Somone tell me what I'm doing wrong...

O_o what about the tags makes it look private? (not being rude, asking so I can avoid it in the future, I had no idea)

To be honest? When I've read them, some sounded like they were names of forum users somehow. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention, but it really did for me back then...

Yeah, it seems when an RP starts here it only takes 15 minutes and it's 10 pages long... my rule is to not join if more than 3 rounds have taken place, because by then everyone's settled in and has their plots going. (Not to mention SO many on here seem to start as "closed, PM for invite" which immediately turns me off - I dont even bother to read it, I just go on to the next thread.)

so true, threads with PM for invite turn me off immediatly as well.

I almost never look at PM first/invite only threads myself. I actually tend not to ever just jump into threads unless they are explicitly marked as being open. I don't know, guess I just feel awkward about joining unless it's perfectly clear they want anyone who wants to join and I just assume they already have something planned out when it isn't marked.

So yeah, how you mark/tag the threads is definitely important in how different people feel about jumping into them. Of the two topics linked, I can definitely see why someone might have not given the first a look. I actually looked at the second one myself, but just felt I didn't have the right sort of character for it.