[SPOILERS]Need some help...

IceStorm

Well, prior to the latest Episode of FiM, I had decided to write a fanfic where one of the princesses had gotten kidnapped, but I first wanted to wait and see what Princess Cadence was like. You know so I had a full perspective of all the characters that were going to be involved with the story and to get personalities right. My problem now though, is they have used this EXACT plot now twice in FiM. Once in the first Episode (Princess Celestia getting kidnapped by Nightmare Moon, and now in Royal wedding (Princess Cadence getting Kidnapped by Changling Queen). I am at a loss to whether I should try to go ahead and do this fanfic, or if I should just trash it. The very fact that it's been done twice makes me skeptical, and even discouraged because I don't think I could write it as good as HASBRO, and I HATE providing low-quality work. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well, this is the ART discussion forum, so perhaps your question about a fanfic is better asked elsewhere, but in my opinion the two plots aren't remarkably similar. Cadence was physically imprisoned and left to her own devices (which didn't amount to much since she is pretty weak and has strictly noncombat magic and couldn't break out herself). Celestia was, for all we know, not strictly speaking imprisoned at all, rather magically banished off this plane of existence or otherwise rendered absent. If your story actually involves kidnapping, i.e. capturing and forcefully holding a princess against her will, especially with the intent of getting something out of the kidnapping other than simply having the princess absent, you should go for it. It shouldn't be too hard to put a different spin on the whole thing.

If you can pull it off, you can probably do it.

Think about it this way. How much fanart is there from the episode already? How much more will there be?

Or, more along your lines, how many shippings fics have their been of the same characters together? Stories repeat all the time.

I'm with tales, plot lines repeating aren't new, it's the individuality that goes into each new twist each new writer adds to it. I say go for it.

I'm with tales, plot lines repeating aren't new, it's the individuality that goes into each new twist each new writer adds to it. I say go for it.

Thanks, I've decided to go ahead and take Tales' advice (and yours or that matter), and I went ahead with it. For anypony that's still following this topic, I have the Fanfic that was in question in this topic up. It's only the first two chapters. How long it's actually going to be, I'm waiting to see.

For anypony that wants to read the fanfic, it's in the writer's discussion, or you can just click here: vv

My Little Pony - An Equestrian Emergency -