Magic the Gathering Libraries(decks) discussion

Is there a llanowar elves equivalent in the format at the moment? Any card with one casting cost, that produces a green mana on tap with at least 1/1 stat would be fine. *although I have seen birds of paradise used just because it is flying.* I would use four of those instead of wild growth, unless there is some combo there for being a enchantment that I don't see. Did they change it to be a aura?

The benefit being you can dump 4 rancors on the 1/1 and attack with it pressing fast damage through if you need to. *usually as a sacrifice of the elf* And you get all the rancors back!

Or at least replacing sacred wolf with two elves. I think they are too expensive cast wise and since all the rest has quite high mana cost, more mana excel would speed up the early game.

Vow of wildness I think looks pretty good and it's cheaper. I think it flows better with your untargetable combo too. It's a grow deck not a saproling one. I actually think gigantform might be better then ancestral mask. But more for a topdeck surprise. I would probably only run one. And the other another elf. I remember trying ancestral mask in my deck that ran over 20 enchantments, and it never pulled its weight so I took it out. Rancor just did a better job as the creatures the enchantments were attached to died regularly. But maybe you are getting better milage out of it then I was due to the format. So it's really debateable.

Nothing to draw cards though? Or is there not much that does that in green now?

Wild Growth combos with the Aura Gnarlids. And Ancestral Mask. So just 6 cards at the moment but these 6 cards end games over and over again. Note that the mask also combos on opponent's enchantments, and occupies a great spot in my curve. I consider adding more all the time, but the lack of trample can be a problem. I try to put them on my ledge-walkers if possible. Which reminds me, I took out the naturalizes for seal of primordiums, so the mask combos with that too.

And you are right about the sacred wolves. I hate them. I keep forgetting that I have a troll ascetic, but it is too expensive too. However, were I to take out the wolves, I fear I drop below the minimum threshold of enchantable creatures. Elves are high risk-low payoff to enchant. If I needed more mana, I would probably add utopia sprawl. I'd love to see a hexproof, one-drop mana accelerator made, even if it were 0/1.

This is a casual deck, so I am not constrained to Standard. What card draw would you recommend? Argothian Enchantress would be perfect, but I'm not willing to pay $15 for it. Maybe a Harmonize?

About other Auras: Bequeathal, Canopy Cover, Carapace, Elephant Guide, Fist of Ironwood, Frog Tongue, Instill Energy, Keen Sense maybe Mythic Proportions? One with Nature helps in ramping. Pattern of Rebirth can help against Wrath effect's. I would also put Elixir of Immortality or Wheel of Sun and Moon in sideboard to protect againts mill. Boggle and Gnarlid are both Beast's - Rein's of the Vinesteed may be some use in exploiting that. Venom can be use in case of facing first strike+deathtouch combo.

Adding white too can be good option. This combo of colors indeed have some awesome auras like Armadillo Cloak or Shield of Oversoul. Pure white aura's are efficent as well - Cho-Manno's Blessing, Crown of Awe, Daybreak Coronet, Hyena Umbra. New Felidar Umbra from Planechase can beckome Plan B in case you need to outlast the opponent. Flickerform too can help against removal. White also gives nice selection of Aura supporting creatures like Kor Spiritdancer and Umbra Mystic.

Most of those green things are way less efficient, or split my focus. I don't have time to worry about wrath or milling or someone somehow getting out a quick combo. Spider Umbra is in the deck because it advances my goal AND protects the creature, not because it gives them reach. If bequethal gave +1/+0, it would be in the deck in a second.

Ah, I had forgotten Armadillo Cloak, I've got a couple. I don't like the blessing, because flicking ward is already in the green/white version, and I believe it is superior. Especially with Celestial Ancients. Daybreak Coronet is soooo cool! I didn't even know that that existed! That downside would almost never apply! Hyena Umbras could absolutely make the white version, where I get concerned about my auratogs and celestial ancients as much as my aura gnarlids.

This looks like a good way to pass time while I wait for my app to be approved.

Name: The Bugmaster's Den

Colors: Mono green

Format: Casual

Land: 25 forrests

Creatures:

Green

Llanowar Elves: 4

Tangle Spider: 4

Giant Spider: 4

Seedborn Muse: 2

Elvish Pioneer: 2

Stingerfling Spider: 2

Elvish Eulogist: 2

Nantuko Disciple: 1

Alpha Tyrranx: 1

Garruk's Horde: 1

Arachnus Spinner: 1

Cudgel Troll: 1

Fyndhorn Elder: 1

Vastwood Gorger: 1

Oran-Rief Recluse: 1

Nissa's Chosen: 1

Timbermaw Larva: 1

Wood Elves: 1

Craw Worm: 1

Creatures:

Artifact

Copper Myr: 2

Necropede: 1

Wall of Tanglecord: 1

Etched Champion: 1

Non Creatures:

Green

Rampant Growth: 4

Arachnus Web: 3

Overrun: 2

Ascreticism: 2

Primal Cocoon: 1

Overgrowth: 1

Sylvan Bounty: 1

Blunt the Assault: 1

Viridian Harvest: 1

Heal the Scars: 1

Carrion Call: 1

Artifacts:

Goldern Urn: 2

Chimeric Egg: 2

Obelisk of Naya: 1

Wirefly Hive: 1

Trigon of Infestation: 1

Sword of Light and Shadow: 1

Lich's Mirror: 1

Ok, The idea of this deck is, surprise, bug themed creatures with lots of mana produceing elves and spells, with some healing spells on the side. I know it probably has too many cards, so I suppose the most appriciated criticism would be what I should drop and what I should keep.

Fun!

Now, I would widdle it down to 20-24 lands, between 24-28 total mana sources and 60 total cards, but it is more fun to talk about the fun insects that you are missing! Well, one quick comment:

I might have 20 forests, 4 Elves and 4 Nantuko Elders (yay for insect acceleration!).

Nantuko Vigilante for some insect related destruction.

Token generators include: Symbiotic beast, Hornet Queen, Living Hive, Symbiotic Wurm, One-Dozen Eyes and Spider Spawning.

Some of the cheaper ones include: Deadly Recluse, Broodhatch Nantuko and Ferropede

Thematic ways to win include: Triumph of the Hordes, Lure and Biorhythm.

I've actually spent a fair amount of time coming up with and tweaking an insect deck, but I was never happy with it, so I gave up before I actually made it. Still, I keep thinking about it since it sounds fun.

How did I guess Bugmaster would have a bug deck? Honestly I don't think you have enough bugs in there! :lol:

When I seriously want to win, I use my mono-red burn. It's wicked quick and hits hard, fast.

Rose's Cinderheart:

Ball Lightning x4

Shock x4

Lightning Bolt x4

Incinerate x4

Kindle x4

Flame Burst x4

Fiery Temper x4

Lightning Blast x4

Arc Lightning x4

Ancient Tomb x2

City of Traitors x2

Final Fortune x2

Mountain x18

I only have so many bug cards! There's always ebay, but those things can be wicked expensive.

With the exception of Hornet Queen, just about everything I talked about was in the 15 to 50 cent range on many sites included coolstuffinc.com ($1 shipping for all the cards together).

Rose's Cinderheart:

Cool. Do you have a Wheel of Fortune? Seems like a mana barbs could help too. Get in a quick 13 damage, plop in on the field, and now they have 6 mana left for the rest of the game.

Or maybe spark elementals? Chain lightning is a cool old card too.

Ok! I now have another deck that's sort of still in construction. Here's a Goblin-ish damage deck.

Name: WREAAAAAAAAAAAAACHHHH!<---(Goblin scream lol)

Colors: Red

Creatures: (18)

4 Goblin Arsonist

3 Goblin Fireslinger

1 Ember Hauler (Should probably get more)

1 Goblin Chieftan

1 Flameblast Dragon

1 Pierce Strider

1 Pilgrim's Eye (May remove)

2 Perilous Myr

2 Iron Myr

2 Palladium Myr

Non-Creature (17):

1 Flame Slash

4 Lightning Bolt

4 Incinerate

2 Goblin Grenade

2 Fireball

2 Curse of Bloodletting

2 Curse of Pierced Heart

Planeswalker: (1)

Chandra Nalaar

24 Mountain

With the exception of Hornet Queen, just about everything I talked about was in the 15 to 50 cent range on many sites included coolstuffinc.com ($1 shipping for all the cards together).

Cool. Do you have a Wheel of Fortune? Seems like a mana barbs could help too. Get in a quick 13 damage, plop in on the field, and now they have 6 mana left for the rest of the game.

Or maybe spark elementals? Chain lightning is a cool old card too.

Those would all work well. I can't stress how OP Final Fortune is. It can easily win a game for me, and has many times.

Ok! I now have another deck that's sort of still in construction. Here's a Goblin-ish damage deck.

Colors: Red

Creatures: (18)

4 Goblin Arsonist

3 Goblin Fireslinger

1 Ember Hauler (Should probably get more)

1 Goblin Chieftan

1 Flameblast Dragon

1 Pierce Strider

1 Pilgrim's Eye (May remove)

2 Perilous Myr

2 Iron Myr

2 Palladium Myr

Non-Creature (17):

1 Flame Slash

4 Lightning Bolt

4 Incinerate

2 Goblin Grenade

2 Fireball

2 Curse of Bloodletting

2 Curse of Pierced Heart

Planeswalker: (1)

Chandra Nalaar

24 Mountain

I will tackle this one.

I like Goblin Arsonist, but I must say - always prefered Boros Recruit as my favorite goblin one drop, still, it's just my preferance. If not, why not add Bloodmark Mentor? Little more about Arsonist...- Skirk Prospector works fine with him as do Voracious Dragon. I also reccomend waiting for M13. Both Krenko, Mob Boss and Thundermaw Hellkite can be good additions. If you use Curse of Bloodletting then use Malignus too. Curse of Pierced Heart is too slow for my tastes. Also Fireball is no, no. Use Comet Storm, Banefire of Demonfire instead. For Perilous Myr - Kuldotha Rebirth. Both Iron and Palladium Myr's can be replaced by Braid of Fire, but I realise that it can be expensive. Also as much as I like Nalaar, her third incarnation is just better as is Koth(who is win con in itself). I would also pick some artifact destruction in the sideboard.

This is only some lose toughts. I never played goblin deck myslef, more like Suicide Red. I will let others pick up from here.

Rosie, can you explain why Final Fortune is so good? It basically says, "untap everything, replace this card, attack again and then you lose". But then you don't have creatures that can attack twice, so the only benefit is untapping all your mana. I'd think that a chain lightning would be safer and more powerful. What am I missing?

I love my goblin chieftain. I should get more since they are running less than a $1. I just won a game by equipping him with whispersilk cloak (I don't recommend including this card, it is to protect my goblin assassins). The more lords the merrier! Goblin Kings cost the same, help you have a middle game, and can steal a game out of nowhere if your opponent has a mountain. Furthermore, it often combos with blood moon.

I don't know what your budget is, but I got most of these other cool goblins by luck:

Goblin Recruiter (put Goblin Ringleader on top!), Mogg Fanatic, Goblin Lackey, Siege Gang Commander, Skirk Fire Marshal (with Mogg Maniac for the win!), Goblin Warchief, Mogg War Marshal and Kiki-Jiki. Goblin Assassin is only in my offbeat goblin deck.

Also, my goblin decks have won many games with Kyren Negotiations, which is so powerful (any only 25 cents) that I include three, even though they don't stack with each other. It is also useful with Goblin Assault, which might otherwise lead to the terrible death of your whole army. I don't include ANY acceleration, but I need a minimum of 27 mountains to make the recruiters work.

I cannot overstate how much fun four goblin recruiters ($2) are with a goblin ringleader ($3). I'm so glad that the collection I purchased a while back got me so many strong goblins.

How did I guess Bugmaster would have a bug deck? Honestly I don't think you have enough bugs in there! :lol:

When I seriously want to win, I use my mono-red burn. It's wicked quick and hits hard, fast.

Rose's Cinderheart:

Ball Lightning x4

Shock x4

Lightning Bolt x4

Incinerate x4

Kindle x4

Flame Burst x4

Fiery Temper x4

Lightning Blast x4

Arc Lightning x4

Ancient Tomb x2

City of Traitors x2

Final Fortune x2

Mountain x18

Shock beckome obsolete with printing of Burst Lightning just saying....

Also Banefire, Comet Storm ect, ect....

Shock beckome obsolete with printing of Burst Lightning just saying....

Also Banefire, Comet Storm ect, ect....

Burst lightning is strictly better than Shock, but that doesn't mean shock is obsolete. I still include shock in my lightning bolt deck because I need so many of them. This deck is lots of fun too, and I have done 42 damage with a single shock, which was enough to kill three other players. The next turn I did 48 damage with one shock, which was about three times the necessary amount to finish off the last guy.

Name: Lightning Bolt Theme

Color: Red

Format: Casual, Slanted towards Multiplayer

(1)4xLightning Bolt, 4xShock, 4xBurst Lightning

(2)4xIron Myr, 2xSparkmage Aprentice

(3)4xForeisian Totem, 4xChandra's Spitfire, 2xAura Barbs

(4+)2xGauntlets of Power, 1xAkki Lavarunner, 1xKazuul

(4+)2xFire Servant, 2xGalvanoth

(4+)2xDjinn Illuminatus, 1xInsurection, 1xPast in Flames

Sure, galvanic blast would be better than shock, but even if I replaced those shocks, I still have two Sparkmage Apprentices and 2 Aura Barbs that I am not terribly fond of. Note that I have never yet kicked Bust Lightning.

Thought up sort of as a joke;

Name; Self destruct/Bail

Format; Mill

Color; Blue

1 Jace the mind mage

1 Tamiyo the moon sage

1 Chanciler of Spires

4 jaces erasure

3 belltower sphynx

3 rotcrown gowl

4 Amass the component

4 Alchemists apprentice

2 flight spell bomb

• 2 weeks later...

Alright you magic experts, let me ask you this. I'm sure you all know that every spider in the game has reach, and a good chunk of them even get some kind of bonus for blocking a creature with flying. So do you know any good cards, preferably green, that I can use to give my opponents creatures flying? It's perfect for me, not only is it a creative trap to spring on my enemies, but it would also be one of the funniest, most schadenfreude ways to screw them over.

Out of the dozen or so MTG decks I own, this is probably my favorite one thus far: http://www.mtgvault....x?DeckID=357867

The primary focus of the deck is to pump out tokens whilst establishing control over your opponent's actions. Sigil Captain is easily the most important card in the deck, as it turns those 1/1 tokens into 3/3s or greater. It combos well with Glen Elendra Archmage, allowing you to counter an unlimited amount of creatures so long as you have the mana. Sigil Captain also pairs well with the Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek combo, allowing you to pump out 3/3 Flying tokens for 1 mana each. Plaxcaster Frogling shroud your creatures, and the Oblivion Rings take care of any unforeseen threats.The rest of the cards in the deck are there to either boost token production or hinder your opponent.

I've been thinking of getting cards to make an exalted deck mostly based on the Sole Domination intro pack that is coming in M13. Instead of buying the deck, I think I will just buy the cards single so I get a better selection for a bit extra money (though technically less cards). So before I make purchase cards, I would like to see what you guys think about this deck.

Exalted Deck

Casual Format

Creature 26

1 Knight of Infamy

1 Knight of Glory

2 Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis

2 Vampire Nighthawk

3 Aven Squire

3 Guardians of Akrasa

4 Tormented Soul

2 Ajani's Sunstriker

2 Child of Night

3 Duty-Bound Dead

3 Akrasan Striker

non creature 10

2 Angelic Benediction

1 Ring of Thune

1 Ring of Xathrid

2 Oblivion Ring

2 Recumbent Bliss

2 Doom Blade (or Murder)

24 lands

10 Swamp

10 Plains

4 Evolving Wilds (Because things like Isolated Chapel and Cathedral of War are currently unaffordable XD)

4 Tainted Soul

4 Knight of Infamy

4 Gravecrawler

4 Diregraf Ghoul

4 Demonlord of Ashmouth

4 Duress

4 Sign in Blood

4 Murder

4 Dark Favor

4 Tragic Slip

20 Swamps

I just got back from a prerelease of M13. I did... poorly. But I did see the sudden potential for Monoblack aggro. This is something I came up with in two minutes, keeping it Innistrad/M13 for now. I would absolutely love to run MBA again. Probably needs more oomph but that's what Return to Ravnica is for.

Edit: Oops. Forgot Vampire Nighthawk.

...Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek combo...

I love this combo! Looks like a fun deck, as I think Sigil Captain is pretty weak, but super fun. I use him in several different decks.

Biggest thing I would do to this deck is add 1-drops. I dislike not having play on the first turn.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently through a new Legacy Deck together that is protee boss. it's a Fair to Play deck, because it takes a couple turns to get started, but it works very nicely

Deck Name: Dragon Swarm:

Creatures:

|4x|Dragonbrood Mother

|4x|Balefire Dragon

|3x|Mordient Dragon

|4x|Dragonmaster Outcast

|4x|Dragonspeaker Shamen

|4x|Sakura-Tribe Elder

Artifacts:

|4x| Quicksilver Amulets

Instants/Sorceries:

|4x|Rampant Growth

|2x|Harrow

|3x|Cultivate

Enchantments:

|2x|Crucible of Fire

Land:

|4x|Copperling Gorge

|4x|Rootbound Craige

|6x|Forest

|9x|Mountain

This is a really fun deck to play and normally by turn 7 I'll have 20 dragons on the field because of Broodmother.

What is a "fair to play" deck?

Looking at the deck, I would assume that it means "A live and let live metagame".

If this deck is competitive for you, I'd love to play with your friends, because I could play a lot of my wackier decks that I am hesitant to play in either of my two groups. Like my cat deck, the deck that has 40 creatures, my fire-breathing deck, and MY dragon deck.

Comments:

• This is a ramp deck. These are not consistent, because your deck has two halves (mana acceleration, and big creatures) and you can only be successful if you get plenty of both. This may not sound so bad, but remember that most people only have to deal with mana screw, or mana flood. You have to deal with acceleration flood and dragon flood as well. For instance, if you only draw one spell to accelerate you, then, you might not get any dragons down until turn 5, which is very slow to have made your first play. If you only draw one dragon, then my doom blade invalidates everything that you worked towards. As such, there is a lot that you might want to do to tighten it up. The amulets and the crucibles are strong, but 6 is too many because they reduce the number of each of your halves of the deck. Additionally, the amulets are very expensive, and they don't play well together. You might not be disappointed with three rampant growths, but three amulets would be terrible. Also, a ramp deck with no first turn acceleration sets you back a turn. What about Birds of Paradise?
  • Your primary win condition assumes that no one is going to deal with you dragons for an entire round, and you have no way to defend them. Hasty dragons would go a long way to keeping people off guard. The new Thundermaw Hellkite would be amazing if you can afford it, but my budget version is the Charging Hellkite, which has won me many games (and give you a mana-sinc).
  • Disruption: Your deck can't beat a Peacemaker. There are plenty of creatures that can wreck your day. You might want to put in a couple of lightning bolts. Or at least a Kilnmouth Dragon or a Shivan Hellkite if you don't want to dilute your theme. Hoard-Smelter Dragon, Flameblast Dragon and Steel Hellkite also have the ability to destroy problem cards.
  • Cheaper dragons would be nice too! Hoarding Dragon is a 4/4 for 3RR, and if you have Steel Hellkite in the deck, people may be afraid to kill it.

...Cloudkey...Ryusei...Rorix Bladewing...

Wow, I didn't even know that cloud key existed. Cool card. Though in this deck, Ruby Medallion is probably better.

But neither is very good because it runs contrary to the dragonmaster outcast to have acceleration that doesn't supply additional lands.

I'm not a fan of the outcast because he makes your whole deck want bad mana acceleration. Green has lots of ways to accelerate you for one mana, but none that get a land into play on the first turn. The outcasts are powerful, but I don't think they are worth the speed you lose.

Ryusei would kill the outcasts and shaman though!

Rorix is kinda cool. I'd forgotten about him. I might have one of him, and three Hellkite Chargers.

Well, here's the first iteration of a new budget deck concept I've been working on: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=358448

The idea is to overwhelm your opponent(s) with excessive drawing and discarding. Kederekt Parasite, the enchantments, Runeflare Trap, and Molten Psyche are the main win conditions, with Obstinate Familiar, Sangromancer, and the rest of the deck providing survivability and utility.