Trying to learn FiM style - suggestions welcome!

Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. ^^

My only attempt at FiM thus far is my profile pic for Strawberry Blossom, whipped up in... I guess an hour?

strawberry_blossom_by_nikkicub-d3dh2fs.png

I'd like any style pointers y'all have to offer. For practice I will take limited... very limited... requests. (Limited because I am slow, easily distracted, and work two jobs. X3) To keep myself from getting overwhelmed, I would appreciate it if you guys limit it to one request at a time; once I post one request, I'll be ready to take the next.

Thanks!

Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. ^^

My only attempt at FiM thus far is my profile pic for Strawberry Blossom, whipped up in... I guess an hour?

strawberry_blossom_by_nikkicub-d3dh2fs.png

I'd like any style pointers y'all have to offer. For practice I will take limited... very limited... requests. (Limited because I am slow, easily distracted, and work two jobs. X3) To keep myself from getting overwhelmed, I would appreciate it if you guys limit it to one request at a time; once I post one request, I'll be ready to take the next.

Thanks!

Well what I used to get started when drawing ponies is this list of guides, which as since grown.

Also thisthat Aquadrop found.

XD I was only picturing pink because of This Gal. I guess there was also a baby later with the same name that was blue with purple hair.

I forgot that was her name! I only had Sealight as a kid.

Hah, I love the one of her in the little tub as an "exchange student."

Thanks. XD I had a lot of fun mental images with this kid.

I just squee at the 'inchy squinchy!' that she keeps saying. *^_^* And the exchange student one is adorable!

Strawberry certainly looks *big*. Which is, of course, the point! :)

One suggestion I would make is to remember that they have manes, not hair - so *usually* (there are exceptions) they have the mane-style only on one side of their head, and coming from the center of their head.

You know what would make her super cute, some little scales placed like freckles. Just like, a couple on her cheeks. I just keep mentally seeing it and it makes me go "dawwww"

...that is genius. I will add those in a bit. You are a genius. XD

She is so much cuter when she is colored.

Thanks. Color (almost) always makes it better!

I just squee at the 'inchy squinchy!' that she keeps saying. *^_^* And the exchange student one is adorable!

Strawberry certainly looks *big*. Which is, of course, the point! :)

One suggestion I would make is to remember that they have manes, not hair - so *usually* (there are exceptions) they have the mane-style only on one side of their head, and coming from the center of their head.

Thanks. X3 I'm glad people seem to enjoy her, and will have fun with her on the Crossover board if nothing else!

As for Strawberry's hair, I keep arguing with myself on that. She has pigtails, so her hair would naturally pull forward on both sides; I'm just having a hard time pegging it (and the show tends to show pigtailed ponies in profile only). Gonna keep trying though!

True, pigtailed ponies are one of the big exceptions with that, but the big way to help with that is probably the front of her hair - not the pigtails themselves. The front of her hair - her bangs - looks like it's coming from a horizontal line across her forehead, instead of a vertical line up the middle of her forehead, or 'thrown forward' from between the ears. I'd imagine that's probably the key to making it look more like a mane.

Let me show you a little sketch I did, I was tackling pigtales myself. I think they read more like pigtales when you make them stick out a bit from the pony's head. Especially from the front.

sketch6.png

Does that help? I thought a visual might give you and idea. Even on a horribly rough sketch like this. Haha.

It did indeed! Though Strawberry's pigtails are a bit longer, I imitated slightly for some doodles.

And now. Horribly rough roughs. I don't like working in pen because I am bad at it and can't erase and it is scary, and I love working in pen because I can't erase so it just forces me to go with it without getting nitpicky, you know? These were done at work on sad, wrinkly receipt paper, but I'm happy I got the ideas down.

Rough for Rough'n'Ready: Got his basic look, just working on the 'still fit but getting thicker with age' thing. Also, it was surprisingly hard to draw a male muzzle thanks to habits learned for female.

roughnreadydraft.png

Rough for Raspberry Blossom: Again a basic look. Need to make her head bigger and perhaps her back shorter, but this is why Celestia gave us SAI.

raspberryblossomdraft.png

Aaaaaand working on Strawberry Blossom, specifically her forelock. |D

Original concept was the forelock through forward:

berryforelock1.png, like this handsome fellow here.

Working on Bramble's suggestions for a more manelike look, I tried this - not quite right, but not terrible.

berryforelock2.png

Tried again with the simple solution of a central part. I don't like it, but am showing in the interest of full disclosure (and drawn more carefully it might look okay for another pony, but not Strawberry.)

berryforelock3.png

So I went back to the second one and replicated it with less... emphasis on the central tuft. Need to tweak the fall a little more, but it looks cute and is something I can easily cheat for best look in 3/4 or profile view. Might be on to something with this one!

berryforelock4.png

And thus ends a boring look at process. Thanks to Bramble and Willow Wisp for tips!

(And thank you too, Tales. ^^)