A question of terminology

CrescentBlaze

It seems to be a trend on the boards to not use 'Earth' as a term in any sense of the word substituting it with Equestria. It makes sense to me for certain phrases such as "what in all of equestria!" and the like, but even outside of these phrases ponies seem to avoid it like the plague. I'm seriously confused because the ponies in the show have, on more than one occasion, referred to the ground they live on as Earth in both the sense of soil and the actually globe/planet itself. I'll quote Pinkie Pie from the hearth warming eve episode "I've got a news flash for ya cookie. The Earth is round. There is no up or down."

Im just curious as to what others will make of this as I have yet to see anypony of the opinion that it is ok to use this terminology on the rp boards.

The planet they live on is called Earth, so in the sense of that statement Pinkie is in the right. But when it comes down to the smaller, coins of phrase that you have stated like: For all of Equestria and such using the word Earth isn't a proper fit. You can in fact say Earth here since it is canon (as far as I know) that Equestria is but a large part of land on their version of earth.

I hope that helped.

Yeah thanks I get what you're saying. This really all sort of stemmed from when a fellow OC said the phrase "Let me give you a down to Equestria tip." that phrase just kind of bugged me as it seemed like a mouthful when a pony could just say earth instead. It just confused me as to whether Earth was officially considered canon or not.

thank you! :D

Yes, at that point he should have said Earth instead of Equestria.

Phrases like that or something per say like: (insert ponies name here) is a really down to earth pony. (Pun intended if it is an earth pony... +100 points if it is.) At that point it is acceptable to use Earth since as you stated with Pinkie's statement she does in fact mention EARTH so. I hope this also helps clear it up a bit.

Well, it's entirely possible we're talking about earth, not Earth, as in the physical property, the term for land. In fact, in that same episode, though later on from that clip, the "Earth" is christened as such by Pinkie and AJ (Puddinghead and Smart Cookie, but still). That way, saying things like, "down to earth" would fit, but otherwise it would be Equestria. Some things, like "the earth is round" might be difficult to explain away, and I'd say it's just a mistake, given that there are other slipups (occasional "everyone's" instead of "everypony's", etc).

<cracktheory>Or, technically, the show takes place on Earth. They use the term Earth, and in "It's About Time", Twilight Sparkle mentions the Horsehead Nebula, possibly a one off joke, but anyone in the know for astronomy knows that it exists as a real thing. She also mentions the stars on Orion's Belt in Art of the Dress, as well as Canis Major and Minor, all constellations visible from Earth. </cracktheory>

That could be it, but I doubt it since the fact is that Equestria, as far as we know is just a very large land mass on their planet, it IS NOT the name of the planet, since there are other nations and such about the world. I do think that Earth is the planet's name in this case and could be used accordingly. As it stands there is no evidence to disprove any of my points. If the ponies do it in the show, then it is safe to do here as far as I am concerned. Except for Pinkie Pie being in like six places at ones, that is kinda just her thing.

<cracktheory>Or, technically, the show takes place on Earth. They use the term Earth, and in "It's About Time", Twilight Sparkle mentions the Horsehead Nebula, possibly a one off joke, but anyone in the know for astronomy knows that it exists as a real thing. She also mentions the stars on Orion's Belt in Art of the Dress, as well as Canis Major and Minor, all constellations visible from Earth. </cracktheory>

Extrapolation on the theory: the reason for the mishmash of tech is that equestria is After The End and is a Scavenger World, so they're adapting human tech that managed to be preserved somehow. (legit theory, check TV Tropes)

That could be it, but I doubt it since the fact is that Equestria, as far as we know is just a very large land mass on their planet, it IS NOT the name of the planet, since there are other nations and such about the world. I do think that Earth is the planet's name in this case and could be used accordingly. As it stands there is no evidence to disprove any of my points. If the ponies do it in the show, then it is safe to do here as far as I am concerned. Except for Pinkie Pie being in like six places at ones, that is kinda just her thing.

Simplified: Equestria is a country, like the USA, Mexico, Sweeden, etc. Earth is the planet. now how large equestria is, is up for debate, but I think this is the simplest explanation.

Simplified: Equestria is a country, like the USA, Mexico, Sweeden, etc. Earth is the planet. now how large equestria is, is up for debate, but I think this is the simplest explanation.

Chrysalis actually suggests this in the last episode. "Equestria has more love than any place I've ever encountered." So... there are other places to encounter besides Equestria?

Unless like, they're aliens or some biz.

Ok I figure I can use the same thread for a similar question. Baby and foal. Whats the deal for thread use. in the baby cakes episode they use baby sitter and then in the season finally they give us foalsitter. So are baby and foal two separate measurements of ages, or are they the same thing but interchangeable? Is baby even allowed?

please answer/discuss.

Ok I figure I can use the same thread for a similar question. Baby and foal. Whats the deal for thread use. in the baby cakes episode they use baby sitter and then in the season finally they give us foalsitter. So are baby and foal two separate measurements of ages, or are they the same thing but interchangeable? Is baby even allowed?

please answer/discuss.

Well, it's like the same as in our world, where we have baby, child, kid, but they all can mean basically the same thing. Or somebody, someone, somepony-they're interchangeable.

So Equestria is like, a post apocalyptic land like in Adventure Time?

you know, I kept putting off watching this because of FiM, maybe now it's time I did, I keep hearing good things about Adventure Time...

And this idea actually makes he happy in a way, to think that one day after all us murderous, back-stabbing monsterous apes are long dead a race of sentient, peace-loving ponies will live in our place. Makes me smile to think about it. :)

And this idea actually makes he happy in a way, to think that one day after all us murderous, back-stabbing monsterous apes are long dead a race of sentient, peace-loving ponies will live in our place. Makes me smile to think about it. :)

the feeling is mutual. It's comforting to think there is a future brighter than the one that appears to be looming around the corner.