really well. Only problem is it takes turn 3 to get started because almost everything costs 3

My vampires run off of Erdwall Ripper, Markove Blademaster, and Curse of Stalked prey. I just recently transformed it into red/black Vampires. The only thing I'm kicking myself for is not doing that sooner. It works really well. Only problem is it takes turn 3 to get started because almost everything costs 3

I've got a friend that has a similar deck, and the blademaster with a whispersilk cloak is pretty scary. I'm trying to convince him to add some one-drops, even if they are as lame as "pulse tracker", just to give him some early game. Pretty much the only good one-drop vampire is "Stromkirk Noble", which is expensive, and he only has one.

well, my early games run off of flame slash, doom blades and terrors. The can't hit me if they don't have anything to hit me with Another card I forgot to mention that with Blademaster is completely broken, but I also have Sword of War and Peace in that deck. It is insane. I've one hit killed someone with that card before.

Yeah, double strike is a fun mechanic. Pretty crazy stuff happens with it. I have gotten off to some insane starts with kor duelist. I wouldn't mind owning ANY of the swords, let alone War and Peace. I drafted an Umezawa's Jitte recently, but I'm thinking about selling it.

I've got a friend that has a similar deck, and the blademaster with a whispersilk cloak is pretty scary. I'm trying to convince him to add some one-drops, even if they are as lame as "pulse tracker", just to give him some early game. Pretty much the only good one-drop vampire is "Stromkirk Noble", which is expensive, and he only has one.

Pulse Tracker is an amazing one-drop. You choke on your lies!

While I admit that "lame" isn't a fair description, neither is "amazing". I've seen it shine in multiplayer, but I haven't been terribly impressed with it in a duel yet. The modern era of vampires is still pretty new, and we don't have much to compare it to.

I wish there was some way we could all play online. I'm sure there might be?

I wish my real life collection was also available on Magic the Gathering Online without haven't to repurchase them all. As it is, I doubt that I will ever join MTGO. Magic is one of the few strategy games that I play mostly for the social aspect. I played chess and go online all the time, but MTGO doesn't really appeal to me.

Although, if we were on it, it would be fun to play you.

The newer players that I have talked to have enjoyed duels of the planeswalkers, but I haven't heard what any of the veterans think of it. My only taste was when I worked on some of the puzzles. I think I did 8 puzzles that required zero thought. I just played efficiently. One puzzle required a few moments of critical thinking and had a satisfying conclusion. And one puzzle had 4 of us stumped for 20 minutes.

The newer players that I have talked to have enjoyed duels of the planeswalkers, but I haven't heard what any of the veterans think of it. My only taste was when I worked on some of the puzzles. I think I did 8 puzzles that required zero thought. I just played efficiently. One puzzle required a few moments of critical thinking and had a satisfying conclusion. And one puzzle had 4 of us stumped for 20 minutes.

I actually dislike Duels of the Planeswalkers very much. Mainly because the game doesn't let you come up with your own strategies and such. You "have" to play the planeswalker deck to it's style and it gives you little margin for customization.

I actually dislike Duels of the Planeswalkers very much. Mainly because the game doesn't let you come up with your own strategies and such. You "have" to play the planeswalker deck to it's style and it gives you little margin for customization.

Heh, yeah. I heard that the newest version is actually going to give you control over what land you tap. It was a shock to me that that wasn't already a feature. My understanding is that it has been a successful recruiting tool for new players, and that is a very good thing for the game. It doesn't seem to be designed with the veteran player in mind, but it seems to do well with the target audience.

Heh, yeah. I heard that the newest version is actually going to give you control over what land you tap. It was a shock to me that that wasn't already a feature. My understanding is that it has been a successful recruiting tool for new players, and that is a very good thing for the game. It doesn't seem to be designed with the veteran player in mind, but it seems to do well with the target audience.

It does help recruit new players, but it doesn't give the full experience. I am hope that they put EDH into the new one, for it has the greatest challenge and it is fun to see what people do while playing.

There is this: http://store.steampo....com/app/49470/

It's supposedly good, I don't have windows, so I wouldn't know.

I haven't played the 2012 version, but if it's anything like the previous version it's incredibly limited. Almost no customisation. You get a few pre-made decks, and you can unlock cards to add, but you can't take cards out. :shock:

Would not recommend.

Playing MTG online for free?

http://www.magic-lea.../apprentice.php

Blam. I will accept payment in internet hugs.

Ah, I've played Apprentice before. Was okay. A little disappointed that it doesn't do damage calculations or anything automatically, but I guess it's like the real game that way.

Only sets up to future sight though, which was a couple of years back at least.

It does help recruit new players, but it doesn't give the full experience. I am hope that they put EDH into the new one, for it has the greatest challenge and it is fun to see what people do while playing.

I have a friend who probably would never have tried the game except for the video game. Now he regularly hosts a Saturday night get together with about 8 people showing up. It gave him a taste, and that was enough to drive him into the physical game quite strongly.

As for EDH, that is not a newbie friendly format. It adds lots of extra rules, and dramatically increases the number cards that you must read for the first time. In my experience, after the first game a new person plays, if they are still interested, they want to play the first deck that they tried several more times because they are starting to get used to how it works. With EDH, you could get through a whole second game without seeing more than a handful of cards that you recognize. It is a wonderful format, but it is for after you have the basics down.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived